• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

¡Vamos a aprender español!- Let's Learn Spanish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

Its like saying in English 'the 'adjective' one/thing. It carries both the 'the' and 'thing' in an English sentence

'The pretty one/thing' = lo bonito

'The big one/thing' = lo grande

'The ugly one/thing' = lo feo

Thing is probably the better translation for how its used in English. You'd translate an English sentence like 'the most important thing is to study' its 'lo más importante es estudiar'
Yeah that's how I figured that would work. Can you use los to make it plural? Can you say "Throw the dirty ones in the trash" with "Tira los sucios en la basura".

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That would be perfect. Replacing EN with A would be even better for my Spanish ears and eyes, but both forms are fine.

Fake edit: how did I miss this thread?

Tizoc

What's the difference between Vamos and Vamanos?
...and how could one write the upside down ! without copy-pasting?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Vamanos doesn't exist, for starters ;)

Vámonos (let's go) is more informal, whereas vamos is more formal and even asserting, kind of like just "go”.

TheContact

Vamanos doesn't exist, for starters ;)

Vámonos (let's go) is more informal, whereas vamos is more formal and even asserting, kind of like just "go”.

Took 5 years of Spanish and every one of my teachers/professors have used Vamanos. Is this some kind of regional thing?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Took 5 years of Spanish and every one of my teachers/professors have used Vamanos. Is this some kind of regional thing?

I doubt it, at least not to an exclusive degree. They are both interchangeable in some aspects, but vamos just happens to be more formal and has some other uses.

You can say "Vamos a tener problemas" (we are going to have trouble), but "Vámonos a tener problems" would be incorrect. "Vámonos/Vamos por aquí" (let's go over here) would be correct in both cases, but "Vamos por aquí, tendremos menos problemas" (let's go over here, we'll have less trouble) sounds better than "Vámonos por aquí, tendremos menos problemas" since that extra "os" is not really needed to express the second person. From what I've seen, Latin American Spanish is specially fond of vámonos, even if both forms are used.

Vámonos is a conjucation of irse not ir.

Vámonos isn't a standard conjugation but think of it like a command 'let's go', all other times its vamos (I think the proper way would be vayámonos but vámonos has just formed as a truncated way of saying that) and vamos is a more a statement of 'we go'.

Also there is a different in Spanish between ir and irse. Ir is a plain 'to go' while irse (me voy, nos vamos) imply a more forceful kind of 'leave'.

I heard 'nos vamos' used similarly to vámonos a lot. But its again like I said more of a statement, so 'we're leaving' vs 'let's go'

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And remember kids
tuna_zpsc9d81a9f.jpg

Don't forget these little shits.

26l7tMz.jpg

Yeah that's how I figured that would work. Can you use los to make it plural? Can you say "Throw the dirty ones in the trash" with "Tira los sucios en la basura".
Yes, but remember when you start refering to real objects you switch to genered pronouns.

Do if youre refering to dirty apples you can't refer to them as 'los sucios' they would be 'las sucias'. Using lo + adjective is mostly used when for an abstract concept.

When I used the lo grande example your not referring to a specific thing but the concept of 'bigness'
That would be perfect. Replacing EN with A would be even better for my Spanish ears and eyes, but both forms are fine.

Fake edit: how did I miss this thread?
This is something I still struggle with. Prepostions in languages is something I'm always learning.

It just comes from hearing it and you learn to stop translating.

For example yo sueño con el fin del mundo gets translated to I dream about the end of the world even though there is no other time 'con' becomes 'about' in translation.

Two Words

Yes I hate prepositions so much. Especially prepositions that follow verbs as a requirement. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I suppose English can be similar. I have to just memorize stuff like de after terminal in"Yo he terminado de comer."

yo sueño con el fin del mundo? --> cant say that in present, because you cant dream and talk-->correct forms would be: soñé con el fin del mundo, soñé que era el fin del mundo

yo he terminado de comer--> better just say terminé de comer

Two Words

Couldn't you say "Sueño con el fin del mondo" if it is something you do a lot? Like if somebody asked "What do you usually dream about", you could respond "I dream about the end of the world."

One of the best things for that is just to read. You start learning by context and by osmosis, like how you learned english prepositions. Nobody ever explained the rules I'm assuming, and english is confusing and varies by location.

Waiting on line vs waiting in line

quarter of ten, quarter to ten, quarter till ten

yo sueño con el fin del mundo? --> cant say that in present, because you cant dream and talk-->correct forms would be: soñé con el fin del mundo, soñé que era el fin del mundo

yo he terminado de comer--> better just say terminé de comer

Habitual action

I dream [constantly] about the end of the world.

Yes I hate prepositions so much. Especially prepositions that follow verbs as a requirement. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I suppose English can be similar. I have to just memorize stuff like de after terminal in"Yo he terminado de comer."

I hear ya. I've been speaking and learning English since forever and I still have issues with in/on/at sometimes. I guess some things will just be magically burned in your brains after years of use *sighs*

I do have a question for spanish speakers:

I have a few history books and I am always confused why these books are often written in the present tense when discussing historical events.

its real jarring to see "En el año 1945 termina la segunda guerra mundial." instead of "en el año terminó la segunda guerra mundial"

I have a few history books and am always confused why these books are always written in the present tense when discussing historical events.

its real jarring to see "En el año 1945 termina la segunda guerra mundial." instead of "en el año terminó la segunda guerra mundial"

This is called historical present. It's a special use of the present for events that happened in the past. It's usually clear from the context that you're referring to past events (it's not something you can really use in your daily life). This doesn't exist in English right?

This is called historical present. It's a special use of the present for events that happened in the past. It's usually clear by the context that you're referring to past events, and it's not something can really use in your daily life. This is doesn't exist in English right?

I've seen it used occasionally but not very often, and its almost always used in first person.

It seems really common in spanish.

I learned that too. From what I learned, you use the present tense whenever a time setting is given. Like "Hace ocho meses, empiezo aprender español.

Eh, I'm 99% you'd use empecé there.

Two Words

I have a few history books and I am always confused why these books are often written in the present tense when discussing historical events.

I learned that too. From what I learned, you use the present tense whenever a time setting is given. Like "Hace ocho meses, empiezo aprender español."

Santiako

I learned that too. From what I learned, you use the present tense whenever a time setting is given. Like "Hace ocho meses, empiezo aprender español."

That is incorrect actually, it would be "Hace ocho meses empecé a aprender español".

EDIT: The "historical present" is used when given a context of time eg "En 1942, Colón descubre América", it's usually only used in narrative though. When talking you'd probably just use the past tense "En 1942 Colón descubrió América".

DedValve

Banned
Hip Hop en español es basura.
Lo siento, es mi opinion.

El Residente Calle 13 quieres tener una palabra contigo
I'm too lazy to remember how to do accents on a keyboard.

Are there any good tech sites in spanish? Ever since I moved to the US I only speak spanish, I haven't written or read spanish in years, I already feel super crummy and might have forgotten everything I learned haha.

Doesn't help that I've been addicted to internet forums as a child and thats where I kept practicing my english. What is "forum" in spanish anyways? I've never, ever heard that word once.

El Residente Calle 13 quieres tener una palabra contigo
I'm too lazy to remember how to do accents on a keyboard.

Are there any good tech sites in spanish? Ever since I moved to the US I only speak spanish, I haven't written or read spanish in years, I already feel super crummy and might have forgotten everything I learned haha.

Doesn't help that I've been addicted to internet forums as a child and thats where I kept practicing my english. What is "forum" in spanish anyways? I've never, ever heard that word once.
foro

Two Words

That is incorrect actually, it would be "Hace ocho meses empecé a aprender español".

EDIT: The "historical present" is used when given a context of time eg "En 1942, Colón descubre América", it's usually only used in narrative though. When talking you'd probably just use the past tense "En 1942 Colón descubrió América".
Hmm, I'm getting some inconsistencies from my lessons....

Unos de mis compañeros de trabajo se dicen español, pero, casi siempre, lo uso por probar el tilde en mi teclado. Tomé la materia en la escuela secundaria, lol...

Subbing, please correct my grammar. I'll need to find a good grammar book online sometime.

It's a narrative form. Don't bother with it in day to day use.

Man I never stopped to think, but spanish must be a bitch for foreginers.
Its not, its probably one of if not the easiest for english speakers. I think some of the Nordic languages are easier grammatically but their sounds are more difficult and the vocab is really different since english took so much french.

I remember this video, its funny but the premise is silly IMO. There are regional differences in a language, its not a very hard language at all, and in fact it has much more conformity between the different dialects than a lot of other languages.

worth a watch though!

zruben

Banned
Unos de mis compañeros de trabajo se dicen español, pero, casi siempre, lo uso por probar el tilde en mi teclado. Tomé la materia en la escuela secundaria, lol...

Subbing, please correct my grammar. I'll need to find a good grammar book online sometime.

allright.

Algunos de mis compañeros de trabajo se hablan en español, pero casi siempre lo uso para probar el tilde en mi teclado (unnecessary commas). Tomé la materia en la escuela secundaria, RBF (riéndome bien fuerte)...

The difference between "algunos" and "unos" is very subtle (almost no difference at all), but "unos" is almost never used as a sentence starter.

"Dicen" is used when you have a very specific thing to say, in this case, it would work if you said something like "se dicen frases en español", you are referring to specific phrases. "Hablan" is more like saying "speak".

The commas you used were unnecessary pauses.

"Para" replaces "to"... "por" replaces "by"

the RBF is just a joke

I have no idea what your trying to say in your first sentence.

One of your coworkers speaks spanish?

Thats: Uno/algunos (depending on if your saying 'one' or 'a few', I can't tell from context) de mis compañeros (de trabajo) habla/n español.

I have no idea what the second part is saying, "you use to try the tilde on your keyboard"? Don't know what your meaning with that is

And for your last sentence its Llevé not tomé. Llevar is 'to take a class', tomar is other versions of to take (or even to drink in certain contexts)

allright.

Algunos de mis compañeros de trabajo se hablan en español, pero casi siempre lo uso para probar el tilde en mi teclado (unnecessary commas). Tomé la materia en la escuela secundaria, RBF (riéndome bien fuerte)...

The difference between "algunos" and "unos" is very subtle (almost no difference at all), but "unos" is almost never used as a sentence starter.

"Dicen" is used when you have a very specific thing to say, in this case, it would work if you said something like "se dicen frases en español", you are referring to specific phrases. "Hablan" is more like saying "speak".

The commas you used were unnecessary pauses.

"Para" replaces "to"... "por" replaces "for"

the RBF is just a joke
I can't tell if he's trying to say if they/he speak/s spanish in general or if they talk in spanish amongst themselves.

zruben

Banned
I have no idea what your trying to say in your first sentence.

One of your coworkers speaks spanish?

Thats: Algunos de mis compañeros (de trabajo) habla español.

I have no idea what the second part is saying, "you use to try the tilde on your keyboard"? Don't know what your meaning with that

And for your last sentence its Llevé not tomé. Llevar is 'to take a class', tomar is other versions of to take (or even to drink in certain contexts)

while you're right... it's a very informal use of the word. At least here in México.

zruben

Banned
I can't tell if he's trying to say if they/he speak/s spanish in general or if they talk in spanish amongst themselves.

well, yeah, the whole sentence is kind of confusing, that's what I understood.

maybe if he post the english version, we can help a little more.

while you're right... it's a very informal use of the word. At least here in México.

yeah, but I never heard tomar used that way. Hacer or asistir can be used too.

But that kind of phrasing was rarely used. Much more common in my experience to say I have ___ class or I'm enrolled in ___. With the respective verbs.

I've never heard Llevar used in that context. It's always been Tome, at least in Puerto Rican Spanish.

I hear it in spanglish and english speakers. I never heard it in Guadalajara or Madrid when I lived in both.

Siendo sue aprendí el castellano en España, puedo user la palabra 'coger' dentro de los Estados Unidos sin que alguien se ofienda?

zruben

Banned
Siendo sue aprendí el castellano en España, puedo user la palabra 'coger' dentro de los Estados Unidos sin que alguien se ofienda?

Mexican Americans will giggle a little when you say it. In Mexico, "coger" is a way to say "to fuck" (in a sexual way)...

The rest of Latin Americans use "coger" as "to take", or "to grab".

EDIT: If you want to avoid the giggling, you can use "agarrar" or "tomar" instead.

maybe if he post the english version, we can help a little more.
"Some of my co-workers speak Spanish, but, for the most part, I use it to try the tilde on my keyboard. I took the subject in high school..."

Not sure how else I can word "I use it to try the tilde on my keyboard". Shouldn't matter, I have much to relearn.

zruben

Banned
"Some of my co-workers speak Spanish, but, for the most part, I use it to try the tilde on my keyboard. I took the subject in high school..."

Not sure how else I can word "I use it to try the tilde on my keyboard". Shouldn't matter, I have much to relearn.

the most "precise" and "correct" translation for this would be:

"Algunos de mis compañeros de trabajo hablan español, pero, la mayoría de las veces, yo lo uso para probar la tilde en mi teclado. Cursé la materia en preparatoria..."

(i still think it works without the commas there, LOL)

Two Words

"Cojer" y "coger" se pronuncian de la misma. Pero, cojer significa "to catch or grab" en España, y coger significa "to fuck" en los Estados Unidos.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
"Cojer" doesn't exist, though. It's certainly not normative.

It just happens that "Coger" has both meanings in some places, such as Mexico and Argentina. It's not the same case as "Ostia" (huge slap) and "Hostia" (sacramental bread/body of Christ), which sound the same but have largely different meanings.

Santiako

"Cojer" y "coger" se pronuncian de la misma. Pero, cojer significa "to catch or grab" en España, y coger significa "to fuck" en los Estados Unidos.

"Cojer" does not exist actually, it's all "coger" and as you say it means to grab in Spain and most of Latin America and to fuck in México, Argentina and some other places (USA apparently).

AlexBasch

Eso significa ostia? Toda la vida pensé que era algo así como "qué molestia" o "mierda". Lo que aprende uno.

Y sí, hablar con españoles y que usen 'coger' para todo resulta en situaciones muy divertidas para un mexicano.

Good thread people. Use 'agarrar' instead if you're in that area instead. :p

Santiako

Eso significa ostia? Toda la vida pensé que era algo así como "qué molestia" o "mierda". Lo que aprende uno.

Y sí, hablar con españoles y que usen 'coger' para todo resulta en situaciones muy divertidas para un mexicano.

Good thread people. Use 'agarrar' instead if you're in that area instead. :p

Ostia tiene muchos usos como "¡Ostia ya!" o "¡Me cago en la ostia!", es una palabra versátil :p

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Both, really.

Le voy a dar una hostia/un hostión -> I'm going to slap the shit out of him
Hostia, ¡se me va a escapar el autobús! -> Fuck, I'm going to miss the bus!

And so on. It's not as crazy versatile as cojones, but you get the drift.

What is the fastest way to type accents/tildes nowadays? I haven't had to type Spanish consistently since college a decade ago, when there were all those annoying number codes. I assume there's a virtual keyboard or something better by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom