• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

Proelite

UK fans. I need help navigating through your roster next year. It's a cluster fuck in the front court.

Who is leaving. Who is staying. Who is coming in.

Who is starting next year.

RR30

UK fans. I need help navigating through your roster next year. It's a cluster fuck in the front court.

Leaving- Everyone. There will be at least one transfer too.

Coming in- Everyone who is committed then Bamba and a 4* shooter like Mark Smith from Illinois or the kid that just decomitted from Cal. The Pitt transfer who shot 40% from three last year is an option too.

Starting next year? With so many dominos to fall left it's hard to tell. I'd go with Quade Green, Diallo, Jared Vanderbilt, PJ Washington and Bamba right now.

iamblades

Cals planned starting lineup was probably something like Green - Diallo - Vanderbilt - Washington - Richards. If Bam is coming back, then that may change things.

I personally think if he comes back Cal will try to slot him at the 4, not the 5, as the only real reason for him to do so is to show that he has the potential to develop a decent jumper. Him coming back and playing the same spot really does his draft stock no good.

So Green - Diallo - Vanderbilt - Bam - Richards.

One of Vanderbilt or Washington has to be able to play the 3 though, or we are fucked. We still really need to pick up a backup guard in the late period also, I'm sure Cal is on that though.

If we get Bamba or someone I have no idea what kind of lineup Cal is going to end up running though(especailly if Bam doesn't go). 4 F/Cs and a PG? lol

Fjordson

Apparently Vanderbilt is shooting well at Nike Hoop Summit practice. I can see him starting at the 3.

If we get Bamba, I think the starting front court will be Vanderbilt, PJ Washington and Mo Bamba.

Proelite

Cals planned starting lineup was probably something like Green - Diallo - Vanderbilt - Washington - Richards. If Bam is coming back, then that may change things.

I personally think if he comes back Cal will try to slot him at the 4, not the 5, as the only real reason for him to do so is to show that he has the potential to develop a decent jumper. Him coming back and playing the same spot really does his draft stock no good.

So Green - Diallo - Vanderbilt - Bam - Richards.

One of Vanderbilt or Washington has to be able to play the 3 though, or we are fucked. We still really need to pick up a backup guard in the late period also, I'm sure Cal is on that though.

If we get Bamba or someone I have no idea what kind of lineup Cal is going to end up running though(especailly if Bam doesn't go). 4 F/Cs and a PG? lol

What's happening with Briscoe? Surely he can't be leaving.

If Bam returns, I would think that a lineup with Green, Briscoe, Diallo, ???, and Bam is the starting lineup.

I think Cal loading on bigs is a legit strat. One n done perimeter players can contribute right away, but sometimes the best bigs out of HS are ill prepared for the college game.

iamblades

What's happening with Briscoe? Surely he can't be leaving.

If Bam returns, I would think that a lineup with Green, Briscoe, Diallo, ???, and Bam is the starting lineup.

I think Cal loading on bigs is a legit strat. One n done perimeter players can contribute right away, but sometimes the best bigs out of HS are ill prepared for the college game.

No argument against the 'grab every big you can' strategy, it's what almost got us to 40-0.

Even if Briscoe comes back I think the starting lineup should be green/diallo/Vanderbilt ( assuming his high school shooting ability transfers).

Briscoe at the wing just kills the offense. He is a backup PG until he learns to shoot.

I just keep refreshing ESPN all day looking for news of Kennard and Allen.

Kennard probably needs to strike while the iron is hot. Allen may have missed his window and might be in danger of having to trip dudes in Europe.

iamblades

Should have declared for Dleague. Dude is not ready.

That would be the case even if he came back though. He is a 6'3 shooting guard with a busted jumper.

He need to switch to point full time and spend 40 hours a week in the gym shooting, neither of which he can do at UK.

Proelite

VyFihHl.jpg

🤣

Wichita State officially joining the AAC AAC AAC! Will start next season for 2017-2018.

WSU
Memphis
UConn
SMU
Cincy
Temple

UCF
Houston

A solid league. If Memphis, UConn, and Temple could get their shit together and teams like Houston and UCF keep improving.

This makes the AAC balanced with 12 football playing members and 12 Olympic sport members. WSU bringing the non-football sports to balance the football only Navy.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Really awesome to see Quinn Cook not only finally sign a 2-year contract with an NBA team, but also go out there and ball for 22 pts in his first appearance afterwards. Makes me really happy. He and Nolan Smith are 2 of my favorite Duke players over the past decade.

Proelite

Really awesome to see Quinn Cook not only finally sign a 2-year contract with an NBA team, but also go out there and ball for 22 pts in his first appearance afterwards. Makes me really happy. He and Nolan Smith are 2 of my favorite Duke players over the past decade.

In other words lol at Derrick Thornton's dad. Call me skeptical that DT will get a title AND make the NBA.

Chief Turtle wants North Carolina to get the death penalty

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...th-penalty-north-carolina-tar-heels-athletics

Maryland president Wallace Loh says he would expect North Carolina to get the "death penalty" over the academic allegations that have hung over the athletic program since 2010.

"As president, I sit over a number of dormant volcanoes," Loh said during a University of Maryland senate meeting Thursday, according to the Raleigh News & Observer. "One of them is an athletic scandal. It blows up, it blows up the university, its reputation, it blows up the president.

"For the things that happened in North Carolina, it's abysmal. I would think that this would lead to the implementation of the death penalty by the NCAA. But I'm not in charge of that."

A Maryland spokesperson later said in a statement that Loh's comments were "not a reflection of personal beliefs about the university or its leadership."

Joel Curran, vice chancellor of communications at North Carolina, said school officials were taken aback by Loh's statement.

"We were surprised that a sitting university president with no direct knowledge of our case would choose to offer such uninformed and highly speculative opinions," Curran wrote in an email.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
His dad forced Thornton to transfer because we didn't run pick n rolls with Thornton all day and make him the focus of the offense on a team with Ingram, Luke and Grayson.

If that's what he wanted for his son then he should have sent him to Michigan. We run a ton of PnR. One of our assistants coached him in college and they were supposed to be such great friends. Couldn't ever get Derryck to pull the trigger though.

Though I'm sure Derryck would have been just fine running your offense too. It's sad to see stupid parents hold their kids back.

The weird thing is that

A) is not like he didn't get run at Duke. This isn't a Bolden situation where he didn't play (or barely played) for large stretches of the season. Thornton got plenty of playing time. He just didn't make the most of it.

B) absolutely would have been a major contributor to this year's team as the only true PG on the team (I think Papa Thornton saw Frank Jackson as K recruiting over Derryck but the two would have co-existed fine).

Unless they take banners down no1curr

And they're not taking banners down.

UNC's Justin Jackson is headed to the league with an agent. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...aves-north-carolina-tar-heels-enter-nba-draft

I only post the above bit of Carolina news so I could also post my support for Jalen Rose for President. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...greater-acclaim-former-player-jalen-rose-says

In an​ article where he defends his college coach Steve Fisher (and blasts his former teammate Chris Webber), he has this gem:

"With the success he had, he absolutely could have been my way or no way," Rose said. "With him being comfortable with who he was, he allowed us to express ourselves -- as long as we took care of business in school. That's the one thing that's been overlooked, how committed he was to school. And we weren't taking paperless classes like they do down in Chapel Hill."

Proelite

Unless they take banners down no1curr

And they're not taking banners down.

I am actually of the opinion that multiple years of probation is way worse than taking down banners. One is symbolical, the other is a punishment that might take a long time to recover from. I mean, everything in life is not about what once was, but about what will be. U get me?

Frank Jackson will declare for the NBA Draft, not hiring an agent.

I imagine that this is just to get some info on where he stands in the NBA circles straight from the scouts and then he'll turn and head right back to Duke. But you never know, maybe he'll have a great couple of weeks of pre-draft workouts and turn heads.

If he leaves...it's not going to be a banner year in Durham.

More Tarheels are declaring. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-berry-theo-pinson-tony-bradley-declare-draft

North Carolina's Joel Berry, Theo Pinson and Tony Bradley have all declared for the NBA draft but will not sign with agents and can return to school if they so choose.

The trio has until May 24 to remove their names from consideration.

Sign with agents, guys. Your names are sure to be called. I'm thinking lottery. Boston's looking at a couple of you with the Nets' pick.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ohio grad transfer Jaaron Simmons to Michigan. Was an All-MAC First teamer who averaged 16 ppg and 6.5 apg for the Bobcats. That fills a very big hole in next years roster.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Too late RF

Carolina Basketball‏Verified account
@UNC_Basketball

Joel Berry II is withdrawing his name from the NBA Draft process and will return to UNC next season

Jesus, what kind of dirt does Roy have on these kids? Seems crazy not to leave in Berry's situation. It's not like his stock is going up.

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account
@GoodmanESPN

Guys that haven’t signed with agents who have been invited to Draft Combine: Tony Bradley, Frank Jackson, Kyle Kuzma and Donovan Mitchell.

Proelite

FREEEEEDDDDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMM
QQRjkbl.gif

With that said, K learns from the best like Cal and Roy. After 2012, K stocks up on 1ndones. After 2017, K stocks up on 3 star recruits.

We need our Luke Maye.

Top Bottom