• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-2016 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| 2 can play the 1-and-done game

Kevtones

To be fair, UVA deserved it more than freaking Oregon did, but they pay for the crime by having to face MSU again if the seeds hold as the literal embodiment of MSU's being snubbed. I think they're hosed.

I mean, seriously...fuck RPI. It's the absolute worst ratings system and the committee treats it as near gospel. How the AP #2 team who won their conference tournament and has the probable Wooden Award winner leading their team isn't a #1 seed...sigh.

Have you looked at Oregon's resume? Even though you hate the RPI, their resume is the 2nd strongest in the country (behind Kansas). If UCLA wasn't 102 in the RPI, Oregon would would have 22 top 100 wins. It's crazy.

Talon

Have you looked at Oregon's resume? Even though you hate the RPI, their resume is the 2nd strongest in the country (behind Kansas). If UCLA wasn't 102 in the RPI, Oregon would would have 22 top 100 wins. It's crazy.
There you is, Kevtones. ;)
TV money, plain and simple.
Indiana Texas A&M? No juice.

Indiana Kentucky?
Yogi Ferrell v Tyler Ulis?
Saturday night tv ratings

It is complete bullshit though, Kentucky should've gotten that 3 seed over A&M.

Indiana getting a 5 is harsh considering how well IU has played since Blackmon got hurt.
A 4 would've been more appropriate.

Bottom of the B1G was absolutely atrocious (thanks for nothing Rutgers), but MSU, Indiana and Purdue are capable of F4 runs if they play their best.
Committee has been consistent about putting teams closest to their regions. Seeds aren't transitive.

Tulsa getting in is a head scratcher. It would make sense if they hadn't lost to Memphis in the first round of their mediocre conference tournament. Also don't think Syracuse should have been in. I get the feeling the committee pardoned all of their losses (one of them was St. John's lol) when Boeheim was gone, but that's bullshit. Monmouth should have taken one of those spots and and either St. Bonnie or Mary for the other spot.

trembli0s

Wow, A&M's draw is pretty damn good this year.

Fitting after we sucked for so many years.

Play Texas 2nd round, Oklahoma after that, and then potentially Oregon/Duke. Pretty favorable to make a Final Four run if the team is clicking.

VRMN

Sangarin says you're 16, BPI says you're 16, KemPom says you're 9, Massey says you're 8. RPI is the only system that has you top 5 at 2. RPI is bad and that the committee leans on it so much, that RPI top 50 and top 100 means so much is a bad thing that needs to change. Period.

impirius

:-/ :-( :-/ :-| :-| :-\ :-/

kHTNhuT.jpg

DominoKid

Tulsa getting in is a head scratcher. It would make sense if they hadn't lost to Memphis in the first round of their mediocre conference tournament. Also don't think Syracuse should have been in. I get the feeling the committee pardoned all of their losses (one of them was St. John's lol) when Boeheim was gone, but that's bullshit. Monmouth should have taken one of those spots and and either St. Bonnie or Mary for the other spot.

Eh the committee takes player injuries into account when reviewing team resumes so why not take a significant coach absence into it as well.

Its also a measure to smooth over the ill will they generated in the industry by banning Boeheim from any contact at all with his players. Politics as usual

Sangarin says you're 16, BPI says you're 16, KemPom says you're 9. RPI is the only system that has you top 5 at 2. RPI is bad and that the committee leans on it so much, that RPI top 50 and top 100 means so much is a bad thing that needs to change. Period.

RPI may be bad, but a metric that ESPN made can't be any better.

VRMN

RPI may be bad, but a metric that ESPN made can't be any better.

I agree, but at least they're closer to the mean. I'd probably lean on KemPom if I had to pick one. But when the consensus is that Oregon is not a top 5 team and it's literally only RPI going "second best team!," I'd pick the bone with RPI, not BPI.

Like I said, making up for leaving Temple out last year lol. But really, who knows. Tulsa is puzzling.

As for CBS, I'll give them a pass for the selection show because their open nature for March Madness internet broadcasts is amazing.

Eh the committee takes player injuries into account when reviewing team resumes so why not take a significant coach absence into it as well.

Its also a measure to smooth over the ill will they generated in the industry by banning Boeheim from any contact at all with his players. Politics as usual

The problem with that is he was absent because he broke the rules. That's different from an injury which is just bad luck and can't be helped.

I understand that his absence did likely cause a difference, but I don't believe it should have been taken into a consideration. Was he really punished if the games he didn't coach in didn't matter?

The only good thing about knowing that Duke ain't shit and has 0 chance of winning it all this year is being able to fill out brackets now conscience-free.

It lowkey causes me heartburn to pick against them or pick matchups that I know are worse for them, but now? Doesn't matter. I can fill out my 27* brackets to cover every possible angle because everyone is terrible and no one is guaranteed to win with peace of mind.

*Not actually 27 brackets...probably

Bowser

The only good thing about knowing that Duke ain't shit and has 0 chance of winning it all this year is being able to fill out brackets now conscience-free.

It lowkey causes me heartburn to pick against them or pick matchups that I know are worse for them, but now? Doesn't matter. I can fill out my 27* brackets to cover every possible angle because everyone is terrible and no one is guaranteed to win with peace of mind.

*Not actually 27 brackets...probably

y'all got placed in the easiest bracket doe...par for the course.

DominoKid

The problem with that is he was absent because he broke the rules. That's different from an injury which is just bad luck and can't be helped.

I understand that his absence did likely cause a difference, but I don't believe it should have been taken into a consideration. Was he really punished if the games he didn't coach in didn't matter?

Id say yes actually. He lost wins, missed games and had schollys reduced which makes his job more difficult and taints his legacy. Thats about the best way I think you can handle it. The ultimate goal should be to punish the ppl at fault.

So Im fine with the committee giving the players a pass for anything that went down while their coach was out. I wish they had handled the Louisville situation in a similar fashion.

I also wasnt fond of them banning him from even talking to his players. Thats punishing the players at that point.

thefro

If UK/IU happens that's going to be a hell of a game.

Yogi Ferrell/Tyler Ulis will be the best point guard matchup in college this year.

Really like how IU matches up on paper.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
y'all got placed in the easiest bracket doe...par for the course.

Duke is a 4 seed, the bracket wasn't set up for them. But that salt about 2010 could cause hypertension tho, and I want you healthy for when the Panthers finally close the deal on the SB

EDIT: Elmore and Webber calling our game on Thursday. Odds of them not openly rooting against Duke during the game are .0000000000000000001

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Monmouth being my squad and also working there makes this snub suck a lot , but the NIT will bring us a couple of homes games and maybe lead to more exposure next year. We are only losing one guy, so next year should be interesting.

Duke plays Thursday at noon. Bummer, was hoping for a Friday game (I work in the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays).

Oh well, they didn't pull Norfolk State but I guess North Carolina Wilmington is good enough to continue the late alphabet alternate year streak.

2012 Lehigh
2014 Mercer
2016 North Carolina Wilmington
2018 Old Dominion

Proelite

Duke plays Thursday at noon. Bummer, was hoping for a Friday game (I work in the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays).

Oh well, they didn't pull Norfolk State but I guess North Carolina Wilmington is good enough to continue the late alphabet alternate year streak.

2012 Lehigh
2014 Mercer
2016 North Carolina Wilmington
2018 Old Dominion

2 seed
3 seed
4 seed
5 seed loss, which is not even an upset anymore.

jayhawker

I'm happy with KU's bracket. The East is the death bracket. The West is so weak, but it always is. And will continue to be so long as the Pac 10 is so bad, thanks to the committee's heavy emphasis on geography.

Rock chalk.

Johnny Dawkins has been let go by Stanford.

Stanford just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Blue Devil culture (I'm an expert), but...

The last two years at Stanford killed JD.

He could have come back to Duke like the Prodigal Son and taken over for K, but now it looks like that's Capel's job to lose.

Don't know if mention but listening to local news a lot of UCLA people want Alford out. But if they do UCLA has to pay Alford $10m for buyout. Yikes!!

Don't know if mention but listening to local news a lot of UCLA people want Alford out. But if they do UCLA has to pay Alford $10m for buyout. Yikes!!

Some well-heeled booster that's passionate (irrational) enough would write that check.

But is Alford doing a bad job? With my east coast bias and the fact that UCLA doesn't play games at a waking hour, I have forgotten all about the Bruins.

Edit: Just looked at the standings. How in the world does UCLA go 6-12 in conference and 15-17 overall? What are they doing out there?

Fjordson

The tournament is making me remember how baffling the college choices were for some of the top kids in the '15 class.

#1 Ben Simmons = no postseason
#4 Jaylen Brown = 0 tourney wins
#5 Henry Ellenson = 0 tourney wins
#8 Ivan Rabb = 0 tourney wins
#9 Caleb Swanigan = 0 tourney wins
#10 Malik Newman = not in the tournament
#12 Steven Zimmerman = not in the tournament
#14 Dwayne Bacon = not in the tournament
#15 Antonio Blakeney = not in the tournament

UK wanted most of these kids so yes this is sour grapes / douchey

Silkworm

NIT doesn't mean shit, but got to chime in after beating Ohio State.

Oh heck yeah :) Go Gators!

Hayes looked good filling in for Egbunu today and Hill has really turned it around lately (finally!). Now bring on the winner of Monmouth vs George Washington and hopefully the Gators' streak of road victories continues. :)

Johnny Dawkins is taking the very prestigious and highly sought after Central Florida coaching job. Go Citronauts!

I'm kind of meh on this guy. Seems like given the resources available at Stanford, he should have been doing better. I mean his postseason appearances there are something we would kill for, but Stanford obviously wasn't that happy. I guess we won't have nearly as high of academic requirements and he does seem to be a good recruiter. Our basketball facilities are also extremely nice. Plus we're going to start chartering flights! So that should help.

Danny White is a basketball guy, so I guess I'll try to trust this hire of his.

Top Bottom