• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A critique of Destiny 2's issues (power, loot, end-game) by one of the top players

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
It's absolutely bizarre to me that people genuinely want RNG rolls back just so they can get an adrenaline high when they get the 'God roll' after hours upon hours of play.

Re-introducing RNG perks as they were in Destiny 1 would;

1. Make the game less accessible due to the best guns being hidden behind an extra layer of RNG.

2. Destroy the identities guns currently have - Everybody knows what gun I'm talking about and why I am talking about it when I say 'Better Devils' or 'Uriel's Gift'. Better Devils should not exist without Explosive Rounds because at that point it would not be Better Devils anymore.

3. Not fix the supposed 'issue' of the second or third drop of a weapon not being exciting, but instead shifts that around so that all drops that are not God-rolls are not exciting. And when you do get that God-roll, more drops of that weapon cease to be exciting again for the most part anyway.

4. Not be a 'solution' to the supposed lack of variety in weapons at the moment; it would simply add a shit-ton of non-viable / bad versions of existing weapons while limiting the true value of an item to how close it is to the God-roll. Variety can and should be increased by the addition of new uniquely named weapons to the game over time; new guns with their own new perk combos and their own identity.

There is no compelling reason to bring RNG perk rolls back. Instead of having 80% of the guns be bad, you'd just have 100% of the guns be bad 80% of the time.

If people are just craving for more grind, there are numerous ways to add end-game grind without making the core of the game less accessible / more frustrating to non-hardcore players. I'd argue that the problem with the end-game isn't the lack of grind but rather the lack of incentive to do certain activities (Strikes and Meditations) and the omnipresence of the Token system, but that gets into another discussion entirely.

Fjordson

There is no doubt that the game has plenty of playability, and it's fun to play, but it cannot be treated as a hobby in its current state. I can't blame my friends for not playing, because the game feels intended to be beaten and moved on from. Bear in mind, I am one of those guys that play too much and so are my friends. This game does not work for that attitude at all, unfortunately for us.
Holy shit, it's like he reached into my mind to articulate my exact thoughts for me.

I didn't play D1, so I was hyped to jump into the seemingly improved D2 and have it be my main game for a while. A game that I always have on my plate that I can play. Sort of like what a good MMO can be (like WoW still is and has been since 2004). Maybe not quite to that extent, but something at least similar.

Sadly, it isn't even in the same universe as something like that. I'm already back to WoW with numerous things to do after two weeks of Destiny 2. Granted, those two weeks were incredibly fun, but I've basically done everything until the next DLC. There's just not enough there and overall it feels sort of thin and inconsequential...at least compared to what I was hoping it would be.

I've seen some people in various places online say they actually appreciate that about D2. That you can see everything without committing some crazy amount of time to it, which is totally valid. All of this is just my personal opinion. It's just really disappointing for me that the game in its current state is so far off from what I was looking for. I was really hoping it'd be something that would stick with me, that I could always come back to, but it sort of just came and went like any other game.

Oh man

This whole D1 vs D2 debate feels like some bizarre social experiment

I can only imagine the discussions the developers are having over this

joecanada

I hit 302 before completing the raid.
I finished the raid and guess what, I was still 302.
Fashion Destiny is the true endgame for Destiny 2 and I want to look fantastic.

I finished the whole campaign and some side stuff and I'm only 210, does the loot just gradually get stronger or am I supposed to be doing something else? I have just mostly been running strikes, public events. I don't get the dismantling process this time around like if I have a 105 exotic do I just dismantle it?

Drey1082

There's a struggle right now in the D2 community. I totally get this sentiment. Honestly, it fits my current schedule better. "D2 is a fine game to jump in a few times a week and have fun with friends". Etc.

But at heart I'm a hardcore Destiny nerd. Lots of people are. We crave for the promise of Destiny being OUR GAME. People who play Dota or League or FFXIV or WoW or Diablo, even Overwatch or Hearthstone have "their game". You never really need to play another if you choose not to. And that fosters a really special hardcore community. Sure, it's toxic sometimes. But there's this incredibly deep, special satisfaction of the depth present in many of those games that Destiny has had at times, which is completely absent right now.

Me, and tons of other people, desperately crave for destiny to be OUR game. I don't have a desire to play another game most nights of the week. I want there to be incredible depth and length to the gameplay. I don't give a damn about price. I would pay lots and lots of money many times over to have that depth. And right now, it doesn't feel like Bungie is fostering that game for us.

Everything Slayerage said is spot on. That's cool that the people who don't have a ton of time got something good out of D2. But here's to hoping that Bungie can improve D2, and improve it fast, for our own sake, the people who log on every night praying for any darn reason to do anything in this game. The people who have stuck with Bungie thick and thin, through all the D1 content droughts as well. Because at it's core, we know Destiny is better than the rest. Now we just need the developer to realize that too.

I think this post hits the nail on the head and describes the hardcore vocal-minority destiny community well. i think the developers of destiny do not have the same game in mind as this group does. They see a game that people play through the content and then do various milestones a few times a week until the next content dump comes along.
The hardcore destiny community wants a game that provides deep optimization and end game content that can be grinded continuously. Therefore it becomes this messaging issue.

Destiny 1 was a game that obviously did well and found an audience, but really did not cater to casuals much at all. Light and making progress was confusing, there was little content at start, and a lot of the endgame content wasn't utilized. The player retention rate was probably a metric highly studied by their internal teams and activision. However, the game developed a loyal fanbase who stuck with it and were eventually rewarded with a game that improved over time due to bungie listening to feedback and resolving issues the loyal community alerted them too.

With destiny 2, the focus shifted away from this loyal minority back to the masses. How can we get the silent majority of gamers who fell off the D1 to give us another chance and stick with it? The player who plays a lot of different games, and plays destiny a couple hours at a time and a few days a week . We do this by making things simpler, we make progress easier to obtain, we implement LFG into the game in some fashion to help people experience the end game content. All of these things target a specific audience, and it's not the hardcore. Where one player might find re-rolling weapon perks a tedious and confusing chore they don't have time for, the hardcore feel some sense of accomplishment in getting that perfect roll.

I give bungie credit, this whole destiny thing has been a huge leap of faith for them. I personally feel like destiny 2 is a much better game compared to destiny 1, as someone who has limited time to step in and plays probably 5-6 hours a week max. But i understand the "influencers" and hardcore community's point as well. It's hard to be so loyal and invested in something, to see it shift away from you towards a new audience. Its' a fine line to walk to appeal to the masses, while keeping your vocal minority happy.

It's absolutely bizarre to me that people genuinely want RNG rolls back just so they can get an adrenaline high when they get the 'God roll' after hours upon hours of play.

Except I feel that the suggested implementation of them in the OP actually gives players a means to work toward them outside of just pure-RNG as they were in Destiny 1:

Reintroduce randomized rolls but control for it better. Create a list of perks and their values from weak, ok, strong, and incredible. Give them appropriate rarities (25%,50%,20%,5% as an example) and then find an appropriate pace to reduce luck levels as playtime increases so you have some level of diminishing returns. Reward players in a way that respects their dedication, but doesn't put them on a totally different level.

Reintroduce reforging alongside random perks such that you combine two weapons into one, choosing which perks from both you want and scrapping the rest, so god rolls are possible to work towards. Critically here, godrolls would become unique to the individual and feel like a progressive endeavor rather than a slot machine. Someone could log on and work on making their perfect Mannanan SR4. This system would make repeat drops of many kinds valuable, and players would finally have some customization that isn't purely cosmetic.

I know people are saying Slayerage has played thousands of hours and he shouldn't complain that he doesn't have anything to do.

The thing is even if you haven't played as much as he has, Destiny 2 just like 1 has a shit end game. You were always chasing a number in 1 and it's no different here in 2. The difference is most of D2s loot is bland. You get all this loot and the game doesn't give you a reason to use them.

I remember in Destiny 1 when you spawn into the Cosmodrome at Light level 10, it took two melee hits to kill a vandal and it was still 2 melee hits at Light level 400. What the hell kind of power fantasy is that? There's no progression whatsoever. What's the difference between PL 280 and 305?

What makes it worse in D2 is the loot is just boring and uninspired. I don't want random rolls either but they over corrected way too much in the other direction and the mod system is just bad and also boring.

Maddocks

I'm 305 on 3 characters but I stick around to play it daily because of the community and friends. The game is just fun to screw around with, i really don't care about the loot, I care about the fun and fun is what I have with the game with friends and to me, that is worth it.

TsuWave

Destiny 2 took so many steps back when put up against Destiny 1 year 3, that it hurts.

game is like a month old and already in a bad place

Chucker

I finished the whole campaign and some side stuff and I'm only 210, does the loot just gradually get stronger or am I supposed to be doing something else? I have just mostly been running strikes, public events. I don't get the dismantling process this time around like if I have a 105 exotic do I just dismantle it?

As you start doing strikes and completing milestones the creep will happen til about 260ish, then it will slow until 280 and then the cap is 305.

gattsu

Totally agree 100%. I think the sentiment behind it that D1 fans want, though, was that there was a reason to be playing over and over to get SOME kind of gun that was special in some way. Then when you got that gun, there was satisfaction, and it was coveted. Maybe we don't need something as bad as the old Grasp of Malok or Imago Loop drops, but it would be great if *any* guns were exclusive.

Let's be honest - I have all the Trials guns even though I've never gone flawless (clan engrams/easy trials tokens). I got lots of the Raid weapons just from clan engrams too. Purple engrams have given me all the Meta weapons for Crucible. Faction Rally was very easy to get every weapon by just playing for a day. Exotic weapons are incredibly common, and few are actually "exotic".

Maybe there just needs to be some way for guns to feel more exclusive? Or, have gun cosmetics be more exclusive? Most people can get most of the "good" guns by not even trying, which isn't very fun.

One of the only few things keeping me coming back and grinding is that I don't have an Antiope-D yet from the gunsmith, but I anticipate it will drop any day now. It's nothing like finally getting that god-roll Party Crasher or Matador from D1. Which is the feeling I think most of us miss. Good riddance to random rolls - but goodbye to exclusive guns.

1. Make the game less accessible due to the best guns being hidden behind an extra layer of RNG.

2. Destroy the identities guns currently have - Everybody knows what gun I'm talking about and why I am talking about it when I say 'Better Devils' or 'Uriel's Gift'. Better Devils should not exist without Explosive Rounds because at that point it would not be Better Devils anymore.

3. Not fix the supposed 'issue' of the second or third drop of a weapon not being exciting, but instead shifts that around so that all drops that are not God-rolls are not exciting. And when you do get that God-roll, more drops of that weapon cease to be exciting again for the most part anyway.

4. Not be a 'solution' to the supposed lack of variety in weapons at the moment; it would simply add a shit-ton of non-viable / bad versions of existing weapons while limiting the true value of an item to how close it is to the God-roll. Variety can and should be increased by the addition of new uniquely named weapons to the game over time; new guns with their own new perk combos and their own identity.

There is no compelling reason to bring RNG perk rolls back. Instead of having 80% of the guns be bad, you'd just have 100% of the guns be bad 80% of the time.

If people are just craving for more grind, there are numerous ways to add end-game grind without making the core of the game less accessible / more frustrating to non-hardcore players. I'd argue that the problem with the end-game isn't the lack of grind but rather the lack of incentive to do certain activities (Strikes and Meditations) and the omnipresence of the Token system, but that gets into another discussion entirely.

I don't think people agree that random rolls are the answer here - Bungie has already created a better system - Mods - but the system isn't fleshed out, and we can't apply mods to weapons aside from Legendary Kinetc / Element.

My understanding is that people want to be able to have a system to apply something like armor mods to that of weapons - keep the weapons themselves static, but make it possible to grind for and chase mods for weapons as well so that eventually you could create what you consider a "god roll" and also creates a large variance of customization and trying / finding new awesome combinations, something that isn't entirely RNG based on with not only getting the gun to drop, but also getting it to drop with both of your ideal rolls. Sure it may lead to things being discovered like imbalanced weapons but that's part of the fun but also part of the reward - and the difference that they would provide in some cases won't make or break a gunfight if you aren't very skilled - you'd probably lose an engagement regardless of your loadout against a top tier player anyways.

Fjordson

I know people are saying Slayerage has played thousands of hours and he shouldn't complain that he doesn't have anything to do.

The thing is even if you haven't played as much as he has, Destiny 2 just like 1 has a shit end game. You were always chasing a number in 1 and it's no different here in 2. The difference is most of D2s loot is bland. You get all this loot and the game doesn't give you a reason to use them.

I remember in Destiny 1 when you spawn into the Cosmodrome at Light level 10, it took two melee hits to kill a vandal and it was still 2 melee hits at Light level 400. What the hell kind of power fantasy is that? There's no progression whatsoever. What's the difference between PL 280 and 305?

What makes it worse in D2 is the loot is just boring and uninspired. I don't want random rolls either but they over corrected way too much in the other direction and the mod system is just bad and also boring.
Agreed on all this.

Man I'm not even remotely close to his playtime and the endgame already feels dull.

I dunno the op references a dude that says he is at 200 hours. If I can get 200 hours out of this game it is worth the money.

Unless you want to create multiple characters it's entirely possible to feel all of the above on your character within ~50 hours. Not bad you may say – and that time will be fun – but it's definitely far less than 200.

gattsu

The ๖ۜBronx;251573717 said:
Unless you want to create multiple characters it's entirely possible to feel all of the above on your character within ~50 hours. Not bad you may say – and that time will be fun – but it's definitely far less than 200.

Yeah I "did everything" by almost hour 50. Any more I've played since then is just social time with friends. Which is great, I just miss the feeling of some type of long-term progression and reward.

I'm not a game designer but the 3 things I would want from this game is

1. Bungie needs to either rip out the RPG elements of the game and make a straight up well crafted campaign or expand the RPG elements substantially because what they have in there right now is not great.

2. PVP and PVE needs to be totally separate. Assault rifles shouldn't be useless for over a year in PVE because of PVP. That was the worst part of Destiny 1.

3. If you're going to hurt PVE because of PVP. There better be a damn good reason cause Crucible has even less options compared to 1. I don't care about Crucible but at least make it ranked.

I know all this is easier said than done but I hope Bungie takes some feedback from the critiques.

I just want record books back.

Destiny 1s Y2 and Y3 team need to work their magic all over Destiny 2 and it's gonna be great again. Gimme some of that strike specific loot.

Wow, the people who were shitting on lootboxes, saying they'd hurt the game's balance as well as the endgame content, were right... What a shock.

Strakt

Wow, the people who were shitting on lootboxes, saying they'd hurt the game's balance as well as the endgame content, were right... What a shock.

???

Comes into thread, doesn't even read the post, and posts about microtransactions that don't even impact gameplay.. What a shock

ViciousDS

Banned
yes, didn't like the re-roll system and was going to say fuck that HOWEVER

Reintroduce reforging alongside random perks such that you combine two weapons into one, choosing which perks from both you want and scrapping the rest, so god rolls are possible to work towards. Critically here, godrolls would become unique to the individual and feel like a progressive endeavor rather than a slot machine. Someone could log on and work on making their perfect Mannanan SR4. This system would make repeat drops of many kinds valuable, and players would finally have some customization that isn't purely cosmetic.

This.........isn't a bad idea

divergent-bad-movie-reviews-4.gif

I feel like the whole "god roll" chase applies to such a small portion of the population yet you are extrapolating that onto everyone that plays the game. Average Joe that played Destiny 1 and plays Destiny 2 probably couldn't care less about RNG rolls. There's probably a chance he doesn't even know they are in the game. Somebody that sinks hundreds of hours into the game would notice and potentially care about that, but I'm willing to bet most of the millions of people that buy the game skew towards Average Joe as opposed to the guy that drops 100s of hours into the game.

I don't think RNG rolls are the suggestion, but to say something like 100% of the guns are BAD 80% of the time is a total joke. Everything in Destiny 1 could be cleared using non-god rolled guns. For people that are not heavily invested into a game, non-optimal does not necessarily mean something is "bad."

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I basically mimicked this in my review and got destroyed in the comments lol. I guess I can relate to this top player.

killroy87

The fuck are you talking about lol

I know it's super in vogue to shit on lootboxes right now, but it also helps to read a little bit ;)

zeelman

Fixed rolls on guns is fine, but Bungie should have made way more guns to compensate. Same problem with the mod system. There’s a really small selection, and an even smaller selection for guns. I can change the element or add 5 points of light (which doesn’t count towards the light level of loot).

Agreed on all this.

Man I'm not even remotely close to his playtime and the endgame already feels dull.

Yeah cuz its clearly been designed to be "Finished" and retired from until new content hits

Despite them carrying the facade of an always active Semi-MMO

Its better than D1 since our first expansion is in December but it doesnt have that "thing" to grind for like D1

We are in this weird limbo with Destiny because we are trying to play the game the opposite of how it was designed

Guys

Take the hint. This isn't D1

CREMSteve

This is done simply so friends can play together, regardless of level. If you made it the way you want it, I couldn’t jump into a game with a friend just getting started. His game would become too easy because I could annihilate everything in our path, and as in any MMORPG I’ve ever played, his XP would suffer for it.

I like the way they’ve done it here. I can play with anyone, any time, on any activity.

MrDaravon

People are way too hung up on "people want RNG back what the fuck is wrong with you!?" when the issue is less that and more they need to give endgame folks SOMETHING to chase. D1 RNG is not it, but there needs to be something.

I hit the wall in about 120 hours in D2, the rough equivalent of this wall took me 500+ hours in D1. People keep acting like they can't add some sort of chase for hardcore players while keeping most of the casual aspects they have now; you can do both and everyone is happy. If I want to keep hopping on for ~5-6 hours a week to get the meaningful milestones done and then be done for the week and have that still keep me current that's great! But there's no reason that they can't also be catering to more hardcore folks with something to keep them playing if they want. I'm not upset, but I'm disappointed; I'd love to have a good reason to stick around and play more.

What the fuck are you talking about

Enjoying the game immensely right now. I like that it's accessible to people that don't have a lot of time to play. I understand it's a beat and move on.

However, there's not much of a end game. Destiny 2 should have built off 1, but it got stripped and going to start all over, will probably be way better in year 2. But we shouldn't of had to wait till year 2 for a richer experience, Destiny 1 built that over three years.

This is done simply so friends can play together, regardless of level. If you made it the way you want it, I couldn’t jump into a game with a friend just getting started. His game would become too easy because I could annihilate everything in our path, and as in any MMORPG I’ve ever played, his XP would suffer for it.

I like the way they’ve done it here. I can play with anyone, any time, on any activity.

That's a good point but last I checked there are games out there that balance activities for co op? Or is there not? I remember Gears 3 having something like this.

It just feels weird in a game that's about you wielding space magic, your power at LL 200 is really no different at 300.

That's a good point but last I checked there are games out there that balance activities for co op? Or is there not? I remember Gears 3 having something like this.

It just feels weird in a game that's about you wielding space magic, your power at LL 200 is really no different at 300.

This is one of my biggest issues. Why not just remove the system entirely if there's really not a point to it?

I basically never felt any stronger as I was progressing through the game. My light level was higher, but it still felt samey. If the power curve feels flat to me, I don't see a reason for it existing.

void666

Banned
Yeah, honeymoon is over. Bungie had the formula perfected by the end of year 3. Now we're back to square one. It's D1 all over again. Now to wait in hopes that DLCs will fix the game.

Kaiken

Banned
I don't feel like I'm being properly rewarded when playing this game. Raid drops aren't unique enough and I just look forward to the easy Milestones now. This will be the last Destiny game I play unless they really pull through with DLC.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Everything in vanilla Destiny was memorable... everybody remembers its guns, gears, places, raid bosses, etc.

What do you remember after that? Maybe Black Hammer in Crota and nothing else.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I played Destiny since it came out and only started to really enjoy it with House of Wolves. Most of my favorite armor sets and moments came AFTER vanilla.

How is Oryx not a "memorable" raid boss? The hidden Taken King quests. The game finally having a good campaign?

If you think only vanilla Destiny had good armor "places" I dunno what to tell you. That's crazy.

TsuWave

Re-introducing RNG perks as they were in Destiny 1

that's really not what Slayerage (person's who's post is in the OP) said. His solution is actually quite decent too.

if you replace random rolls for fixed rolls then you have to ensure your loot pool is substantially bigger than it was when it had random rolls. Destiny 2 didn't do this and that's the problem. The loot pool has not grown exponentially and the rolls/loot available is all quite pedestrian.

Its like no one gets the crucial decision they made to divert this game in contrast to end of life D1

Maybe it truly was a mistake

I would have preferred a Hybrid approach instead of a full scrap job they did here

D2 isn't bad but its not a progressively replayable persistent game anymore

Its more... complete what we make, move on, come back when new stuff comes out (at a faster pace than D1)

I have no idea what you're talking about. I played Destiny since it came out and only started to really enjoy it with House of Wolves. Most of my favorite armor sets and moments came AFTER vanilla.

How is Oryx not a "memorable" raid boss? The hidden Taken King quests. The game finally having a good campaign?

If you think only vanilla Destiny had good armor "places" I dunno what to tell you. That's crazy.

I'll take it a step further and say for me most of the stuff in Destiny is forgettable. Granted, I come from raiding in other MMOs, but he wasn't crazy impressive or anything to me. I did find that boss in TTK's strike that takes place in the dark pretty neat though.

The only thing I remember in terms of Destiny 1 armor(throughout all expansions) is the VoG armor sets. I really liked those. I guess I remember a few exotics, but most of the other stuff is lost on me, and I actually enjoyed playing Destiny 1.

What a franchise, both the first game and the second game turns out to be extremely disappointing.

It's just depressing to see how Destiny 1 turns out compare to the original concept, it was suppose to be this massive, deep, colorful open world filled with amazing design and interesting lore, but in the end we got none of that.

Destiny 1 was disappointing compare to the original concept of Destiny, and Destiny 2 was disappointing compare to Destiny 1.....

What a fucking franchise man.

I also enjoy the endgame set up. I like that I don’t feel chained to D2 in order to build up my character but it also keeps bringing me back weekly because the game is so fun and feels like you can actually make good progress in bursts as opposed to the often discouraging structure of D1.

I concur!

geordiemp

I think players who work full time just cant put the time in to deal with RNG loot. D2 is fine.

D1 required you to play Destiny as a job, and to get good stuff you needed to be free to play numerous hours every day and all weekend. That to me is unhealthy.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm pretty casual and didn't play D1. I've probably put in around 35 hours on one character, all of it solo with the exception of public events and two strikes using matchmaking; I think I'm at 248 power level. I finished the campaign a while back and have just been working on clearing all of the adventures, quests, and such, which I'm doing solely because I find the game really fun to play; I still feel like there is a ton of content that I haven't even touched yet. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I had raced to reach 280 by the weekend after launch, but I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth.

Top Bottom