• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After E3, how do you feel about the future of VR?

Before E3 I said VR was just another gimmick, after E3 I'm certain of it.

Haha. I just love posts like this. They are so condescending. Why can't you understand that for many VR users it's already much more than a gimmick. It is an absolutely new and immersive way to play games. I don't even play regular games anymore. I'm all VR or nothing. So for you to sit there and say it's a gimmick, it's just uneducated and insulting. Now whether VR will survive and whether it will sell that's another story. But there are MANY of us that absolutely love VR.

cakefoo

In these pre-mass-market-friendly VR days, seeing the Vive software on Steam and throughout the indie VR dev communities quietly evolve in near-realtime on a daily basis reassures me that VR is headed in the right direction.

Seeing PSVR get continued support from first and third party devs is also reassuring for the VR market as a whole.

Sony needs to come up with a solution asap to the artificial snap turns and Move's restricted locomotion options, and the Vive needs a pricedrop and a reveal of the 3 games Valve's working on.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
There are mostly two kinds of people.

people who really LOVE VR
people who hate the fact that those people love VR.

Yeah, we skeptical hate anyone who loves VR. My brain just goes on fire whenever i see one, gotta restrain myself or there will be punches flying

Maligna

Banned
C'mon y'all. There are a ton of great longform games available in VR out there, and this E3 saw a commitment to that space between the Bethesda games and new games like Moss.

Don't bother. They have this in their head and a silly little thing like evidence can't change their minds.

Yeah, we skeptical hate anyone who loves VR. My brain just goes on fire whenever i see one, gotta restrain myself or there will be punches flying

Even adding a /S to what you said wouldn't make it any less true.

The person you quoted is 100% right, most people either love VR or hate that other people love it.

I believe you. That's what I said.

On a more serious note, if I hate or don't like something, I am not all day inside every thread that has its name in the title, to write how garbage it is.
I just don't open the thread.

I am not speaking about you. I don't know you. But hate for VR is insane.

majik13

feeling very good about VR, think its definitely the future(especially after playing Farpoint, RE7 and Star Trek), but needs more time and work before it has mass appeal.

Seems every day we are seeing more and more games announced regularly.

Its odd seeing people saying its dead or dieing, especially when you see first hand, that the PSVR thread here, and the PSVR subreddit, have become much more active and a huge uptick in subscribers.

Tumle

I love these threads and all the nonsense they bring with them..

I love how VR is just like 3D TVs

But most of all a love when people say that they think AR is going to be much better than VR...
It's literally comparing apples to oranges!

Please never stop.. posting these "so do you think VR is doomed now?" Threads. They bring me so much entertainment :)

As a PlayStation VR owner, I thought it was a great show for PSVR personally. I expected to see a handful of new games that I wanted, but came away interested in a dozen or so.

A little surprised by the negativity.

Haines

Banned
I feel three things.

Vive is the way to go.

VR is years away from being worth owning.

The big games after all this time are STILL not looking like great products.

Don't bother. They have this in their head and a silly little thing like evidence can't change their minds.

It's their loss, at least we get to play all these awesome games and experiences like SuperHot and RE7, with immersion that is on another level to just playing on a TV.

Being in the game / part of the game, is really amazing and a great new way to play games.

paulogy

Let's see:

1. Sony spent a decent amount of time covering some pretty good looking VR games (MOSS!)
2. Farpoint made NPD
3. PSVR is on sale for $299 (a trend which I hope continues)

So things are looking good to me :)

Aaron

VR is and always will be a niche product. It's not going to replace playing games on a TV ever. I think this is a lower year for VR overall, and it'll do better next year, but it'll never be the thing.

Rhoc

I always thought VR would die out and saw no point in it. But after I played Star Trek I saw for the first time the potential it has. Anyways it still has a long way to go to be anything more than gimmick at the moment. I really want a ready player one VR like experience :) I hope I live long enough for that.

VR is and always will be a niche product. It's not going to replace playing games on a TV ever. I think this is a lower year for VR overall, and it'll do better next year, but it'll never be the thing.

Why do people think it will replace playing on a TV ? Nobody ever said it will, it will just sit alongside standard gaming, as another way to play.

It's like people are hating VR and want it to fail because they are scared it might be the only way to play in the future, which is crazy.

As VR gets cheaper, it will become less niche but standard gaming will never go away.

Needs a lower cost, more developer support. Not sure if you can ever get over people not wanting to wear an HMD though, I certainly never want that.

So is there a future? I think so, but a niche one, not a mainstream one

My take is that VR is still coming, but is nowhere near ready for prime time. It's coming, and will eventually be popular. None of the tech you buy now will run the VR that finally clicks with the masses.

If you enjoy watching the progress they make, have fun. If you are trying to find the hardware that will actually be fun, save your money. It's not time yet.

I think the naysayers just generally dont want to try it, or haven't experienced it and that's why they dismiss it altogether. You don't know what you're missing out on! Imagine a game you love and imagine BEING in that world. That's something else that. It's early days but it'll get going.

Ferrio

Banned
The negativity to VR is the same thing you heard when video games first came about. To hear people wish for VR's death on a enthusiast video gaming forum is baffling.

A-V-B

Same as always. Doesn't matter how good software is until I think hardware's good enough for me so I can jump in and not feel like I missed out a year or two later on massive quality of life features. So there are certain goalposts that need to be scored through.

valkyre

not that you're, uh, the target audience lol but I wouldn't be making my game if it weren't for VR, and I sure as shit am not the only one. It's been really inspiring tech for me.

Good for you. Never said people should agree with me (although it seems quite a lot of people share it). You find the tech inspiring, I find the tech a gimmick with limited time in the spotlight.

You should do something more worthwile with your time. Like making a game specifically aimed at valkyre for the console of his choice.
Everything else just needs to go away already.

That would actually be great.

The way you speak about it.

If you tell me you have, I'm be forced to believe you but I'd hope you'd be honest about that and not just fib to win the argument.

Frankly, i really dont care whether you believe me or not. Aint got time to play such games.

Please elaborate what you mean by "worthwhile"

Something involving decent controls without the half assed "immerssion" of just looking around in a VR environment and then having to teleport or using sticks to move. Also something that doesnt involve feeling uncomfortable playing for more than 30 mins. Last and not least something decent instead of 90% of tech demos and not even barely inspiring, interesting games.

In other words, a normal traditional game.

But hey thats me. And guess what. You dont have to be me.

There are mostly two kinds of people.

people who really LOVE VR
people who hate the fact that those people love VR.

Now this is one for the records!

Yup. I hate you all VR lovers. I also hate people who love swimming pools. And hate people who love supercars. And i hate people who love Michael Bay films, seriously screw these guys. And surely i passionately detest people who love chocolate!

Hate is cool. Hate is awesome. Dont be shy, join us...

Kawngi

Own a VR headset already, played a handful of games but its collecting dust. I'll jump back in when they make a giant leap forward with the tech.

Savitar

Currently VR is the same fart in the wind it was before.

Kinda like every other VR period before this.

Reminds me of 3D in that regard.

The negativity to VR is the same thing you heard when video games first came about. To hear people wish for VR's death on a enthusiast video gaming forum is baffling.

A lot of the naysayers don't sound much different than when the mobile market started to emerge. Many of which stemmed from the fact that they were worried it would take resources away from something they enjoyed combined with constant "analysts" predicting the death of console and PC gaming which obviously rattled many cages, to an extent some of their fears did happen as some Japanese developers went whale hunting. But as we have seen the mobile market is just that its own market independent of the console and PC space, though there are some overlaps between the two the markets are very different and don't cannibalise each other as there is money to be made in both spaces.

There is little different with VR in this regard. You had "analysts" as well as overzealous fans claiming VR was the future and that is the only way the industry is going and some would prefer the expenditure spent on what they know. But it is clearly its own market and clear to anyone that own's one that there is more than enough room for them both. Though there is a bigger crossover with VR and console/PC gaming than there is with the mobile market the experiences between the two are vastly different. VR has to an extent changed my perspective on certain traditional genres, ruined some (racing) but ultimately I still play them, I do prefer VR but just as VR does stuff that traditional gaming can't do traditional gaming does stuff VR can't and I like that and don't see myself stopping either as long as there is content I want to play. I don't expect full VR experiences to grow like the mobile market any time soon as it doesn't have the trojan of the phone like mobile gaming did and that doesn't look likely to happen in the immediate future.

13ruce

Banned
If they finally start to add games day one (like RE 7) instead of ports years later like Skyrim or Fallout 4 then i am in.

Hopefully that is a thing around PS VR2.

When I started gaming it took 5 mins to load a game from cassette tape. There was 48k of RAM. There were about 8 colours. Joysticks had 1 button. Sound didn't even come through the TV.

Thank fuck I, and many like me, didn't wait until hardware was "good enough" We just embraced it, enjoyed it and dreamed of the possibilities.

cakefoo

Currently VR is the same fart in the wind it was before.

Kinda like every other VR period before this.

Reminds me of 3D in that regard.
Reminds me of some of your other posts in that regard :)
I remember VR being the next step in the 90's.

Didn't happen.

Basically I believe it hits main stream when it happens and considering how people HATED wearing 3D glasses having to wear a helmet for VR should be a fun sell.

VR got hyped once more only to be a capital meh once more. Age old story that's been going on now for some time.

Kinda like 3D really.

Top Bottom