• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 7 |OT| *CN walks into devastated fandom w/ new episodes*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

It's a bit sad but we still have plenty to look forward to and it seems to be wrapping up on its own terms, so I can't really complain. It's already been a good run.

Hope we'll still get a special or two afterwards though, I don't want to say goodbye to the AT universe forever. (Lookin at you, Avatar ;_; )

PolishQ

It's a bit sad but we still have plenty to look forward to and it seems to be wrapping up on its own terms, so I can't really complain. It's already been a good run.

Hope we'll still get a special or two afterwards though, I don't want to say goodbye to the AT universe forever. (Lookin at you, Avatar ;_; )

I haven't been able to find the full press release yet, but various articles quote it:

In an official statement, Cartoon Network promised the final run of Adventure Time episodes will encompass ”142 half-hours of content,” which includes new episodes, miniseries, specials, and some mysterious “more.”

I wonder if the movie will come after the finale, too... or maybe the movie IS the finale.

Joqu

I haven't been able to find the full press release yet, but various articles quote it:

I wonder if the movie will come after the finale, too... or maybe the movie IS the finale.

Yeah, I know, I counted that as stuff to look forward to!

Just meant I hope I'll be able to look forward to the occasional other special in the years to come, CN has done stuff like that before.

Movie being the finale would be hype

Words can't describe how sad I am about the ending. I guess it's better to end it at a point when they feel to instead of dragging it out forever and having the quality dip. I hope they still revisit through video games and minseries and comics even after the show ends. I would hate for the world to completely end with the show.

KiN0

The show seems to be going out on its own terms, so I'm actually pretty happy about this news. 9 seasons is a long runtime, and I'd rather see the show end well than drag on.

I am worried about CN though. I have no idea if the network has anything in the works that could possibly draw in these kinds of audiences.

TheSun

Alas, it finally comes to an end. We all saw this coming but it still stings a bit.
Personally I enjoyed everything they put out, even season six.

Now Cartoonetwork better put out more great shows to fill out the void, cuz We Bare Bears ain't doing it.

Servbot24

Banned
The show seems to be going out on its own terms, so I'm actually pretty happy about this news. 9 seasons is a long runtime, and I'd rather see the show end well than drag on.

I am worried about CN though. I have no idea if the network has anything in the works that could possibly draw in these kinds of audiences.

It would be great if they could hang on to some of the talent from AT. There have been some awesome people involved.

teen titans go forever and ever

Steven Universe will probably keep its audience, even if it's never drawn the kind of ratings AT did at its peak.

ezekial45

Banned
They better release a box set for this series (along with Regular Show). CN has been really stingy about releasing collections of their series on home video.

Psxphile

tumblr_inline_oe9wo2Oj641uudwbt_540.png

CthpJX-UAAAjZlb.jpg

Steve Wolfhard pays his respects
Steve Wolfhard said:
tumblr_oe9vraU6BR1rwtssmo1_500.jpg

These are the brownies Leslie made us, after she poured a bottle of wine in me, after Adam called to tell me that Adventure Time was ending.

AT was the best job I’ve ever had, I am in love the show and this is for sure a difficult goodbye. November 2011 Leslie and I got engaged and I emailed Pen and said like “you know the boarding job I turned down a while back, can I do that.” because I was going to be a husband and I needed a career.

So this job has been very exactly our entire marriage, (I even think that we started dating about the time when I started doing revision work on Adventure Time.) What a tough goodbye!

Thank you to everyone I’ve worked with, (I can’t think of anyone I’ve worked closely with who I didn’t love), but especially thank you to Adam and Pen. I feel very lucky.

BUT while production is packing up, 2018 is a long ways away and I’m in love the episodes that are coming. Some really hot stuff.

EDIT: As does Sam Alden
Sam Alden said:
Yeah, it’s a bummer. Lots of wistful crew reminisces over here. I’m really grateful to have been a tiny part of this show; DeForge said on Twitter that it was the best job he’ll ever have, and that rings true for me, too. Adventure Time is so strange and intimate and ambitious as a project, and there’s nothing else quite like it in the corporate media hellscape. That feels special, and I’m deeply grateful that they took a chance on me. I’ll miss this crew a lot.

On a more positive note, we’ve still got two entire seasons to roll out, and they’re good. This isn’t the official pitch and i have no idea how CN will market it, but the way I see it the S7 finale sets in motion a huge chain of events that carry the show compellingly through to the end. There’s like, this building, cinematic sweep to the last couple seasons… felt exhilarating to see that come together.

Anyway. Thanks AT, bye AT

Tuck

Sad to see it go, but two years is still a decent amount of time. Hope they can wrap everything up well, and give it a good send off.

Adventure time is one of my favorite shows ever. It's had an amazing run. Hope they can stick the landing.

IronRinn

Wasn't checking this thread and came in to see this news. Glad they get to go out on their own terms but, fuck, this is still a huge bummer. One of my favorite shows of all time.

Psxphile

According to Zap2it and the CN leaker Preboot is scheduled to air October 26, which falls on a Wednesday:

tumblr_oedsxbJsUk1uwb31io1_540.png

For now take it with a grain of salt until we get more confirmation, plenty of time for things to change in the interim.

Some more well-wishing from former and current AT staff:

tumblr_oee7d2TcnW1v4j5emo6_540.jpg

tumblr_oee7d2TcnW1v4j5emo5_540.jpg

tumblr_oee7d2TcnW1v4j5emo3_540.jpg

tumblr_oee7d2TcnW1v4j5emo2_540.jpg

tumblr_oee7d2TcnW1v4j5emo1_540.jpg

The King of Ooo blog has spent the last few weeks posting all kinds of assets from Season 6 and 7 production: backgrounds, concept artwork, storyboard excerpts as well as complete episode boards and model sheets.

They also released a storyboard panel presumably from Reboot:

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm glad to know that it's ending sooner than later. I've lost a lot of interest, and haven't even followed s7 since it started.

Psxphile

IronRinn

tumblr_oeucmdyVae1qmtdyso1_540.jpg

tumblr_oeucmdyVae1qmtdyso2_540.jpg

Exclusive Adventure Time Music of Ooo vinyl album available at ThinkGeek

Pretty sure this is the first time an official physical soundtrack had been made available for purchase (there's also a digital version available on iTunes). Granted, they're mostly just the short songs taken from the show and not longer versions recorded just for the LP (although I noticed a distinct lack of Bury You With My Sound/I'm Just Your Problem). Pretty neat collector's item, though.
Gonna restrain myself and just get the Finn colored one. (Famous last words.)

Psxphile

Looks like BOOM! Studios is going to publish another AT comic miniseries starring the little bunny girl Marceline befriended in the past in Stakes!:

October 13, 2016 (Los Angeles, Calif.) – KaBOOM!, an award-winning imprint of publisher BOOM! Studios, and Cartoon Network Enterprises, the licensing and merchandising arm of the network, are excited to announce Adventure Time: Islands, a new original graphic novel coming in November.

Written by show writer Ashly Burch and illustrated by Diigii Daguna, the Adventure Time: Islands original graphic novel stars Bunny Girl (a.k.a. Jo) and is set roughly a thousand years before the current Adventure Time timeline.
Press Release

tumblr_of04v3pMI51t0t09yo1_1280.jpg

Adventure Time: Islands cover by Braden Lamb & Shelli Paroline

Coming this November! ADVENTURE TIME: ISLANDS, an original graphic novel from artist Diigii Daguna and AT writer Ashly Burch. It’s mostly a self-contained story but it will also tie in to our next miniseries.
KingOfOoo

From the sounds of things it's going to directly connect with a Season 8 AT miniseries plot. There was that short season description from several weeks ago when they were hyping up Daddy-Daughter Card Wars:

Season 8 is scheduled to premiere later this year and will follow Finn and Jake to unchartered lands as they seek to answer one of the show’s biggest mysteries, and save all of Ooo from a powerful new threat.

Those uncharted lands could be the "islands" the comic will be focusing on. Possibly the place other humans escaped to to get away from the vampires. Pen Ward did once say long ago that fear of the ocean was the only thing keeping Finn from venturing outside of Ooo.

Psxphile

Small update: zap2it.com now has an airdate (November 26th, on a Saturday no less so not sure if accurate) and synopsis listed for Reboot hidden away on its site. It's a little spoilery if you saw the preview clip for Preboot that CN uploaded a while back as well as at least one of the storyboards shared by the King of Ooo blog so I'm just going to link to it for now:

LINK

Essentially,
it would appear that the 'powerful ally gone rogue' could be Susan Strong.

EDIT: Cartoon Network Turkey's youtube channel has uploaded a preview clip from the episode Reboot. Somewhat spoilery, only serves to prove what was speculated before about the synopsis. However, it's in Turkish so no idea what anyone is saying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqs53_gAiRc

I wonder what the point of having to wait months to see the final episodes of the season is

It's Cartoon Network. Their scheduling is the most slapdash shit in television between week long bombs, month long bombs, months of hiatuses and, very rarely, traditional weekly scheduling...

Amir0x

Banned
I havent seen any episodes in the last season.. got a little disconnected from the last season i saw with the meteor. Kind of bored and want to catch up. I assume no drastic drop in quality?

Psxphile

I wonder what the point of having to wait months to see the final episodes of the season is

They want something new to premiere for the week(end) before Thanksgiving but assumed season 8 episodes wouldn't be ready by then so they withheld the last two episodes of s7 instead. CN gotta CN.

abundant

It's Cartoon Network. Their scheduling is the most slapdash shit in television between week long bombs, month long bombs, months of hiatuses and, very rarely, traditional weekly scheduling...

To be fair, it's not just CN that has absurd schedules. Disney and Nickelodeon have had bad scheduling issues for a lot longer than CN, believe it or not.

IronRinn

I havent seen any episodes in the last season.. got a little disconnected from the last season i saw with the meteor. Kind of bored and want to catch up. I assume no drastic drop in quality?
No. I feel that even people who weren't into the whole meteor storyline have been liking the episodes this season.

Psxphile

Two more articles about the November CN premieres: 1 | 2

Includes official screenshot of... something happening... and the long missing Preboot synopsis:

tumblr_og0n7fJsDo1uwb31io1_540.jpg

Saturday, Nov. 19: “Preboot” –
During an excavation of human artifacts, Finn, Jake and Susan are greeted by a mysterious new stranger who may hold the key to the past.

Saturday, Nov. 19: “Reboot” –
Finn and Jake must take on one of the fiercest enemies they’ve ever faced when a powerful ally goes rogue.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be anymore AT premieres this month.

EDIT: Hm, a Comixology synopsis of the upcoming AT comic mini-series "Islands" seemingly reveals what the rumoured Season 8 Finn-centered miniseries will be about:

Adventure Time: Islands

Ties into the huge Adventure Time: Islands television event, the mini-series airing on Cartoon Network this winter where Finn meets other humans and an important member of his family for the first time. Written by Islands show writer Ashly Burch, this story serves as a prequel to the television event. In the wake of the mushroom war and the vampire infestation, the remaining humans of Ooo have set sail for safer shores. Bunny Girl (aka Jo), who was Marceline’s precocious young friend from the “Stakes” mini-series, is fearful of what dangers await them. Two Bread Tom, her caretaker in Marcy’s absence, does his best to assuage her concerns. But after an attack from a swarm of monstrous sea creatures almost sinks the ship, Jo and the rest of the humans start to fear that it may not be safe anywhere. Luckily, they soon reach a plentiful island populated by another gregarious group of humans and attempt to build a new colony. The humans from Ooo are delighted and finally allow themselves to relax, all except for Jo, whose paranoia is as potent as ever. Her fears are confirmed when a swarm of enormous falcons descend on the settlement and snatch Jo up for dinner. Separated from her tribe, she must brave the dangers of the wild to get back to Two Bread Tom and the rest of the humans, and maybe learn a sense of self­-reliance along the way.

Psxphile

Another Preboot sneak peek has been uploaded to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w43ZAU1T24

Nice callback to Flute Spell. I guess it was permanent.

EDIT: Tom Herpich has put up what I assume is promo art and a foreword:

tumblr_ogno4zlM7D1s4yagho1_1280.jpg

It’s been a long while (about 5 months!), but we’re finally back on the 19th to air our season finale… and then go on hiatus again. But then I think we’ll be back early next year for season 8. Lots of cool stuff coming up, but it’s hard to pick and choose, cuz starting with Preboot and Reboot, everything starts rolling into one big snowball that rolls and rolls all the way to the end, which is what we’re all working on right now. Steve and I are wrapping up our final board EVER, and it’s great- one of my favorites. It feels like we got to put everything we’ve learned up to now into it. A real nice note to end on.

EDIT: It's a little unsettling that we're just days away from the season 7 finale of Adventure Time and CN hasn't aired any bumpers advertising it. Some sneak peeks, title cards and conceptual artworks yes... but all of it online and sporadic. How about letting your main demographics know something's happening this Saturday, CN?

Anyway, apparently there's going to be a Season 8 episode titled "Marcy and Hunson".

Psxphile

tumblr_inline_ogwi61ZkMu1r1okpe_540.png

Hearing from various sources that the Season 7 finale may have been bumped up to 8:00PM instead of 8:30PM. Ain't that some shit. CN, your handling of this has been nothing short of a colossal fuck-up on all fronts. When fans have to go on social websites and mock up their own promos to advertise the show's return you know something is wrong with your approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom