• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! |OT| A Boy and His Dog

RM8

I'm not sure I have the strenght required to avoid buying this game soon-ish. I'm sure objectively it's not worth the price, yet I want to play it so much. I hate when this happens.

Skilletor

I'm not sure I have the strenght required to avoid buying this game soon-ish. I'm sure objectively it's not worth the price, yet I want to play it so much. I hate when this happens.

If you like Adventure Time, I say buy it. Just realize you'll be playing it more for the writing than the gameplay. :/

Het_Nkik

Yeah, the writing and just general feel of the show is so good you might not even realize there's not much to the game until after an hour or so.

I actually have a friend who doesn't watch the show who enjoyed the game just for the dialog and characters and scenarios and music and such. Got him to start watching the show. So all that stuff is really good and helps elevate a not great game to an at least enjoyable game, I think.

Like, when I finished it I definitely enjoyed it. But the reason WHY I enjoyed it wasn't because of the game design.

Kade

Just finished it in ~3 hours. What a disappointment. Really glad I borrowed it instead of buying the CE.

ryushe

Just finished the game in roughly 6 hours. Despite it largely consisting of fetch quest, I enjoyed it a great deal. And when you think about, almost every game is a fetch quest simulator :p

If I had one complaint, it be the loot management. It's pretty bad... No, it's not even bad, just the fact I can't organize my items automatically drove me insane.

I also just finished this game tonight in pretty much one sitting (started this morning and finished tonight). Though I was a little worried about the game after hearing some impressions I absolutely loved it from beginning to end. The length was perfect for my play style, the Zelda 2 design was a perfect fit, and though there weren't many tracks I thought the music was a definite highlight. I'll play this again for sure.

ryushe

though there weren't many tracks I thought the music was a definite highlight.
Dat overworld theme...

Now thinking about it, other than Zelda II, this game remind anyone of the Darkwing Duck/Ducktales games? Don't know why, just flashed back to those two game multiple times as I played AT.

Really enjoyed this even though it was a bit short, I felt it was a perfect lgenth. "Feast...fight....BE MANLY!!" That killed me!

Finished the game, took me 5 hours. Petty fun.

Feast! Fight! Be manly!

Edit: heh, didn't even see the post right above mine, just clicked on the thread and hit reply.

watershed

Banned
I just tried the demo for this off the eshop and it was pretty good. The game seems very simple but the layered graphics are nice, the music is fun, and the simple mechanics felt satisfying even if they are a little stiff. The demo was much funner than the Epic Mickey one. With the $30 price tag I am tempted to make this my next purchase. Now I'm gonna read through this thread to help me decide.

I was able to snatch up a CE of AT:HIKWYSOG but it was for the DS, not the 3DS. I'm still trying to nab a 3DS version. Should I continue trying to look for the 3DS version or just stick with the DS version?

*edit*

Just got in contact with my local GS and they getting a copy of the 3DS CE transferred for me. Mathematical!

Played, beat it in a few days. Felt like it was great AT fun, but not enough real actual game. Felt like a cash-in, nothing more.

It's cute, but I haven't and won't recommend it to anyone since it's so short. Unless I'm missing something.

Dwayne

There's a PAL release of this game now available in Australia and NZ exclusive to EBGames. Unfortunately it's the DS version with no sign of the 3DS version coming. It's priced okay, $48 NZD.

john tv

Finished the DS version. Was at 99% at the end. I missed a level-up somewhere.

Simple and fun, and the length didn't bother me at all (in fact, I like games relatively short like this). The sound quality on the DS is horrific, but maybe it's better on 3DS? Dunno. Sounded like everything was being filtered through a tin can.

Last boss spoiler:
Well, not really a spoiler. Just wanted to say that the final final battle kicked ass. :D

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Liked the demo quite a bit, really disappointed at the length and uselessness of acquired abilities though. Might bite if it was half the price, but as it is right now, the demo is enough.

fernoca

Best Buy had this (3DS) yesterday for $19.99 online/in-stor; as part of their one-day deal.

Seems Amazon recently price-matched it, so..those on the fence and waiting for the $19.99-price, might jump in...I did. :p

Very late bump, but I'm about 80% into the game, and loving it so much. I never played Zelda II, but now I would give it a chance if it is as good as this game. I love the graphics style, the music (with headphones on), and it looks beautiful in 3D. Disappointed by the length, and don't want to see the game end.

That said, is there any talk/forward movement for a sequel? That would be mathematical indeed.

CorvoSol

Hey how do you get past the gray walls in the overworld? I forget.

Make Jake super fat and sit on 'em. Sometimes you have to back away a little for the button prompt to appear.

So I beat this game, and while I liked it a lot, I kind of was surprised to get the
Flaming Sword instead of Dad's Sword.

Top Bottom