• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999 Designers Working On 3DS & Vita Visual Novel Adventure [Screens]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSR

Same thing came to mind here. Some of the characters bring to mind the 999 cast so much it's hard not to think they'll be connected somehow.

Thoraxes

shadyspace said:
the first game dealt with alternate timelines. Logical continuation alternate realities?
It'll probably be whatever June was off to after the True end when she drove off first. Maybe this will be the experiment at the same time in the boat, since 999 was in the desert one.

AniHawk

man this game better take advantage of the hardware the way 999 did.

for instance maybe the vita and 3ds versions being different versions is part of the story

Korigama

shadyspace said:
the first game dealt with alternate timelines. Logical continuation alternate realities?

This seems plausible (it was one of the only explanations I could think of for so many similarities).

Jintor

AniHawk said:

for instance maybe the vita and 3ds versions being different versions is part of the story

Would be so awesome

Come on Game Designers! BLOW MY MIND! I demand it (in exchange for money)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kagari said:
Sigma is the main character. He's a college student.
The girl's name is Phi.

Does it say that those are really their real names? Σ (capital Sigma)? Φ (Phi)? Because...
Greek letters have numerical significance (at least, for ordinal numbers)

Erigu said:
I've seen a bunch of people (not necessarily "most", mind you) actually prefer it to Machi, which is fairly surprising, considering the cult status of that one.
But my best memories of the game are from the extra scenario penned by Kamaitachi no Yoru's Abiko Takemaru...
Huh, that's pretty interesting. I was considering importing it since I had noticed it went budget, and a few of my friends in uni had raved about 428, but quite a few of them had never played Machi. But if it's apparently better than Machi (!) then it's likely worth the price.

Added bonus if Abiko Takemaru's contributed to 428.

AniHawk said:

This would convince me to get a Vita.

Luigi87

I'll be stunned if Rie Kugimiya doesn't voice
the Clover looking girl

Thoraxes said:
Whatever happens, they need Wakamoto-sama to play the bad guy. Just hire him for ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD.

I've noticed a serious lack of him in recent anime...

Erigu

LiK said:
Not confirmed yet. Hopefully more info comes out soon~
Considering the article explicitly says there are two characters ("pink-haired girl" and "brown-skinned woman") who both suspiciously look like characters from 999, I'd say it's pretty much a given.
I mean, it could be some kind of "star system" thingy, I guess, yeah, but really...

Kagari said:
Sigma is the main character. He's a college student.
The girl's name is Phi.
Argh. Didn't think of Greek letters. Yeah, it'd be "Phi", then, of course...

Dark Schala said:
Does it say that those are really their real names? Σ (capital Sigma)? Φ (Phi)? Because...
Greek letters have numerical significance (at least, for ordinal numbers)
Phi is 21 though... I mean, the bracelets appear to be able to display double digits, but still...

if it's apparently better than Machi (!)
Wait: I just said that a bunch of people, not necessarily "most", preferred it to Machi. I don't know if there's some kind of consensus as to which game is the superior one.
But I don't think people expected that particular question to be asked, prior to the release of the game, and that's impressive already.

Added bonus if Abiko Takemaru's contributed to 428.
Ôtsuka Akio even plays a (strictly visual) role in that scenario.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Larger scan of the characters surfaced :D

Check out the same place XD Don't forget to click on the pic to make it max resolution ;D

GSR

Looks like most of them have bracelets again, but I can't spot them on the June-esque lady and the kid. They could be under the sleeves, though. The others all have at least one wrist hidden.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Erigu said:
Phi is 21 though... I mean, the bracelets appear to be able to display double digits, but still...
Ah, I'm probably thinking too hard, but I meant
Greek numerals, whereby each unit (1, 2, ..., 9) is assigned a letter, each ten (10, 20, ... , 90) assigned a letter, and each hundred (100, 200, ... , 900) assigned a letter. I'm not sure if it goes up to (1, ... , n), but likely not since the alphabet doesn't expand that far. Numerals are distinguished by [ʹ], so for example, σʹ = 200, πʹ = 80. Now that I think about it some more, I doubt that the numbers would go that high anyway, since we only dealt with 0-9 in the original.

I doubt that the names would be used in that manner, though, and are probably just stylized nicknames. I only brought it up because they also go by the name
Alexandrian numerals... That woman who looks like Allice in combination with the Greek letters made me think of it.

Wait: I just said that a bunch of people, not necessarily "most", preferred it to Machi. I don't know if there's some kind of consensus as to which game is the superior one.
But I don't think people expected that particular question to be asked, prior to the release of the game, and that's impressive already.

Ôtsuka Akio even plays a (strictly visual) role in that scenario.
Otsuka Akio is instant-buy. I might as well import it in a few months (or try to borrow it from someone) just to see what it's like.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Also, if you look closely
Clover's hair has the same pink streaks in it haha

She also has those earmuffs, but now they're a hair tie. And she's wearing a clover belt buckle ;D

And I swear that's June on the left XD And All-Ice likes her jewelry in place of a bra lol

Thoraxes

Akselziys said:

Check out the same place XD Don't forget to click on the pic to make it max resolution ;D
Dat
robot arm!
Also the
one who looks like Akane is holding her hands in the same way She did in 999, for some parts anyways.

LiK

Akselziys said:
Also, if you look

She also has those earmuffs, but now they're a hair tie. And she's wearing a clover belt buckle ;D
Sweet. But I still like the girl in your avatar more :D

dvolovets

Day 1! 999 is probably the best visual novel on the DS (maybe tied with Ghost Trick and Trials And Tribulations), cannot wait for this.

survivor

Banned
Akselziys said:

Regarding the characters
I'm getting a Yoko (Gurren Lagann) vibe from that Clover looking girl.

Love all the designs and it's nice to see tradition of
big boobs female character still alive

AniHawk

Hylian7 said:
So it seems like it IS 999 sequel. HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

hey if this pushes the alternate dimensions thing, then maybe my vita/3ds being two parts of a whole story isn't too far off.

won't be too thrilled if it's just some sad little virtual novel thing like hotel dusk though.

Hylian7

Akselziys said:
Also, if you look closely

I was assuming it was their offspring at first, maybe not though. Is it possible that that is Akane next to the rabbit-thing?

Thoraxes

AniHawk said:
hey if this pushes the alternate dimensions thing, then maybe my vita/3ds being two parts of a whole story isn't too far off.

won't be too thrilled if it's just some sad little virtual novel thing like hotel dusk though.
Each group in
a different ship!
However, I think Nonary won't be as integral this time and will focus on other cool as hell themes. I hope this has some multiple routes in vein of Ever17.

AniHawk

Kagari said:
Scan begging is ban-worthy just so you know... I'll give you 5 minutes to delete that post.
we can't delete posts anymore. we haven't been able to since before you got here.

You know, it's funny. Earlier, maybe a few days ago, I was thinking that there should be a sequel to this game(999). I remembered in the "answers" section on the website, they talked about a sequel a little bit. But I thought, "Nah. They wouldn't do that." And maybe this isn't a direct sequel, but it looks to have the same concept and possibly some return characters. Perhaps I willed it to happen.

shadyspace said:
I hope to God that if it's localized the English title'll stay "Extreme Escape Adventure Good People Die"
It'll probably be "EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME ESCAPE EXPLOSION: PLEASANT PEOPLE PERISH!!!"

Kagari said:
Scan begging is ban-worthy just so you know... I'll give you 5 minutes to delete that post.

Should've given him 81 seconds to find the edit button.

AniHawk said:
or maybe a future friend of yours was trying to tell you something.

This is a possibility, I just hope it doesn't end in
Sudoku. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom