• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
And? That doesn't mean it also implies that we think he's the greatest defensive defenseman ever.
Defenseman of an international tournament should probably go to the defenseman who defends the best, not scores the most. Must my opinion though, Doughty scored a lot and was a rock on the back end as well.

Defenseman of an international tournament should probably go to the defenseman who defends the best, not scores the most. Must my opinion though, Doughty scored a lot and was a rock on the back end as well.

Not to mention he racked up points against weak teams then completely disappeared in the game that mattered.

Pilgor

Can't find a better one.
BhKqHpyIcAAXowU.jpg

This won't do for my Facebook gloating cover photo. I need better!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Well if any Canadian d-men won it, I would believe they would have deserved it as well. That doesn't mean that I would think Karlsson doesn't.

He was an offensive force on the backend for the Swedes and he was decent defensively. I think just based on his dominance on the scoresheet, he deserves the award.

Not to mention he racked up points against weak teams then completely disappeared in the game that mattered.

Oh god the irony is killing me. I don't think I can take you seriously ever again.

GSG Flash

You must have an Alanis-like understanding of the word then. He's barely competent defensively while he's getting some points. Fine for a forward, bad for a defenceman.

The irony of a fan of a team with Phil Kessel on it bringing up another player racking up points against weaker teams and then folding when the games actually mattered. That's what's killing me.

I don't think you really have any room to talk about players not showing up when games matter as a Leafs fan.

nullref

Looking back on the tournament, it's impressive how composed Team Canada was, dominating play the large majority of their time on the ice.

Like everyone, I was worried that the lack of offensive production would be a liability when a bigger threat came along -- but that threat never really materialized. A bit anti-climactic, but I'll take it. They were a joy to watch.

The irony of a fan of a team with Phil Kessel on it bringing up another player racking up points against weaker teams and then folding when the games actually mattered. That's what's killing me.

I don't think you really have any room to talk about players not showing up when games matter as a Leafs fan.

Why do you keep bringing Kessel into a discussion about Karlsson? Trying to muddy the waters with a bit if et tu, quo que? Wouldn't you agree that points are a better indicator of a forwards performance than a defenseman's?

Also would you expect a leafs fan to praise Karlsson's performance? No? Then it's not ironic.

I would however expect the "all star" defenseman to be able to defend.

Zweisy1

Pretty good choices for the all-stars team.

Lundqvist is a brilliant goalkeeper, one of the best in the world probably.. but personally I think Rask is even better,

yyzjohn

Banned

Doughty > Karlsson by a wide margin in this tournament.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
If allergy medication is considered doping, (which apparently it is at the Olympics).

if backstrom had had the sniffles on friday then finland would have been in the final.

frankly, sweden's allergy doping casts a shadow over their win in turin, no question about it.

nullref

If allergy medication is considered doping, (which apparently it is at the Olympics).

Pseudoephedrine may seem pretty innocuous as far as performance-enhancing drugs go, but it's used as such all the time in hockey. Maybe it was an innocent mistake on Bäckström's part, but it's on the list of banned substances for a reason.

eyeless

i'm a leafs fan and i think karlsson's swell, i got love for everybody man, we'd be lucky to have him

just wasn't the best defenseman of the tournament

GSG Flash

Why do you keep bringing Kessel into a discussion about Karlsson? Trying to muddy the waters with a bit if et tu, quo que? Wouldn't you agree that points are a better indicator of a forwards performance than a defenseman's?

Also would you expect a leafs fan to praise Karlsson's performance? No? Then it's not ironic.

I would however expect the "all star" defenseman to be able to defend.

Ok then, on a separate topic, you would agree that Kessel does not deserve the top forward award, correct? I mean he racked up points against weak teams and then folded up like a cheap suit when his team needed him the most.

And no, I wouldn't agree with that. If Kunitz scored 10 goals against Norway and then did dick all the rest of the tourny, people would still pile up on him.

I think the fact that Karlsson was, as a defenceman, tied for the lead in scoring for the tournament is extremely impressive.

And I guess I expect too much from Leafs fan? I dunno.

GSG Flash

I think the point he was trying to make was that you don't understand what the word irony means.

Oh I know exactly what it means, he's just not seeing how I used the word from my point of view of him being a Leafs fan with Phil Kessel on his team.

Ok then, on a separate topic, you would agree that Kessel does not deserve the top forward award, correct? I mean he racked up points against weak teams and then folded up like a cheap suit when his team needed him the most.

And no, I wouldn't agree with that. If Kunitz scored 10 goals against Norway and then did dick all the rest of the tourny, people would still pile up on him.

I think the fact that Karlsson was, as a defenceman, tied for the lead in scoring for the tournament is extremely impressive.

And I guess I expect too much from Leafs fan? I dunno.

Well since points is a much better indicator of how a forward performs, I'd say you're trying to compare apples and oranges. Why not try and make the case for Karlsson being a better defender than Doughty?

Oh I know exactly what it means, he's just not seeing how I used the word from my point of view of him being a Leafs fan with Phil Kessel on his team.

Yep, still not a proper example of irony.

Rad-

All-Star Team:

Lundqvist (SWE)

Doughty (CAN)
Karlsson (SWE)

Kessel (US)
Granlund (FIN)
Selänne (FIN)

MVP: Selänne (FIN)

Best Forward: Phil Kessel (US)
Best Defenseman: Erik Karlsson (SWE)
Best Goaltender: Carey Price (CAN)

Good choices though maybe Toews could have used a place there.

Granlund could be a beast in NHL too if he bulked up more.

GSG Flash

Well since points is a much better indicator of how a forward performs, I'd say you're trying to compare apples and oranges. Why not try and make the case for Karlsson being a better defender than Doughty?

Why would I try to make that case when I don't believe it?

But you said

but the guy barely defends

Which is objectively not true. It's an extremely hyperbolic statement, which I have a feeling is fueled by your hatred for the Sens and their players.

And I'm not going to sit here and defend my use of the word "irony" -_-

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

What in the hell are you even talking about?

Nice to know you don't actually watch the games if you think that about Phil.

Red_Man

Karlsson wasn't even on Sweden's top pairing for most of the game.

Good choices though maybe Toews could have used a place there.
Agreed, Toews proved again he's one of the best two way players in the world.

GSG Flash

What in the hell are you even talking about?

Nice to know you don't actually watch the games if you think that about Phil.

I was talking about this tournament.

I would actually love to have Kessel on the Sens.

Why would I try to make that case when I don't believe it?

But you said

Which is objectively not true. It's an extremely hyperbolic statement, which I have a feeling is fueled by your hatred for the Sens and their players.

And I'm not going to sit here and defend my use of the word "irony" -_-

So we agree he's got no business being there. ;)

zroid

Banned
Toews just looks like such a natural leader in every facet of how he carries himself on and off the ice. It's pretty amazing.

pringles

So basically:

1. Backstrom was tested Wednesday.
2. IOC are supposed to notify within 48 hours if there's an issue.
3. IOC found a level of 1.9, of a substance that's not illegal up to the limit of 1.5.
4. They knew about it since friday, waited until hours before gold medal game to notify Team Sweden. Meaning no time to overturn the decision or take a new test.
5. IOC suspend Backstrom from playing, when exactly the same case in the 2010 olympics only lead to a warning for that player.

edit: updated timeline

nullref

Backstrom was barred from play because of allergy medication? lol, what a joke.

What part is the joke -- the ban, or Bäckström's poor choices?

So basically:

1. Backstrom was tested friday.
2. IOC are supposed to notify within 24 hours if there's an issue.
3. IOC found a level of 1.9, of a substance that's not illegal up to the limit of 1.5.
4. They knew about it since saturday, waited until hours before gold medal game to notify Team Sweden. Meaning no time to overturn the decision or take a new test.
5. IOC suspend Backstrom from playing, when exactly the same case in the 2010 olympics only lead to a warning for that player.

That part does indeed suck.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So basically:

4. They knew about it since saturday, waited until hours before gold medal game to notify Team Sweden. Meaning no time to overturn the decision or take a new test.

Yeah, I still find it a bit confusing. Apparently he's been using the same medication for 7 years, but the IOC have different rules for the allowed level compared to NHL, or something?
Both NHL and NHLPA appear to be upset about this, and the Swedish management are talking about suing the IOC.

You can only blame Backstrom. He's not a child; this is his job. He has to be aware of the regulations.

Not that it would have made a lick of difference anyway, with Henrik and Zetterberg already out Sweden had a massive deficit at C.

So basically:

What a fucking joke. Seriously, what a goddamn joke.

Red_Man

That's on Sweden's management, how you could let your players be unaware of substance regulations is beyond me. Regardless if it was let go or not in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom