• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-2016 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| 2 can play the 1-and-done game

Some well-heeled booster that's passionate (irrational) enough would write that check.

But is Alford doing a bad job? With my east coast bias and the fact that UCLA doesn't play games at a waking hour, I have forgotten all about the Bruins.

Edit: Just looked at the standings. How in the world does UCLA go 6-12 in conference and 15-17 overall? What are they doing out there?

UCLA was awful in conference I wanna say due to lack of size. Plus Pac-12 loves to beat each other up and UCLA just couldn't handle it. But I heard don't know it's true is that Alford and their coaches gave back some of their contract money/ restructured it to where they can earn it by performance. If it's true kudos to them

Damn, Dawkins' UCF contract is apparently for $1.1 million (apparently what he was getting at Stanford). Previous coach was getting $600k. No clue where that money is coming from. That's on top of switching from commercial to chartered flights for basketball. I don't even know the assistant budget yet. And that's also with having to pay out various buyouts from different coaches across a few different sports.

This from an athletics department that has been purported to be operating on fumes basically just last summer.

DominoKid

NC State dumpster fire of a bball program is always a treat
- Abu and Cat declaring
- Martin Twins both transferring

after Smith Jr does his 1 & Done lap you have to imagine Gottfried will be fired right?

Bowser

- Abu and Cat declaring

after Smith Jr does his 1 & Done lap you have to imagine Gottfried will be fired right?

Even though Abu isn't hiring an agent, apparently word is he's gone regardless whether it's the league, overseas, or a transfer.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Rumor is that Thornton is transferring, Grayson might be staying, and Duke is back as a favorite to land Bolden...

This should be an interesting next month or so.

@ZachKleinWSB is reporting that Capel is the #1 choice for Georgia Tech.

If he takes the job, K is never leaving Duke, but he'll need to find another lead recruiter. Grover, start working on your sales pitch.

Bowser

@ZachKleinWSB is reporting that Capel is the #1 choice for Georgia Tech.

If he takes the job, K is never leaving Duke, but he'll need to find another lead recruiter. Grover, start working on your sales pitch.

Why would Capel leave for GT? I feel like he's the heir apparent to K, and it could happen within the next 5 years.

DominoKid

Why would Capel leave for GT? I feel like he's the heir apparent to K, and it could happen within the next 5 years.

cause he got broads in atlanta

vheiVi.gif

i can only guess he thinks he can lock down the atlanta talent pool.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Spike Albrecht is doing the grad transfer thing. Someone is going to get a high quality back up PG. I really hope it's not IU.

GT is an absolute joke now and has been since the end of the Hewitt era. That would be a super backwards career move for Capel. He'll probably do it.

As for Thornton, I still think that there will be room on the team for him next year. It's not like Duke's suddenly going to have an influx of true point guards (Frank Jack is more of a 2 for me in skillset, at least in college). If he wants to go tho, godspeed to him. Some may think K gave him a raw deal by convincing to forgo his senior HS season (and lose all of the benefits and accolades that come from that), just to rent him (S/O Bo Ryan) for a year in college, but its not like he didn't get plenty of run last year.

I definitely expect Jeter or Vrankovic to go tho. Like 100% chance

I think Thad has basically earned himself the right to leave when he wants. Hes teh best coach weve ever had and I dont think he'll be coaching much longer with his health issues.

ryseing

- Abu and Cat declaring

Late on replying to this, apologies.

I really don't know. AD loves him, just got that massive extension (makes more than Roy for some godforsaken reason), and considering how our last coaching search went we would need someone in hand before firing Gott. Obvious choice would be Archie Miller but I'm of the opinion he's waiting for a bigger job. There's also the current state of the football program which might require some new blood depending on how the fall goes. Lotta money which I'm not sure our boosters will put up.

Yow's gotta go through. Wiffed her revenue sports hires and that letter she sent still makes my blood boil.

Even though Abu isn't hiring an agent, apparently word is he's gone regardless whether it's the league, overseas, or a transfer.

I don't buy it. If he does leave though Gott will get run out of town.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 11 minutes ago
Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens is considering Kentucky, Florida, FSU, Tennessee, Georgia, and Mississippi State, source told @CBSSports

According to CBS, Jeff Capel has wised up and removed his name from consideration for the Ga Tech job.

Duke keeps its lead recruiter/heir to the throne for now

Derryck Thornton to transfer per ESPN.

TDD/BDL Insiders are on point this offseason

Choosing to spend a year where he can't play at all just because he doesn't want to spend a year coming off the bench behind Jackson is an....interesting decision but you never know who's in these kids' ears these days. Hell, maybe he just didn't like the school that much.

shrug.gif

Good luck wherever he goes.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Choosing to spend a year where he can't play at all just because he doesn't want to spend a year coming off the bench behind Jackson is an....interesting decision but you never know who's in these kids' ears these days. Hell, maybe he just didn't like the school that much.

I think the rumors about his Dad and Uncle being control-freaks are far more likely. Apparently they were expecting K to run more pick and rolls for him and tensions started to rise even early in the season when the offense didn't end up being geared that way.

Dude got 26+ minutes a game and was handed the keys to the offense as a high school senior. Claims that he was "underutilized" are ridiculous.

Duke haters loving yet another opportunity to blame this all on K as well. Yes, of course we "forced out" our only true PG and real backup for Jackson in order to *maybe* pick up a big man recruit. Because we definitely don't have enough forwards on next year's team.

DominoKid

Redshirting won't be bad for him. It'll put him back in his natural year.

But K a savage for begging him to skip his senior season just to have a stop gap PG to hand Grayson and Ingram the ball.

Don't hate the player
elMy8GJ.png

but I hate the player

Proelite

But K a savage for begging him to skip his senior season just to have a stop gap PG to hand Grayson and Ingram the ball.

Don't hate the player
elMy8GJ.png

but I hate the player

26 min as a freshman, more than twice what Cook got. More than Scheyer, Nolan, etc got.

26 min as a freshman, more than twice what Cook got. More than Scheyer, Nolan, etc got.

Yeah Thornton got to play plenty last year.

And save a few spots here and there, he never at any point looked like he earned more minutes or a bigger focal point in the offense. He was making the same boneheaded, deer in the headlights, mistakes against Oregon in March that he was making against UK in November.

I mean, generally I'm as hard on K as any about how he shortens his bench and doesn't give these 5 star recruits a chance to play, but you can't say Thornton didn't get his shot. His production never matched his family's idea of what his value to the team should be

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Don't hate the player
elMy8GJ.png

but I hate the player

You guys wouldn't know anything about a player's family going ham when that player decides to leave.

Its not like Thornton didn't play last season, he did quite a bit, but he wasn't a great shooter at that point. This stuff about K and the staff lying to Thornton when even Brandon Ingram said K promised him nothing before signing is just ludicrous. You're not Kyrie, son. Have fun in Oregon.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Nobody in Thornton's camp has thought this through at all. So if he stays at Duke, he gets reduced minutes but more PG opportunities to play for a national title contender, and is one of the headline players the following season.

Now he sits out a year, no hope of a national title rub, still has to play in 2017-18 and still spends an extra year in school. WTF? Thornton was a good defender and quick with the ball, the offense would have improved with experience. I don't know what the fam was expecting, but they aren't likely going to find it elsewhere either.

EDIT: Also this narrative that K tricked Thornton to skip his senior year of High School and missed his prom and the McDonalds AA game is a truckload of shit. Thornton reclassified to his ORIGINAL class. Dude was going to spend a 5th year in high school at a basketball factory. He wouldn't have qualified for McDonalds anyway because they don't take 5 year players.

Bowser

Amended NOA removes all reference to men's basketball and football, changes broad "impermissible benefits" charge to more narrow "failure to monitor".

Time for Roy to start firing back with live ammo on the recruiting trail.

Y'all. State finally made it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...olina-state-wolfpack-team-gets-go-white-house

It's common practice these days for championship teams to be honored at the White House, but that wasn't always the case. Members of the 1983 North Carolina State NCAA tournament title team didn't get to do it and have felt for years that they missed out. That is about to change.

President Barack Obama will honor the remaining members of the team on May 9 in the nation's capital. They can thank forward Thurl Bailey for getting it done.

Bailey, who led the Wolfpack with 15 points in the title game, spearheaded the effort to make the trip. He wrote a letter to the president in which he said, "the one thing that has eluded us for these many years is a chance for the members of our team to visit the White House by invitation of the President of the United States. But my hope is that you will grant an opportunity to a team who truly embodied the definition of what sports should represent."

He also reached out to his friend Utah senator Orrin Hatch, who also wrote a letter to the president.

"The joy and the euphoria of winning a national title against all odds, as well as the pain and devastation of losing members of that family, are important parts of who I am," Bailey said, according to the Wolfpack website. "Contacting President Obama was one piece of our incredible journey that had eluded us for far too long."

This pretty much the ACC thread at this point but

2016/17 B1G-ACC Challenge matchups are out

Va Tech at Mich
ND at Iowa
Illinois at NCSU
Pitt at the Traitors
Nebraska at Clemson
Minn at FSU
Rutgers at the U
WFU at NW
tOSU at Louisville
Purdue at UVa