• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Not worried players will play MW: Remastered more than Infinite Warfare

The_Dama

They are worried for the future of CoD. People clearly want to play a slower and more old-school CoD. I wouldn't be surprised if the next CoD is set in modern times.

We thought it would be a perfect opportunity to celebrate Call of Duty and the community, where we’re going and where we’ve been and bring it together in one package. From an overall offering, an overall value proposition, I think what we’re giving to the community this year is frankly unprecedented in Call of Duty history”
And what better way to celebrate CoD and the community than to package a remaster of a soon-to-be nine-year-old game with only 10 maps that is download only in a $80 edition of a game some people don't want but will buy anyway because it is the only way to get said game they do want instead of a separate release.

We all know what you're doing, Activision, stop being cheeky. I really don't know why they didn't just wait until next year and release a grand 10 Year Anniversary Remastered Edition complete with all the maps and some bonuses.

I-hate-u

They are worried for the future of CoD. People clearly want to play a slower and more old-school CoD. I wouldn't be surprised if the next CoD is set in modern times.

Wouldn't be surprised if they end up going back further to WW2 games for a bit.

Am I the only one who feels bad for IW? Yeah, go ahead, use the wipetearswithmoney.gif, but their 3 year in development game will be completely overlooked by a remaster of their own game that came out pretty much a decade ago.

This should have been IW's bounce back game after MW3 and Ghosts.

I see where you're coming from - but why not take on board what was so successful in COD 4 (amazing single player campaign plus the peerless MP and maps) and build on it ? - instead of pandering to the pre-pubescent crowd and turning COD into a tribe-esque twitch shooter that it is now - At 45 years old - and an absolute fan of MW 1 - 2 and BO 1 and 2 it pains me to see what this franchise has become - fuck me - even Ghosts i used to play on PS4 and enjoyed most of it because it was "boots on the ground" and no fucking idiotic jet pac / wall running shite - i give up - i'd LOVE to buy a COD 4 remaster, but not like this, not behind a pay wall of a game i really don't want.

theecakee

There is a huge audience of people who play COD outside of hardcore gamers. Some that never played MW1 and have no nostalgia for it.

If your sample size is just people on GAF, then yeah of course most are only interested in MW1 remaster. Most people on GAF haven't been into COD for years.

Boke1879

I don't see how they are worried when this series continues to sell a shit ton and make a lot of money through DLC etc.

Bolivar687

Banned
I really don't know why they didn't just wait until next year and release a grand 10 Year Anniversary Remastered Edition complete with all the maps and some bonuses.

They're rushing it out the door early in an unfinished state because the focus group results are in and nobody wants to play Call of Starship Troopers.

El_Chino

Yup, guilty as charged.
Even worse, I'd pay even more if I had to. One of those cases where the value far far far exceeds the price for me personally. I'll happily dish out another $80 come Infinite Warfare 2 + Modern Warfare 2 remaster.
And I'll have no problem buying the other maps when they release them as DLC.
We'll probably would get a MW2 remaster considering the next IW game would come out in 2019 and that'll be 10 years after MW2.

Kalentan

I see where you're coming from - but why not take on board what was so successful in COD 4 (amazing single player campaign plus the peerless MP and maps) and build on it ? - instead of pandering to the pre-pubescent crowd and turning COD into a tribe-esque twitch shooter that it is now - At 45 years old - and an absolute fan of MW 1 - 2 and BO 1 and 2 it pains me to see what this franchise has become - fuck me - even Ghosts i used to play on PS4 and enjoyed most of it because it was "boots on the ground" and no fucking idiotic jet pac / wall running shite - i give up - i'd LOVE to buy a COD 4 remaster, but not like this, not behind a pay wall of a game i really don't want.

Yeah. They should totally go back to making the games all the same again! Why try new stuff! New stuff is for children! Us older people want to just soak in the same old muck over and over again, until the end of time!

Why change! There should be no change!

SURGEdude

I'm literally going to pick up my pre-order, tear off the shrinkwrap, pop open the case, remove the download code insert, and hand the case back to them to trade it in.

Same. Unless by some miracle the new game gets universal praise from the few reviewers I trust.

activision have cod fans by the balls. why the hell would they care if they play mw more than iw? they still have to buy the game to play it. then in the next release they will remaster mw2 and the fans will buy it again.

Yeah. They should totally go back to making the games all the same again! Why try new stuff! New stuff is for children! Us older people want to just soak in the same old muck over and over again, until the end of time!

Why change! There should be no change!

New stuff , when it is far shitter than old stuff isnt better

is it ?

El_Chino

Are they really? They are still making money.
Greed
bobby-kotick-activision-money-pile.jpg

lazypants

I wonder if MWR will be a download or accessed through infinite warfare or something. If it's a download hopefully I can just buy infinite to get MWR and just sell back the game.

I-hate-u

Unfortunately, this game was greenlit when games like TitanFall, AW and Destiny dominated the market talk. Everyone is trying to one-up each other in terms of craziness of maneuverability and what not.

Believe me though, there will be a relapse in these sci-fi shooters, and it's evident by Activision even opting out to release their safe winner aka MW1 on current systems in the first place. We will go back soon to the boots on the ground games.

Unfortunately, this game was greenlit when games like TitanFall, AW and Destiny dominated the market talk. Everyone is trying to one-up each other in terms of craziness of maneuverability and what not.

Believe me though, there will be a relapse in these sci-fi shooters, and it's evident by Activision even opting out to release their safe winner aka MW1 on current systems in the first place. We will go back soon to the boots on the ground games.

agreed - fair point

Kalentan

New stuff , when it is far shitter than old stuff isnt better

is it ?

Is it? Is it really? No, it's actually been refreshing seeing the series try new and exciting things, rather than staying the same. AW was a bit of a fumble, but Black Ops 3 more refined wall running, actually complement the game without becoming too bouncy like AW became. Hell, your still "On the ground" for most of Black Ops 3.

Well I'm not buying IW and I want the remaster, but its gonna be $100CDN.

So selling it separately won't lose sales, selling it together has.

Bolivar687

Banned
Is it? Is it really? No, it's actually been refreshing seeing the series try new and exciting things, rather than staying the same. AW was a bit of a fumble, but Black Ops 3 more refined wall running, actually complement the game without becoming too bouncy like AW became. Hell, your still "On the ground" for most of Black Ops 3.

Black Ops 3 is far and away the worst online shooter I've ever played.

Matticers

I'm literally going to pick up my pre-order, tear off the shrinkwrap, pop open the case, remove the download code insert, and hand the case back to them to trade it in.

And then you get home and realize they trolled everyone doing that because you need the game disc to play it.

:(

Catvoca

Banned
I like that everyone here seems to have decided Infinite warfare is bad game already. So many comments about how the space stuff is bad and they don't want to play it when the game isn't even out yet, it's ridiculous.

Also, people pining for a return to boots on the ground COD games should take a look at Ghosts. That's what happened when the series didn't make any strides forward and it was justifiably criticised.

Gaz_RB

It's true. CoD4 was popular, back in 2007-09. Tens of millions got their fill on the multiplayer and campaign. This is a love letter to old fans.

Everyone else? They want the new CoD. The one with space combat and zombies and new killstreaks and new ways to kick ass.

Pretty much. People are overestimating that COD4 effect on players who never played it, which is the majority of COD players now.

Black Ops 3 is far and away the worst online shooter I've ever played.

You should probably expand your horizons then.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I like that everyone here seems to have decided Infinite warfare is bad game already. So many comments about how the space stuff is bad and they don't want to play it when the game isn't even out yet, it's ridiculous.
Many of us are just tired of the futuristic style. It would have to be exceptional for me to be hyped about it pre-release, and given the that the story/storytelling of every Call of Duty after Modern Warfare 3 was below average for me (BO3 was downright unplayable), that's a clear pattern. So Infinite Warfare doesn't even have the odds going for it.

Of course they're not. Why would they worry when people have to pay 80 bucks just to play it? Even if MW:R does get played more Activision still wins.

RoKKeR

I mean, at the end of the day it's money in their pockets. I doubt MWR will have more players per se, but it will certainly take players away.

Acorn

I just wish publishers would stop all following one era at the same time. Ideally we'd have a mix of eras.

Gurish

Of course not. Because you're still tied to Infinite Warfare to do so. Why would they give a fuck which game you play if you're buying the one they want you to buy?

Jerks.

COD:IW won't have any DLCs, skins etc? If it will than of course they have an interest your main play time will go toward IW.

Kalentan

Many of us are just tired of the futuristic style. It would have to be exceptional for me to be hyped about it pre-release, and given the that the story/storytelling of every Call of Duty after Modern Warfare 3 was below average for me (BO3 was downright unplayable), that's a clear pattern. So Infinite Warfare doesn't even have the odds going for it.

Black Ops 3 is downright unplayable?

Okay, yeah. I can't take the MW:R warriors seriously anymore. I just can't. Holy shit the hyperbole is so real right now.

Like, I get it, the story wasn't good and the level design was sub-par, but between you calling it unplayable and another saying that it's the worst MP they've ever played... I just can't. This is getting insane.

It's amazing that we're at a point where a "modern" fps will actually feel refreshing compared to the futuristic stuff. At least for me anyway.

And I'm one of those willing to shell out $80 :p. Though I'll remain cautiously optimistic about the new one too.

Bolivar687

Banned
Also, people pining for a return to boots on the ground COD games should take a look at Ghosts. That's what happened when the series didn't make any strides forward and it was justifiably criticised.

I actually did try Ghosts during the Black Ops 3 beta and already being deep into AW. It felt very refreshing to play a more methodical game where you have to migrate with your team around different parts of a map, using situational awareness to survive.

I think it failed because they were developing a game on six platforms across two and a half generations of hardware. They didn't have enough time to polish the visuals or game design, leading to an unappealing presentation and rough gameplay.

It still shipped with more content than Black Ops 3.

Okay, yeah. I can't take the MW:R warriors seriously anymore. I just can't. Holy shit the hyperbole is so real right now.

Like, I get it, the story wasn't good and the level design was sub-par, but between you calling it unplayable and another saying that it's the worst MP they've ever played... I just can't. This is getting insane.

OK, you like BOS III - we get it.. Now chill

El_Chino

It literally has the worst CoD campaign. That's just my opinion though.

Kalentan

OK, you like BOS III - we get it.. Now chill

Why? Why did you need to go do that? Is it me liking the games suddenly an issue? If I were in this thread, bitching about the games and joining in with all of you. No one would bat an eye, yet as soon as I object and say I like the game, suddenly I'm the bad guy?

I'm sorry... But it's honestly becoming that, every thread, outside one, has become an echo chamber of vitrol.

It literally has the worst CoD campaign. That's just my opinion though.

I'd honestly put it quite low myself if I had to list the series out. The campaign was a disappointment coming off of AW and Black Ops 2.

Top Bottom