• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

¡Vamos a aprender español!- Let's Learn Spanish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to say that Shakira's music in spanish is 100 times better than the crap she releases today. Really good stuff. :p

Pero en serio, tambien tratare ayudar.

Two Words

this makes me mad beyond belief. I have a friend who constantly does that... I've been trying to correct him since the ICQ times, but he STILL WRITES IT LIKE THAT... DAMMIT!!!!

btw, in most of Latin America, the correct way to say the imperative for "correct me" would be "corrígeme".

"corregidme" would be for Spain + Argentina spanish, I think.
Wouldn't it be corrígenme if it is replacing vosotros with ustedes?

Raptor

Yo puedo ayudar a hablar español.

Puro español del bajo mundo de Mexico como si quieres decir algo asi como "Fuck that gore is fantastic in TLOU" se dice "Shingao ese pinche sangral se ve arrajasuputa madre en El Ultimo de Nosotros"

BAÑAME LA CARA EN SANGRE ARRRRGHHHH!!!

Clevinger

No? I mean like "hablar" turns to "hable" (-ar to -er) to make the imperative ("TALK, damnit!"). Am I wrong in that?

Formal (usted) imperative: hable
Informal (tú) imperative: habla

Then it gets even more confusing with the negative imperative.

Formal: No hable
Informal: No hables

zruben

Banned
I just wanted to say that Shakira's music in spanish is 100 times better than the crap she releases today. Really good stuff. :p

Pero en serio, tambien tratare ayudar.

word.
Shakira's lyrics before her "americanization" were fucking poetry.

jw2b20T7QHSSm.jpg

Wouldn't it be corríjanme if it is replacing vosotros with ustedes?

"Vosotros" is only used in Argentina and Spain as far as I know. The rest of spanish speakers use "ustedes".
"Ustedes corríjanme" would be the right way in Mexico, "Vosotros corregidme" would be the correct use for Spain and Argentina.

EDIT: totally misread your post.

Linkark07

Banned
btw, in most of Latin America, the correct way to say the imperative for "correct me" would be "corrígeme".

You could also say, corríjame.

In case people don't know, in Spanish, you has two forms: tú and usted. Tú is more informal and usted is more formal.

Edit: forgot you also means ustedes. But that is plural.

Sylver

Banned

For some english native the main problem is "you/tú/usted", I mean when you write or talk to one person or for more than one "you/vosotros/ustedes"

Corrígeme (tú) - correct me (coloquial)
Corríjame (usted) - correct me (when you talk to one other person) (formal)
Corríjanme (ustedes) - correct me (when you talk to more than one person) (formal)
Corregidme (vosotros) - correct me (coloquial)

All those forms are correct but corregirme is wrong.

word.

http://i.minus.com/jw2b20T7QHSSm.jpg[/IG]

[/QUOTE]
And not just one song either, a lot of songs with great music and lyrics. She should re release them in english now that she is famous and people eat whatever she makes up.
She was amazing.

Also Clevinger. I was under the impression that "Hable" was always the formal way, regardless of if the sentence is negative or not.

GYODX

I'm pretty sure the use of el before a language name is grammatically correct. But I can't prove it!

It is in some instances, but it sounds unnatural in the thread title for some reason. I can't explain why.

"vamos a aprender inglés" 91,600 results
"vamos a aprender el inglés" 3,190 results

"vamos a aprender japonés" 50,200 results
"vamos a aprender el japonés" 8 results

I'm pretty sure the use of el before a language name is grammatically correct. But I can't prove it!

Im with GYODX, "el español"sounds unnatural. You can say "el" before a language, only when it's the subject of the sentence. In the OP's case, "español" is not the subject.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Formal (usted) imperative: hable
Informal (tú) imperative: habla

Then it gets even more confusing with the negative imperative.

Formal: No hable
Informal: No hables

You know what I remember that now. Thank you. Would I use the usted or tu form in a conversation like this, on a forum?

Clevinger

You know what I remember that now. Thank you. Would I use the usted or tu form in a conversation like this, on a forum?

Tú forms for friends, close family, and any informal situations like talking on a forum.

I think you'd just use usted when you want to be polite. Like your elders, bosses, customers, teachers, your girlfriend/boyfriend's parents, people you're meeting for the first time. That type of stuff.

"Usted" is used when talking to older people, your superior (boss at work, teacher at school) or someone you respect. Since you usually don't know the age of the users here and chances are you don't respect them in any significant way, with some exceptions, you use "tu".

zruben

Banned

"Usted" is only used when talking to your elders, professors, bosses, random strangers on the steet when you ask for directions, store clerks, etc.

People who you need to address with a certain level of respect or education.

Manu

"Vosotros" is only used in Argentina and Spain as far as I know. The rest of spanish speakers use "ustedes".
"Ustedes corríjanme" would be the right way in Mexico, "Vosotros corregidme" would be the correct use for Spain and Argentina.

Nope, we also say "corríjanme". Argentinian Spanish is its own beast, totally different than Spain or the rest of Latin America.

Spanish Terms change from nationality to nationality, even though Spanish throughout the Spanish speaking community is universal. It's a little bit confusing just depends who you are addressing ex: ( argentinians, Mexicans, Dominicans , columbians and so on) even though spaniards ( españoles) speak the proper español castellano.

zruben

Banned
I can only listen to Shakira from ¿Dónde están los ladrones? and below.

the MTV Unplugged disc was also kinda cool.

Nope, we also say "corríjanme". Argentinian Spanish is its own beast, totally different than Spain or the rest of Latin America.

and here I was thinking I had it all figured out. hahaha.

yeah, the truth is that every country speaks it differently, it's hard to keep track of all. Chileans also speak in a very peculiar way, I had a telephone conversation with a Chilean last month and I understood about 40% of what he said. (I'm Mexican)

Dos mujeres un caminoooooo
A una me une un cariñoooo, por Dios bendecido.
La otra es un bello pecado, es amor prohibidooooooo.

word.

jw2b20T7QHSSm.jpg

I'm not lit critic but Some of her songs still have more than that

En la arena escribí
Lo que te llego amar
Y aún no lo borra
Ni la sal de el mar

Permíteme soñar
Que todavía estas aquí
Aun quiero seguir loca por ti

Sigo sola aquí en este parque
Falta todo si faltas tu
Imagino tu cuerpo aquí
Con la luna a contra luz
Me quedare, bebiendo esta copa a tu salud

Se que al amanecer
Mis lagrimas caerán
Y entre la lluvia se confundirán

Déjame continuar
Ebria y soñando aquí
Sabiendo que estoy
Loca por ti

Falta todo si faltas tu
Imagino tu cuerpo aquí
Con la luna a contra luz
Me quedare, bebiendo esta copa a tu salud

Falta todo si faltas tu
Imagino tu cuerpo aquí
Con la luna a contra luz
Y no me iré, sin antes brindar a tu salud

Me bebo esta copa a tu salud

No actúes tan extraño
Duro como una roca
Si te mostré pedazos de piel
Que la luz del sol aún no toca
Y tantos lunares que ni yo misma conocía
Te mostré mi fuerza bruta
Mi talón de Aquiles, mi poesía

Qué harás solo una historia más
Qué haré si no te vuelvo a ver
Oh, oh

Si desde el día en que no estas
Vi la noche llegar mucho antes de las seis
Mucho antes

No dejes el barco
Tanto antes de que zarpemos
Hacia una isla desierta
Y después, después veremos
Si me ves desarmada
Porque lanzas tus misiles
Si ya conoces mis puntos cardinales
Los más sensibles y sutiles

Qué harás la vida lo dirá
Qué haré si no te vuelvo a ver
Oh, oh

Mucho antes de las seis

Mucho antes

He vuelto de un viaje lejano con el mapa an en la mano
radios distractores, canciones de luto y alucinaciones
Vociferantes ondas ya interrumpian la calidad del silencio
sentia un placer eterno al contemplarte, hablabas, murmurabas o cantabas?
He vuelto del viaje dvota del sonido que produce tu nombre en mis labios
En tus labios...

Devocin, oleaje que palpita sobre mi
Un minuto necesit tan solo un minuto para desnudar tu alma
Los segundos vinieron hacia mi, reconoce este mundo es frgil
Una vida que se va, se nos llena de momentos, soledades y mil encuentros
Abnegada, jams utilizada, jams prensada a un mueco figurante
no venero muecos, pero soy dvota al rito de contemplarte.

T tan pasajero como yo, ocupas un espacio del vagn
De vez en cuando duermes tu, y te embriagas del sueo de tu mundo fantastico
A ese al que rehso pertenecer.
Porque tu mundo es un maletn sellado con tus olvidos, tu pasado en gloria
tu jardn de olivos
Tantas veces te encontr slo a ti mismo
con tus ideas de romanticismo, haca falta una historia que tejer
Y entonces conociste la vejez

Devocin, olas altas posan desde aqu
Un minuto necesit tan solo un minuto para desnudar tu alma
Los segundos vinieron hacia mi, reconoce este mundo es fragil
Una vida que se va, se nos llena de momentos, soledades y mil encuentros
Abnegada, jams utilizada, jams prensada a un mueco figurante
no venero muecos, pero soy dvota al rito de contemplarte.

Youre picking pop radio songs and comparing them to a completely different time in music. And how is it "Americanization?" Latin musics become reggeton or really simple pop songs more or less. At least the most popular stuff.

She's released 2 albums back to back the last 2 cycles. One really popy and one more 'spanish'

Two Words

Which vs. What. Easy enough depending on the context. In that case, cuál.
I've learned that "cuál + ser" means "what is" and "qué + ser " is more like "define x". So if you said ""Qué es tu número" it is like asking them to define what your number means, which obviously doesn't make sense.

Marche90

Another native Spanish speaker here. I really hope that this time around the thread won't be closed.

Word of advice: don't go offtopic. As in, don't use this thread as an excuse to post in Spanish about random things that can very well go in other threads. All of us who were in the last thread know how well that went :/

I'll subscribe to the thread and will try to help as much as I can.

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

Herr K

Banned
the MTV Unplugged disc was also kinda cool.

and here I was thinking I had it all figured out. hahaha.

yeah, the truth is that every country speaks it differently, it's hard to keep track of all. Chileans also speak in a very peculiar way, I had a telephone conversation with a Chilean last month and I understood about 40% of what he said. (I'm Mexican)

Pero es que los chilenos no hablan español, lo suyo es "chileno". No tiene otro nombre jaja

I've learned that "cuál + ser" means "what is" and "qué + ser " is more like "define x". So if you said ""Qué es tu número" it is like asking them to define what your number means, which obviously doesn't make sense.
What you learned is correct. A word of advice here, try to make those connections mentally, don't translate things. Learn the language, not its translation. I know it sounds hard, but soon enough you'll find yourself building sentences on the go without a problem.

Adnor

Banned
Another native speaker here, so I can help too.
O mejor no que los chilenos hablamos muy raro así que arruinaría cualquier traducción :V

zruben

Banned
I'm gonna post every day a small list of "complex" or "uncommon" spanish word and their definitions, it can help people expand their vocabulary.

*Keep in mind that this is "Mexican-Spanish"... it may not apply in other spanish-speakers countries.

Abominación (Abomination):
Algo que causa repulsión, desagrado. Algo muy feo.
Something that cause repulsion and disgust. Something ugly

home-nieves.jpg

Dato curioso: Al "Yeti" o "Sasquatch", en español se le llama popularmente "El abominable hombre de las nieves.

Sagaz (Sagacious):
Astuto, valiente, inteligente.
Cunning, brave, smart

Samwise2.jpg

Dato curioso: En español, Samwise se llama Samsagaz

Papalote (Kite):
Versión mexicana de "cometa de papel". Viene de la palabra náhuatl "papalotl", que significa "mariposa"
Mexican version of a "paper kite". Comes from the náhuatl word "papalotl", which means "butterfly"

*"Cometa" también es un cuerpo celestial.
*"Cometa" is also a celestial body. (Comet)

papagayo.jpg

Papalote o cometa.

cometa1.jpg

Cometa

Perfidia (Perfidy)
Deslealtad, traición.
Disloyalty, betrayal

Judas-beso-traidor-version-bizantina_LRZIMA20120405_0063_3.jpg

though I always though perfidy/perfidia had a sense of not only disloyalty but required a kind of feigned loyalty that was betrayed. Like going out of your way to pretend to be a friend THEN stabbing you in the back, rather than just disloyalty

Quinqué (Oil Lamp)
Pequeña lámpara de mesa o de mano, usa aceite o petróleo.
Small table or hand lamp, uses oil or petroleum.

23162400.png

Este es un quinqué.

Speaking of, would you use "Cuál es la diferencia" here instead of Qué?

As Funky said, its which vs the what different in english. Though cuál gets used on some whats like in the sentence you asked. Its more a difference between when you seem to know what you looking for vs. the answer could be anything.

cuál is used when you give choices or you kind of know that your looking for a certain answer and have guidelines (like in your question you're asking for a specific difference)

qué is just used for all other whats, and especially when you have no idea what the answer will be and you've given no perimeters

What you learned is correct. A word of advice here, try to make those connections mentally, don't translate things. Learn the language, not its translation. I know it sounds hard, but soon enough you'll find yourself building sentences on the go without a problem.
This, learning formal rules is good or beginners or if your a linguist but its bad to keep translating. Pretty soon you start knowing the difference without being able to articulate it.

It will be like a native language when you use a word 'because it feels right' rather than any rule.

Read a lot and this will speed up because you'll start seeing when they use the two (among other tricky things) and your brain just starts learning the difference like a kid does (who never really learns the rules.)

Perfidia (Perfidy)
Deslealtad, traición.
Disloyalty, betrayal

(no tengo idea como ilustrar esto, pero se me hizo una palabra interesante).

though I always though perfidy/perfidia had a sense of not only disloyalty but required a kind of feigned loyalty that was betrayed. Like going out of your way to pretend to be a friend THEN stabbing you in the back, rather than just disloyalty

zruben

Banned
Now let's see some differences between Mexico and Spain
differences_zpsfeebf3e9.jpg

I have a question. is it true that Spaniards use "cederrón" to refer to the "CD-ROM"?

yeah, you're right, it's like a more "powerful" word for betrayal, and it implies more stuff. I'm gonna add your comment to my post.

Valkyria

Banned
I have a question. is it true that Spaniards use "cederrón" to refer to the "CD-ROM"?

yeah, you're right, it's like a more "powerful" word for betrayal, and it implies more stuff. I'm gonna add your comment to my post.

Yes it is on the RAE dictionary but nobody use it. We just say CD or disco.

JulianImp

Now that you guys mention it, we Argentine are taught vosotros, but we never ever use it (we go with "ustedes").

For imperative verbs, the transition from "tú" to "vos" is fairly simple for most words, AFAIK. For example "espera" ("wait/hold on") becomes "esperá" (accenctuation changes from the "pe" syllabe to "ra", and so the a becomes á), and "come" (as in "eat") becomes "comé" (again, accenctuation change that forces the é). Then, there are other verbs such as "decir" ("to say") which is "decí" in ES_AR but "di" elsewhere.

The transition from usted to vos is a bit different in that the above examples would use "espere" or "coma" (the final letters are swapped, but that's not a real pattern you should take note of).

EDIT: Also, we have the knack for using the same pronounciation for both "ll" and "y" sounds, so the y in "apoyo" ("to back/support") sounds exactly like the ll in "pollo" ("chicken").

I'm not sure what to call them, but stuff such as who/what/when/where/why (quién/cómo/cuándo/dónde/por qué) are written differently depending on whetheryou're using them to asking a question or not. For example:

¿Por qué no me llamaste? (Why didn't you call me?)
Porque estaba ocupado. (Because I was busy.)

While "por qué/porque" is a bit of an exception, the other questions simply drop their accents, so you get "quien/como/cuando/donde".

Also, I just noticed I have a knack for posting near the end of a thread page...

zruben

Banned
Now that you guys mention it, we Argentine are taught vosotros, but we never ever use it (we go with "ustedes").

For imperative verbs, the transition from "tú" to "vos" is fairly simple for most words, AFAIK. For example "espera" ("wait/hold on") becomes "esperá" (accenctuation changes from the "pe" syllabe to "ra", and so the a becomes á), and "come" (as in "eat") becomes "comé" (again, accenctuation change that forces the é). Then, there are other verbs such as "decir" ("to say") which is "decí" in ES_AR but "di" elsewhere.

The transition from usted to vos is a bit different in that the above examples would use "espere" or "coma" (the final letters are swapped, but that's not a real pattern you should take note of).

EDIT: Also, we have the knack for using the same pronounciation for both "ll" and "y" sounds, so the y in "apoyo" ("to back/support") sounds exactly like the ll in "pollo" ("chicken").

I'm not sure what to call them, but stuff such as who/what/when/where/why (quién/cómo/cuándo/dónde/por qué) are written differently depending on whetheryou're using them to asking a question or not. For example:

¿Por qué no me llamaste? (Why didn't you call me?)
Porque estaba ocupado. (Because I was busy.)

While "por qué/porque" is a bit of an exception, the other questions simply drop their accents, so you get "quien/como/cuando/donde".

Also, I just noticed I have a knack for posting near the end of a thread page...

In Mexico we make a little fun about how you guys pronounce the "ll" and "y".

"¿Querés comer un posho?".

Also, we love Alejo y Valentina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom