• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time: The Final Seasons |OT| The Fullmetal Optimist

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
At first I worried that giving backstory to a guest animator's avatar based on Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron would ruin the simplicity of the character, who is an inexplicable source of joy and delight

But they were able to flesh out/grow the character and convey a good message while still having silly fun with it all. Good stuff.

Psxphile

"You're still being weird."
"Well, what am I supposed to do!?"
"You gotta slap him a bit."
"What?"
"Slap him with some real talk."
"... ooooh."
"Stab him."
"What!?"
"With a giant syringe."
"WHA--?!"
"Of respect."
"OOOOoooh."

lol

Also:
1NgCesA.png

Oops!

Defect

Nearly got teary eye'd at the end of Islands. Man, I'm going to miss this show when it's gone :(
Yeah, this has been my favorite cartoon tied with Invader Zim but after watching Islands, it finally took my number one spot.

I will miss this show but we still have the rest of season 8 and 9 so a good 1-2 years left.

IronRinn

Totally blanked last night and missed this. Good for you James Baxter
(nee Games Bookstore)
, find your own happiness.

"You're still being weird."
"Well, what am I supposed to do!?"
"You gotta slap him a bit."
"What?"
"Slap him with some real talk."
"... ooooh."
"Stab him."
"What!?"
"With a giant syringe."
"WHA--?!"
"Of respect."
"OOOOoooh."

lol

Loved that exchange.

Psxphile

Another promo image for tonight's episode, "Jelly Beans Have Power":

tumblr_inline_okfrp4peCU1qzr4u5_540.gif

Promo for a new Adventure Time episode I boarded with Hanna (our first board together!). Tonight!!!
Aleks Sennwald

Freaky.

Bonus! Concept artwork for Grass Finn a.k.a. Fern:
tumblr_okg9jcM7bS1s4yagho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_okg9jcM7bS1s4yagho2_1280.jpg

Here’s Adam’s original concept for Fern (and a bonus Finn-arm concept), plus the mods I made once Steve and I started storyboarding Reboot.
Tom Herpich

vypek

Oh, James Baxter is the named after an animator? While I didn't care for the overall episode there was a scene where he was shaking his mane where I thought the animation looked incredibly good.

Servbot24

Banned
Oh, James Baxter is the named after an animator? While I didn't care for the overall episode there was a scene where he was shaking his mane where I thought the animation looked incredibly good.

Yeah that really stood out, looked awesome.

Ross61

So Islands was almost everything I wanted it to be. Pretty much all my questions about humans were answered.

Although Martins behavior is still a mystery.

vypek

I completely forgot about the elementals story. Fire, Ice, Candy, Slime. Is there more? I barely remember the episode that showed the stuff with lizard Gunter and the crown insanity

Psxphile

I completely forgot about the elementals story. Fire, Ice, Candy, Slime. Is there more? I barely remember the episode that showed the stuff with lizard Gunter and the crown insanity

No, just the four according to episodes Evergreen and last season's Elemental. Here's a quick refresher: Evergreen was the Ice Elemental of his era but croaked trying to prevent the Lich Comet from striking the planet. Gunter used the crown but his desire to be like Evergreen corrupted it into transforming anyone who wears it into a sort of Evergreen clone complete with Ice powers, but not a true Elemental.

The rest is explained here.

Watch out for Islands spoilers. Youtube is ripe with them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the last season and the end of the show, or will there be more episodes after this? I think I read somewhere it's the last one, but I'm not sure.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Conveniently I did a rewatch of this show and finished s7 last week. Had no idea it was back this week so that was a massive coincidence.

Good stuff so far.

Is this the last season and the end of the show, or will there be more episodes after this? I think I read somewhere it's the last one, but I'm not sure.
This is the second-to-last season. The next season is the last one and the show will end in 2018.

vypek

No, just the four according to episodes Evergreen and last season's Elemental. Here's a quick refresher: Evergreen was the Ice Elemental of his era but croaked trying to prevent the Lich Comet from striking the planet. Gunter used the crown but his desire to be like Evergreen corrupted it into transforming anyone who wears it into a sort of Evergreen clone complete with Ice powers, but not a true Elemental.

The rest is explained here.

Watch out for Islands spoilers. Youtube is ripe with them.

Thanks for the link. I'll try to avoid Islands since I want to watch those as they air. And appreciate the information you posted on the elementals. Did not remember at all that Gunter corrupted the crown himself and prevented true Ice Elementals.

Also, do we know anything else about what Betty is doing or was her last thing just messing with the crown?

Psxphile

Thanks for the link. I'll try to avoid Islands since I want to watch those as they air. And appreciate the information you posted on the elementals. Did not remember at all that Gunter corrupted the crown himself and prevented true Ice Elementals.

Also, do we know anything else about what Betty is doing or was her last thing just messing with the crown?
The crown corruption doesn't prevent new Elementals from being born, Patience St. Pim is proof of that. Patience not dying was what kept a new Ice Elemental from being born. Avatar rules, yo!

No idea what Betty's plan was. She tried to reconfigure the crown from within but it didn't quite work as intended. Could be she'll try to un-corrupt the crown slowly rather than all at once.

Ok, so hulu has up to the thin yellow line, a dozen or so episodes shy of the full season... why?
Hulu gotta Hulu. Or maybe CN is at fault, but the 6th season DVD/Blu-Ray is already out so there's no reason to withhold eps from Hulu to improve sales.

This show is so great. Makes me sad to think that this is the final season. This show and playing Nintendo video games never fail to cheer me up when I'm feeling down.

Was watching some season one episodes earlier today and was surprised by how much Finn's voice has changed throughout the years. But it makes sense considering the age of the voice actor

Tuck

This show is so great. Makes me sad to think that this is the final season. This show and playing Nintendo video games never fail to cheer me up when I'm feeling down.

Was watching some season one episodes earlier today and was surprised by how much Finn's voice has changed throughout the years. But it makes sense considering the age of the voice actor

Not the final season. Second last.

theres another season after this one

Macka

Islands didn't do it for me at all tbh. :/

I found Minerva to be thoroughly uninteresting, and didn't really buy into her relationship with Martin at all. I wish they'd dedicated an entire episode to that instead of rushing through it in a ten second montage. I also find the idea of her having uploaded her consciousness to be such a played out trope at this point, and they even had her ready to kill everyone to keep them safe as well. Groan.

I don't know. Finn learning where he came from is something that I've been anticipating for years, but it just didn't come together in a way that I could enjoy. If Finn was to meet his mum, I'd have liked it to be something more. I'd have liked him to get genuine answers, genuine interaction. Instead, it's a crazy duplicate of his mum's personality in dubiously authentic A.I form. It was 'sad' for Finn to find out about all of this, but it lacked real emotional weight in my opinion. If you'd asked me what Finn meeting his mother would look like, I'd have imagine it to be a huge event in the show and for Finn's character, and it just didn't feel that way to me.

Oh, and I get what they were going for in showing the different islands and how they represent possible futures for humanity, but I found Whipple, Mysterious Island and Imaginary Resources to be very dull episodes all in all. Could have done without them so they could have spent more time developing Minerva, Martin and the whole situation really.

Servbot24

Banned
I think the problem I had with Islands is that I just didn't want to know where Finn came from at all. To me it's completely irrelevant to what the show is about.

Psxphile

You can't tempt me with those black bars, agents of Satan.

On the small chance I won't be available later, I'll go ahead and make this post now:

All right everyone, the day of reckoning is here. The first two episodes of the Islands story arc airs in 3 hours. Here's some art promos:

tumblr_oklvq53HBT1qdylsxo1_1280.jpg

New Adventure Time miniseries “ISLANDS” premieres this week, starting tonight with The Invitation by me and Polly and Whipple The Happy Dragon by Seo and Somvi. 7:30 on Cartoon Network, right after a killer new Steven Universe.
Also shoutout to Jesse Balmer for showing me how to do that metal texture
Sam Alden
tumblr_oklygt568y1t0t09yo1_1280.jpg

promo by writer/storyboard artist Seo Kim

premieres Monday, January 30th at 7:45/6:45c on Cartoon Network
KingOfOoo

For those of you who've already seen Islands in its entirety and to those are coming in fresh: keep episode spoilers in tags until after the 3 hour grace period to give our West coast brethren a chance to view the episode un-sullied. Any spoilers about future episodes are to be CLEARLY MARKED as future episode spoilers. That is all.

I loved Islands tbh and thought it worked very well and made sense in universe. As for people feeling dissatisfied
Adventure Time has always been about the reality of things not always turning out the way you want them to. When we first met Martin was a good example of that. Not everything can or will be fantastical, nor should it be, and i like that for relationships between characters they keep it grounded. As for Martin and Minerva's relationship, I found it heartwarming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom