• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4/3 - Fight For Relief: Charity Event For JAPAN - iplaywinner x level|up

LakeEarth

Ultimoo said:
everyone dies to guns.

p.s thor rocks, LOL. justin should really just do the combo that uses tornado hyper in the air instead of the reset, he always has so much bar.
He couldn't in those situations. He would only go for the reset when he couldn't get an assist out there to pop the opponent up after the OTG so that Thor could do the tornado hyper.

Went to bed after Super, but I am glad the event went so well. It is awesome to see how amazing a community can be when rallied together for a cause, I personally picked up one of the Broken Tier Japan shirts. I had been looking at donating to Japan for a while now and I am glad I did it when I did.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Where can i find J. Wong's awesome MvC3 play?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sixfortyfive said:
Eh. IMO, Justin's performance in this tournament made his opponents look weak more so than it made his team look strong. Few of his opponents respected the armor and got punished for stupid mistakes because of it. When he was running away to stall out his opponent's X-Factor, he didn't think to use air pendulum or air dash to help stall for time. He often got the hyper armor move stuffed on start-up by throwing it out at unsafe times. He also didn't really utilize the gong much until late in the tournament. I mean, if I was in his position, I would have played her vs Arthur on point in that one match no questions asked instead of going ahead with the assist power-up route right off the bat like he did. If there is one single match-up where Hsien-Ko absolutely dominates, it's vs Arthur. He literally cannot touch her unless he spends meter.

Justin's combos were also rather basic but that's actually typical of him no matter what team he's running most of the time. His approaches are so solid and he reacts to his opponents so quickly that solid fundamentals are simply good enough for him. Little flash, lots of substance. It was still great to watch though. Mighty Speech in a match was so good.
I agree with this. It's not "OMG HSIEN-KO IS AWESOME NOW," and is more people just getting exposed by Justin's execution and innate ability to make lightning fast reads on his opponents. In fact, his Hsien-Ko was noticably weak throughout. He also showed pretty incomplete knowledge of Thor, which is intentional, but through execution and, well being Justin Wong, wowed the crowd.

Wong just proved he knows the game and can utilize it's mechanics so much better than the rest who faced him. And that's what keeps him on top most of the time.

Still waiting on Iron Man superior tech. He just kinda dicked around in training mode and then went to the next match :(

Dahbomb

Man I wasn't saying the team is top tier or any shit like that. In fact I think the team itself is weaksauce. Very low synergy and totally riding on Hsien-Ko's assist. Not a lot of good hypers and good DHC options either. In fact, no character on that team has spammable hypers... nothing like Storm's Ice Storm or Akuma's Beam hyper that you can use from full screen and chip opponent to death. Chris's Grenades come close but they aren't as great.

On the other hand, Thor and Chris are both extremely solid if played well and if paired with the right assists. And JWong could've done better with Thor. Same for Hsien-Ko.

Yeah the other people just didn't know how to deal with these characters at all. People rushing into Thor and getting picked up by Hsien Ko assist and then getting double KO'd. Happened at ARKIII too.

Capcom's idea of balancing Hsien-Ko = Give her one of the best assists in the game and nerf her on point. Same sense of balancing used for Haggar and Tron who also have one of the best assists in the game but not that great of a point game.

And 100% agreed on the combos, JWong was doing day 1 combos with all 3 characters with the addition of some resets (also day 1) with Thor. His overall game is just too solid. He did have that one combo with Chris which ends in the LVL3 hyper that basically kills off most characters in the game.

I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to email my receipt to get into the raffle. I missed all of them except the end of the night one. I got to contribute to a good cause though, so it's not really bad at all. Still... I'd have loved at least the chance for a stick that my idiot brain deprived me of.

Kapwan

Neo Member
This was a great event and one of the best things happened off stream at the So Cal tourney. A new young prodigy was discovered in 8 year old player names Cory. This kid got a double perfect using Bison against a Cody player in SSFIV and the kid advanced a few rounds in both Marvel and SSFIV. This kid might be the next Justin Wong. Gootecks and some others did interviews with the kids so I'm sure you'll see it on Cross Counter and in some documentaries. Youtube videos of his matches will be up in the next few days as well.

I'm not sure how things looked on the stream but from being there I can say it was a really fun tournament. Also look for WWE All Stars Shenanigans soon because a lot of top players were getting into that game at the UCI Tournament.

Top Bottom