• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

XAL

Amy Shumer is a Dane Cook-type.
Short-term popularity plagiarist-types do not deserve the same pay as comedy legends with way bigger fanbases and critical acclaim.
Based purely on quality/ratings/ there is no basis for her paycheck to be anywhere near theirs.

This reminds me of when Gwyneth Paltrow said she should get paid as much as Robert Downey Jr. for the Iron Man movies...like what? Lead vs Support, High Screentime vs Low Screentime, Popular figure that is the lynchpin of an entire suite of franchise films vs a side character.

I'm 100% for equal pay, but both of these claims are just kind of absurd notions.

TheContact

I guess it all depends on what her economic rent is. I don't personally think she's on par with Chris Rock in terms of ratings but I don't know the numbers to say either way. She's funny sometimes; she doesn't have any knockouts like Chris Rock does

perhaps niche was the wrong word, i only meant that she chose her comedic tone well, she saw an opportunity and took it, she definitely has a large audience

i'd call Schumer a rising star, this is her third real solo special and i believe she still hasn't produced a real defining work, a Bring the Pain or Chappelle Show. i think she has it in her, it just hasn't hit yet. this is just my own silly theory of course, but i think that talent can follow many different paths. some talented people, when seeing a wane in their careers, veer towards more safe projects in order to build back up, but some people respond with the rare genius born of desperation and begin to take more daring risks, and it's in that uncertain realm that a lot of great art is made. oh yeah, money

Audiences have seen those high heights from Rock and Chappelle, people remember how great they could be, the audience is compelled to see if they can match that brilliance again, and there's real worth in that. to me that explains a portion of the disparity, but like you said, 11 ain't 20.

there's a few other ways to look at the data too
maybe Schumer's demo was already largely subscribed to Netflix anyway
like the venn diagram of her peeps and Orange is the New Black fans is basically a circle or something
but Rock and Chappelle's demo numbers were lagging, there were more potential subscribers in that base
so it behooved Netflix to obtain more content that could obtain them
Rock and Chappelle have already made their money, so their offer had to be extra enticing

another interesting thought
Schumer establishing a relationship with such a growing media powerhouse as Netflix has more value to Schumer than it does to Rock or Chappelle. Schumer is still doing sketch, a field Netflix might be more than happy to expand into if something goes awry at comedy central. Rock and Chappelle can probably get a production greenlit wherever they want, they have more experience behind the camera, they don't need Netflix, Netflix needs them, where Schumer might not necessarily need them, but there's much more potential in that relationship, so a lower offer might be slightly more justified

i'm not trying to go to bat for Netflix really
it's just that my field is very interesting to me
and i enjoy speculating on the thinking behind these costs

Amy Schumer before her last comedy special on Netflix was in a position to demand that much or close to it tbh. After how poorly that special was received, I don't think she is, but who knows and if she can demand the same amount and get it than Kudos to her.

Only Netflix has the numbers along with any other metric to determine her worth.

I don't think there's a metric that we can use that would put her on the same footing as those guys.

I legit can't tell if these posts are sexist or obtuse.

Look at ticket sales for tours. Same footing.

Look at total money made last year. Same footing.

Those are probably big factors in determining if she should get paid the same, right?

Like, I get that you guys like Chappelle at lot more. I really do. But there are actual numbers you can use here that show she's in the exact same league as them when it comes to the ability to generate revenue. It's not debatable. This thread shouldn't be this far along with these many posts.

I mean, if she renegotiated, then she was obviously getting low balled. If Netflix didn't think she was worth more money they wouldn't have given it to her.

Seesaw15

I thought we had to hide or sexism on neogaf.
Guess not.

Come on of the 9 pages/400+ replies maybe 15-20 are "She's unfunny and should stay in her place" type comments. The rest either agree with her wanting to negotiate for more or want to discuss what factors went into Rock & Chappelle's big pay day. It would be a pretty boring topic if everyone just said "good for her" and moved on.

I legit can't tell if these posts are sexist or obtuse.

Look at ticket sales for tours. Same footing.

Look at total money made last year. Same footing.

Those are probably big factors in determining if she should get paid the same, right?

Like, I get that you guys like Chappelle at lot more. I really do. But there are actual numbers you can use here that show she's in the exact same league as them when it comes to the ability to generate revenue. It's not debatable. This thread shouldn't be this far along with these many posts.

Look, if you say so, then I concede. Her views on her Netflix specials could very well be pulling similar numbers as well.

But there are actual numbers you can use here that show she's in the exact same league as them when it comes to the ability to generate revenue. It's not debatable.

My theory is that the revenues she could bring to Netflix, they've already won those people through their other content. they saw more money in the older demo that remembers rock and chappelle from the 90's

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
No doubt. Although in retrospect, it was probably a bad investment being it was one of her worst comedy specials and holds no replay value in the future.

To that I thought Chappelle's last special was pretty mediocre.

I agree Shumer's was pretty poor by her standard too.. I like her style of comedy too.. it just wasn't that good.

ironmang

Oh, so it's really about how businesses should spend their money based on your personal opinion rather than actual metrics. That sounds like a really solid argument.

So I'm not allowed to say I think someone is overpaid based on the quality of their work? I don't get your point.

JeTmAn81

I don't care what she thinks she should get paid. It's not like there's some scientific test for popularity and potential return on investment. Whatever you manage to negotiate is what you get.

I'm surprised she even got 11 million.

If the numbers are there to justify paying her the same as Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle, then definitely go for it. I highly doubt it, but she's not my cup of tea so I wouldn't know how popular she is.

If you're using IMDB as a metric Jerry Seinfeld has only done Bee movie, the cancelled Marriage Ref and Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee over the last 10 years. Still he is somehow heavily in demand and popular.

Your career as a whole matters. Chappelle made his money and stepped away but he is still very much in demand. Rock is an icon so even some flop movies his name has weight.

Seinfeld has the good sense to be essentially retired. He took that "going out on a high note" thing pretty literally. Rock and Chapelle are both former big names on the wane, which is what a look at IMDB will show. Schumer's star is still rising.

After her last special? I don't think so.

Actually, before. The negotiation was for The Leather Special.

You can argue that the quality of how that turned out will probably impact negotiations if she tries to bump up for the next one, but in November 2016 (which is when it was filmed) she was coming in hot after her TV show, Trainwreck, her previous special which very well received, and her book which was selling very well. She had some leverage for a higher payday

Like, I really don't like material or specials much, and i think she's honestly probably a scummy, not great person taking advantage of a white feminist image, but even I won't disparage a girl just for getting paid

XAL

To that I thought Chappelle's last special was pretty mediocre.

I agree Shumer's was pretty poor by her standard too.. I like her style of comedy too.. it just wasn't that good.

Chapelles were decent, the trans jokes were fucking dicey and not the best.

The last Louis CK special seemed really low effort and just not up to par with his other stuff. I don't know if I'm alone in thinking that.

Good for her, bad for Netflix. They've been paying for a lot of mediocre or outright bad comedy specials.

Adam Sandler's ability to wrangle up huge paychecks for him and all of his friends for vacationing, passing it off making films - which turn out to be shit, unfunny movies is pretty d i s g u s t i n g.

blakep267

Seinfeld has the good sense to be essentially retired. He took that "going out on a high note" thing pretty literally. Rock and Chapelle are both former big names on the wane, which is what a look at IMDB will show. Schumer's star is still rising.
Dave Chappell chooses not to do much. Nothing to do with lack of ability to get a role. He could walk into any network right now and get a deal for a show that would be 10x what she would get. Much like Jerry he only does what he wants to do

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I used to be a huge fan of hers, but her latest sets haven't done anything for me. I loved her show though. I think she's really funny, maybe not on par with Rock or Chappelle, but I think she should 100% go after what she thinks she's worth. I don't see a problem here.

I have no idea how these deals are done, but I know women performers are generally fucked over when it comes to equal pay.

Does she even draw the same numbers as them? That's a bold, and silly request, if not. I'm with her though. Closed mouths don't get fed, though I'm not sure if it's deserved. I have no idea what her numbers are like, at all.

If Netflix wants to pay, then whatever. She deserves it just for asking. So many people just take what they are given in this age, be it a man or woman. Know your worth, then ask for more. You just might get it.

Seesaw15

While Chris Rock is more up for debate Chappelle did the same thing as Seinfeld. Had a hugely popular show, left on a high note and retired only doing bit parts and stand up tours when he wants to. Now Seinfeld while on paper not being as in demand as Amy Schumer signed a $100 million dollar deal with Netflix where he's getting like $25 million per stand up special.

Gattsu25

Banned
Whatever happened to Dane Cook anyways? Wasnt my type of humor but wasnt he the biggest comedian at one point?

Seems like he started getting shunned after people accused him of stealing jokes.

Not stealing jokes from no-name or up-and-coming comedians, mind you...he was accused of stealing jokes from C.K.

Actually, I've heard of her and seen her stuff, but I haven't haven't heard of the other two. I'm surprised at all the other comments saying they must be more popular than her. I wonder what the actual numbers are -- I'm sure Netflix would have them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Amy Shumer is a Dane Cook-type.
Short-term popularity plagiarist-types do not deserve the same pay as comedy legends with way bigger fanbases and critical acclaim.
Based purely on quality/ratings/ there is no basis for her paycheck to be anywhere near theirs.

This reminds me of when Gwyneth Paltrow said she should get paid as much as Robert Downey Jr. for the Iron Man movies...like what? Lead vs Support, High Screentime vs Low Screentime, Popular figure that is the lynchpin of an entire suite of franchise films vs a side character.

I'm 100% for equal pay, but both of these claims are just kind of absurd notions.
I would give her some credit and say that Schumer is more of a long-term plagiarist than a short-term one, she's been doing her thing for a while.

Still perhaps the number one knock against her for me. I love comedy so much, so I'm pretty passionate about the craft so to speak, but I can appreciate when someone's style isn't for me in most cases. I can't relate to Schumer's work as much so most of it falls flat, but I don't have to like it. But the joke stealing stuff pretty much sealed the deal for me. It's one thing to implicitly come upon an idea that you had watched previously but do not remember doing so, no one is immune to that (and it's understandable to see comedians jump to her defense for that very reason), and it definitely turned into a witch hunt once it got rolling because she's a woman, but a nonsignificant number of those are just indefensible and have minimal changes to material.

Even if she's not a pathological joke thief, she's horribly unoriginal at best, which is pretty consistent of my impression of her before the joke stealing stuff. It really does feel like a bizarro world where Mencia got popular, but who am I to tell people who relate with it and find her funny that she's terrible. Mencia got multiple seasons on CC too. Hopefully Schumer opens the door for a Gabriel Iglesias of her own or something.

blakep267

Whatever happened to Dane Cook anyways? Wasnt my type of humor but wasnt he the biggest comedian at one point?
A few things.

1. His type of comedy didn't have the longevity. He's T-Pain during the autotune craze but once that's over, he doesn't have classics or the talent to reinvent. I still find some of his bits funny but even I can see that annunciatinh weird names like "Charlene or Marcus" and words like "toppings" in a story can only last but so long.

2. He got too big. Some comedians can survive being astronomical like a Kevin hart or Chris rock etc. but then you have others like Carlos mencia, Katt williams(although he still sells out black venues but his mainstream appeal is gone) or cook that get too big and people just turn on you and you get more "haters". This is what I see in the future for Amy

3.He got kind of a bad rap and was shunned by other comedians and apparently he just wasn't friendly enough with them. Because we see mencia and cook fall from getting joke stealing accusations but Schumer has friends that stick up for her and have her back

Actually, I've heard of her and seen her stuff, but I haven't haven't heard of the other two. I'm surprised at all the other comments saying they must be more popular than her. I wonder what the actual numbers are -- I'm sure Netflix would have them.

You've never heard of Chris Rock? Seriously?

You do know that we have a rule on this forum that you need to be above the age of 13 to register, right?

On topic....

I don't like her work, but I guess she has the numbers to justify a larger check. Good on her for working that hustle.

cordy

Banned

YEvexiM.gif

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
People here talking about what people deserve are off the mark. It's not about what you deserve. No job ever has been about what you deserve. It's about what your employer thinks you deserve. End of story. I cannot fault someone in the private sector negotiating for as much money as they want. Be ruthless and make that paper for as long as you can.

I'm no Amy Schumer fan but all the "joke stealing" accusations are super weak. I've seen the Youtube compilations and there's not a single one that's not a total stretch. She may be a hack but she's not a joke thief.

People here talking about what people deserve are off the mark. It's not about what you deserve. No job ever has been about what you deserve. It's about what your employer thinks you deserve. End of story. I cannot fault someone in the private sector negotiating for as much money as they want. Be ruthless and make that paper for as long as you can.
Yup! It's the way of the world.

smurfx

get some go again
i think he was helped a lot by the rise of youtube. his comedy bits were shared a ton a he got big because of it. guess he just fizzled out since he was mediocre.

Preacher

I appreciate her attempt to get what she feels she's due but she's not even half as funny as either of

But good for her honestly, people shouldn't be afraid to ask for raises.

Top Bottom