• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$499 Steam Machine from iBuyPower Revealed [Up: AMD CPU, Radeon 270 GPU]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
Well yeah, it won't be a Steam Machine unless it runs SteamOS. If you want windows you can just throw it on there and get access to everything.

I don't see why. It's probably just like Valve's prototype where they have a mini itx board with a pci riser to make the gpu sideways. I don't think Valve's prototype have any custom parts other than the case.

If it is a 270 which should be a small low TDP card then i could see it but not something with a 280x/760 GTX equivalent.

Wow, Gabe's not messing around.

Wow, these Steam machines could really potentially be a game-changer.

Yup.The specs are good, the box is nicely designed but what is most important of all is that the price is fantastic, truly impressive. And this is just a machine from a small vendor, imagine what larger manufacturers could offer and at what price. The price point of this Steam Machine should dispel the myths that the Steam Machines would be prohibitively expensive once and for all.

Valve are gunning for the traditional console market. Anyone who still doesn't see that is simply in denial.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
and it's even smaller than the xbox one.

god damn.

change that pink strip to green and it really could have been the xbox one. dddddaaaaamn

Exuro

and it's even smaller than the xbox one.

god damn.

change that pink strip to green and it really could have been the xbox one. dddddaaaaamn
From the looks of IBuyPower's concept stuff you'll be able to change the color of the LED.

$499 is killer.

Will it have an optical/disk drive?
Doesn't look like it. This small form factor with relatively uncustomized parts makes it hard to put in a disk drive.

What the X1 could have been (if not for Kinect)

could have been more even with Kinect if the eetimes breakdown is even remotely accurate about ms making approximately $100 proft on each console sold....

on topic. sitting on a couch 5+ feet away do gamesactually have to run on the highest settings or can you get away with mid high settings at 1080p 60fps and have trouble telling the difference at 5+ feet away compared to a rig running on ultra settings at 1 or 2 feet away?

aktham

Now I don't have to build a HTPC/living room gaming PC. I'll just wait for these Steam boxes. I'm just hoping we can install Windows 7 on these so we can use them for more than just gaming.

Yup.The specs are good, the box is nicely designed but what is most important of all is that the price is fantastic, truly impressive. And this is just a machine from a small vendor, imagine what larger manufacturers could offer and at what price. The price point of this Steam Machine should dispel the myths that the Steam Machines would be prohibitively expensive once and for all.

Valve are gunning for the traditional console market. Anyone who still doesn't see that is simply in denial.

yeah, if this is any indication, the specs are there and so is the price. Now I'm just wondering how SteamOS will shape up. If Valve wants to take a bit of that console marketshare, it needs to be relatively simple. For the most part, people aren't going to want to mess with drivers or do a lot of trouble-shooting.

Regardless, I'm eager to see Valve's plan and how it unfolds. I really do hope they are successful, it means more competition.

Looks like a Wii with some playstation and RROD mixed in.

I fail to see how you came to such an observation. PS4 sure, but everything else? What?

Lingitiz

If that price and specs are for real I would definitely buy one to supplement my already existing desktop. I lug around my big ass desktop back and forth to places, so it would be nice to have a smaller box for those situations.

-MD-

Bit off topic but iBuyPower is still around? I remember when I ordered a computer from them about 10 years ago, I built a $1400 computer and the big perk with my choice was free 2 day shipping which would have saved me a nice sum of money.

Fast forward a month later and I still don't have my computer, I ring the owner and politely ask where my computer is, guy goes nuts threatening to ship it to me broken. Computer arrives a week later broken and the guy makes me spend $200 of my own money to send it back to him for a refund so I ended up with no computer and I lost that $200.

I was 14.

Sajjaja

Bit off topic but iBuyPower is still around? I remember when I ordered a computer from them about 10 years ago, I built a $1400 computer and the big perk with my choice was free 2 day shipping which would have saved me a nice sum of money.

Fast forward a month later and I still don't have my computer, I ring the owner and politely ask where my computer is, guy goes nuts threatening to ship it to me broken. Computer arrives a week later broken and the guy makes me spend $200 of my own money to send it back to him for a refund so I ended up with no computer and I lost that $200.

I was 14.

Holy shit.............

Afrikan

Can you imagine $499.99?

For Sony's sake, thank god for their Exclusives.

hopefully/expecting for no charge for online play.

This is going to be next to my PS4. I get Sony shit AND those XboxOne/PC titles. (at least the ones available for SteamOS right? or is any PC game)

I can't wait.

I wonder what a Lenovo or Samsung Steam Machine would be like. If iBuyPower can pull off a $499 box that is more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One, these two companies have the capabilities and the clout to really put the hurt on Microsoft and Sony. CES in January is going to be epic.

Exuro

If not standardized specs, what is the main reason to release steam machines?
To expand the pc base to those that don't want to deal with the hassles of pc gaming.

I wonder what a Lenovo or Samsung Steam Machine would be like. If iBuyPower can pull off a $499 box that is more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One, these two companies have the capabilities and the clout to really put the hurt on Microsoft and Sony. CES in January is going to be epic.
This makes me wonder if the manufacturers have any access to adding additional software in the system like they do with android phones.

PG2G

I might buy a SteamMachine for a nicely designed form factor and then throw a Windows license because I still think SteamOS is stupid :p

strata8

Do they really? Samsung isn't really in the market for razor-thin margin hardware, which is what you're going to be selling if you want more power than the PS4 at $399.

Tagyhag

Not a fan of that case but that's the beauty of the Steam machines, you are not stuck with whatever design the big 3 force you to love.

Do they really? Samsung isn't really in the market for razor-thin margin hardware, which is what you're going to be selling if you want more power than the PS4 at $399.

I believe so, because their production capabilities are huge so that means that their costs are much smaller. iBuyPower's Steam Machine is roughly 25% more powerful than the PS4 and 25% more expensive. That's already impressive as hell because a small vendor can already practically price match a big company like Sony and outright beat Microsoft handily. Asus could easily pull off something even faster at the same price, and that's with the controller included. Amazing.

Even I didn't think that Steam Machines would be so competitive so soon. I thought that the first wave of Steam Machines with console-like specs would cost around $600. $499 is madness, this really changes everything.

unwritt3n

Banned
Fugly. Say what you will about the Xbone design. I think they nailed it. For a console that should be sitting under your TV.
I wonder how bright those lights are. Same with the PS4 and the big strip lighting. We don't need this for a game console.

The two companies I can picture making really good and affordable steam machines are Asus and MSI. They can get away with making them really thin too by using their laptop components.

I was 14.

I bought a pc from them and received it just fine. Btw when you order 2 day shipping that doesn't mean you will get it in 2 days, especially if you custom build. There is time needed to process the order, gather parts if necessary, build it, ready for shipping, etc. But once it is shipped you then get the 2 day shipping.

The PC I bought had no problems and actually runs quite well to this day... And at a very good temperature.

I have always thought of iBuyPower as a sketchy company. To the point where I wouldnt even consider then as a viable option when I was pricing made to order PCs. But I gotta say those prototypes look really nice

Tellaerin

That sure is ugly.

Valve shouldnt let them design the casing. Just look at most 'pc' players. Their casing and peripherals are things of pure awfulness.

I have my PC stuck under a desk. I glance at it for about two seconds a day - just long enough to turn it on and off. Why should I care how it looks?

Crazy that they can sell that for $500 when IBP has to make their money selling hardware.

It's not that crazy when you remember that Microsoft and Sony are not subsidizing their consoles heavily this time. If I remember correctly, Sony is breaking even and Microsoft turns a profit. Still, the price for this is seriously impressive.

alle090

Neo Member
Can you imagine $499.99?

That.. is an acceptable price.

So, how are we looking at distro?
Are we looking at digital download only or USB/memorystick retail?
Are we mergering PC with this STEAM box?
Or are we looking at Steam OS boxen similar to XB and PS4 boxing?

And how will uppgrading work? since games will take space. Probobly an option to change HDD(?) right?
So how will that work?

In other words, this is going to be a gaming PC that's nowhere near price competitive with consoles. To get 1080/60 on everything, you're probably going to need GTX 670/680 class hardware, at a minimum. At that point, you're at PS4 pricing before you even add a CPU, memory, motherboard, OS, or the custom enclosure. That doesn't even include a controller.

Steam Machines are going to be dead in the water unless vendors make more cost effective models. The people willing to spend $1000+ on gaming hardware probably build their own, and people buying consoles already aren't going to pay a 100% premium over current-gen console prices just to get a Steam machine.

(Hopefully, other vendors will tone down the hardware somewhat, and concentrate on bringing the systems closer to price parity with consoles -- or at least the same ballpark.)

Pretty much this^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom