• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Sony is Under Major Pressure to Cut the Price of the Vita or Risk a Major Failure”

Oppo

OldJadedGamer said:
But was the Vita's price only considered good when compared to the 3DS? I'm not saying it is or not but wonder if the reaction would have been the same had the 3DS been released at the real price.
It's a good point, but I don't think so.In a bizarre way the PS3 launch braced some people for the old high priced Sony I think. But for most GAFfers, I think they simply looked at the tech and concluded that Sony was going for broke again in the design — it really has everything but internal memory — and concluded that they had not learned anything, and so were surprised by a reasonable price. And not to pull out the hoary old inflation argument, but it really is quite reasonable, all things considered. Whether the public perceives it as so is yet to be answered but they managed to get it well under $300 for launch, which bodes quite well overall.

btkadams

StevieP said:
Oh wow, you guys actually believe Sony still wants to market this thing as a "lifestyle device" like the PSP? Dear lord...
well since sony has said they're competition is the ipad, and the ipad is marketed as that...is it really hard to believe? obviously itll have a huge game focus but i think it will still have that multifunction marketing.

StevieP

Banned
btkadams said:
well since sony has said they're competition is the ipad, and the ipad is marketed as that...is it really hard to believe? obviously itll have a huge game focus but i think it will still have that multifunction marketing.

It's a gaming machine, and will only succeed (or fail) as a gaming machine. Give people the mass-market software that makes it a must-have device, and people will buy it. Nobody in their right mind would buy it to replace their ipods.

Now Gamer: Sony Needs To Lower PS Vita Price - Analysts
Industry-watchers say PS Vita will struggle at confirmed RRP

Sony came under pressure to lower the price of the PS Vita following Nintendo's announced price-cut for the 3DS. PS Vita is set to launch in the UK for £229 or £279 for a 3G version.

Sony has since confirmed that the PS Vita won't launch in the US and Europe before 2012.

"We suspect Sony will lower the price of the Vita if they are unable to launch the hardware this holiday for US / Europe," Janco Partners' Mike Hickey told NowGamer.

"It seems unlikely under our current economic profile that a $250 price point can sustain meaningful channel velocity within a seasonally less significant period," added Hickey, citing Nintendo's struggles with the 3DS which launched in March.

The analyst also mentioned increasing pressure from mobiles and tablets which continue to generate "momentous market buzz."

Meanwhile Wedbush Securities' Edward Woo says Nintendo's woes are a warning for Sony. "I think the 3DS price cut and lack of consumer interest is a bad signal to Sony that they also face significant demand challenges for handheld consoles," he told us.

"I think they will try to maintain a much higher price given the likely high costs to build the device, but I think they will end up like Nintendo with weak demand after initial launch so they will have to cut the price soon too."

Sony has hinted that PS Vita launch details will be revealed at Tokyo Game Show next month.

[Nintex]

The analysts are certainly not crazy for proposing this. Especially when you consider that the previous handhelds that did well like the Gameboy's, DS and PSP in Japan did so at low prices.

Andrefpvs

[Nintex] said:
The analysts are certainly not crazy for proposing this. Especially when you consider that the previous handhelds that did well like the Gameboy's, DS and PSP in Japan did so at low prices.

I still remember when I couldn't get a Gameboy because it was EXPENSIVE!

Man, do times change...

I think we will see very competitive pricing when the network subsidised units are announced. We could even see free units with $40 data plans which I think could prove very popular.

SkylineRKR

$250 is a low price for what you get but its a high price for the consumers that are just out to buy a handheld device. Psychologically speaking, the Vita feels even more expensive if Sony is indeed going to announce a pricedrop of the Ps3 during Gamescom.

Sony needs to find and lure that core audience that actually looks at bells and whistles and knows that $250 is a steal. But isn't that audience satisfied with just an iPad?

Its going to be hard.

patsu

Dropping price is only one of the possible responses, not the only way forward. The analysts are not marketing, product or development people. They are number crunchers. That's why they can only propose a number game.

Instead of lowering the price, they may subsidiate the price of the 3G version, like the iPhone, selling it for 100 or 150$, but with mandatory 3G fee during a year.

Eyeh4wk

1-D_FTW said:
They could honestly lower it to anything and just jack up the memory card prices that much more. This is the biggest flaw in the pricing. The 250 isn't even real. You'll need a proprietary memory card and we don't know if they're going to screw us over on that.
You know they will. And to think they learned their lesson with the digital cameras, sigh.

Mr_Brit

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
They could honestly lower it to anything and just jack up the memory card prices that much more. This is the biggest flaw in the pricing. The 250 isn't even real. You'll need a proprietary memory card and we don't know if they're going to screw us over on that.
You don't need a memory card.

patsu

Kafel said:
They'll change the Vita components and then lower the price.

They've already started btw.

It's using off the shelf components mostly. Whoever give them the cheapest quote and match the specs can be used in different batch of production. It should be a continuous and on-going process.

Whether they lower the price may be decided separately. It may or may not be necessary.

the "$250 is too much for a handheld" is quite the funny angle considering that price was praised damn near universally UP UNTIL the fucking 3DS price drop. no, the $250 price initially wasn't considered awesome BECAUSE of the 3DS, but because everyone though that it would cost $400 or more because of the technology. when it was announced at $250, everyone considered that a fucking steal. nothing about that has changed, it still is a fucking steal.

wtf does 3DS have to do with any of this? i don't see why it has any affect. this might actually be the only time sony's "our higher prices will make consumers think 'quality' with the product" tactic of old will actually work.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
the "$250 is too much for a handheld" is quite the funny angle considering that price was praised damn near universally UP UNTIL the fucking 3DS price drop. no, the $250 price initially wasn't considered awesome BECAUSE of the 3DS, but because everyone though that it would cost $400 or more because of the technology. when it was announced at $250, everyone considered that a fucking steal. nothing about that has changed, it still is a fucking steal.

wtf does 3DS have to do with any of this? i don't see why it has any affect. this might actually be the only time sony's "our higher prices will make consumers think 'quality' with the product" tactic of old will actually work.
Sorry, but the spooging over the price had everything to do with the 3ds.

Mr_Brit said:
You don't need a memory card.
You will if you plan to download any games. Retail games will have space on the cards for writing saves and possibly some dlc though, so you could get away with no memory card if you plan to only ever buy physical.

I still think Sony might include a small memory card with the system though. Even if just 1-2GB for themes, minis, etc. Then if people want a larger dd collection with multiplt PSP/Vita games, they can go out and buy a larger card at premium pricepoints.

NEO0MJ

The price was revealed while the 3DS was still early in it's life and had decent sales. But because of it's extremely low sales the past couple of months and the fact that the original DS is still selling huge numbers people now believe that $250 is too much for a handheld, regardless of how much it offers consumers.
At least that's my opinion on the matter.

The original conversation was "Wow! We hardcore gamers are surprised and consider that a good value. Technoloy, fuck yeah!"

The new conversation is "Wait. If NINTENDO of all companies has given up hope for a successful mass market/mainstream $250 handheld should Sony follow suit?"

Two different things.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
elrechazao said:
Sorry, but the spooging over the price had everything to do with the 3ds.
I think it had everything to do with most estimates being $300+. Check the GAF thread for some prime crazy.

Price-matching the 3DS was the cherry though.

But it did lose some of its impact when the 3DS dropped, nobody can deny that, especially considering how drastic the drop was.

kliklik

Banned
I'm sure SOMEONE somewhere back in the thread has mentioned this, but $250 isn't too high for a handheld...as long as you give everyone a clear concept of how they're going to use it. Aka. have desirable games at launch and scheduled to follow up shortly after.

I just got two people iPads (who are paying me back!) - one already had a Kindle. Why did they want it? They had a clear concept of how they were going to use it. One was going to use it to take notes during meetings, another was going to use it to look at pdfs, floorplans, and pictures on site visits.

So even if you initially don't have many uses for it, as long as you have a few very compelling ones, it can justify the high price of entry, and then they'll find more uses for it once they have it. But you need that initial compelling reason to get it in their hands.

jonnybryce said:
The new conversation is "Wait. If NINTENDO of all companies has given up hope for a successful mass market/mainstream $250 handheld should Sony follow suit?"

But wasnt the tepid response to the 3ds at the $250 price point that it didnt offer a large enough change that warranted the price tag? That along with poor software offerings?

Nintendo had to cut the price based on the response of consumers to get sales back to where they wanted.

patsu

jonnybryce said:
The original conversation was "Wow! We hardcore gamers are surprised and consider that a good value. Technoloy, fuck yeah!"

Two different things.

Sony is targeting the core gamers first.

Both Nintendo and Sony haven't shown any contents and services momentum yet, they shouldn't expect any mainstream consumer momentum _at any price_. People have plenty of options these days.

The lukewarm response may also be because of the lack of surprises and contents as opposed to just a price tag. There is no rush to get into it.

kliklik

Banned
gamerecks said:
But wasnt the tepid response to the 3ds at the $250 price point that it didnt offer a large enough change that warranted the price tag? That along with poor software offerings?

Nintendo had to cut the price based on the response of consumers.

Ya I don't think the response to the 3DS is applicable to the Vita. There's the issue of 1 out of 10 people not being able to see 3D properly, the issue of the 3D giving some of the other 9 out of 10 a headache. Then of course there was a lot of confusion, thinking that the 3DS is merely a different sku of the DS (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS!) and so they already had one, and that confusion was exacerbated by the lack of software. If there had been a bunch of compelling software at launch and it had been apparent to them that this game they want can't be played on their DSi XL, then they'd understand that the 3DS is a completely new system.

I just don't think it's feasible for Sony to cut the price like it is for Nintendo. I think it came out a while ago that it costs ~$110 to make a 3DS, so at $170, they still have a hefty profit margin. But at $250 the Vita will already be sold at a loss.

Magnus

You guys have to remember that the average consumer isn't comparing specs and technology to anywhere near the degree that we on GAF do. They're not going to look at a feature set and start listing things to realize that $250 is probably a fair price for the damned thing. They're certainly not going to dump cash on the device merely because of the tech. What good is tech (to the average gamer) like a revolutionary rear touch pad unless there's an awesome game they can play? They just want to play the game, and pay as little as possible for it.

They're either going to get one (if they can afford it) for a killer game or two that comes out for the system, or, they're going to be the consumer buying it as a gift for their kids or family members, and they're going to look at the price of the two main competitors (the 3DS and the Vita) and see one as being practically $100 cheaper, and featuring fucking Mario. Answer will be that simple for them.

If the salesperson dares inform them that there are additional costs (like a memory card) whereas the 3DS is set and loaded with the SD card and everything you need, that'll sway the decision even more.

To say "what does the 3DS have to do with the Vita" in this sort of discussion is ridiculous. All these portable devices, their features and prices, will weigh heavily on each other.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like some black magic voodoo shit. BURN THE ANALYSTS AT THE STAKE.

patsu

I doubt Vita's initial audience are kids. That's Nintendo's turf.

I suspect Vita sells more to gadget people at the beginning. Specs do mean more to them, and contents of course. The key is to surprise consumers and get them addicted to some games.

Mario has a huge following but AngryBird came from no where and took the world by storm. Sony needs to show compelling contents on Vita.

test_account

XP-39C²
Shadow of the BEAST said:
they removed more ram?

i thought it had 256mb ram and 128 mb vram. 384 in total.
No, all this RAM removal talk is just rumor based. We dont know for sure how much RAM the PS Vita will have or how much it originally had. But i'm sure that we will know sooner or later how much RAM the PS Vita will have at least.

Top Bottom