• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC UNITY patch worsens NPC pop-in. Ubisoft actually puts in new spawning animation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't see an animation in that .webm, just horrible pop-in.

bootymac

Neo Member
Was it common for the NPCs to pop-in so close to the player character like that? I was going to borrow this game from a friend, but if that's going to happen often, I'm not even going to bother.

I don't recall NPCs popping in anywhere near the player. I'm wondering if Ubi added artificial pop in to sell the "animus glitch" feature

majik13

I remember it happening when new sequences would load or at least something very similar as the environments were loading. I've never seen them pop in that literally a as i'm running through the town however. I posted this earlier today in new threads.
http://a.pomf.se/zzhzgx.mp4

yeah watched this earlier today, noticeable pop in here or there, but not nearly as bad as the gif and webm in the OP. This video makes it look perfectly playable.

Sawneeks

Banned
Waiting for that webm to load I thought it was going to be around Assasin's Creed Liberation for the Vita type of pop in. Seeing that it is actually worse than the Vita pop in is completely disgusting by Ubi.

TheSeks

The pop-in is animated to look like an animus glitch....

...That's what I'm not seeing? It looks like bog-standard Sandbox pop-in, AKA: Horrible. But nothing that's "animated like the animus" to me.

I watched it five times. I only notice a "animus"-like "dropping civilians in quickly" pop-in on two of the... like... 50 popped in civilians. The others look like they just suddenly pop-in, no animation running.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Leaving out features can also be seen as anti-piracy measures rather than just being missing features as well.
You're referring to FC4 right? How wasn't that a legitimate anti-piracy measure exactly? What's the point of bringing that up when it was known that installing the day 1 patch on pc after buying the game?

yeah watched this earlier today, noticeable pop in here or there, but not nearly as bad as the gif and webm in the OP. This video makes it look perfectly playable.
It's the typical gameplay experience for me after the patch.

Ahasverus

I swear this was in there before.
I think it was like that in the "loading" first moments of sequences, that's how it has always been in the AC games, now it happens in actual gameplay. And if it was like that before, well, it's hilarous too, and the aptch just made it more noticeable :p
You're referring to FC4 right? How wasn't that a legitimate anti-piracy measure exactly? What's the point of bringing that up when it was known that installing the day 1 patch on pc after buying the game?
Haven't you sold enough copies already, Yves? You have our money, you can stop the damage control now.

WinterX

Banned
Ubi, from now on 2 AC games per year. Two times more bugs, two times more fun for us.

P.S: French broke the game about France... funny, isn't it?

fernoca

I remember it happening when new sequences would load or at least something very similar as the environments were loading. I've never seen them pop in that literally a as i'm running through the town however. I posted this earlier today in new threads.
http://a.pomf.se/zzhzgx.mp4
This has been my experience after the patch too.

Then again, I've been called a blind loyalist that loves to take it from Ubisoft, so...what do I know.

At least your clip saved me from uploading mine with my awesome 300kb upload speed. XD

I know they're just doing it to cover up their incompetence...but that's a pretty creative solution.

I actually mind it less now.

...That's what I'm not seeing? It looks like bog-standard Sandbox pop-in, EG: Horrible. But Nothing that's "animated like the animus" to me.

I watched it five times. I only notice a "animus"-like "dropping civilians in quickly" pop-in on two of the... like... 50 popped in civilians. The others look like they just suddenly pop-in, no animation running.

The close ones show up black with a bit of shimmer before the detailed model comes in. Thats not how pop-in usually looks.

The distant ones are just popping in like traditional pop in does.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What I don't understand is how do those three extra NPCs that warp in make the scene better in any way? Watch the gif and tell me there are too few NPC's on screen prior to the pop in... Like what the fuck? All this does is detract from the experience.

There are that many characters on screen because of the pop in. Look at the start of the video beyond the fairly dense crowd immediately surrounding Arno, and there's like 0 people there. If Arno moved forward from that crowd without pop-in it would be extremely sparse.

...That's what I'm not seeing? It looks like bog-standard Sandbox pop-in, AKA: Horrible. But nothing that's "animated like the animus" to me.

My bad, I didn't notice that you said webm.

*Is running*
*hits an unloaded npc, who finally pops in as i get 2 feet away*

yeah that wont be annoying, not at all!
Whats hilarious is that if they never loaded at all the player wouldn't miss them. Pop them in in the distance, sure, but I find it hard to believe they can't make it so some NPCs are skipped if they are going to load too close to the player.

Ahasverus

Whats hilarious is that if they never loaded at all the player wouldn't miss them. Pop them in in the distance, sure, but I find it hard to believe they can't make it so some NPCs are skipped if they are going to load too close to the player.
It's probably hard programmed into the engine. That seems to be the problem here, they were really going for the "100000000 npcs" as a bullet point since the start.
Oh don't start with that.
It's hard not to. I've seen apologists, but then there's him. I respect him and everything, such devotion is not going to be unnoticed.

TheSeks

The close ones show up black with a bit of shimmer before the detailed model comes in. Thats not how pop-in usually looks.

The distant ones are just popping in like traditional pop in does.

I don't see it, honestly. I gotta be blind if it's in that .webm, because the thing that sticks out like a sore-thumb is the bog-standard pop-in at the distance. I can look directly left and right of Arno but the only thing I see is a "pop-in" of higher-texture detail(?).

Logash

I haven't seen anything worse about the new patch and I have been playing it for like 2 hours getting chest and doing the side missions. The way i see it there are 3 reasons why that could be; One, I am just lucky and haven't run into them, Two, the animation is making it more obvious and the pop in is just as bad as it always was, and last, people love to hate on this game.

Javin98

Banned
Pop-in is a feature.

20-25 fps cinematic framerate is a feature.

Shitty gameplay is a feature that makes you feel closer to nature, you can almost smell the great outdoors.

Ubisoft has hit the JACKPOT.
Ok,I laughed harder than I should have. BTW, it's no longer pop in, it's now warp in! XD

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are they seriously still saying that lessening the amount of NPCs won't fix the framerate even a little bit?

I'm not sure it would. The size of the crowd certainly doesn't seem to affect the frame rate on the PC version.

This shit is hilarious. It's remarkably clever if it wasn't also so sad lol

Ubisoft just admit you guys tried to make a game fit on platforms that couldn't do it and instead of appropriately toning down your "vision" - whatever loose tangle of objectives can be classified as a vision in your milked out world - you guys keep trying to find alternative routes to getting the game not to run like complete watery shit.

There will be more ambitious, better looking games released this gen if not within the next year. This is a case of too many people working on the game to the point where no one knows what the fuck is going on, look at the bug fixing list that's not a sign of a competent development cycle.

It's probably hard programmed into the engine. That seems to be the problem here, they were really going for the "100000000 npcs" as a bullet point since the start.
Yeah, their engine though. Its not like they need to collaborate with Epic on a fix for Unreal.

TalonJH

Has there ever been a fix for something that was more of a band-aid then this. Its almost comical. I wonder if they could just drop the population by 10% or something. As long as it runs a little better I'm going to jump back in.

Con_Smith

Banned
I think ACU has been shit on enough by now.. the patch got performance to acceptable level so im just going to go ahead and enjoy the game.

nothing wrong with enjoying the game but pointing out the absurdity of this isn't as problematic as letting the bs slide in the name of fun.

I'm not sure it would. The size of the crowd certainly doesn't seem to affect the frame rate on the PC version.
If there is more pop in now than before than it is obviously related to this stability update. Instead of thinning crowds though, they just don't load crowds that are beyond a certain distance from the player. The result is the same - less NPCs on screen.

It is probably an easier fix for them even if it hurts the presentation more than thinning crowds near the player would...

If they pop in is a glitch in the animus I'm assuming guards and stuff won't myseriously pop in. But if it were a glitch wouldn't they? Thus making the animus useless since targets could be glitches?

Celestia

*Is running*
*hits an unloaded npc, who finally pops in as i get 2 feet away*

yeah that wont be annoying, not at all!

Maybe Ubisoft is doing this to improve our reaction times. Maybe they're training us in the secret underground war against the Templars.

Teletraan1

Banned
The game wouldn't be so bad if it just had the useless NPC count of the previous games +25%. They went way overboard for no real benefit. The way the crowd pops is so distracting. Way more distracting than "There aren't enough people crowded on these streets OMG immersion broken."

benzy

jrzdvo.gif

jhbjap.gif

Top Bottom