• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

We have an OT for Adventure Time? YEAH! *subbed*

Dat ending for Lemonhope part 2... so melancholic, sad, cute, mysterious and insightful at the same time. Gotta love this show.

Didn't catch on the whole
PB stuff
though, I'm not sure about it... seems forced aside from the
German

Zomba13

I thought it was obvious that
cloud guy was PB. Pink, same kinda facial features (with added fake moustache), says exact same thing about treaties and pacts, speaks a little German (to which Lemon hope replies "That's what mistress always said"), Something about being sclonked up tighter than a synthetic zanoit steriliser tube enlarger (sounds like some sciency mumbo jumbo PB would use as a simile).

Axass

I thought it was obvious that
cloud guy was PB. Pink, same kinda facial features (with added fake moustache), says exact same thing about treaties and pacts, speaks a little German (to which Lemon hope replies "That's what mistress always said"), Something about being sclonked up tighter than a synthetic zanoit steriliser tube enlarger (sounds like some sciency mumbo jumbo PB would use as a simile).

I don't see how it would work
, why would PB stay so far from the kingdom for weeks? Why wasn't the whole situation addressed at the end? Though I can see a strict relationship between PB and cloud guy: same "family"?

LaNaranja

I never thought for a second that pink dude was just some random guy. Then again I don't actually watch this show regularly, I only saw it this week because Regular Show and Steven Universe were on afterward. Didn't the guy mention that he had seen him drinking lime juice? That means he had been tailing him for a while and waited for Lemonhope to be basically dead before helping. What a dick.

I was falling asleep and didn't actually see the end of the episode and even I still got that! :p

He was pink, and he said the exact same thing about getting too close to the castle that PB had said earlier. I actually expected Lemonhope to have a moment of realization reaction to it but it never happened.

I assumed that the treaty thing was just well known to everybody. It doesnt mean its her. Also, why would PB just sit out in the desert for weeks like that? Doesnt she have a kingdom to run? Thats what made me think it was just some random guy who represented the spiritual intervention cliche. I dont think it was as incredibly obvious as some people in this thread are saying.

Rlan

I was sure it was actually
Finn, on account that the guy was basically his Davey disguise. Image
. We also know from the episode that
PB has her invincibility cloaking device. I initially thought I could see their shadows during the ship segment, but it was actually the little Finn and PB toys he made

I honestly don't know why people are hung up on PB staying away from the kingdom for a prolonged period of time. She's done it before, going out exploring to find new places to expand her rule. She's shown what lengths she'll go to to get her way with the King of Ooo. We don't know that she was there in that could every second of every day for two weeks (though we also don't know that she wasn't) but we do know that she really, REALLY wanted Lemonhope to do what she said was right and go back to save his people.

But, the initials were PB. He was pink. He spoke German phrases. He said the exact same line that PB spoke earlier in the episode. Lemonhope even commented that it was the same thing PB would say. I don't know what else they could have done besides actually show him take off his mustache to prove it was Bubblegum.

I mean, hey, we could be wrong and it's not her, but I seriously doubt it.

I don't know what else they could have done besides actually show him take off his mustache to prove it was Bubblegum.

Maybe make the voice a little more similar to PB's voice? I mean, when most shows do that type of disguise, they make the voice of the fake character sound like a muffled version of the real person's voice or something. His voice being completely different was another thing that threw me off.

Because I thought he was just a symbol of the "Spiritual intervention" cliche and his voice was different and it seemed implausible to me that PB or anyone else would be there for weeks at the time (assuming they were, sure its possible that they could have went back and fourth or whatever. I was just assuming again and wasn't even taking into account how PB went to great lengths to get her way with the king of ooo because I wasn't even suspicious that the guy was PB in the first place) I wasn't even questioning if it was someone in disguise, so nothing ever clicked to me when he said the treaty stuff. I just assumed the treaties were well known.

I seriously didn't even know PB spoke German phrases until reading this thread even after watching every episode of Adventure Time lol.

TheOGB

Banned
I honestly don't know why people are hung up on PB staying away from the kingdom for a prolonged period of time. She's done it before, going out exploring to find new places to expand her rule. She's shown what lengths she'll go to to get her way with the King of Ooo. We don't know that she was there in that could every second of every day for two weeks (though we also don't know that she wasn't) but we do know that she really, REALLY wanted Lemonhope to do what she said was right and go back to save his people.

But, the initials were PB. He was pink. He spoke German phrases. He said the exact same line that PB spoke earlier in the episode. Lemonhope even commented that it was the same thing PB would say. I don't know what else they could have done besides actually show him take off his mustache to prove it was Bubblegum.

I mean, hey, we could be wrong and it's not her, but I seriously doubt it.
Seriously, if PB could clone herself and that kind of crazy stuff I'm sure she could find a way to be away from the kingdom for a while.

Maybe make the voice a little more similar to PB's voice? I mean, when most shows do that type of disguise, they make the voice of the fake character sound like a muffled version of the real person's voice or something. His voice being completely different was another thing that threw me off.

Because I thought he was just a symbol of the "Spiritual intervention" cliche and his voice was different and it seemed implausible to me that PB or anyone else would be there for weeks at the time (assuming they were, sure its possible that they could have went back and fourth or whatever. I was just assuming again and wasn't even taking into account how PB went to great lengths to get her way with the king of ooo because I wasn't even suspicious that the guy was PB in the first place) I wasn't even questioning if it was someone in disguise, so nothing ever clicked to me when he said the treaty stuff. I just assumed the treaties were well known.

I seriously didn't even know PB spoke German phrases until reading this thread even after watching every episode of Adventure Time lol.
Something that's good to know, is a lot of people on Adventure Time are fans of less is more. They don't like to hand-hold or over-explain things (when they're allowed to get away with it), they enjoy long patches of the show where there's nobody even talking. Finn's voice changed entirely when he went Davey, and we've seen other characters use voice-altering tech before too. Perhaps they'll reference it later on in the series to clarify some of the mystery, but I wouldn't count on it. Bubblegum has turned into a very strange, ambiguous character, and I don't think they care to spell out everything that she's doing to people while they're setting up whatever it is they're doing with her.

And yeah man she's been dropping German phrasing for years :p

Edit:
She has spoken German in "Frost & Fire," "What Have You Done?," "Go With Me," Slumber Party Panic" and "James," and is capable of understanding Lady Rainicorn, who speaks Korean, suggesting she knows the language.

Slumber Party Panic is one of the first episodes they aired so she's been doing it the entire series, even :)

zeemumu

I have to admit, I found the ending a little touching for some reason.

I'm going to throw in my two cents and say that
Phlannel Boxingday and PB are the same person. There's the mention of the treaties and pacts by both of them, Phlannel convincing Lemonhope to return, using PB's science terms, and the fact that they're both pink and have the same initials. Besides, if Phlannel really WAS just some random guy, why did he wait until Lemonhope was nearing the end to help? PB would have because she would know that he wouldn't go back if she helped him right away because he wouldn't have learned anything.

I think that
PB has been following him this whole time and possibly had something to do with the shipwreck. She waited until Lemonhope was about to die so that he'd be forced to put his freedom adventure on hold until he recovered, and crafted the persona of a free adventurer by repurposing and recoloring Davey's mustache so that he'd listen to her.

Oh my God. Post-apocalyptic Ooo. That flash-forward was so eerily beautiful.

As for Phlannel Boxingday, I also believe that was Princess Bubblegum in disguise.

Btw I can't be the only one who got a Super Mario Bros 2 vibe from this shot:

SuperLemonhopeBros2_zps92b83849.jpg

Popnbake

PB's song and the eerie notes playing in the background really made it stand out.

I'm trying to see if there was anything significant behind showing Ooo in that state.

If it was 10 or so years in the future then I would be thinking that they are setting up something big for the show.

But 1000 years in a desolate futuristic city doesn't seem like they are going to follow up on it.
That's at least several centuries from the current timeline and as already mentioned most of the characters we follow will be long gone.

zeemumu

The last apocalypse that created Ooo occurred 1000 year prior to the show since
Simon had to go back 1000 years to say goodbye to Betty, right?
So some form of apocalypse will occur every 1000 years?
PB's song and the eerie notes playing in the background really made it stand out.

I'm trying to see if there was anything significant behind showing Ooo in that state.

If it was 10 or so years in the future then I would be thinking that they are setting up something big for the show.

But 1000 years in a desolate futuristic city doesn't seem like they are going to follow up on it.
That's at least several centuries from the current timeline and as already mentioned most of the characters we follow will be long gone.

I wouldn't mind it being the setting for the final episode. The only main characters with life spans long enough to survive that long are Ice King and Marceline. PB might since she's already hundreds of years old, which is only about 18-19 years of physical growth to her. I'd like to see a final episode that essentially ends the series where it chronologically begins: with Simon and Marceline in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

sn00zer

Really feel the show coming to an end, which is sad. Lots of questions still unanswered and Im sure most will stay that way. The past season of episodes has been very adult in themes, it started before but the 'root beer guy' ep was the beginning of doing episodes with little humor and done as a character study instead of propelling the larger arc forward

I was always looking forward to a real Adventure Time video game, but the recent string of eps has shown AT is a lot more than fantasy adventures in Candy Land

Tuck

Man that ending was... it was haunting. Brutal and... sad. Jesus...

So clearly Ooo falls to ruin, just like civilization did a thousand years prior to Adventure Time. Thats... bold. And a tough pill to swallow. The music that played over the scene just made it more so.

I... I wonder what happens. Finn will grow up and die. But PB, Marceline, Ice King... they should all still be around.

The ending really bummed me out, but its the sort of surprising depth that keeps me coming back to this show.

EDIT: This definitely deserved to be a 30 minute episode, but so did Betty - they both should have been.

Tuck

And I guess this is where
Finn gets the farmworld flute? He'll probably lose his arm soon.

:O woah didn't even think of that.

Damn. Dat' continuity.

EDIT: Someone on Reddit pointed out that the Ice Kingdom is gone a thousand years in the future...

zeemumu

One last thought. I
don't think that Lemonhope returned because he was tired of being free. He said before that the only reason that he came back to save them was so that he could stop worrying about them, and most of his journey involves avoiding the responsibility of worrying about the fate of his people. At the end, there's no one left. No one to worry about, nothing expected of him. I feel like that's the reason that he returned.

I had a thought that the sword would be the thing that makes finn lose his hand, same arm too

wonder if it'll happen in the season finale or next season

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Yeah, Brazil vibes all over the place :) Probably why this will probably go down as one of my favourite episodes of AT.

PB totally is PB.

I love the bittersweet ending. All things have their moment in the sun and fade away for new things. That is life.

I also really like Lemonhope's characterization. Some people just don't give a shit about others and do things for themselves, and that's who they are and will always be. Makes people like Finn nobler people in contrast, if stupider.

LaNaranja

Man reading some of the stuff here makes me wish I had been paying more attention to the show. I think I am going to start picking up the seasons on Blu-ray. From the episodes I have seen I have gotten a bit of the depth this show has to offer but it seems to go deeper then I had imagined.

That said I assume most people here are hopping for a series finale soon right? This seems like the kind of show that no one really wants to go on forever until lack of viewers kills it or it turns into something mediocre.

Popnbake

The last apocalypse that created Ooo occurred 1000 year prior to the show since
Simon had to go back 1000 years to say goodbye to Betty, right?
So some form of apocalypse will occur every 1000 years?

I wouldn't mind it being the setting for the final episode. The only main characters with life spans long enough to survive that long are Ice King and Marceline. PB might since she's already hundreds of years old, which is only about 18-19 years of physical growth to her. I'd like to see a final episode that essentially ends the series where it chronologically begins: with Simon and Marceline in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Not a bad way to end it.

And I guess this is where
Finn gets the farmworld flute? He'll probably lose his arm soon.

!!!

EDIT: Someone on Reddit pointed out that the Ice Kingdom is gone a thousand years in the future...

Okay, now I'm very curious in finding out what happened if the Ice King is gone as well.

Axass

It's Finn's flute. Princess Bubblegum took it from Finn and gave it to Lemonhope in Too Old. It first appeared in Prisoners of Love:

axRURPE.png

Was about to say it, we saw Finn's flute in several episodes.

About the PB stuff...
I stand my point that there's no evidence of her being him. At all. If anything the evidence points to them being somehow related, that would explain the fact they're pink, they both speak German and so on.

NEO0MJ

About the PB stuff... I stand my point that there's no evidence of her being him. At all. If anything the evidence points to them being somehow related, that would explain the fact they're pink, they both speak German and so on.

I don't know, personally I was sure it was her the moment he mentioned why he can't go near the Lemon Kingdom. Still, according to the AT games written by Pen she isn't the only Bubblegum in the world.

-Deimos

About the PB stuff...
I stand my point that there's no evidence of her being him. At all. If anything the evidence points to them being somehow related, that would explain the fact they're pink, they both speak German and so on.

Definitely PB.

About the PB stuff...

I hope you enjoy the taste of crow.

Tuck

About the PB stuff...

Well... actually there is. You're just choosing to ignore it.

daveo42

Banned
Coming in a bit late on this one, but that episode was really fantastic. The Brazil vibes from the dream sequences were great and that ending was rough. Everything must eventually come to an end, even the adventures of Jake and Finn. I know it can't last forever, but I hope they do the end of the series justice with it comes.

I figured out it was PB the whole time after the drop of the diamonds and the start of the whole "save the lemon people bit" that came up. Subtle, but pretty obvious of who it was pushing Lemonhope along.

DrkSage

Saw someone post something about the ice kingdom not being around I thousand years in the future. Maybe Betty found the loophole? Making ice king aka Simon live forever but not insane? Meaning that he has no need for an ice kingdom? Maybe he went to live with Betty a calm and peaceful life?

Also someone mentioned something that made me think...

So when Simon was with Marcy, the scene where he locked Marcy inside the car and became insane we saw PB in her early states of developments. 1000 years later passed, we know this because when ice king lost his magic powers Marceline, fin and jake went to visit him they said to him Marceline was 1000 years old, so 1000 years passed and PB is 18 years old. So if we do the math... When lemonhope returned 1000 years... Doesn't that mean PB could be 36 years old? Correct me if I'm wrong or something, I'm pretty much assuming here.

Tuck

Saw someone post something about the ice kingdom not being around I thousand years in the future. Maybe Betty found the loophole? Making ice king aka Simon live forever but not insane? Meaning that he has no need for an ice kingdom? Maybe he went to live with Betty a calm and peaceful life?

Also someone mentioned something that made me think...

So when Simon was with Marcy, the scene where he locked Marcy inside the car and became insane we saw PB in her early states of developments. 1000 years later passed, we know this because when ice king lost his magic powers Marceline, fin and jake went to visit him they said to him Marceline was 1000 years old, so 1000 years passed and PB is 18 years old. So if we do the math... When lemonhope returned 1000 years... Doesn't that mean PB could be 36 years old? Correct me if I'm wrong or something, I'm pretty much assuming here.

PB can change her age by adding or removing candy mass. She likely aged several times, but kept returning to a younger state. Its not that she just ages super slowly.

daveo42

Banned
PB can change her age by adding or removing candy mass. She likely aged several times, but kept returning to a younger state. Its not that she just ages super slowly.

My guess is that she is the pink blob we saw in the Simon & Marcy. PB is ageless and has been since the end of the Great Mushroom War.

Edit: doh, stated above as well, cept the age bit. She'll forever be 18 unless she somehow loses candy mass. I don't think she gets any more.

DrkSage

Ah, I forgot that little detail.

That's the thing with adventure time. It has so many details, big and small, that you have to carefully pay attention to all of them xD.

Acerac

Banned
My guess is that she is the pink blob we saw in the Simon & Marcy. PB is ageless and has been since the end of the Great Mushroom War.

Edit: doh, stated above as well, cept the age bit. She'll forever be 18 unless she somehow loses candy mass. I don't think she gets any more.

According to the most recent Adventure Time game
the blob is PB's parents and she was formed inside of it 800 some odd years ago.

Tuck

the blob in PB's parents and she was formed inside of it 800 some odd years ago.

Yeah - I believe the game was written by Pen Ward, making it canon.

EDIT: its kinda funny talking about a canon in a childrens cartoon. But AT has such strong continuity.

daveo42

Banned
the blob in PB's parents and she was formed inside of it 800 some odd years ago.

I really don't want to play that game, even if it is canon. The game just looks so boring and unpolished. The voices add a bit to it, but after seeing someone run through a level, I was already done with it.

The Hermit

...fuck.

why didn't i see that

me neither

holy shit

As for Phlannel Boxingday, I also believe that was Princess Bubblegum in disguise.

Btw I can't be the only one who got a Super Mario Bros 2 vibe from this shot:

SuperLemonhopeBros2_zps92b83849.jpg

I think Lemonhope dreams were a callback to some videogames. I got some Cave Story and Fez vibe at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sfzs5xim5Y#t=7m30s

About the cloud guy
it's pretty obvious that it's PB, so it's possible that this was done as a ruse and a future episode will show that they AREN'T the same person. Like someone else said it could be someone related to her, maybe even her father. True King of Ooo. Also in an airship. Which might be why PB hates the fake king because he has an airship too, pretending to be her father the king

So very behind. My DVR is probably like 50% AT at this point so hopefully I still have everything I've missed :lol

Picked up the season 3 blu. Still bummed these have the dumb UV codes that don't also work with iTunes.

Tuck

About the cloud guy
it's pretty obvious that it's PB, so it's possible that this was done as a ruse and a future episode will show that they AREN'T the same person. Like someone else said it could be someone related to her, maybe even her father. True King of Ooo. Also in an airship. Which might be why PB hates the fake king because he has an airship too, pretending to be her father the king

According to the game (Which is canon),
PB's parents are a big ball of goo she kept secret, so it couldn't be her father.

I suppose it could be some relative of some sort, but they practically beat you over the head with evidence of him being PB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom