• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 6 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
i think its mostly because the show seems to have moved away from being character based and has moved more into straight up psychedelia

I really like the blend, but I do miss the adventurey episodes that we don't get anymore.

All in all I'm glad the show has evolved and changed tone, and I hope it continues to do so.

Epcott

That was good but...

That
status quo
ending.

Womp womp

So I guess Finn is a god or some eternal entity being reincarnated or some junk.

Crocodile

So at the end of the week

-Princess Bubblegum no longer rules the Candy Kingdom
-Betty is the new "Magic Man"
-Martin is out of the picture

Everything else went nowhere (for now) or was forced back into the status quo (oh Adventure Time......).

Overall it was ok. I'm legit curious where they take Betty. I have no faith the Princess Bubblegum plotline will last or that they can make The King of Ooo an interesting character so whatever - it will be retconned within 3 episodes. With regards to Martin it was interesting they never tried to redeem him but that also meant they ran out of things to do with his character so out the show he goes. Hard to give two shits about Gunther since that plot point was pushed back to the status quo in the span of two episodes.

Steven Bomb was better

Lucario

Orgalorg did not end up being a compelling villain. Why even bother pulling an eldrich abomination out of nowhere if you aren't going to do anything interesting with him? He just got his ass kicked by a grass sword after two episodes. Worst Big Bad of the series.

Extremely disappointing, especially for an episode Jesse Moynihan was involved with. At least the orgalorg arc is over. Hopefully the Betty plotline goes somewhere interesting.

vypek

Somewhat underwhelming. Thought they were going to do something bigger considering the scale of things. The only things that really seem to matter is PB now being a citizen and Betty replacing Magic Man.

ChouGoku

I thought this was going to be like the last few season finales and beginnings. Kind of disappointed I thought orgalorg was a lame villain and now Finn is another Godboy

Luigi87

Not the greatest, but at least we got to see Grass Sword in action again.

Also Martin being listed as scoundrel and Finn finally accepting that there is just no changing him was pretty good.

Jeez, they made Orgalorg so creepy in his intro episode, but then they gave Gunther's brain arms, and then they gave him a voice, and I was done taking him seriously. I know it's kind of a thing of Adventure Time to give mundane voices to important figures, but they seriously had to give a mundane voice to him too?

I thought that Finn would try to appeal to the Gunther inside Orgalorg, since Gunther didn't seem to really like what was happening in "Orgalorg", but nope, the Gunther part was completely irrelevant. As was Sweet Pea dreaming about the comet. And the thorn was used solely as a deus ex machina to easily defeat Orgalorg; if they were going to do something like this, then Finn's Me Sword doing something weird probably would have better tied into the theme of the story. And they brought up Jake's croak dream again only to again pass off the croaking to someone else.

PB being ousted is something, but I fully expect that to be returned to normal soon enough.

It felt like the crew came together and said, "We have to do the part of the Hero's Journey where he is offered enlightenment but rejects it to remain home," and just half-assed the rest.

The Steven Bomb was so much better.

Sadsic

I actually found that pretty fascinating... this is going to be one of those shows people look back on in 10-20 years as an underrated classic i think. there's so much to this not explained that leaves me wanting more

So is Finn the creator of everything? He says it's because he chose to have Banana man show up in his space ship is the reason Jake survived. So is basically everything a joke or game to Finn like the Comet said it was?

Hamlet

I actually found that pretty fascinating... this is going to be one of those shows people look back on in 10-20 years as an underrated classic i think. there's so much to this not explained that leaves me wanting more

Is it really underrated though when it's one of Cartoon Networks biggest and best critically received shows.

Sadsic

Is it really underrated though when it's one of Cartoon Networks biggest and best critically received shows.

i mean, i think it should be taken as serious as something like Mad Men, its basically the prestige drama of western animation right now

vypek

So is Finn the creator of everything? He says it's because he chose to have Banana man show up in his space ship is the reason Jake survived. So is basically everything a joke or game to Finn like the Comet said it was?

I don't think he is meant to be a creator but something like a powerful being reincarnated. They've showed his willpower accomplishing stuff a few times before when he really concentrates.

Clydefrog

oh god. please don't be "it was all the figment of a child's mind" at the end of the series

The week of episodes was neat but I do think the finale was a bit underwhelming.

i mean, i think it should be taken as serious as something like Mad Men, its basically the prestige drama of western animation right now

If we're talking about ongoing storylines in western animation, I think Gravity Falls has it beat at the moment.

KiN0

The week of episodes was neat but I do think the finale was a bit underwhelming.

If we're talking about ongoing storylines in western animation, I think Gravity Falls has it beat at the moment.

If we're talking character drama, I think Steven Universe is on its way to surpassing Adventure Time too.

Servbot24

Banned
This week of episodes was excellent except for The Comet. I don't care if they reset to the status quo - this is a children's cartoon, that's perfectly acceptable to me. But it just wasn't a satisfying ending to me, and there were several off-putting aspects. I liked Finn better when he was just a regular kid rather than some mystical being.

I guess it's possible that reincarnation is a thing for all humans in AT universe.

zeemumu

This week of episodes was excellent except for The Comet. I don't care if they reset to the status quo - this is a children's cartoon, that's perfectly acceptable to me. But it just wasn't a satisfying ending to me, and there were several off-putting aspects. I liked Finn better when he was just a regular kid rather than some mystical being.

I guess it's possible that reincarnation is a thing for all humans in AT universe.

Well Finn was already clarified to be a reincarnated being a while back. I guess they thought it'd be fine to have some of his other reincarnations be plot-sensitive.

I actually kinda liked the episodes. I was fairly happy with the way that they wrapped up Jake's prophetic dream because it meant that while the prophecies are written in stone, there's still a lot that they can mean and they don't have to be straightforward.

Lucario

Yeah, the status quo ending wasn't what bugged me either. The episode just didn't feel like Adventure Time.

I think the problem might've been the heavy exposition, which the show has never been known for, and the writers have explicitly condemned in the past. Orgalorg was the worst offender; we were told exactly what he'd do multiple times before he did it. When he showed up, instead of building on the backstory in his title episode, nearly all of his lines were explaining his motivations.

Show, don't tell.

I didn't really like The Comet. The show is just so unfocused now. I liked it way better when it was just Finn, the Lich, and the dark past of Ooo/Earth. I guess it might be a biproduct of them stretching this show across 7 seasons and constantly having to revert back to the status quo. Maybe its just because Ron Perlman wasnt voicing Orgalorg but he just wasnt very interesting. Also Finn basically being a god was kind of strange, not really sure if I like that. Overall in my opinion shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe are way better at doing what adventure time started.

Tuck

Thinking about it, I did not like The Comet for two big reasons:

1. Everything was resolved completely anti-climactically. The comet, which had been hinted for so long, amounted to nothing meaningful. Don't build something up if you have no intention on making a big splash.

2. They were seemingly trying to be deep and philosophical but in an Adventure Timey sort of way, and the result was an exposition filled mess that did not say anything worth while. Previous finales didn't try to be anything more than fun and exciting.

So in all, I'm really disappointed. The finale was pretty much a total failure for me, which is very unusual for Adventure Time.

EDIT: Reason 3, Orgalorg was a total let down. Thinking about it more, they should have introduced him a long time ago, rather than just a few episodes prior. Feels like he lacks the buildup that The Lich had.

I initially was down on the finale and then last night I went back and watched all of this weeks episodes in order again. I liked it much better after a second watch.

NEO0MJ

EDIT: Reason 3, Orgalorg was a total let down. Thinking about it more, they should have introduced him a long time ago, rather than just a few episodes prior. Feels like he lacks the buildup that The Lich had.

The Lich didn't have much of a build up. While he was mentioned in Billy's song, we only got info on him in his second appearance, which was in the season 2 finale. However they did a much better ob developing him not just in that episode but later as well.

Servbot24

Banned
2. They were seemingly trying to be deep and philosophical but in an Adventure Timey sort of way, and the result was an exposition filled mess that did not say anything worth while. Previous finales didn't try to be anything more than fun and exciting.

This was probably the worst part of it. The dialogue was so straight-forward and blunt. Normally AT does a great job of dropping hints and then cashing in on them seasons later. This was just "Hi, viewers at home! Here's what's going on! Pretty crazy, huh?"

PolishQ

Jesse Moynihan has some interesting things to say about the finale and the upcoming season in his blog here (read the comments): http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=2452

Some of you will be glad to hear that season 7 will have a bigger emphasis on jokes and adventure, now that Finn has embraced his "temporary, material life."

Epcott

I wonder if the comet that brought the first incarnation of Finn the Butterfly was the catalyst comet show in the episode Evergreen?

Probably not. It was green and had horn shapes, so it was probably associated with the Litch (after all the comet did say itself to be an incarnation of it).

KiN0

Jesse Moynihan has some interesting things to say about the finale and the upcoming season in his blog here (read the comments): http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=2452

Some of you will be glad to hear that season 7 will have a bigger emphasis on jokes and adventure, now that Finn has embraced his "temporary, material life."

This does not excite me. The finale raised more questions than it answered yet the writers are going to go back and focus on fun and adventuring. There's always the chance that they will address some of the stuff in the finale, but I'm not holding my breath. I think I'm just going to accept the fact that we'll never get any answers from this show. Oh well, I hope the next season will at least be more entertaining than this one.

Psxphile

tumblr_nplg6udKn51uwb31io1_540.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom