• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

So... Season 6.

Y'know, titles and synopsis for Season 6 episodes were accidentally leaked by CN's own website back in December. There's an old 4chan thread archived on foolz with the the relevant info. Don't click the link or highlight the text if you don't want to be spoiled:

http://archive.foolz.us/co/thread/56688040/

Food Chain: On a field trip to the Candy Kingdom Museum of Natural History, Finn and Jake learn about the Food chain by becoming the food chain!

Wake Up: In order to find Finn's father, Finn and Jame must commit a cosmic crime...unless the Lich beats them to it.

Escape from the Citadel: Finn and Jake follow the Lich of the Citadel, where Finn meets his long lost dad. But just how far does the apple fall from the tree?

James II: Finn and Jake discover that Clone James has been faking his own death to collect medals. But there are 25 Jameses funning amok!

The Tower: Finn doesn't like any of the new arms the princesses give him, so he builds a tower into space to find his dad and get his old arm back.

Sad Face: Once a month, while Jake's asleep, his tail stretches out of the treehouse to go work as a clown in a traveling bug circus.

Princess Day: It's Princess Day in Ooo! You know what that means? Yep, LSP and Marceline team up to prank Breakfast Princess!

Breezy: With a friendly bee named "Breezy" as his wingman, Finn decides to get back into the dating game.

It is, indeed, happening. Guess we'll find out for sure in April.

RagnarokX

So... Season 6.

Y'know, titles and synopsis for Season 6 episodes were accidentally leaked by CN's own website back in December. There's an old 4chan thread archived on foolz with the the relevant info. Don't click the link or highlight the text if you don't want to be spoiled:

That first one sounds like an episode of Magic Schoolbus.

daveo42

Banned
Again I say, patience. Season 6 starts in less than a month. :)

I just want another Susan Strong episode. The last one was near the middle of season 3. It's going to happen, it's just been a long time, man.

So... Season 6.

Damn...that list seems pretty epic. Like really epic. Will this be the last season or will they air it out for two more? I've always felt like the end of Finn's story would be when he'd hit 18, which is fast approaching.

Axass

I just saw my first episode of this show over the weekend (by chance). What a heartwarming, melancholy, funny, fascinating piece of entertainment. I really liked it!
You're in for a wild ride. Watch everything from the beginning, it's worth it.

I just want another Susan Strong episode. The last one was near the middle of season 3. It's going to happen, it's just been a long time, man.

Damn...that list seems pretty epic. Like really epic. Will this be the last season or will they air it out for two more? I've always felt like the end of Finn's story would be when he'd hit 18, which is fast approaching.

Wait, when was the last time we even heard anything about his age?

huxley00

I feel like I have to now. Where is the best place to catch the show? Do any streaming mediums carry it or must I purchase? Its just so well done, I was really surprised. Its really weird...but in all the best ways! I saw the episode with the bubble pop machine knight who banished himself to the junkyard.

daveo42

Banned

According to the Wiki, the last time it's been discussed was in Earth & Water as he's the same age as Flame Princess and she is currently 15. The last confirmation before that was at the end of Season 3, where it was stated he was 14. I'm guessing we'll be seeing either another birthday episode in season 6 or some sort of other confirmation that he is now 16.

Based on recent events I did think he was older, but no real confirmation on his current age. It is worth noting they are starting to clear up some of the mysteries and stories that have been floating around Ooo since season one. They could be gearing up to finish the series in the next 1-2 seasons.

So... Season 6.

Whoa. This show is on some next-level sauce, boss.

Crocodile

The final reveal seemed "weird" or "tacked on" for a lack of a better word since Billy, or rather the spirit of Billy, shouldn't have an easy venue to communicate with Finn. Maybe like if Billy had left Finn a journal with the revelation contained within it wouldn't have hurt my suspension of disbelief as much?

Regardless, the actual revelation is pretty heavy. SO MANY QUESTIONS I wanted answered and I'm looking forward to how things play out. I can't believe the next season starts so soon :)

Crispy75

I feel like I have to now. Where is the best place to catch the show? Do any streaming mediums carry it or must I purchase? Its just so well done, I was really surprised. Its really weird...but in all the best ways! I saw the episode with the bubble pop machine knight who banished himself to the junkyard.

The first three seasons are available as box sets. Seasons 4 and 5 are part availlable on compilation discs. http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/DVD_Releases

Netflix has the first season and they'll add season 2 on the 30th of March.

A complete collection of seasons 4 and 5 can only be achieved with a PVR catching repeats on Cartoon Network, or by breaking the law (AFAIK).

I wouldn't worry too much about being completist about it. While there are occasional run-on stories or two-parters, the show doesn't really have any grand story arcs. Try and watch things in order, but don't get upset if you miss eps out.

blamite

I just saw the new episode. Damn, that was good, although the reveal at the end lost most of it's impact since I remembered reading that storyboard from last season. Still cool though!

Also I wish I hadn't read the leaked episode thing posted above, for the same reason ;_;

NEO0MJ

In the episode where the Lich got free Finn was meditating and saw his older self as having a mechanical arm:
sg6XZWn.png

Seeing this I can't help but think of Susan Strong.

Odoul

Those last few seconds open so many possibilities.

The creator has already said Finn is the only human so obviously his dad is going to have some fucked up twist about him.

Even so...

-What if his dad is an antiheroic gump?

-What if his dad is a complete letdown?

-What if he sees Finn as a letdown?

-What if his dad is evil/a villain?

Because the posted synopses are kinda leaning towards the latter. Or at least if not evil then a jerk. Since it seems his dad is involved in him being disarmed.

The creator has already said Finn is the only human so obviously his dad is going to have some fucked up twist about him.

Even so...

Because the posted synopses are kinda leaning towards the latter. Or at least if not evil then a jerk. Since it seems his dad is involved in him being disarmed.

Finn's dad isn't on Ooo so Finn is still the last human.

Popnbake

So... Season 6.

From The Tower synopsis, Finn loosing an arm doesn't seem to be much of a big event and it will be back to business as usual.
Hope it's true because that dude needs as much of a break as he can get.

PB has no romantic interest in him and he got his ex stolen by a giant cinnamon bun. :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh wow, that one scene reminded me a shitload of Skyward Sword.

I hope
Billy's ex takes him under her wing and trains him to become super awesome. Also why do I get the feels that he'll fight CB as his final test to become the realest hero???

God I love this show.

daveo42

Banned

I hope
Billy's ex takes him under her wing and trains him to become super awesome. Also why do I get the feels that he'll fight CB as his final test to become the realest hero???

God I love this show.

The next logical progression is that Finn would end up dating Canyon, as she appears to be some sort of water elemental. PB is completely out of the question now (until he's 18 at least matures some) and so is Flame Princess. Training would be a decent vehicle for that to blossom here.

NEO0MJ

Even so...

According to the storyboard that had a missing scene for the final episode of season 4 Billy told Fin that his father was wrongly incarcerated in the citadel and that he's actually a hero. Of course that was the Lich talking so he might have been lying.

The next logical progression is that Finn would end up dating Canyon, as she appears to be some sort of water elemental. PB is completely out of the question now (until he's 18 at least matures some) and so is Flame Princess. Training would be a decent vehicle for that to blossom here.
Isn't Canyon also way out of Fin's age group? And unlike PB I don't think she likes to consider herself younger than she is.

daveo42

Banned
Isn't Canyon also way out of Fin's age group? And unlike PB I don't think she likes to consider herself younger than she is.

I may have read way too far into the conversation and any subtext while Canyon was there, but it seems like she's got a thing for hardcore adventurers like Finn and that age/size/species(?) doesn't really matter to her. Adventurers just get her motor running and Finn's pretty much the only one in all of Ooo at this point.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I may have read way too far into the conversation and any subtext while Canyon was there, but it seems like she's got a thing for hardcore adventurers like Finn and that age/size/species(?) doesn't really matter to her. Adventurers just get her motor running and Finn's pretty much the only one in all of Ooo at this point.
I understood that as a clever jab towards Finn, seeing as he's been getting kind of bad at adventuring, like in the ep where Cinnamon Bun oneupped Finn's efforts. Hell, the only thing he's got going for him right now is his grass sword. Who's to say it hasn't acted on its own all along? I think he's in for a rude awakening.

I'm gonna be honest, finding out I only have a few weeks to wait until the next season (and not 6+ months) was at least as shocking as the dad reveal. It's a great time to be an Adventure Time fan.

Also I accidentally read the post at the top of this page before watching the episode and thought Finn would lose his arm!

Kuroyume

Banned
Really good episode. Good moments in there when Finn confronted the evil elves in Billy's crack and when he rode his motorcycle.

Rlan

So... Season 6.

At least based on that leak
Finn's Dad steals his Arm by magical means, rather than actually hacking it off and being "dead" with blood and guts, so it's probably as the Cuties falling apart

I hope

God I love this show.
CB = ?

Finn's Dad steals his Arm by magical means, rather than actually hacking it off and being "dead" with blood and guts, so it's probably as the Cuties falling apart
WHAT.
WHERE DID YOU READ THAT.
FUCK. That's actually a clever way of dealing with that.

zeemumu

Even so...

He isn't the ONLY human. He was at the beginning of the show, but not so much anymore. Betty is human, too.

The lack of John DiMaggio this season has been a real bummer.

Anyone know the deal here?

He obviously wasn't absent all season, I only noticed that episodes were becoming pretty Jake-light in the last 10-15 or so. Earlier on he seemed to be around as much as ever. Was he busy with another project recently?

Hope Jake returns as the second lead in April.

DrkSage

That would explain
the tower episode? Since what the episode description says Finn doesn't like any of the arms PB has for him so he goes to the citadel to retrieve is old arm back from his father

Anyone know the deal here?

He obviously wasn't absent all season, I only noticed that episodes were becoming pretty Jake-light in the last 10-15 or so. Earlier on he seemed to be around as much as ever. Was he busy with another project recently?

Hope Jake returns as the second lead in April.

It wouldn't have been anything recent, these episodes were all recorded at the beginning of last year, if not earlier.

Rlan

That would explain
the tower episode? Since what the episode description says Finn doesn't like any of the arms PB has for him so he goes to the citadel to retrieve is old arm back from his father

I'm basing my speculation on that description only.
Why would Finn need to get his arm back if it's wasn't magically stolen?

Cipherr

Would anyone happen to know the source of that GIF where it shows some cartoon character being eaten by some monster and digested (lol). It looked like it was from adventure time, but I cant be sure. May as well ask here.

Odoul

We are gonna see some Jake...at some point on this Adventure Time with Finn & Jake show right?

The lack of Jake has been really noticeable and it's kinda pissing me off.

So has creepy incompetent loser Finn.

I can take one or the other, but both are kind of a drag.

It's weird cos, at first I was thinking, the episodes seem to air in a haphazard fashion at times so maybe we just got a bunch of no-Jake eps all at once by coincidence. The show has been lampshading his absence for a few episodes now though, i.e. this one where Jake isn't in it past the opening because he is in denial about Billy, etc, or Finn asking for Jake to get involved in an adventure a while back and Jake just being like 'nah' and Finn saying 'no help from him I guess'.

So I was wondering, since they are obviously aware of it, whether it was a scheduling issue they are making some jokes about, or if they're doing a kind of Finn and Jake drift apart storyline which will come to a head. Characters do tend to disappear for long stretches on this show, though. LSP was nowhere to be seen for ages until the last little batch, and Marceline only seems to show up when it's a Simon-centric story these days. I just thought Jake was immune to that.

A nice big two parter about Jake making sandwiches or something would be real good right about now.

J-Rod

It doesn't seem like Jake to be in denial about someone's death. He has always seemed to cope with it better than Finn, particularly in that one episode where he dreamt of his own death and the cosmic owl.

It doesn't seem like Jake to be in denial about someone's death. He has always seemed to cope with it better than Finn, particularly in that one episode where he dreamt of his own death and the cosmic owl.

Agreed, it was the first time that Jake's absence felt a bit contrived.

Goliath

Jake has had plenty of development and had his whole being a parent episodes. I am interested in Finn's background and why he is one of the few human's around. Jake is great but sometimes he can be a third wheel. Especially since he is lazy.

I am OK with Finn having some time to grow up and do his own thing as he get's older. They will always bring Jake back in for fun but for the extended story of Adventure Time Jake doesn't add much.

Yeah any kind of absence of a character is written into the show, it's not just something that happens suddenly. They had to pay DiMaggio for the lines in that episode, and for SAG the base price is $450 a hour, and I'm sure he costs a little more than that. Finn has been dealing with stuff on his own lately, chicks and his purpose and they've also been doing a bunch of episodes in the second half that barely even had anything to do with Finn or Jake. So it's not just some kind of arbitrary thing that recently popped up. Like I said, all of these Season 5 episodes were written, boarded and recorded well over a year ago. Season 6 started boarding in July of 2013 and the crew had been on hiatus after the completion of Season 5 for a few months at that point, so the majority of the work (before animation happens) was probably done in 2012, with maybe these last few episodes being done at the very beginning of 2013.

In all likelihood it could have been as simple as, when they decided to scrap the movie and do a double-season, they didn't have the budget to pay for DiMaggio to do a grip of episodes so they kept him to a minimum. But I doubt even that happened, I think it's just their choice to have Finn be doing his thing in his own little world and he needs to get back into a proper upswing which will happen next season.

IMO Jake being in denial over Billy's death isn't out of character for him. Yeah he accepted his own mortality but there's a difference between being at ease with our own demise and dealing with the demise of someone close to you or that you admire like they did with Billy. I know I'm gonna die some day and I can't do anything about that but thinking about my parents one day dying fucks me up and I'm gonna have a real problem when it happens. What he said about them getting back together and then looking right at the camera while he said it and going "Wwwwwoooooooop!" as he zipped offscreen actually felt perfectly in-character to me.

Plus there's that whole issue with one of Jake's daughters that was alluded to in the teaser for Apple Wedding, maybe we'll find out that he's been preoccupied with that.

Cipherr

Nah it was one where a character was eaten and it showed him getting dissolved by the monsters stomach acid :lol some extremely dark shit. It may have FINALLY not been an Adventure time GIF if noone recognizes it by description, which is sort of a good thing. Ive seen some weird shit from this show posted online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom