• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Knox doesn't matter, Bamba doesn't matter (not with Vrank, Carter and Bolden). duval is the only one that matters. Duke doesn't get him then my 2017/18 sports fandom season basically ends when college football does.

Proelite

I think Knox want to avoid playing PF at ALL cost. Hence Kentucky. There is no way they'll play him at PF since they already have like 7-8 front court players.

I hope we land Duvall or if not Jackson returns...

Fjordson

I think Knox want to avoid playing PF at ALL cost. Hence Kentucky. There is no way they'll play him at PF since they already have like 7-8 front court players.

I hope we land Duvall or if not Jackson returns...
Wait why would he play PF? Is he not a natural 3?

Proelite

Fuuuck. There goes most of my hype. Thought he could shoot.

Calipai never seems to get good small forwards. It's always either an undersized 4 who hurts spacing or he just puts out a third guard.

Nvm, I was mistaken. He is shooting 30% for his career, 35% for his senior year.

He'll be good.

RR30

Knox doesn't matter, Bamba doesn't matter (not with Vrank, Carter and Bolden). duval is the only one that matters. Duke doesn't get him then my 2017/18 sports fandom season basically ends when college football does.

EL OH EL

This is rich, especially when all the Dukies were saying Knox was great and all locked up. Also Bamba is a billion miles better than Vrank and Bolden, and has much better upside than Carter.

EL OH EL

This is rich, especially when all the Dukies were saying Knox was great and all locked up. Also Bamba is a billion miles better than Vrank and Bolden, and has much better upside than Carter.

Yeah that's just truly being truly

Losing (and I will consider it losing when pretty much every crystal ball prediction for like the past month had him as a near-lock for Duke) Knox and potentially missing out on Bamba are devastating.

All we need now is Duval to decide he wants to go overseas and for Frank to stay in the draft and this will probably be the worst Duke team I've seen on paper in a long time.
Granted last year was one of the best Duke teams I've seen on paper in recent times and we all see how that worked out so maybe the paper isn't worth shit.

RR30

Losing (and I will consider it losing when pretty much every crystal ball prediction for like the past month had him as a near-lock for Duke) Knox and potentially missing out on Bamba are devastating.

All we need now is Duval to decide he wants to go overseas and for Frank to stay in the draft and this will probably be the worst Duke team I've seen on paper in a long time.
Granted last year was one of the best Duke teams I've seen on paper in recent times and we all see how that worked out so maybe the paper isn't worth shit.

Nah Duke will still have a good team, they will just be missing the big 3/4 that has been a staple of recent years (Parker/Tatum/Winslow). Duval/Allen/Trent/???/Carter is a good starting 5. It helps that the overall talent level will be down this year.

As for UK, I'm not a big fan of the upcoming team, unless Bamba commits and Diallo comes back. I thought Knox was overrated and quite frankly he's an awful fit with UK already having one better SF committed. I wanted Cam Johnson from Pitt because a 40% shooter with experience would be huge for next year.

Frank Jackson will declare for the NBA Draft, not hiring an agent.

I imagine that this is just to get some info on where he stands in the NBA circles straight from the scouts and then he'll turn and head right back to Duke. But you never know, maybe he'll have a great couple of weeks of pre-draft workouts and turn heads.

If he leaves...it's not going to be a banner year in Durham.

Frank Jackson has decided to stay in the NBA Draft, has signed an agent.

2017-18 is a ABC year sigh

CA328282-F43D-4D26-BD89-9F10C652988D.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I think both of you missed my point. Its not that Knox or Bamba won't be good players or that Bamba isn't as good or better than the bigs Duke currently has, its simply this.

If Duke doesn't have a true PG, like they didn't last year, then it will just be a repeat. K has to have someone on court he trusts to run the offense and that person has to be capable of actually running an offense. Having a 5 star PF/SF or Center doesn't fix any of the existing problems the team has.

EDIT: And paper has never been worth shit. 2006 and 2010 should have taught us that. 2015 was a complete fluke of a team coming together at the right time and having the talent to carry it out. In the end, most tourney runs are pretty much this, but I don't think Duke needs to set its blueprint to what the 2015 team did as a success. More often, you'll get 2017 instead.

I think both of you missed my point. Its not that Knox or Bamba won't be good players or that Bamba isn't as good or better than the bigs Duke currently has, its simply this.

If Duke doesn't have a true PG, like they didn't last year, then it will just be a repeat. K has to have someone on court he trusts to run the offense and that person has to be capable of actually running an offense. Having a 5 star PF/SF or Center doesn't fix any of the existing problems the team has.

EDIT: And paper has never been worth shit. 2006 and 2010 should have taught us that. 2015 was a complete fluke of a team coming together at the right time and having the talent to carry it out. In the end, most tourney runs are pretty much this, but I don't think Duke needs to set its blueprint to what the 2015 team did as a success. More often, you'll get 2017 instead.

Nah, I got your point. Duval is critical.

But having Duval + Knox or Bamba is hell of a lot better than Duval by himself.

Those are not marginal players and having them would only make Duval's job of running the offense easier. Vrankovic and Jack White suddenly don't become amazing offensive players because Duval threw them the ball.

JaQuan Lyle no longer part of Ohio State basketball team, spokesman says.

Well fuck.

Our 2015 class that was ranked 5th now has no remaining players.

Jordan Tucker committed to Duke. #40 in ESPN 100, 6'7" SF. Wasn't offered until a week ago (1 guess why).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...enior-jordan-tucker-announces-commitment-duke

Duke had been involved with Tucker for most of his recruitment, but didn't offer him until last Sunday -- one day after the Blue Devils missed out on five-star forward Kevin Knox, who surprisingly committed to Kentucky. Before Duke offered, Syracuse was the leader for Tucker, but the Blue Devils moved quickly and got Tucker on campus for an official visit Wednesday.

Live look-in to Syracuse

ZtIxPuW.png

Story Continues

Tucker, a 6-foot-7 forward from New York who moved to Wheeler High School (Georgia) for his senior season, is ranked No. 40 in the ESPN 100. He's one of the best 3-point shooters in the class, and will immediately find minutes on the wing for Duke.

Proelite

Godamn well be busting all over the ACC next year, with the exception of maybe Louisville. ACC is gonna suck so bad.

Duval is certainly the replacement for Frank.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

It will be interesting to see how he does. Arizona is a top program with talent, so if Jeter flourishes there, I think it is an indictment on how the staff underutilized him. Not so much the big fish in a small pond people insisted was the case for Semi Ojeleye or Elliot Williams.

It kind of the reason I don't want Bamba to come to Duke. Carter should be a star and Bolden should be capable to play with him and succeed. Vrank is more than capable of playing the Marshall Plumlee role for whichever one gets in foul trouble. If Bamba comes, Bolden is gone and the only reason I think he came back is the staff had to tell him he would be featured more. Thats not a great look. If K was willing to play multiple bigs, or....a bench, it wouldn't be a problem, but he's not inclined to do so.

Proelite

I remember saying that Cal was smart in hoarding up 4/5 star bugs, but it seems to have backfired this year in not landing Bamba.

Bamba also wanted to go to Duke but we prevented that from happening by releasing our recruiting class PR ahead of time. K wants Bolden around for junior year.

Fjordson

Hamidou Diallo is coming back to UK so that's good. Sets our starting 2 guard spot.

Calipari has a ton of talent this year, but I still feel like the pieces won't fit together. Need way more shooting imo.

Nicole Auerbach‏Verified account
@NicoleAuerbach
Follow
More
Ohio State announces Gene Smith and Thad Matta will hold a joint press conference today at 2 p.m. ET. No reason given.

Sounds like Greg Paulus is your new head basketball coach at the Ohio State University

Thads retiring after this year

Thad was the best head coach this program has ever seen, but his health couldn't keep up with the strain of recruiting and was clear he was losing the team. Hope we can bring in someone good, but I dont think we'll ever get back to where Thad took us in the late 2000s

Yeah the timing seems weird on this. No way Gene Smith doesnt already have another guy lined up, but sounds like this off season recruiting disaster was the final straw

Very odd timing indeed. Don't know who they will be looking at I would imagine Chris Mack and Gregg Marshall and will get neither.

"I was honored to be coached by and taught so many lessons from a great person," Oden told ESPN after the announcement. "He has helped me in so many ways as a player and a young man."

JmyAiY8.gif

Greg Oden was 76 years old when he played at Ohio State.

Insider says OSU wish list includes:
Brad Stevens, Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, Sean Miller & Billy Donovan.

OSU has the money to play, but cant see over half this list being a legitimate pick

Please Gene take Tony Bennett and his ugly basketball out of the ACC.

He basically already coaches B1G football style tactics, I'm sure that will translate on the hardwood for tOSU!

Top Bottom