• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 7 |OT| *CN walks into devastated fandom w/ new episodes*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

A little late but the title card for Normal Man has been released:

tumblr_o60kb3hRPP1t0t09yo2_1280.png

KingOfOoo

EDIT: and here's a promo image by Sam

Sam Alden

Also a foreword by Sam:

Normal Man is the last ep that jesse moynihan and i did together, and it’s jesse’s last-ever adventure time episode (!). it’s a thematically appropriate cap to his run on AT, and i think we were both happy with how it turned out. jesse contributed massively to the strangeness and mythology of this weird, ambitious tv show and he was a killer board partner. bye jesse

Crocodile

I was wondering why this show seemed to drop off the face of the Earth - apparently it moved to Saturdays?! LOL. So how many episodes have passed between the Marceline week-long special and now?

Psxphile

I was wondering why this show seemed to drop off the face of the Earth - apparently it moved to Saturdays?! LOL. So how many episodes have passed between the Marceline week-long special and now?

It's back on Thursdays now starting today. Oh CN, when will you learn?

Check the OP to see how many episodes have aired since Stakes!. I've been keeping a running tally of every S7 episode aired and those to be aired in the future.

EDIT: a storyboard for Elemental went up, confirmed storyboarders are Kent Osborne and Erik Fountain

KingOfOoo

We know Ice King is involved with this ep, and now it seems
the heirs/decendents of the ancient Elemental forces introduced in Season 6 episode Evergreen are being brought together again
. Interesting!

IronRinn

Episode was beautiful looking, my god.
Yo, for real. I was thinking the same thing while watching it.

I think this season has been firing on all cylinders and this episode was no exception. Loved the mountain. Also loved how they showed but never addressed that the hilt of Finn's sword being all tree'd out, now.

vypek

Yo, for real. I was thinking the same thing while watching it.

I think this season has been firing on all cylinders and this episode was no exception. Loved the mountain. Also loved how they showed but never addressed that the hilt of Finn's sword being all tree'd out, now.

That wasn't an older/different blade altogether?

Psxphile

According to this Instagram post by Sharon Horgan
Susan Strong
will return in a Season 8 episode called 'The Light Cloud' (possibly related to Stakes! conclusion 'The Dark Cloud'?). I mean, it's possible they could make an appearance before then sometime in whatever episodes are left in S7 but we're definitely seeing them in S8 whenever that airs.

Also apparently whomever Sharon is voicing is a pretty big spoiler (and she has two roles credited in the same ep? Mysterious...) and was appropriately blacked out.

Psxphile

Friendly reminder that Elemental airs tonight @ 7:45pm.

Storyboarder Kent Osborne made a special promo vid for the episode. Presumably Lauren will be the voice of the mysterious new character.

EDIT: well that was ominous. Appreciate the lore though! PB's gotta be a little messed up realizing
she was magic the whole time

Right after the episode aired a promo for next week's AT was shown, which will be the rumored Fiona and Cake episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeU1AVraS_Q

zeemumu

That was interesting. Avatar: The Last Airbender would have been a weirder show if those had been the elements.

So Flame Princess was the only one aware of her abilities already. Do you think PB's so crappy with her powers because of her refusal to accept magic?

vypek

That was interesting. Avatar: The Last Airbender would have been a weirder show if those had been the elements.

So Flame Princess was the only one aware of her abilities already. Do you think PB's so crappy with her powers because of her refusal to accept magic?

I could see that being the reason. Slime princess took a knack to it quickly.

Was the Lich being behind the world's end already known?

Yeah, a couple episodes already hinted around the bomb dropping and arrival of the Lich being what changed everything.

One of the episodes in an alternate timeline where Ice King (Simon actually) stopped the bomb never has the Lich appear.

Psxphile

Title card for Five Short Tables released:
KingOfOoo

EDIT: Brief article on Five Short Tables and a preview clip up on EW.com.

Was the Lich being behind the world's end already known?
As already mentioned he was shown to appear after the mutagenic bomb that destroyed human civilization during the waning days of the "Mushroom War" and reintroduced magic to the world was dropped. This was, of course, shown in an alternate timeline where the bomb was kept dormant by a very determined Simon Petrikov. However, it appears the appearance of the Lich and the changes he would bring to the world had been foretold far in advance, and he (or the agent that would manifest as the Lich) was introduced onto the world by a Catalyst Comet that crashed into the planet far in the past (possibly during what we would call the Mesozoic Era, most likely during the time known as the Cretaceous Period which ended with the extinction of the dinosaurs), as shown in the episode Evergreen (the original Gunther was a dinosaur Urgence Evergreen gifted human-like awareness to, I guess because he needed a lackey).

So apparently the Lich has been around for millenia. No idea why he suddenly appeared w/ the dropping of the bomb a thousand years before. We know the Lich is capable of mental manipulation and possession, he could easily have been behind every terrible war in human history as well as the creation of a weapon that would empower him. The show hasn't gone into that so it's all fanon right now.

IronRinn

Friendly reminder that Elemental airs tonight @ 7:45pm.

Storyboarder Kent Osborne made a special promo vid for the episode. Presumably Lauren will be the voice of the mysterious new character.

EDIT: well that was ominous. Appreciate the lore though! PB's gotta be a little messed up realizing
she was magic the whole time
Yeah, I can't see her being stoked about that.

I definitely think this is part of it. Slime Princess, though. Girl is a natural.

Epcott

NPH, Hannibal Burress, and Donald Glover all in the same episode? So this is what dreams are made of! First Fionna episode I've enjoyed in a while.

Zomba13

I don't know why, but I'm so down for fanfiction inside fanfiction inside fanfiction. I want to know more about the ice president.

zeemumu

I laughed harder at that headstone than I should have.

Butterscotch Butler is the best

It's weird hearing Cake talk about flapjacks.

Psxphile

No preview for AT next week. Guess it's hiatus time from here on out. Hopefully the show isn't gone for too long. We have 4 episodes left this season + the fifth Frog Seasons short that never aired.

EDIT: well there's this at least, storyboard for The Music Hole apparently:

KingOfOoo

Guess that means it's going to air next, just waiting on confirmation of a date.

EDIT: This should work.
Adventure Time will return in three weeks (June 23rd!) with The Music Hole.

Also some quick confirmation coming from Adam Muto's twitter that the episode known as Dignified on the leaked S7 episode list is now known as Daddy-Daughter Card Wars (the rumoured Charlie ep that was going to be aired early in Australia). That's another one to look forward to this season, maybe after The Music Hole.

Psxphile

First things first:
tumblr_o8js0lZKj21uwb31io1_540.png

The Music Hole's synopsis has appeared and cemented the June 23rd airing date.

Second:
KhS3YqO.jpg

CN appears to be giving Daddy-Daughter Card Wars a big push with several events to coincide with the episode's release on July 7th including a doubles tournament at SDCC, a new browser game called Card Wars Kingdom, and a DVD compilation of several AT episodes including both Card Wars episodes and an exclusive playing card for the upcoming Card Wars Doubles Tournament version of the popular physical card game (coming in August).

EW article
AWN article

The articles also hint at what's in store for Season 8 of Adventure Time:
Season 8 is scheduled to premiere later this year and will follow Finn and Jake to uncharted lands as they seek to answer one of the show’s biggest mysteries, and save all of Ooo from a powerful new threat.
Both Susan Strong and Finn's biological mother are said to be featured in Season 8, so it might all tie together. Gonna be interesting!

Psxphile

Next week!

tumblr_o8rtjaqijL1t0t09yo2_1280.png

The Music Hole - title card

designed by Andres Salaff

painted by Joy Ang

premieres Thursday June 23rd at 7:30/6:30c on Cartoon Network

KingOfOoo

Finn has the Finn sword with him. :eek:
And why is Susan Strong there too? Man, what is going on... and here I thought this episode was going to Marceline-centered.

I think fans would do well to always remember that this is a children's cartoon with crossover appeal rather than a serial drama.

No it wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with holding something to a higher standard just because its a "children's" cartoon. Especially when plenty of of them do hold themselves to such standards and do just as well(if not better) then adventure time.

Tuck

I think fans would do well to always remember that this is a children's cartoon with crossover appeal rather than a serial drama.

No.

I will hold this series up to the standard of quality that I expect from it. The very standard it has set for itself over 7 seasons.

Second, the writers don't get to have it both ways. If they want to make it episodic, thats fine. But if they go out of their way to build up a plotline over the course of an entire fucking season, they'd better be damn sure that there was a good reason for doing so.

Third, as the post above me has said, there is absolutely no reason to hold children's shows to a lower standard of quality. There are plenty of examples of high quality children's shows. Including, for that matter, this one. I wish people would stop spouting this nonsense excuse as a way to curtail criticism from shows that skew to a younger audience.

Season 8 is scheduled to premiere later this year and will follow Finn and Jake to uncharted lands as they seek to answer one of the show’s biggest mysteries, and save all of Ooo from a powerful new threat.

Honestly this shit is so vague that you could use it to describe any of the previous 7 seasons of the show.

I'm watching episodes to catch up and you know...

...the Lich is fucking scary. Like, I'm watching Escape from the Citadel and when the last vestige of Billy sloughs off and he just says "Fall" and the background goes black and Finn and Jake just topple over...

...like, he's really just intimidating as fuck.

Also, I like the slow progression of Peebs as a character turning her into kinda a cold bitch.

Edit: LOL I say that after she lets Finn punch her in the face to work out his revenge stuff. Still, I do like the overall edge her character has had as the seasons progress. She's pretty emotionally...messed up.

Psxphile

Yeah, I was just about to update with that and the promo image from the new storyboarder:

tumblr_o97ad7a0Jm1rzbpp3o1_1280.png

tumblr_o97ad7a0Jm1rzbpp3o2_1280.png

The Music Hole, an Adventure Time episode I boarded with @andressalaff premieres tomorrow night, Thursday June 23rd at 7:30/6:30c on Cartoon Network

Feat. music from @whoismitski and many others! Plus some special animation from @juliasrednicki and Erik Fountain! Check it out!

Polly Guo

I've never heard of Mitski but I'm looking forward to what she brings to the episode. Remember everyone, new episode tonight!

Psxphile

Hm, I don't think the episode delivered on the hype it seemed to promise. It was nice, but I guess I was expecting a little more from everyone involved. Also definitely wasn't expecting a sentient hole in the ground being the source of the mystery music. At that point the episode seemed like a retread of The Comet with this ancient existence talking to Finn about love and loss. Seems like an odd thing to introduce, perhaps it'll factor in during the season finale.

I will admit to laughing out loud when Ice King unleashed the Gunters on the audience. And although the situation with Finn Sword hasn't been dealt with fully at least some progress was made towards a resolution with it reacting to the music, so at least we know it ain't dead even if Finn doesn't. And Finn finally got past his funk.

Songs were good too, but they kinda got overshadowed I feel.

Looks like we got a storyboard image for next week's the next episode in two weeks:

tumblr_o992psd4zX1t0t09yo1_1280.png

Daddy-Daughter Card Wars premieres Thursday, July 7th on Cartoon Network

KingOfOoo

IronRinn

I liked this episode, even though, yeah, it wasn't particularly revelatory.

Ice King/Gunter crowd control was great. Also loved the entire intro with the waffles and I continue to love what they're doing with PB's outfits. Don't know what inspired them to start doing new stuff with her wardrobe, but it's great. Music was also good. I love that Marceline has Death in her band.

I'm interested to see where they're going with the Finn Sword. Also, has Ashley Eriksson appeared in an episode before (besides her song over the credits)?

Psxphile

Also, has Ashley Eriksson appeared in an episode before (besides her song over the credits)?

From the episode reactions I've been reading, doesn't seem like it. Maybe a background voice, but nothing significant enough for an exclusive voiced-by credit.

Part of my dissatisfaction, and I admit I did it to myself so I only have myself to blame, is realizing who she was and hoping the writers would find a way to incorporate The Island Song as part of the narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df-XFM3JK2I

Also, for what it's worth, A.V. Club gave the episode a B+. A fairly positive review overall, and made some good points I have to agree with in hindsight.

I was a little surprised Marceline was doing a straight up cover of Francis Forever by Mitski, I sort of thought it was going to be something written specifically for the show.

IronRinn

From the episode reactions I've been reading, doesn't seem like it. Maybe a background voice, but nothing significant enough for an exclusive voiced-by credit.

Part of my dissatisfaction, and I admit I did it to myself so I only have myself to blame, is realizing who she was and hoping the writers would find a way to incorporate The Island Song as part of the narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df-XFM3JK2I

Also, for what it's worth, A.V. Club gave the episode a B+. A fairly positive review overall, and made some good points I have to agree with in hindsight.
Hey, they gave it an A! Also, shit, no more Adventure Time reviews. That sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom