• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC UNITY patch worsens NPC pop-in. Ubisoft actually puts in new spawning animation.

Ahasverus

My first reaction is "Ubi gunna Ubi" but it makes me think that whatever problem was causing the low frames in crowded areas was so deeply rooted in the engine a patch would never fix it. This was their quick fix for it, and its not a terrible fix.
Yeah. I don't think it's terrible, at this point I think it's funny. I'm glad the game is playable now, but this has been a great carnival of stupid.

I laughed out loud reading this. Ubisoft is the most unintentionally hilarious company I've ever seen.

It's like they're trying to parody themselves at this point.

I think ACU has been shit on enough by now.. the patch got performance to acceptable level so im just going to go ahead and enjoy the game.

Are you not even watching those gifs? It is so ridiculous. Running through the street and people just pop right up in front of you slowing you down? It breaks any type of immersion the game was "selling" with its 1000NPCS and rebuilt Paris. I mean, the 1000NPCs was a feature to make the city feel like a living breathing city. To make it feel like a real place or what it might have been like.

Now, they totally break whatever they were trying to accomplish by allowing these people to just pop up out of nowhere. Its awesome that you are going to go ahead and enjoy this game. I am not going to argue with you over that. But to say the game has been shit on enough, and we shouldn't complain about these is pretty sad. This has nothing to do with an apparant improved framerate, I hope that is improved. This pop in seems to have gotten worse.

You can enjoy the game, I will never touch it, ever. I am not going to support this shit.

majik13

Well, reading everything, it seems like Patch 4 is still ultimately a step forward, but there is more work to do.

they said this is the last patch.... :(

anyways, so I suppose now they will say all glitches and bugs are intentional, as it is part of the in game story of a buggy Animus. Maybe the Animus is being hacked by Aiden Pierce?

Falk

that puzzling face
polished turd

463px-Facepalm.png

Thanks.

Doesn't make sense to me to make the pop in worse. It was bad before but it least it was understandable and not too distracting. But having NPCs pop in two feet in front of you? Come on, Ubi. Unity is great, stop giving people less of a reason to play it.

Is this a widespread thing after the patch or is just a one-off as of now?

Vire

And yet they continue to say that the NPC count has little effect on the framerate.

Shit is embarrassing, two steps forward, two steps back.

I don't really mind if it can actually improve the performance.
It's kinda cool, and I've actually seen this on previous games.

It did, and it also did that in this game as well before the patch. However most people who didn't play the game wouldn't know that. >.>

Whether it's new or not is besides the point, really. Maybe Ubisoft should do their jobs properly and maybe then they wouldn't need to give their bugs cool little animations/effects in an attempt to distract people from the fact that their games are unfinished.

majik13

Then I guess the question is, does the game feel finished? Or still undercooked?

I wouldnt know, havent played it. Though I was hoping to at some point.

It did, and it also did that in this game as well before the patch. However most people who didn't play the game wouldn't know that. >.>

I have only watched videos, but I have never noticed the effect. its not even in the webm in the OP. Or does it only do it when they are super close?

mclem

You can see when the npc's pop-in in that gif, how ubi programmed some little visual effect as they materialize, like they anticipated the pop in, and tried to make it look cool.
It's almost as if they expected this to happen. In fact, it's almost as if the game was still incomplete. Who knew?

I've worked on a game that explored pop-in as a means to alleviate framerate issues. When I did it, it absolutely wasn't "a sign of incompleteness" that I "covered up with graphical effects" - it was a fully-intentional optimisation and a sacrifice that I felt was necessary to make the game run adequately.

In other words, I don't think this is viewed by the developer as something incomplete - I think this is viewed as a necessary and effective sacrifice to achieve framerate goals. Now, of course, whether it is an effective and acceptable sacrifice is ultimately up to the user; but I think it's as far as they feel they can realistically optimise what they currently have.

Edit: Wait. I'm talking about popping in visually. Now I look closer at the animation, it seems that it's more that they're spawning in?

UglyPony

Wow that looks so distracting. Normally i'm pretty lax with pop ins and they dont bother me to much but this takes the cake.

Vire

What I don't understand is how do those three extra NPCs that warp in make the scene better in any way? Watch the gif and tell me there are too few NPC's on screen prior to the pop in... Like what the fuck? All this does is detract from the experience.

To be honest I actually kinda like the little animation, though it obviously doesn't make up for the horrible pop in.

If the pop in was within an acceptable level and still had the animation, it could've been kinda interesting.

~Kinggi~

Banned
god damn that must take some raw computational horsepower to warp in those npcs instantaneously like that they are so detailed and shit

Did they make the pop in worse specifically for the animus glitch to work or was it always as terrible as it look in the 2nd gif? They're less than foot away from him.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wouldnt know, havent played it. Though I was hoping to at some point.

I have only watched videos, but I have never noticed the effect. its not even in the webm in the OP. Or does it only do it when they are super close?
I remember it happening when new sequences would load or at least something very similar as the environments were loading. I've never seen them pop in that literally a as i'm running through the town however. I posted this earlier today in new threads.
http://a.pomf.se/zzhzgx.mp4

What I don't understand is how do those three extra NPCs that warp in make the scene better in any way? Watch the gif and tell me there are too few NPC's on screen prior to the pop in... Like what the fuck? All this does is detract from the experience.

This.

From the videos I've seen of this game, the world they've created looks beautiful and looks like the kind of world I would get super immersed in, but all of that is potentially ruined for me when I see just how buggy it is. NPC's popping in like in that GIF would be a huge immersion-breaker for me. Such a shame.

Sojgat

They added in an effect to make it look like an Animus glitch? Ahahahahahahaha

LOL, the game's terrible performance is all part of the fiction.

I would love to meet the person who came up with this idea. You know they probably just said it as a joke.

Pop-in is a feature.

20-25 fps cinematic framerate is a feature.

Shitty gameplay is a feature that makes you feel closer to nature, you can almost smell the great outdoors.

Ubisoft has hit the JACKPOT.

Amir0x

Banned
This shit is hilarious. It's remarkably clever if it wasn't also so sad lol

Ubisoft just admit you guys tried to make a game fit on platforms that couldn't do it and instead of appropriately toning down your "vision" - whatever loose tangle of objectives can be classified as a vision in your milked out world - you guys keep trying to find alternative routes to getting the game not to run like complete watery shit.

So instead of just these NPCs just appearing, they appear by way of teleportation!

AC: Unity is now Sci Fi....purchase redeemed!

No, I didn't buy it

Bebpo

Banned
Holy fuck! I played it on PC, so I expected pop in to be like the usual pop in in the distance, which is normal part of gaming.

But then that OP GIF of people just materializing right in front of you, wowowwowwowow, that is not acceptable in gaming.

Pop-in is a feature.

20-25 fps cinematic framerate is a feature.

Shitty gameplay is a feature that makes you feel closer to nature, you can almost smell the great outdoors.

Ubisoft has hit the JACKPOT.

Leaving out features can also be seen as anti-piracy measures rather than just being missing features as well.

Top Bottom