• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! |OT| A Boy and His Dog

It might sound crazy, but I was completely ready to preorder this game until I saw the super bland font and text boxes in a trailer a while back.

My theory was if something as minor as text boxes look so slapdash, that might be pretty indicative of the rest of the game's quality.
You're right, that does sound crazy. ;)

Bururian

Jake learning moves is the best.

CdQze.jpg

ghibli99

I don't even know if this will be good (where are the reviews?), but I had to buy the CE just on principle. It arrives today.

I'm not even done with the first season of the show, but it speaks to me the same way Calvin and Hobbes did when I was younger. I love it so much.

anyone else have their CE delayed by amazon? not shipping until next week :/

edit: it's now "Shipping soon"
I preordered the day it was available :mad:

Picked up a 3DS copy and a DS copy at Toys R Us with their "Buy 2 for $40" deal. Now I've got a copy for me to play this week, and a copy for my sister for Christmas!

Doombear

I don't even know if this will be good (where are the reviews?), but I had to buy the CE just on principle. It arrives today.

I'm not even done with the first season of the show, but it speaks to me the same way Calvin and Hobbes did when I was younger. I love it so much.

This. Exactly. I couldn't be bothered to wait for reviews either. It doesn't help that it is just as much for my daughter as it is for me. I see bloodshed resulting over that stylus, and who will wield it.

frequency

Games Radar 3.5/5

YOU'LL LOVE
  • Hilarious story and dialogue
  • Fun combat
  • Cool nods to retro gaming

YOU'LL HATE
  • The lack of voice acting
  • Awful inventory management
  • Somewhat short length

Joystiq 4/5

If you look at it purely from a gameplay perspective, Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! is an adequate, albeit cookie-cutter Zelda 2 clone. It'd still be worth playing through even without the Adventure Time motif, but the game's tight controls and fantastic boss fights would be forgettable in any other setting.

But, to look at it that way would be to ignore what makes it truly special: This game is as heartwarming and gut-busting as the show, which is to say that it's a magical journey of friendship and punching jerks for fun. Hey Ice King is a potent distillation of everything that makes the cartoon such an uncommon, endearing powerhouse, and out of all the things I assumed this game would be, that was never, ever one of them.

Wow at Joystiq's review. That's awesome. Gameplay is good (if not great) and it really manages to capture the show in the form of a video game. That's what I really wanted out of it. Sounds like Pen working on it really helped a lot.

My collectors edition is out for delivery right now, can't wait to play it over the break.

Would this game be too difficult for my 8 year old daughter? She loves the show, is in 2nd Grade but reads at a 5th Grade Level so the reading wont be an issue.

I am just wondering more about the difficulty.

Doombear

Would this game be too difficult for my 8 year old daughter? She loves the show, is in 2nd Grade but reads at a 5th Grade Level so the reading wont be an issue.

If no one else has thoughts on this, I will be able to give you impressions from my 9 year old daughter in a day or two. Should arrive today and I am sure she will tear into it.

Bururian

If she can do fetch quests without a problem, then it shouldn't be difficult at all. Some of the platforming can only be done with certain moves that you gain as you play. I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem for her.

Really relieved to hear some early positive impressions. I was worried the combat and gameplay would be kind of boring and slow judging by the trailers, but sounds like it's holding up pretty well.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Might be a regional thing, but heads up: the GS I normally go to didn't get enough copies of the LE to fill preorders.

Wasn't just them, either: another GS a few miles away actually called them earlier looking for extra copies, because they were shorted even though they only needed to fill two preorders.

Hopefully this is a local problem and/or more copies are on the way.

Tenck

Went to my local Gamestop and they only had one CE but it was for a preorder. Guess I'll play this game on the 26th..........................

frequency

Kotaku Review - YES

My Two Favorite Things
  • The writing that's perfectly Adventure Time to the point that I can hear the characters in my head.
  • Meeting new characters that I remember from the show.

My Two Least-Favorite Things
  • It's clearly an easy game made accessible for kids.
  • It's not the Adventure Time game I dreamed for. Some of the best characters don't get much screen time, and the map only scratches the surface of the depth of the show.

Tenck

I wonder if this game is really popular, would they do a more fleshed out game. I'd kill for more Adventure time games :p

Rootbeer

Banned
Got my CE today (along with Persona 4 Golden). Both from amazon, so I'm one person who's shipment definitely was not delayed. But I pre-ordered this months ago. Pre-order early and often, you can always cancel at the last minute if you change your mind, guys.

Steelcase is beautiful! Nice stylus, the booklets don't add much but hey it's something extra!

I love the song that plays when you start the game. So far it's fun and any Adventure Time fan will be loving it. Rather easy but that's fine. It's a nice change of pace from the brutal difficulty of ZombiU I've been dealing with this weekend :p

Pixel art is great quality, finn is very emotive and the way he moves and attacks looks wonderful, they've done a great job.

Wish it had more voice acting, guess that's my main complaint. It has some though.

Buy this game guys!!

abrack08

Didn't have a preorder, had to call around a bit but I found a Gamestop nearby that had two CE's left, so I got mine. Pretty much an impulse buy but I'm excited.

Got my order from Amazon today; start menu is pretty fantastic. Like most comedy based games, the jokes are hit and miss, but mostly hits. I only started wandering around the world map, so I just, just started, but it seems like a fun game. I'm not overly worried about low difficulty, since it seems like a game I'd rather just be able to relax and laugh at.

So how exactly do you get the sword? I beat the first boss and I think I've explored the all the currently available parts of the map, but I have no sword...

How casual friendly is this game? My little sister watches the show and is a casual gamer. Was thinking of picking it up for her for Christmas.

So how exactly do you get the sword? I beat the first boss and I think I've explored the all the currently available parts of the map, but I have no sword...

Try going back and talking to some people, even if you've talked to them before...

If I recall correctly - turn the raggedy sock received from the raggedy princess to the recipe guy and he'll give you pie that attracts flies. Go to the town of housies and give the pie to the dog owner to remove the dog's itching. You should end up with another torn page. Talk to the housie that is before the one that gives you the backpack tutorial to analyze the evidence you've collected and tell where your sword is.

Tenck

Makes me sad to hear people already have their copies. Live like 10 minutes from Amazon warehouse, saw a bunch of copies come into the warehouse a couple days ago, and I've had it pre ordered since August 28th.

It should be here on Friday supposedly.........

I got my 3DS CE in the mail today and I've played it about an hour. The game is charming and the controls are responsive. It's very old-school. Some people might find that boring but I love it. The 3D is actually pretty cool (as it is in most 2D layered games). It's basically good fanservice with a serviceable game attached. Exactly what I expected given the game's budget price and WayForward's involvement.

The Gamestop preorder was supposed to come with an AT lanyard but of course I did not get it so I'm trying to follow-up with them.

so basically the adventure time stuff is great and the game part sucks

Who said it sucked? The reviews say the gameplay is fun or adequate at worst. Oh wait, on NeoGAF anything less than great = sucks. There is no middle ground. Not calling you out on that specifically, it's pretty common here.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Reading the reviews is what I had figured. I'm sad about the lack of voice acting. So much of the dialogue is how its expressed.

Game play seems fun and rewarding though so I'm going to pick it up.

*EDIT*

I hope this sells well enough to get them looking at funding an XBLA/PSN title or something.

Gameboy415

I had both versions of the CE waiting for me when I got home from work and played the hell out of the 3DS version until my battery died.

The game is quite easy but is extremely fun with very tight controls and excellent use of 3D!
If you're a fan of the show, you will probably love it! :)

Try going back and talking to some people, even if you've talked to them before...

If I recall correctly - turn the raggedy sock received from the raggedy princess to the recipe guy and he'll give you pie that attracts flies. Go to the town of housies and give the pie to the dog owner to remove the dog's itching. You should end up with another torn page. Talk to the housie that is before the one that gives you the backpack tutorial to analyze the evidence you've collected and tell where your sword is.

Ahhhhh thanks. I got all that stuff, I just need I talk to the last guy. I thought I had, but I guess I missed him.

Top Bottom