• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Also the AFL are doing a free 4-week trial of the AFL Live Pass app using the code "NAB2015".

You'll need to put in a credit card as it chooses the weekly $4.99 setup as the fallback after your 4-week trial is up.

https://id.afl.com.au/livepass

Live is still only for smartphones and tablets, with match replays and afl.tv available on PC as well.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
No thoughts on tonight's game? I only caught the end so I basically saw nothing.

I was curious how Varcoe, Greenwood and Frawley all went.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
No thoughts on tonight's game? I only caught the end so I basically saw nothing.

I was curious how Varcoe, Greenwood and Frawley all went.

Greenwood looked good, Varcoe was quick but didnt do too much.
It was clear Collingwood wanted to win, while Hawthorn seemed to just be going through the motions.
Frawley was awful though, he'll need time to learn how a Hawk plays.

oipic

Greenwood had a good hit out I thought.

The Pies landing Greenwood will turn out to be a very shrewd bit of recruiting, I reckon - he's a good fit, and even if not top-tier, he has the tools to be an important component of their on-ball division. The other Pies mids will like having him around, and should benefit. A good move for him too, can see it working out well for everyone (well, except perhaps North Melbourne!).

The Pies landing Greenwood will turn out to be a very shrewd bit of recruiting, I reckon - he's a good fit, and even if not top-tier, he has the tools to be an important component of their on-ball division. The other Pies mids will like having him around, and should benefit. A good move for him too, can see it working out well for everyone (well, except perhaps North Melbourne!).

I certainly hope so. After losing Beams our experience has dropped a heap in the midfield.

How are North Melbourne supposed to do this year?

As an American, I randomly chose them to support a couple years ago... they also had an American, I think, in their lower ranks, but I don't know if that's still a thing.

How are North Melbourne supposed to do this year?

As an American, I randomly chose them to support a couple years ago... they also had an American, I think, in their lower ranks, but I don't know if that's still a thing.

They still have Eric Wallace on their rookie list, though I doubt he'll ever play.

Hahah, I know an elderly couple that are really really really into the Swans. To the point that everything in their house is red. They have red cars with Swan related license plates and swan planters around that house.

At first I didn't notice it...then I started to realize that they had based their whole lives and surroundings after them.

For that reason, I don't think I could pick them :)
Go for Port Power just because. Even if you don't I won't be terribly upset unless you choose Collingwood instead.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible news about Mackenzie's ACL and also Libba going down with a knee today too.

Yeah, poor guys. Still early days yet and already out for the season. Must be heartbreaking. Also saw earlier that Petracca for Melbourne was in the same boat.

Edit: Fairly happy with what I saw from the Geelong game.
Mostly watched to see what our kids and new players were like.

Random thoughts:
Bartel and Kelly stood out from the seniors.
Mitch Clark looked really rusty, fumbling everything that came near him but kept trying and got himself 2 goals in the last quarter.
Our young kids (1-2 year players) Lang, Cockatoo and Gregson I was really impressed with. Cockatoo was quiet early but got himself in the game later on and showed very brief glimpses of something more.

Sadly though, it felt like you could take most of what we had learnt last year and apply it to this year. Beaten soundly in clearences, the ruck and contested footy for a couple of the quarters again. Seemed to work ourselves into trouble constantly much like last year. Also felt like the same players struggled to make an impact despite them being in the system another year. No one really stood up out of the regulars who hasn't already. It was also the same players who seemed to be the ones that were keeping us in the game with the exception of Lang who didn't look out of place and will hopefully get more game time.
The only really big change that I saw was our forward line. Hawkins looked strong and dominant when he got near the ball and with a bit more game time into Clark that should make the most change from what we had last year.

Saad from the Gold Coast looked really impressive. Looked to have a lot of pace and regularly burnt off players with ease.

jambo

Gotta love that Crows last quarter fade out.

Still waiting for Ports first game, another week away =

Omikron

So. Senior essendon players met with the afl ceo at his house. They didn't discuss the tribunal / drugs situation...

jambo

So. Senior essendon players met with the afl ceo at his house. They didn't discuss the tribunal / drugs situation...

OljVmsy.gif

jambo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-05/afl-announces-pride-match

6hvn1W9.jpg

THE SYDNEY Swans and Fremantle will compete in the AFL's first pride match next weekend after the League was approached to introduce the concept and celebrate diversity.

Major sponsor NAB last year spoke to the AFL about using the NAB Challenge to raise awareness of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex community and prevent homophobia.

The AFL has nominated the pre-season game between the Swans and Dockers on Sunday, March 15 at Drummoyne Oval in Western Sydney, as the first AFL-sanctioned match to stand for the cause.

Hopefully this leads to a Pride Round during the proper season, and not just during an un-televised NAB Challenge match.

Grug

Sup ya'll. Just checking in with our ridiculously good midfield.
BmgrPd0.jpg

041217-c146ead4-917f-11e4-aad2-57eb5c41c31e.jpg

Just need a forward line now... [/cringe]

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Not a great night for Freo by the sounds of it

INJURIES to Paul Duffield, Michael Barlow and David Mundy have soured Fremantle's hard-fought 18-point win over an impressive Melbourne outfit at Fremantle Oval on Thursday afternoon.

Duffield's injury appeared the most serious. The veteran defender had to be helped from the ground in the last quarter while clutching his left arm. He immediately walked slowly to the rooms with the club doctor.

Michael Barlow was subbed at three-quarter time due to a right ankle injury he appeared to sustain in the first half. David Mundy was subbed out in the last quarter and had ice applied to his left foot. Both looked in good spirits after the win.

Hopefully they're all OK.

I didn't see any of the game, will try catch a replay tonight or tomorrow, but sounds like there are some positive signs for Melbourne. Fingers crossed they have a much better year than the last few.

Grug

Locking up Jeremy Cameron on a long term deal is huge for GWS. I was hopeful Brisbane would make a big play for him... Dang.

Grug

Good test of Brisbane's midfield against the class of the Swans tonight. Should be interesting.

jambo

jgq1C7Q.jpg

Crows and Power to share an extra $10m in revenue over three seasons under new Adelaide Oval deal

The AFL predicts its two SA clubs will share more than $10 million in extra revenue over three season from the revised financial deal for Adelaide Oval.

The league has announced that Adelaide and Port Adelaide have reached a new agreement with the SANFL for revenue sharing at the venue.

The redeveloped Adelaide Oval was a massive win for the AFL last year, but the two clubs quickly became unhappy with their financial returns.

One of the conditions of their stadium deals was that they would be reviewed after the first season.

The AFL said the revised arrangement means they will share an estimated extra $3.1m this year, rising to $4.1m per season in 2016 and 2017.

So happy they finally worked this shit out, was pretty terrible for both clubs in the inaugural season.

Yep, definitely, especially considering the average crowd numbers when compared to Footy Park (even more especially for Port games). Port v Carlton last year was a pretty fantastic atmosphere.

First the cricket and now the crows, youre alright with me HP.

Arwwk, arwwk!

(Supposed to be the sound of the crow squawk played at the ground after crows goals)

Haha. Cheers. I'm a total sports nut (even playing a Champions League rerun in the background as we speak), so coming to Australia has been dreamy in terms of new teams. Cricket and AFL are sooooo good.

And I actually live in Essendon, but I'll be reserving my voodoo eye to aid the Crows since that's our other-home team. Carn, you Crows!

First the cricket and now the crows, youre alright with me HP.

Arwwk, arwwk!

(Supposed to be the sound of the crow squawk played at the ground after crows goals)
That sound is deafening when you're up in the Southern stands.

PS: It sounds more like FARK FARK

That sound is deafening when you're up in the Southern stands.

PS: It sounds more like FARK FARK

Haha, I'm no James Joyce writing down sounds!

I have never sta in the southern stand for football, only cricket. The afl games I went to last year were in the eastern stand on the wing in the middle teir - great seats. It's a great place to watch afl compared to footy park, that is for sure.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I'm well and truly ready for this season to get underway. NAB was even less interesting than normal.

Since there's only another week or so to go may as well get the people who are interested in being apart of the tipping comp to start signing up.
Anyone is welcome to join and encouraged to. Last year's comp was pretty fun mostly because of the larger turnout we had.

GAF AFL TIPPING COMP:
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/believe
Password is legend166

There's also the possibility of a fantasy comp, which I won't be apart of (I'd be terrible at it), so if you could let people know here whether you're keen or not and then with enough interest it can then be decided on whether it goes ahead.

GAF AFL DREAM TEAM:
http://fantasy.afl.com.au/
Are we going to do this in 2015? You decide.

Also, don't forget about Ydahs' great http://dream-stats.com/ site for all your Dream Team / Supercoach needs.

jambo

With the Foxtel exclusivity it really hasn't felt like AFL is back yet.

Can't wait for the season proper, hoping we can go Top 4!

AxeMan

I like that channel 7 uses a fan running a finger across his throat in the promo.

If it's good enough for Sheedy....
597853-kevin-sheedy.jpg

In all seriousness the AFL lacks credibility in the advertising stakes. They constantly use clips of hits to promote the game that in reality they are trying to eradicate

I'm going to miss out on Port v Sydney at home in a couple of weeks which I'm devo'd about. Looking to get to a few more games this year and can't wait for the season proper to start. As has been mentioned, with no NAB on the tele I haven't even really been able to follow much of any of the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom