• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! |OT| A Boy and His Dog

The_Walrus

Neo Member
I just beat the game in one sitting, my log says I've played for 4 hours 53 minutes. I loved the game, but I love the show so maybe that helps my opinion of it.
The last boss/ending are great, it was surprising too haha. As the credits finished and "The End" came on the screen, there was a picture of Fionna and Cake. I don't know if it meant anything, but there is a new game plus. I started new game plus and it was still Finn and Jake, but maybe there's a way to switch?

Sorry, let me fix that. There's text on the back of the box that is Spanish. The manual is only in English and French. The manual however is almost nonexistent except to tell you what the buttons do.
Dang

Can somebody with the game please change the console language to spanish and tell me if the game is in spanish?

Thanks!

My impressions of the game after playing for an hour: They nailed the characters and dialog, excellent stuff. The graphics are nice. The music is unique and awesome. The game is very easy so far. It seems like it will be very short, considering I'm already in the second quarter of the world map. So basically, Adventure Time aesthetics are elevating an average licensed game up above shovelware level. (but the graphics and music are awesome, well beyond shovelware. I'm more referring to the pedestrian gameplay and snore-inducing level design)

Tenck

Looking through Amazon, it looks like they finally added the option to buy CE from 3rd party sellers. The catch? Got to pay 57-89 for a copy. Hate people who do that.

Shadders

Anyone know if this is going to see a UK/EU release?

I assumed it would come out over here so didn't pre-order the CE from Amazon US, but there's no sign of it anywhere over here. :(

And if it's not coming out, the US version will work on a PAL 3DS, right?

frequency

Anyone know if this is going to see a UK/EU release?

I assumed it would come out over here so didn't pre-order the CE from Amazon US, but there's no sign of it anywhere over here. :(

And if it's not coming out, the US version will work on a PAL 3DS, right?

No news of a UK/EU release.

And no, it will not work. The 3DS is region locked.

Acrylic7

I just beat the game in one sitting, my log says I've played for 4 hours 53 minutes. I loved the game, but I love the show so maybe that helps my opinion of it.
The last boss/ending are great, it was surprising too haha. As the credits finished and "The End" came on the screen, there was a picture of Fionna and Cake. I don't know if it meant anything, but there is a new game plus. I started new game plus and it was still Finn and Jake, but maybe there's a way to switch?

so just 4-5 hours:(

I hope that Ward is looking at this and I hope he proposes a proper Adventure Time game, with full voice-acting and environments.

game screams RPG.

I haven't seen potential wasted this bad since Pokemon :/

Tenck

Walked out to get a drink of water and my mom left the package at my door. BEST SURPRISE EVER!

Played for an hour, and was really enjoying my time. I don't know how you guys say you've finished it in 4 hours when an hour into the game I just beat the first boss :eek:

About to enter the second dungeon, and still enjoying the game. Was really tired after getting home from work, and its the perfect kind of game to lie back in bed and play for a bit. Definitely cruising through the game pretty quickly though.

Salsa

should be getting this tomorrow

needs to fucking get here already

∩_____∩
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

jackal27

Banned
Looks like this may be another case of Aliens: Infestion. A game that I loved... for 2 days until I finished it. I think I'll give this one a rent and plow through it.

Tenck

I was rapidly going through the text because I was playing Natural Selection 2 and chatting with some friends, and missed what Princess Bubble gum said after I talked to her. Was something about the Ice King. Can anyone help?

Well, just beat the game. 3DS Activity Log clocked in at 4:39, but there was some downtime, so it was probably closer to 4:15 - 4:30. I unlocked all the power ups and finished at 100%.

Final impressions:

The game oozes with charm and WayForward once again did some great work with animation and capturing the essence of the license. However, similar to Aliens, the game slowly breaks down towards the end. There's a lot of backtracking, and unlike a Zelda II or Super Metroid, the game design isn't strong enough to justify the backtracking, and instead, the item/fetch quests seem to exist just to extend the gameplay. I feel like they were on the verge of making something truly special, but it falls just short.

Post-game reward spoilers:
The game does offer a New Game +, where you retain your loot and power ups. As far as I can tell, there's no increased difficulty, so it doesn't really give much motivation to play again, especially considering that near the end of the game, my loot bag was always overflowing.

It's not a terrible game by any means, and fans of the show will definitely find more enjoyment. I thought it was a fun journey, and perfect for casual play, but I also used Amazon rewards points to get it, so I could see where others might regret it if they spend 40 bucks on it.
I was rapidly going through the text because I was playing Natural Selection 2 and chatting with some friends, and missed what Princess Bubble gum said after I talked to her. Was something about the Ice King. Can anyone help?

What part are you at? Will try to remember if I can.

So it's merely an above-average game that uses its license well, with some good ideas that are half-assed in the execution? Sounds like Aliens Infestation to me.

Tenck

Well, just beat the game. 3DS Activity Log clocked in at 4:39, but there was some downtime, so it was probably closer to 4:15 - 4:30. I unlocked all the power ups and finished at 100%.

Final impressions:

The game oozes with charm and WayForward once again did some great work with animation and capturing the essence of the license. However, similar to Aliens, the game slowly breaks down towards the end. There's a lot of backtracking, and unlike a Zelda II or Super Metroid, the game design isn't strong enough to justify the backtracking, and instead, the item/fetch quests seem to exist just to extend the gameplay. I feel like they were on the verge of making something truly special, but it falls just short.

Post-game reward spoilers:
The game does offer a New Game +, where you retain your loot and power ups. As far as I can tell, there's no increased difficulty, so it doesn't really give much motivation to play again, especially considering that near the end of the game, my loot bag was always overflowing.

It's not a terrible game by any means, and fans of the show will definitely find more enjoyment. I thought it was a fun journey, and perfect for casual play, but I also used Amazon rewards points to get it, so I could see where others might regret it if they spend 40 bucks on it.

What part are you at? Will try to remember if I can.

When she upgraded BMO. I found out what she said after fighting him :p

So it's merely an above-average game that uses its license well, with some good ideas that are half-assed in the execution? Sounds like Aliens Infestation to me.

I did enjoy this slightly more than Infestation, but pretty much. It's still better than what a lot of licensed games end up getting though. I wish WayForward was able to work on more of their own creations or spend more time in development. The Shantae games are much tighter with stronger design decisions, so I think they get held back some times when working on these licensed games.

TheChits

Well I wound up getting my copy from amazon today even though they didn't say they shipped it until...today haha. Now I just need a 3ds to play all these games :(

Coconut

Banned
so just 4-5 hours:(

I hope that Ward is looking at this and I hope he proposes a proper Adventure Time game, with full voice-acting and environments.

game screams RPG.

I haven't seen potential wasted this bad since Pokemon :/

I remember him talking about the kind of game he'd like adventure time to be the two things that stuck out to me were wind waker graphics and a Skyrim like open world.

So now at 3:20 and 89% done.....this game is a TERRIBLE value for the money...and yet....I find it addictive and it does justice to the licence and the graphics and music are delicious. I recommend it if you can handle the fact that it is so short (to contrast with Epic Mickey Power of Illusion, which was short and crappy and I was happy it was over at the 3 hour mark, ATHIKWYSOG is the kind of game you wish had 8 worlds instead of 4 because there are some good ideas and it seems like it was cut short)

I remember him talking about the kind of game he'd like adventure time to be the two things that stuck out to me were wind waker graphics and a Skyrim like open world.

This. I really hope this game was just the (humble) beginning for Adventure time. There is so much potential, and it's just begging to be a video game masterpiece.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, I'm relieved that I decided to go through with my pre-order of the CE. Game is short and not very difficult but it does everything else very right. It's a great companion to the series and they'd better make more games, dammit!

(also, please make better merchandise. Jazwares sucks)

Y'alls brains are ridonky donk. This game is so mediocre it hurts. I've been pretty supremely disappointed. The writing, the art, and the music are all great, but it's such a bore to play. Considering that I love both Adventure Time and WayForward's A Boy and His Blob, this game has been a complete let down.

I'm playing it just to finish it at this point. I don't even fight anything any more since none of the enemies are actually obstacles. You can just jump over all of them.

Tenck

The charm is enough to get me to finish it. I just wish I didn't have to back track so much. Makes it so boring to be honest. Other than that, no real complaints. Difficulty is what I expected, writing is not that bad, and the quests so far have been funny. Enough to get me to finish and still enjoy it.

Sadist

I enjoyed Infestation, guess I'll like this one as well.

If it ever comes to Europe. I need me some Mathmatical action :(

Skilletor

Y'alls brains are ridonky donk. This game is so mediocre it hurts. I've been pretty supremely disappointed. The writing, the art, and the music are all great, but it's such a bore to play. Considering that I love both Adventure Time and WayForward's A Boy and His Blob, this game has been a complete let down.

I'm playing it just to finish it at this point. I don't even fight anything any more since none of the enemies are actually obstacles. You can just jump over all of them.

I agree. It's just running back and forth with no level design to speak of. The Adventure Time is great, but the game isn't. Also, some shit just doesn't make sense and left me wandering for no reason.

Definitely a wasted opportunity.

You guys are being way harsh. Yes it was short (I finished it in 5 hours) and yes it was easy (I only died a couple times) but I enjoyed it.

Has anyone tried New Game +? Do you start with all your stuff or is it just more difficult?

Izick

So is this good or what? I want to give this to somebody as a Christmas present, but I'm never going to give a bad or meh game.

Skilletor

It's a good game. People for some reason expected to be a godlike GOTY contender. Buy it.

It's not a good game. You literally run back and forth doing fetch quests. There is little to no level design to speak of. The dungeons are super boring. No puzzles, no challenging platforming, no difficult enemies, no cool boss battles. There is no challenge to the enemies. Traversal is super boring, and yet you spend almost the entirety of the game going back from one area to another getting items. The only thing going for it is the license.

I never expected a GOTY contender. I expected a competent game. It failed at that.

The writing is awesome, though.

So is this good or what? I want to give this to somebody as a Christmas present, but I'm never going to give a bad or meh game.

It's good if you love Adventure Time. The license carries an otherwise mediocre game.

I don't remember much of Zelda 2, so I can't comment on how it compares. (I haven't played it since I was like...10, haha.)

TheLight

It's not a good game. You literally run back and forth doing fetch quests. There is little to no level design to speak of. The dungeons are super boring. No puzzles, no challenging platforming, no difficult enemies, no cool boss battles. There is no challenge to the enemies. Traversal is super boring, and yet you spend almost the entirety of the game going back from one area to another getting items. The only thing going for it is the license.

I never expected a GOTY contender. I expected a competent game. It failed at that.

The writing is awesome, though.

It IS a good game. As you said the license does carry but everything else compliments the license. So if you do love Adventure Time The back tracking wouldn't bother you as much. And with the type of game this is, expecting difficulty is your own problem. It's a fan service game for a show MEANT for like 7-13 yr old. Everything else you mentioned is opinionated.

You're right though, if you love AT this is your game. If no I would pass on it.

RM8

I guess I'm not getting it after all. Maybe when it's cheaper, along with Power of Illusion as the duo of amazing looking games that failed to deliver :/

Skilletor

It IS a good game. As you said the license does carry but everything else compliments the license. So if you do love Adventure Time The back tracking wouldn't bother you as much. And with the type of game this is, expecting difficulty is your own problem. It's a fan service game for a show MEANT for like 7-13 yr old. Everything else you mentioned is opinionated.

You're right though, if you love AT this is your game. If no I would pass on it.

What does Adventure Time have to do with back tracking? Pretty sure I've never seen them have to walk through the same few areas multiple times just to complete a quest. Over and over and over and over and over again.

Quality of a game is always going to be opinion. I'm giving mine. You're giving yours. You saying it's a GOOD game isn't any more or less valid than my opinion that it's a mediocre game attached to an amazing license.

Adventure Time is a show MEANT for 7-13 year olds, but it's possible to appeal to all age groups.

Just like the show.

And, you know, lots of other games.

TheLight

What does Adventure Time have to do with back tracking? Pretty sure I've never seen them have to walk through the same few areas multiple times just to complete a quest. Over and over and over and over and over again.

And yes, it's all going to be opinion. I'm giving mine. You're giving yours. You saying it's a GOOD game isn't any more or less valid than my opinion that it's a mediocre game attached to an amazing license.

And Adventure Time is a show MEANT for 7-13 year olds, but it's possible to appeal to all age groups.

Just like the show.

And, you know, lots of other games.

I was saying that the game is AT so fans of the series that buy and play this game probably won't mind backtracking that much, thats all.

But I'm pretty sure that's where the difficulty aspect I talked about comes in. It shouldn't be that hard because at its core, it's still a kids game. I get you like more challenging games but looking for one in a CARTOON Network licensed game wasn't smart.

Skilletor

I was saying that the game is AT so fans of the series that buy and play this game probably won't mind backtracking that much, thats all.

But I'm pretty sure that's where the difficulty aspect I talked about comes in. It shouldn't be that hard because at its core, it's still a kids game. I get you like more challenging games but looking for one in a CARTOON Network licensed game wasn't smart.

I could handle the lack of difficulty if the levels were interesting. They're not. The Adventure Time world is amazing and full of interesting locales, but for both the transition areas and the random battles, they all feel the same with a slightly different backdrop. All you're ever doing is moving left to right. There aren't any different paths, no exploration of any kind, no sense of ADVENTURE in my ADVENTURE TIME game.

I don't see what's wrong with enemies offering some sort of challenge with the amount of items you get to regenerate health. Or having enemies that you need to use different tactics to defeat. Or enemies that you need to defeat with a special item. Or enemies that you can't just jump over to continue on, making them nothing more than a gap to jump over.

It's not challenge. It's about having a reason for the enemies to be there in the first place.

No need to start insulting people. :)

I bought the game because I thought it would do justice to the license. It represents the characters very well, but not the world in which they live.

Top Bottom