• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Any word on who Karlsson will be playing with? Watching him play with OEL would be fun.

Uncle

Finland's a total underdog this time around. Losing Filppula and both Koivus did some irreparable damage - it's not like we're Canada where losing people doesn't matter because of the endless pool of talent they can draw from. Shame, but what can you do.

I don't think Finland has ever had an "all-star" team like some other countries, yet has still managed do quite well pretty consistently in recent years. But yeah, those were some big losses for the team. Hopefully they can make up for it with goaltending and good team work. I'm kinda eagerly awaiting for all the "boo, trapping, boo" posts.

Acid08

Banned
AAAAMMMMEEEEEEEERRRRRRRICA AAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEERRRRRRICA

pavelski-joe-2010-olympics-usa.jpg

GOD SHED HIS GRACE ON THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

joe.pavelski.jpg

USA! USA! USA!

Olympics1.jpg

OP of the century from Don Quick. Lets get this Lolympics bullshit done so the NHL can come back.

Finland's a total underdog this time around. Losing Filppula and both Koivus did some irreparable damage - it's not like we're Canada where losing people doesn't matter because of the endless pool of talent they can draw from. Shame, but what can you do.

Yea huge losses and it's really too bad. There are actually a shit load of injuries this year. Sweden got fucked too losing Henrik and Franzen.

How is Rask playing lately? Finland has goaltending on lock down.

Canada is going to cruise to the quarters. That group A looks like a bitch though. USA, Russia, Slovakia...someone is going home early.

Drazgul

I don't think Finland has ever had an "all-star" team like some other countries, yet has still managed do quite well pretty consistently in recent years.

Yeah that's true, on paper we don't have the same kind of overall caliber that the super heavyweights do, but we've usually made up for it with some good ol' moxie. We've some solid goalies with Lehtonen, Niemi and Rask but that'll only get you so far.

Acid08

Banned
There's a very disappointing lack of $$$$'s in your post Acid.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Gold-Medal-Mens-Hockey-match_5_1.jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are we highlighting teams that won't medal now?

WE JUST WON SILVER

Yeah I'm happy with making the quarter finals.

Also c'mon, who doesn't like looking at a picture of Mike Smith getting beat.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Gold- CAN
Silver- CAN
Bronze- CAN

We're that good lol

Seriously though, this is probably what's going to happen.

Gold- RUS (Dear leader will pull a few strings)
Silver- CAN (Victims of a dubious Russian plot to steal our God given Olympic gold)
Bronze- FIN (These guys will get bronze, and they'll be the happiest bunch of guys I have ever seen. Just like last time)

USA? Hahaha Not making it out of Group A. They'll beat the Slovenians, and then lose to Slovakia and Russia. I'm calling it lol

ZeroGravity

Not really sure why everyone's predicting doom and gloom for the US. They were a really young team in 2010 and those young players have gotten even better.

Acid08

Banned
Not really sure why everyone's predicting doom and gloom for the US. They were a really young team in 2010 and those young players have gotten even better.
Canadians are delusional. They'll plow through their weak ass group and brag about how great they are.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't like their D at all and aside from Kane, their forward group doesn't really have any game breakers.

Acid08

Banned
Not going to argue that our forward group or defense is better than Canada because that would be foolish. But I think that under Bylsma they can be a lot more dangerous than four years ago. That guy is so used to getting every ounce out of his players, especially with how injury riddled the Pens have been this year, that I'm hoping for them to come together as a team really well. And like ZG said, all the returning players are better than they've ever been.

And if our goaltending comes through like it should? Shit is gonna be ridic.

Best fucking OP of all. God love 'em, Don Quick.

Games in Australia start from 7pm and go through til 4am. No sleep for days? No sleep for days.

jY8q2gGifP0ia.jpg

"We got this"

How does 3 groups work?

Top teams and 1 runner up into the Semis?

I also like how the women's tournament is handled. It's divided into two groups.

Group A, or the two teams going for gold and the two teams that occasionally beat them

Group B, might have a shot at bronze.

The entirety of Group A goes into the playoffs, they are just playing for seeds, top two getting byes.
Only two of Group B goes in.

Therefore, you're likely to have two Canada-USA games.

TUSR

Banned
everyone thought russia was gonna win gold in 2010, sweden has less of a chance this year than russa did in 2010.

everyone thought russia was gonna win gold in 2010, sweden has less of a chance this year than russa did in 2010.
These olympics are on big ice though. That already gives Sweden better chance than what Russia had back in 2010. I actually don't know why ''everyone'' thought that russia would take it back in 2010. Both US and Canada had amazing teams and it was NHL sized rink.

TUSR

Banned
These olympics are on big ice though. That already gives Sweden better chance than what Russia had back in 2010. I actually don't know why ''everyone'' thought that russia would take it back in 2010. Both US and Canada had amazing teams and it was NHL sized rink.

russia was hands down the favourite.

canada with crush the swedes, if not ill change my avatar to a hot swedish girl.

Yup. NA players beat the tar out of the international players on the small ice in Van... in Sochi with the international ice (which I prefer and hope the NHL adopts one day) it will be a different game.

TUSR

Banned
Yup. NA players beat the tar out of the international players on the small ice in Van... in Sochi with the international ice (which I prefer and hope the NHL adopts one day) it will be a different game.

The NHL will never adopt it, it costs millions to alter the rink sizes and additionally they lose out on seating.

calder

The NHL will never adopt it, it costs millions to alter the rink sizes and additionally they lose out on seating.

... and it makes hockey objectively less exciting. Ignore anyone who says the big ice makes hockey anything other than slower and more defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom