• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

My NHL GAF brethren will tar and feather me for this, but I HATE the "the only sport that matters is hockey/the only gold that matters is hockey" mentality that pervades this country.

I fucking love the Olympics and don't hold one sport above another or value one medal over another. If Canada happens to win 15 golds but no medal for men's hockey, it's still a goddamn great Olympics for Canada.

I still remember Vancouver, where we already had 13 golds and our best Olympics ever and people were saying it was all for nothing if we didn't beat US for gold in men's hockey. Fuck that. Seeing the Dufour-Lapointe sisters win or Hamelin defend this morning? That shit is just as good as winning for hockey.

yyzjohn

Banned
My NHL GAF brethren will tar and feather me for this, but I HATE the "the only sport that matters is hockey/the only gold that matters is hockey" mentality that pervades this country.

I fucking love the Olympics and don't hold one sport above another or value one medal over another. If Canada happens to win 15 golds but no medal for men's hockey, it's still a goddamn great Olympics for Canada.

I still remember Vancouver, where we already had 13 golds and our best Olympics ever and people were saying it was all for nothing if we didn't beat US for gold in men's hockey. Fuck that. Seeing the Dufour-Lapointe sisters win or Hamelin defend this morning? That shit is just as good as winning for hockey.

I don't think that's the common thought from Canadians in general. Maybe hardcore hockey-only fans think that way but I find the majority of friends I know are excited about every medal. Only time I ever watch some of these other sports is during the Olympics and I get right into it, yes even figure skating! LOL

Solo

I don't think that's the common thought from Canadians in general. Maybe hardcore hockey-only fans think that way but I find the majority of friends I know are excited about every medal. Only time I ever watch some of these other sports is during the Olympics and I get right into it, yes even figure skating! LOL

My man. That's what I love about the Olympics. Hockey gets to shine all the time. But skiing, skating, sledding, etc? Only once every 4 years do those sports get equal billing. Shit's the best. I think the Olympics (both summer and winter) are the only thing in sport better than the Stanley Cup and World Cup.

And I watch the fuck out of figure skating too haha. I have no idea what the fuck is going on, but if that 15 year old Russian didn't amaze you.......then you might lack a soul.

yyzjohn

Banned
My man. That's what I love about the Olympics. Hockey gets to shine all the time. But skiing, skating, sledding, etc? Only once every 4 years do those sports get equal billing. Shit's the best. I think the Olympics (both summer and winter) are the only thing in sport better than the Stanley Cup and World Cup.

And I watch the fuck out of figure skating too haha. I have no idea what the fuck is going on, but if that 15 year old Russian didn't amaze you.......then you might lack a soul.

I had tears in my eyes when those sisters won gold/silver buddy. Great moment.

Razorskin

----- ------
hulk-hogan-american-flag.jpg
ConAJFN.jpg

zedge

Same here. :)

Not really sure why everyone's predicting doom and gloom for the US. They were a really young team in 2010 and those young players have gotten even better.

Huh? Who's saying this?

USA probably has the best two way team and maybe the best goaltending. Anyone predicting doom and gloom doesn't know shit.

Anyway no excuses here, I remember people going "LOLOLOLO we dont even like hockey" like last time.

Malvolio

Olympic Hockey is the greatest sporting event there is for me. I love it so much that my heart really isn't into rooting for team USA as much as I just want two weeks of amazing hockey. May the best team win, but put on a show while doing it.

NH Apache

Banned
I had the biggest stupid ass grin reading the OP. Thanks Quick.

Looking forward to some good games. As good as Canada and USA look on paper, I'm expecting an underdog to some in and show some heart and hustle. I'm feeling a little upset action.

Already asked off work for a couple hours on Thursday morning.

Go USA!

dWfOE9c_dg.gif

ShaneB

... and it makes hockey objectively less exciting. Ignore anyone who says the big ice makes hockey anything other than slower and more defensive.

As much as I want to agree, seeing a NHL game live made me realize how tiny the ice is and what little room they have to move around, and everything felt way too crowded. I know it doesn't seem that way on TV, but it felt that way in person. So I do enjoy getting to see some hockey on the big ice from time to time.

I'm trying to get into hockey. I don't know anything, never have watched a game, just some youtube videos. This will be interesting.

Hope you become a fan, and hope the Olympics provide some great hockey! It's not perfect, but it sure is fun to watch. To get you in the mood, here's the 2010 gold medal game. Canada VS USA, Vancouver 2010 It's on there as well without commentary, and that's fun to watch that way, but for someone newer to the sport, obviously commentary would be beneficial.

kingslunk

As much as I want to agree, seeing a NHL game live made me realize how tiny the ice is and what little room they have to move around, and everything felt way too crowded. I know it doesn't seem that way on TV, but it felt that way in person. So I do enjoy getting to see some hockey on the big ice from time to time.

Hope you become a fan, and hope the Olympics provide some great hockey! It's not perfect, but it sure is fun to watch. To get you in the mood, here's the 2010 gold medal game. Canada VS USA, Vancouver 2010 It's on there as well without commentary, and that's fun to watch that way, but for someone newer to the sport, obviously commentary would be beneficial.

Don't watch that Sidney Crosby garbage video. Just watch a documentary on the Miracle on Ice.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This OT is God tier. I did get a chuckle out of Lavtia though :p

Obviously rooting for Canada, but I don't like this year's Canadian team as much as the team in Vancouver. I can definitely see them getting upset.

Fixed1979

A few lines they had going at practice.

Kunitz-Crosby-Carter; Sharp-Toews-Nash, Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry.
Keith-Weber, Vlasic-Doughty, Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Mostly wishful thinking...

Gold - Canada
Silver - Sweden
Bronze - Russia

Somewhere in the pits of hell Team USA after the greatest collapse in USA Olympic hockey history.

EDIT: Great OP

RUS lines: Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin, Tarasenko-Anisimov-Kulemin, Radulov-Svitov-Kovalchuk, Popov-Tereschenko-Tikhonov. Datsyuk didn't practice.

Hnng Tarasenko on the second line.

Amen on this one. Winter Olympics is best Olympics. Everything is so fucking dangerous, it's crazy!

EDIT: Also fuck Canada for messing with Giroux's poor heart.

I'm the same. I like Olympic hockey, but it's far from being the most important sport for me. I'm just as happy - actually more so - when Canadians succeed in sports that are largely ignored by casual fans between Olympics.

That said, the extreme pressure and importance placed upon getting gold in hockey in 2010 was largely just because the Games were held in Canada.

Solo

Amen on this one. Winter Olympics is best Olympics. Everything is so fucking dangerous, it's crazy!

EDIT: Also fuck Canada for messing with Giroux's poor heart.

I'm the same. I like Olympic hockey, but it's far from being the most important sport for me. I'm just as happy - actually more so - when Canadians succeed in sports that are largely ignored by casual fans between Olympics.

That said, the extreme pressure and importance placed upon getting gold in hockey in 2010 was largely just because the Games were held in Canada.

Bro fists. All it took was an Olympics to bring NHL GAF together!

But.......fuck the Flyers and fuck the Leafs! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom