• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01net: Mario Galaxy originates from an external source

Instro

The only thing that has bothered me about their rumors lately is that they are no longer from Ubi employees but rather some anonymous Nintendo source who seems to have a ton of info. It's odd that a french site would have a connection high up enough in Nintendo to know these sorts of things.
Amir0x said:
Ever since 01net got like a detail of the Wii U story correct people are now posting whatever they write as if it must be solid :/
People are forgetting that they were not the first site with WiiU info, and that they also got that Vita RAM rumor wrong.

AT THE 01NET HQ

"OK guys, we've been on a roll recently with these bullshit Nintendo rumours. Problem is, they've all been most exciting. We need some negative stuff to make the other stuff sound more believable, because everyone knows insiders love to call people out for being fucking assholes. Bob, what have you got?"
"I can photoshop some pictures of Reggie driving a windowless van around outside a school in Pennsylvania?"
"Yeaaaahhhhhhhh, I don't think so, Bob. Phil, how about you?"
"Well, er, how about we say Nintendo stole all of its best game ideas?"
"..."
"Well sir?"
"...It's... it's perfect."

Amir0x said:
Ever since 01net got like a detail of the Wii U story correct people are now posting whatever they write as if it must be solid :/
01net has been wrong more times in the past than they have been right. This site needs to be a banned source for a very good reason.

At least one of these can readily be proven as false.

The beginning of Pikmin trace back to the Super Mario 128 tech demo from Spaceworld 2000 for Gamecube. Miyamoto even described the movement of many character moving along as a group (Marios then, later made into Pikimin) as fried rice on a pan.

SuperMario128.jpg

Fantastical

Death Prophet
erragal said:
It doesn't say Pikmin was a bought idea at all. There are two separate stories in there (Probably should have put a paragraph break between the two). Pikmin, according to the article, was a previously shelved idea that they resurrected and attached a cheesy marketing ploy involving miyamoto.
Ah, I see. I misunderstood the article. That's even less interesting.

Miyamoto probably doesn't even like swimming!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think these 01net rumors are damaging... until we have a better sense of their accuracy.

erragal

hardcastle_mccormick said:
What artistic work doesn't have influences from dozens of others in its medium? Is anyone actually assuming Nintendo is so isolated that they don't see the world around them, and in particular prototypes shown to them?

And adding to that, what makes Galaxy great is not the design of the mechanics, as good as they are, but rather to implementation in the level design, in which Nintendo is still king.

It doesn't seem like the article is really criticizing the specific practice of using an externally sourced idea to create a game; if anything the source is apparently frustrated that Nintendo isn't taking advantage of years worth of creative output to further cement its' future with a diverse range of timeless intellectual property.

Regardless of how much of a nintendo fan you are it's impossible to deny that they are very risk-averse when it comes to straying from their core IP's.

Yeah, I don't think anyone buys the Miyamoto reads a magazine about swimming/gardening/glass blowing and a game concepts springs fully formed from his mind.

Miyamoto is Nintendo's most valuable marketing asset with long time nintendo fans, of course he is going to get attached to projects, even those he is only superficially involved in.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
DaSorcerer7 said:
watch kotaku and rest run with this.
I believe Gamepro already stated the 3DS stuff as fact in a headline.

AzureNightmare said:
01net has been wrong more times in the past than they have been right. This site needs to be a banned source for a very good reason.
I think we should wait and see if the 3DS stuff is correct because that's the most verifiable and if not then it should be banned.

But I'm not a mod/admin, so... *whistles*

BocoDragon said:
I think these 01net rumors are damaging... until we have a better sense of their accuracy.
Some people were saying they were returning their 3DS systems after the 3DS stuff.

Sayah

Stop linking this site. Starting to get annoying to hear baseless rumors. It doesn't really matter who or where concepts or ideas for Pikmin and Galaxy came from. The site is just trying to attract attention now by posting unreasonable BS and you are only helping them by linking their site.

Amir0x

Banned
AzureNightmare said:

I agree. I'm just saying why 01net keeps popping up recently.

Rhod

Stumpokapow said:
I'm sure they do prototypes. It may be the case that the overall basic idea for SMG was from a prototype.

I was responsible for a (shelved) prototype for Nintendo about the idea of multiple copies of a character spawning behind you as you move around a 3D stage, and with which you mustn't collide. That obviously came to be in Mario Galaxy 2 with the shadow marios. Playing that was a weird day :D.

So yeah, they try things out for years and years, all over the place, internal and external.

Sennorin

Banned
BocoDragon said:

If this and the "3DS with second analog stick" are truly untrue, then I hope Nintendo takes legal action against the owners of 01net. This is too big and too much of an accusation to ignore.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I do have to admit that this is a great idea for hits. I would be lying if I didn't get excited when I see they've posted another rumor.

I try not to click on the link if I can help it though.

erragal said:
It doesn't seem like the article is really criticizing the specific practice of using an externally sourced idea to create a game; if anything the source is apparently frustrated that Nintendo isn't taking advantage of years worth of creative output to further cement its' future with a diverse range of timeless intellectual property.

Regardless of how much of a nintendo fan you are it's impossible to deny that they are very risk-averse when it comes to straying from their core IP's.

Except that it is, because they've released some of the most revolutionary new IP's in this generation: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Party. That was a huge bet, and it paid off for them. And they've released some real hum dingers in the past two generations as well, such as Wario Ware and Pikmen.

As for your first point, I don't really get that from the article until the last few sentences. The rest of the article is just fact stating, which implies that the facts being stated are somehow meaningful.

Boney

Banned
Plus the Pikmin part doesn't make sense as well. PR for what, who cares! So supposedely NST was working on a RTS on the N64? What does it have to do with anything if it indeed true. It's not like they took the game and reskinned it and tada Pikmin is here.

Our source, whom we’ve known for a long time, has always been very discreet about his/her feelings toward Nintendo, but this time something’s different. S/he is visibly upset, and highly frustrated – like a growing number of Nintendo employees - by what s/he describes as the quasi-schizophrenic nature of the company. On the one hand, Nintendo has always been at the forefront of innovation, with a unique flair for what makes gamers and the general public tick. On the other hand, it suffers from a paralayzing structure and anachronistic dynamics resulting more from its own idiosyncrasies than the well-known features of Japanese corporate culture. S/he portrays Nintendo as a colossus with feet of clay, nostalgic of an era when it ruled almost unchallenged, burdened to the extreme by the mythology it has crafted for itself. According to our source, this self-mythology prevents Nintendo from fully measuring its true forces, and breaking free from the heavy layer of varnish that paralyses it.
Holy crap how much fluff can you put in an opening paragraph and barely say anything.

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
A Japanese developer said on some forum that they pitched some gravity project to Nintendo and they used it in SMG. Actually it was on Tokyopia...don't remember the studio anymore though.
hmm I remember this as well but then again I also recall a report that EAD Tokyo hired some developers who worked on Sonic Adventure 2 stages as well and that game certainly had some space and gravity elements in it.

onQ123

oh I get it! Nintendo won this Gen of consoles so now they are the new Sony (after the PS1/PS2 run at the top) & it's time to throw rocks at the throne & bring down the King before the next gen starts.

Alrus

Rhod said:
Seems pretty tabloidy/negative for the sake of it.

For example:

Fine, sure, why not? I don't know if Miyamoto came up with the idea of a floating, character-relative target-range and context-sensitive deployed forces. But I don't see why, even if he didn't, that means:

Why couldn't Miyamoto have just given the RTS its 'life' when observing his garden and finding the theme meshed well with that control concept he saw years before? That'd still mean that the idea evolved greatly thanks to Miyamoto's input.

It's all in the way you report it as to whether it was OMG TEH STOLEN and Marketers Made Up The Gardening Stuff, or the more reserved and likely 'it was a collaborative effort'.

This, exactly what I wanted to say.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
bluehat9 said:
Super Mario Bros. 3 was made with code stolen from some college kids when Miyamoto broke into their dorm room looking for some cold pizza dirty socks to satisfy his dirty socks fetish one night.
Get your facts straight.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I feel like Nintendo fanboys are having a Luke in Empire Strikes Back moment.

NOOOOOOOOO, that's not true. It's impossible!

MisterHero

The external source was NINTENDO ITSELF, FROM THE FUTURE

think about it

they have the best ideas and are playing the stock market to get even richer

the 10 years in 2nd place next to Playstation is a drop in the bucket for the masters of time

Nintendo has a time machine

jman2050

I'm not even sure what they're accusing Nintendo of.

Drawing inspiration and ideas about useful game mechanics via scores of prototypes, whether made internally, outsourced, or bought from other people. How... shameful?

They're putting a very clear negative spin on, what I presume anyway, to be status quo for a company of Nintendo's caliber.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Boney said:
Plus the Pikmin part doesn't make sense as well. PR for what, who cares! So supposedely NST was working on a RTS on the N64? What does it have to do with anything if it indeed true. It's not like they took the game and reskinned it and tada Pikmin is here.
To further perpetuate the idea that Miyamoto is God?

Boney

Banned
Trojita said:

cute

Fantastical said:
To further perpetuate the idea that Miyamoto is God?
That's like what.. 0,1% of Nintendo's costumers?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
badcrumble said:
Wow so it's basically Doki Doki Panic all over again.

Major creative staff on Super Mario Bros: Miyamoto, Tazuka, Kondo
Major creative staff on Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (2): Tazuka, Miyamoto, Kondo
Major creative staff on Super Mario Bros 2: Miyamoto, Tanabe, Kondo

Again, while Doki Doki Panic didn't originally have the Mario brand, it was very much in-house, Miyamoto spent more time on it than he did on TLL, Tanabe went on to direct major critical Nintendo in-house games. It's very much in-house.

Sennorin said:
If this and the "3DS with second analog stick" are truly untrue, then I hope Nintendo takes legal action against the owners of 01net. This is too big and too much of an accusation to ignore.

give me a break

erragal

GrotesqueBeauty said:
WTF is with 01net's current tirade against Nintendo? Sounds like they are acting as a megaphone for some "insider" with an ax to grind.

Why do people lack reading comprehension? I understand not believing the veracity of the report (I'm pretty sure it's false myself) but the tone of the report is in no way 'ax to grind' at all. How could you possibly get that?

Is it an automatic response that anyone saying something even mildly 'negative' must mean they have a negative agenda? And why would adapting an external game design to your IP even be offensive at all? It's not like it's as simple as fucking photoshopping mario into someone's game and then sending it to the printing press...

JABEE

This is the only way you'd hear about it if the story were true. I just have a hard time believing everything that has come out of these articles. It could be true though. I think it's worth a discussion though. A lot of the stories about Miyamoto coming up with his ideas sound like myths to me.

insin

Neo Member
In the recent past, Epic Games and Infinity Ward formed a secret megastudio which was quietly dissolved after a deep-cover Nintendo mole stole the ideas for Sebastian Tute and Party Phil.

It's true, I read it on 01net.

Yen

I like the idea that Nintendo have tons and tons of ideas just sitting there, waiting to be used, as the article suggests.

Rhod

Trojita said:

More like people who understand that Nintendo are real people, and a business, take a more moderate and reasoned look at a 'report' from a somewhat sensationalist website.

As I said, having worked with Nintendo, nothing said here is at all out of character with how they let ideas gestate and grow across their internal and 2nd party studios.

JABEE

Boney said:
cute

That's like what.. 0,1% of Nintendo's costumers?
Stockholders liketo think they have the golden goose developer not someone who is easily replaceable that steals ideas from others.

[Nintex]

I recall another one of these incidents. Matt put up an article on IGN about Metroid Prime Trilogy and how Miyamoto came up with the different visors only to receive a mail from none other than Jeff Spangenberg who said that it was an idea created by Retro's own staff and not Miyamoto. It was quite bizarre.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
hmm I remember this as well but then again I also recall a report that EAD Tokyo hired some developers who worked on Sonic Adventure 2 stages as well and that game certainly had some space and gravity elements in it.

I thought it was just a disgruntled developer who thought it was his idea... but spherical games are not entirely new, neither were they back then. Sadly Tokyopia is down these days.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rhod said:
I was responsible for a (shelved) prototype for Nintendo about the idea of multiple copies of a character spawning behind you as you move around a 3D stage, and with which you mustn't collide. That obviously came to be in Mario Galaxy 2 with the shadow marios. Playing that was a weird day :D.

Very cool and great job, I had a lot of fun with some of those stages.

Xyphie

I've seen Miyamoto as the Steve Jobs of Nintendo for years and years, i.e. he gets all the credit for good ideas of people lower on the corporate food chain than him.

Top Bottom