• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

Silkworm

So Kevin Keatts is the new coach at NC State. Curious to see how he does there. :) Would be nice to see the Wolfpack rise in prominence to give UNC and Duke a run for their money ;-)

Indiana looking at Steve Alford

Jordan Schultz‏Verified account
@Schultz_Report

Follow
More
Steve Alford has been offered a 7-year, $31M contract, according to multiple people within this fluid situation. #ucla #indiana

Alford needs to give Lonzo 20% off the top*

*after he enters the draft of course

@Schultz_Report

Follow
More
Steve Alford has been offered a 7-year, $31M contract, according to multiple people within this fluid situation. #ucla #indiana

For real. Alford owes this contract to Ball. Which of course means 20% to Lonzo and 10% to Lavar.

@Schultz_Report

Follow
More

Lots of IU sources denying this. I hope they're right. Alford's resume is worse than Crean's, even in a profession full of massive egos he's known as an ass with a huge sense of entitlement, and his handling of Pierre Pierce situation does not sit well with me at all. I'd be embarrassed to have him coaching my alma mater.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Who do you guys think will replace K when Duke fires him in a few days after truly makes a phone call?

@Schultz_Report

Follow
More

Sports reporters are hinting he's leaning to take the job. Bryce is a senior so he doesn't need to stay around.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll get shit for this, but the basketball landscape has changed to a degree.

Too many schools living off the dreams of past glories firing coaches that are doing the best they can in the current landscape of college hoops.

Shame. I liked Jeter more than Bolden. Both are the softest bigs that I've seen in program history.

The one gripe I will continually have with Coach K is his tendency to use a short rotation. I feel like he doesn't give his guys the opportunity to learn in games, to make mistakes, to get a feel for what opposing players do up close, how referees officiate. I don't know if you can get this from sitting on the bench or from practicing, when you're going up against the same dudes day after day and learning them but not necessarily learning the full width and depth of what college competition actually is. You can't leave a guy on the bench for all of January and February and then expect anything out of him in March.

K used 13 scholarships this year for the first time ever and he still played just 7 guys. I also want to say it wasn't always this way -- in 1999, for example, his rotation was 9 deep. During the tournament when the announcers were talking about Duke's limited depth, I was screaming "this is a self-inflicted problem!"

But as I say that, I of course always acknowledge that between K and myself, one of us has 5 titles and 1000 wins and the other is me. so obviously his technique has worked out fairly well.

I hope Chase goes like Ojeleye, at least, and balls out for whatever school he plays for next.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if you can get this from sitting on the bench or from practicing, when you're going up against the same dudes day after day and learning them but not necessarily learning the full width and depth of what college competition actually is. You can't leave a guy on the bench for all of January and February and then expect anything out of him in March.

K is too conservative to let guys figure themselves out during games. I imagine he's always been that way. I dothink you can get enough experience from practice, but Duke's biggest issue these past several years is we haven't really had enough people to run full, intense 5 on 5 practices due to injury.

With Grayson and Amile's lingering injuries and the freshmen all out early, I doubt we did this year. In 2013, Seth didn't practice the entire year and I bet Ryan stayed out of them too after his foot issue. In 2015 we literally only had 8 scholarship players.

Transfers definitely hurt too. I understand why guys like Chase and Semi and Gbinije leave, and maybe they never would've gotten the PT they wanted even if they stayed through their senior year, but the difference in usefulness and contribution in practices between one of them (even if they don't see much game time) and a Justin Robinson (for example) is staggering.

I wish Chase the best of luck. I hope this means Bolden is staying, and if that's the case I hope his issues this year were related to his injury lingering and preventing him from getting back into shape and not due to attitude and/or work ethic.

Going to a rabid Wisconsin bar in DC tonight for Florida game with a good friend of mine who is a Wisconsin fan. I went with her once for some other game and it was packed. It's going to be fun walking in there rocking that orange and blue!

I predict a Sconies win but won't feel too bad. This Florida team is certainly not championship caliber and we will have a good season even if it ends tonight. Also really excited about Mike White's future at UF.

Have to say I wish I'd had as much fun as you did last night.

Hahahahahha YEEEEAAAAHHH BOYS. As expected it was wall-to-wall packed at that place. At first I found two Florida fans but they left at some point. I was the last man standing.

You should have seen how happy and cheering the Sconies were when they went up by two at the end. And then you should have seen their faces a few seconds later!!! As soon as the shot drained I bolted outside to the street in front of the bar and went NUTS. Didn't even bother going back in because I wasn't trying to be obnoxious and yet one guy still got really mad and tried to fight me because he was salty! Lmao! Amazing! Go Gators!!!

Miller's a fine hire. A lot of fans convinced themselves Billy Donovan was coming based on a bunch of anonymous rumors. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

More than anything I'm relieved it's not Alford. He's accomplished less than Crean in a longer career and is just a horrible person to boot.

Vanillalite

Live from the Garden Atliens here - Killer Mike

C8CLcqlVAAALF-L.jpg

C8CjwnDVUAAkV3v.jpg

Vanillalite

Been talked about a ton before, but they need to find a way to play more post season games at home on college campuses.

Last week's Ole Miss game was hype as fuck. This is boring as fuck despite being at MSG.

Vanillalite

It won't happen, but all of the tournaments should play home games until they hit the final 4 and then go neutral site.

Travel makes this virtually impossible though I understand.

Adam Rowe of The Devils Den tweeted earlier that Marques Bolden was transferring. He recently walked it back to say that he was considering transferring, but it wasn't final.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/The-Sporting-News-ranks-Duke-No-2-for-2017-18-52110032

***UPDATED 4/2 10:40*** - I have received further word from sources that Bolden has not made a final decision on whether or not he will transfer. We will continue to monitor this situation as it develops.

Duke Center Marques Bolden will transfer this offseason, according to sources. The big man from Desoto, TX was ranked 15th nationally coming out of high school but never lived up to the billing once he ended up at the college level. Early injuries to his lower leg (reportedly his ankle and foot) compounded to cause disruption to his adjustment to the college game.

Bolden only showed flashes of his potential throughout an up and down freshman year at Duke, missing the first eight games of the year and notching career highs of eight points, four rebounds and 23 minutes in the team's January 21st win over Miami.

Sources maintain that Bolden is expected to transfer closer to his Dallas home -- either TCU, SMU or Texas.

(I don't know Adam from Adam, but his story was retweeted by the former beat writer for Duke sports, who also vouched for his credibility.)

Proelite

I think it's going to be hard to sell the Duke experience to most top recruits. All the benefits of playing at Duke you can get elsewhere in programs such as Kentucky, or UCLA, without the negatives of a heavier course load, high expectations, and possibly being recruited over.

Bolden probably thinks that he can get guaranteed PT at some other program in his junior / senior year without the baggage that comes with being a Duke player.

We need to stick with players like Zoubek, Singler, Amile, Grayson who loves the all encompassing challenge, / stick with top 10 guaranteed one n dones that will put up with the difficult year with the reward of high exposure.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My guess is you guys end up with Mo Bamba. He seems to care about academics more than most recruits and these transfers are just opening up more and more possible playing time for him.

And speaking of transfers I got to see some practice footage of Charles Matthews. I can see why Beilein is so high on him. I know it's just practice but he looks REALLY athletic and his handles look markedly improved. Oh and he's put on about 20lbs of muscle. I think he's gonna be a good one.

My guess is you guys end up with Mo Bamba. He seems to care about academics more than most recruits and these transfers are just opening up more and more possible playing time for him.

And speaking of transfers I got to see some practice footage of Charles Matthews. I can see why Beilein is so high on him. I know it's just practice but he looks REALLY athletic and his handles look markedly improved. Oh and he's put on about 20lbs of muscle. I think he's gonna be a good one.

I think Bamba goes to Kentucky.

Regardless, it's going to be a long summer of soul-searching in Durham (especially if that other school wins tonight). It wasn't the worst Duke team I've ever seen, but the mismatch of expectations and reality was YUGE. I don't know if we see some huge programmatic change in the way K recruits/runs his team (I don't think he has enough time left to go through 4 year rebuilds ala 07-10 anymore). But I think everyone knows that (extenuating circumstances and all) that team with those players going out like that and then having dudes transfer out is not a good look.

Bolden would be the 6th transfer in the last 6 years. Ouch

Fjordson

I am really surprised Duke wasn't better this year, they had one of the nicest rosters I've seen in a while on paper. I think injuries, Coach K being out and maybe even the Grayson tripping stuff messed them up a bit, but who knows.

The transfer thing is interesting, basically seems like a side effect of recruiting a bunch of one and dones. It's a fine line because if you don't have enough you can't keep up with the high turnover of freshmen leaving, but if you recruit too many the ones who don't play will quickly get unhappy and leave.

I'm wondering if Sacha Killeya-Jones will transfer out of UK. He was a five star recruit and had offers from Kansas, Virginia and a few other schools, but only averaged like 5 minutes a game this year. He didn't even see the floor in the tourney.

I'm wondering if Sacha Killeya-Jones will transfer out of UK. He was a five star recruit and had offers from Kansas, Virginia and a few other schools, but only averaged like 5 minutes a game this year. He didn't even see the floor in the tourney.

Well, good. Cal and K can negatively recruit against each other over 5-stars not playing.

Fjordson

What if, Bolden leaves for UK, and SKJ leaves for Duke.

Inception.
Loll I'd take him. But it seems like our transfers go to smaller schools a lot of the time, or at least not traditional blue bloods. Kyle Wiltjer went to Gonzaga, Marcus Lee went to Cal, Charles Matthews went to Michigan, etc.

Proelite

Referencing https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/status/849035389830651904

Staying makes the most sense for Bolden, as it's the quickest path to the NBA, barring jumping now.

Of course, Coach K could end up playing him 5 minutes per game again next year.

Bolden's mom putting in the work. We'll need him to be a force down low senior and junior year.

I still think this ends badly for both parties. Dude doesn't seem to have any drive or intensity at all.

Top Bottom