• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

Haven't read the thread yet, but can already tell it's going to be full of people saying she isn't worth the money.

I like her comedy, I know some people don't. That's ok. Comedy is a thing like that.

That being said, good for her. Make that money, and it's not like she did something terrible to make that money like Nestle or something.

tkscz

Irrelevant to Netflix's spending priorities in a year where Adam Sandler pulled down $50 million.

Relevant if her special didn't bring in as many people as Dave's or Chris's. Like it or not, Adam Sandler, even at his worse, still gets more people to watch his stuff than most stand up comedians.

Good for her. Who am I to say how much she does or doesn't "deserve" based on how funny I find her, comedy is subjective. This is between her and Netflix. She's a very popular comedian and the gender pay gap is a serious issue.

Neff

This is either one of the worst arguments I've ever seen, or its off topic.

I want to do that too, though.

It shouldn't need to be stated that showbiz salaries are proportionate to how much money you can bring in, not your career title, or your peers, or the company you keep. It's strictly relative to the individual and their bankability at any given moment.

It also shouldn't need to be stated that Schumer is in no way close to Rock or Chapelle's league in terms of popularity, bankability or talent.

Naw, women do get paid less. Your worth is determined by a system that pays women less.

Your value is whatever somebody's worth paying you is a neutral statement. Obviously there are systemic issues and biases there, but the statement still holds true for the marketplace.

Right now, or more accurately a year ago, I'd say she was. She was doing the whole arena tour thing and her movie had just made bank. She is one of the biggest comedians of her generation and the most popular female comedian by far.

I'm talking strictly as a stand up comedian. Dave Chappelle made 13 million in 2016 primarily off of Stand Up and was stil among the highest paid comedians. Amy Schumer made 17 million in 2016 "While she made millions from touring —most of her tour was a co-bill with Aziz Ansari, who didn't make the list—she also has her Peabody and Emmy-winning Comedy Central show Inside Amy Schumer, an $8 million book deal for The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo and commercial work to thank for big payday".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddie...infeld-with-87-5-million-payday/#22f1478a320e

Seesaw15

As a stand up comedian, Amy Schumer is not more popular than Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle.

Kevin Hart is definitely bigger than all 3 right now.

Do you have receipts to back this up? Because having worked in an industry that has those receipts, I'd wager you're wrong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddie...infeld-with-87-5-million-payday/#67da17dc320e

Ehh, I mean Kevin Hart is clearly number #1 with $87.5 million last year. Last year Schumer was more active with stand up/tv show and a $ 8 million dollar book deal and she made $17 million. With just tours and a bit part in Chi-Raq Chappelle made $13 million.

So if we're going off pure numbers last year it was Hart>Schumer>Chappelle(I don't know about Chris Rock in 2016). This year it's gonna be Hart>Rock>Chappelle>Schumer.

Neece

I don't see the issue. She thought she was worth more and Netflix agreed, so they negotiated a higher payout.

Aren't they the most watched Netflix movies? I don't think Amy Shumer has the same draw.

Relevant if her special didn't bring in as many people as Dave's or Chris's. Like it or not, Adam Sandler, even at his worse, still gets more people to watch his stuff than most stand up comedians.

Do either of you know the numbers? No? Then why begrudge her increased payday? Oh, right, because you don't like her comedy.

I brought up Sandler for exactly this reason. I don't like his comedy at all. But I recognize why Netflix gave him $50 mil.

I really, honestly, truly wish people would state why Sandler gets the benefit of the doubt on his payday and not Shumer. Just one of you explain it to me without resorting to "I think" "I can't imagine" or "I don't believe."

Your value is whatever somebody's worth paying you is a neutral statement. Obviously there are systemic issues and biases there, but the statement still holds true for the marketplace.

That's not a strong system because it benefits men more than women due to patriarchy. How come men disproportionately are valued more than women? Are women's worth lower than men's? Your position is poor and shows you're ignorant of the realities women face in almost all areas of work.

Flo_Evans

Go right ahead.

Stranger things 2 tho.

I just think it's stupid to say it's their money. Their job is to curate content I find enjoyable.

I also think it's funny people say she has good negotiating skills, props to her agent they are the ones that deserve to get paid. :p

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddie...infeld-with-87-5-million-payday/#67da17dc320e

Ehh, I mean Kevin Hart is clearly number #1 with $87.5 million last year. Last year Schumer was more active with stand up/tv show and a $ 8 million dollar book deal and she made $17 million. With just tours and a bit part in Chi-Raq Chappelle made $13 million.

So if we're going off pure numbers last year it was Hart>Schumer>Chappelle(I don't know about Chris Rock in 2016). This year it's gonna be Hart>Rock>Chappelle>Schumer.

The Point is as a STAND UP COMEDIAN, Chappelle is much more popular than Schumer and he doesn't have to do movies, or tv shows, or sign book deals to make almost as much as she did.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've never seen or heard of her, the other two are massive icons of the industry.

Aselith

Are you seriously comparing a $3 million budget documentary to a $35 million studio romantic comedy that were released almost 10 years apart?

I mean Dave didn't do anything else with his comedy success that we can really compare it to. They both have very successful TV shows so that's a wash. It's basically Dave has the prestiege edge and Schumer has raw numbers so they come out about even. No surprise she could demand as much as him when he went MIA for a decade.

That's not a strong system because it benefits men more than women due to patriarchy. How come men disproportionately are valued more than women? Are women's worth lower than men's? Your position is poor and shows you're ignorant of the realities women face in almost all areas of work.

You're missing my point and going into an argument I'm not even trying to argue.

The point is I'm fine with Schumer getting as much as Chappelle and Rock if she was capable of negotiating it and Netflix was willing to pay it. They believe she's worth it. Regardless if people think she isn't as good, or as popular a stand up comedian as they are.

You're missing my point and going into an argument I'm not even trying to argue.

The point is I'm fine with Schumer getting as much as Chappelle and Rock if she was capable of negotiating it and Netflix was willing to pay it. They believe she's worth it. Regardless if people think she isn't as good, or as popular a stand up comedian as they are.

The bold is key. These women know how to negotiate. They have teams that help them with this, so do Dave and Chris. Almost all women in the industry do. She and her team could negotiate just as well or even better than Dave or Chris but the chances of her being paid the same or more is super fucking low.

So it's fair to call into the question of "negotiating" because it really isn't fair for women.

Vice

I'm talking strictly as a stand up comedian. Dave Chappelle made 13 million in 2016 primarily off of Stand Up and was stil among the highest paid comedians. Amy Schumer made 17 million in 2016 "While she made millions from touring —most of her tour was a co-bill with Aziz Ansari, who didn’t make the list—she also has her Peabody and Emmy-winning Comedy Central show Inside Amy Schumer, an $8 million book deal for The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo and commercial work to thank for big payday".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddie...infeld-with-87-5-million-payday/#22f1478a320e

Where does it say his earnings were primarily from stand up? I would assume he's still seeing some type of income from his show, the same way Seinfeld pulls in a large chunk of his money from syndication.

Yea, I wasn't talking about Kevin Hart, but I dealt with AEG a bunch during her arena tour last year, and she was definitely above Rock and in the same ballpark as Chappelle. Certainly in a place where she was capable of asking for similar money from Netflix.

The Point is as a STAND UP COMEDIAN, Chappelle is much more popular than Schumer and he doesn't have to do movies, or tv shows, or sign book deals to make almost as much as she did.

Again, you're just pulling stuff from nowhere. You have no idea how Chappelle's income sources break down. Schumer was selling giant arenas even on tour dates without Aziz. It's fine if you like Chappelle more, so do I, but you can't make definitive statements like he's much more popular as a stand up comedian. Because you're wrong.

tkscz

Do either of you know the numbers? No? Then why begrudge her increased payday? Oh, right, because you don't like her comedy.

I brought up Sandler for exactly this reason. I don't like his comedy at all. But I recognize why Netflix gave him $50 mil.

I really, honestly, truly wish people would state why Sandler gets the benefit of the doubt on his payday and not Shumer. Just one of you explain it to me without resorting to "I think" "I can't imagine" or "I don't believe."

Did I say she didn't deserve it? No, I said simply that the numbers are relevant. So if she did get the numbers, then good on her. I was pointing out why someone like Sandler, whose comedy is at kindergarten level, would bring in more cash. I don't care if you or anyone thinks she's funny or not, at best I think she's ok, I've seen much worse. I'm talking about, and assumed Draper was talking about, their level of popularity and numbers they can pull.

The bold is key. These women know how to negotiate. They have teams that help them with this, so do Dave and Chris. Almost all women in the industry do. She and her team could negotiate just as well or even better than Dave or Chris but the chances of her being paid the same or more is super fucking low.

So it's fair to call into the question of "negotiating" because it really isn't fair for women.

Part of it is she doesn't have the career that Dave or Chris has TBH nor does she have any classic stand up specials. I very much doubt her special will get the same amount of views as Dave or Chris's to be honest, but I'm obviously speculating.

Ploid 3.0

If she got it, niiiice!

If it was a hit and they want to do business with her again, Awesome!

If not to any of the above, she'll live, and probably get a bump in pay anyway.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'm down for equal pay between genders, I am not an Amy Schumer fan.

So yay for women comics, boo to Amy Schumer.

Part of it is she doesn't have the career that Dave or Chris has TBH nor does she have any classic stand up specials. I very much doubt her special will get the same amount of views as Dave or Chris's to be honest, but I'm obviously speculating.

Schumer is more popular than Chris Rock in today's age. Not in 2004, but she has vastly surpassed him in internet searches from Google.

But this is just convenient ways to rationalize being paid less. Do you really think their popularity warrants an almost 50% decrease in pay?

Couple that with women absolutely being paid less in almost all areas of Hollywood, you really think it was Chris and Dave's career? That's a naive position to take.

Where does it say his earnings were primarily from stand up? I would assume he's still seeing some type of income from his show, the same way Seinfeld pulls in a large chunk of his money from syndication.

You think a large chunk of his money comes from the Chappelle Show in 2016? LOL

Dave Chappelle has been touring non stop. His money doubled in 2016, not because of residuals from an over 10 year old show, but by stand up performances. Just like his money in 2017 will be so much greater due to his 60 million dollar deal he made with Netflix.

Schumer is more popular than Chris Rock in today's age. Not in 2004, but she has vastly surpassed him in internet searches from Google.

But this is just convenient ways to rationalize being paid less. Do you really think their popularity warrants an almost 50% decrease in pay?

Couple that with women absolutely being paid less in almost all areas of Hollywood, you really think it was Chris and Dave's career? That's a naive position to take.

LOL @ using Google searches, that has nothing to do with quantifying value in Stand Up which is what were talking about, particularly a Stand Up special.

I PROMISE you Chris Rock's Netflix special will be viewed overwhelmingly more than Amy Schumer's.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

We already have some official Netflix numbers on Sandler so it's not a direct comparison.

LOL @ using Google searches, that has nothing to do with quantifying value in Stand Up which is what were talking about in value.

I PROMISE you Chris Rock's Netflix special will be viewed overwhemingly more than Amy Schumer's.

Yeah, you can use google searches. Why not? You think bots are googling Schumer to inflate the numbers? See, this is why your position isn't strong because you're very defensive about anything that puts Schumer on equal or better grounds than Dave of Chris. This is what they have to deal with in negotiations.

You never get it if you don't ask, so good for her.

I like her a lot. Her earlier stuff is better, but that's also the situation with Rock and Chapelle, both of whom have kind of lost it over the years.

You think a large chunk of his money comes from the Chappelle Show in 2016? LOL

Dave Chappelle has been touring non stop. His money doubled in 2016, not because of residuals from an over 10 year old show, but by stand up performances. Just like his money in 2017 will be so much greater due to his 60 million dollar deal he made with Netflix.

For comparison, Chappelle toured in Tampa, did three shows to a total of around 6500 people. Made bank. Schumer toured Tampa six months later, sold around 9000 tickets. Also made bank. Explain to me again how Chappelle is "much more popular" and how they're not pretty much around the same level right now?

Google trends has Amy Schumer being more popular overall online than Chris Rock.

Out of the history of Hollywood, you don't believe there's a slant against women making money? It's quite obvious that it has nothing to do with talent or sales.

a few more thoughts on this

the disparity absolutely exists that's without saying
i'd argue it's even worse in the stand-up world

but schumer found a niche she could exploit and she did it masterfully
basically a less hardcore lisa lampanelli (who isn't palatable enough for the mainstream)

above the line contract negotiation can get hardcore, too
netflix isn't lowballing schumer because they hate women
they're just trying to get the best deal they can get away with

Rock and Chapelle may be seen as less relevant in some data sets than Schumer, but they are a known quantity. Netflix could trust the veterans to bring it, so all parties knew what they were worth.

Schumer's draw is a much more volatile demo, with a much higher chance at bailing on her if she slips up socially, which is much easier for her to do since she basically has to be edgy on social media or people will think she's lost her edge, and will bail anyway. There's more risk there.

this actually seems like a pretty good thread so far
i don't claim to have all the answers
but i do work in film accounting so i've been privy to a bit more

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Imagine revolutionizing the sketch comedy format in a show that was not only one of the most commercially successful TV DVDs of all time, but a cultural touchstone that is endlessly quotable and one of the most poignant critiques about race relations in America in comedy, having two of the most rewatchable stand up specials of all time under your belt, having a decade's worth of anticipation and demand for your return, being passed the torch from Richard Pryor, all of your contemporaries and the top comedians of the generation after you openly saying they're not as good as you...

..and Carlos Mencia thinks he deserves the same pay. Well, not exactly Mencia. I guess she has a few more Hollywood successes, a slightly longer-running TV show than Mencia did, what I assume is a successful book, and is the preeminent female comedian of her time.

I guess that's what power affords you, though. The ability to leverage its ends to become more powerful. Being able to ask for an obnoxious raise and being met halfway or getting lucky and getting it. Can't knock the hustle, and if it gets closer to gender parity when it's disproportionate even when not being meritocratic about it like above, then good for her I guess.

a few more thoughts on this

the disparity absolutely exists that's without saying
i'd argue it's even worse in the stand-up world

but schumer found a niche she could exploit and she did it masterfully
basically a less hardcore lisa lampanelli (who isn't palatable enough for the mainstream)

above the line contract negotiation can get hardcore, too
netflix isn't lowballing schumer because they hate women
they're just trying to get the best deal they can get away with

Rock and Chapelle may be seen as less relevant in some data sets than Schumer, but they are a known quantity. Netflix could trust the veterans to bring it, so all parties knew what they were worth.

Schumer's draw is a much more volatile demo, with a much higher chance at bailing on her if she slips up socially, which is much easier for her to do since she basically has to be edgy on social media or people will think she's lost her edge, and will bail anyway. There's more risk there.

this actually seems like a pretty good thread so far
i don't claim to have all the answers
but i do work in film accounting so i've been privy to a bit more

A niche doesn't matter if she has the numbers.

Netflix isn't hating women but they're not exactly trying to give equal pay either. 11 million to 20 million shows they should have metrics to show she is 50% less profitable for Netflix.

MastAndo

Yeah, you can use google searches. Why not? You think bots are googling Schumer to inflate the numbers? See, this is why your position isn't strong because you're very defensive about anything that puts Schumer on equal or better grounds than Dave of Chris. This is what they have to deal with in negotiations.
No, people are using the total earnings of a comedian over the course of a year (from films, TV, etc.) to back up their claim about stand-up earnings. It's not a direct comparison....and people are defensive about it because Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock are legends in the stand-up game and Amy Schumer is not (yet). I think the latter point is where most are taking exception and why it's a story to begin with. It's a bit of a shame that it's so difficult to express this without the insinuation that one is being sexist.

You know I was gonna say she sucks and she in no way can be compared to Chappelle or Rock, but who cares, it's not coming out of my pocket? if she can get 11 million or more then fucking go for it.

Aselith

Imagine revolutionizing the sketch comedy format in a show that was not only one of the most commercially successful TV DVDs of all time, but a cultural touchstone that is endlessly quotable and one of the most poignant critiques about race relations in America in comedy, having two of the most rewatchable stand up specials of all time under your belt, having a decade's worth of anticipation and demand for your return, being passed the torch from Richard Pryor, all of your contemporaries and the top comedians of the generation after you openly saying they're not as good as you...

..and Carlos Mencia thinks he deserves the same pay. Well, not exactly Mencia. I guess she has a few more Hollywood successes, a slightly longer-running TV show than Mencia did, what I assume is a successful book, and is the preeminent female comedian of her time.

I guess that's what power affords you, though. The ability to leverage its ends to become more powerful. Being able to ask for an obnoxious raise and being met halfway or getting lucky and getting it. Can't knock the hustle, and if it gets closer to gender parity when it's disproportionate even when not being meritocratic about it like above, then good for her I guess.

Yeah leaving the game for 10 years isn't an asset. Anticipation can easily become apathy over a decade.

I can use Youtube views to believe a Movie trailer is vastly more popular than another Movie trailer therefore it should make vastly more money, and be disappointed as the Movie with the much lower Youtube views made vastly more money at the Box Office, than the Movie trailer with vastly more views.

You need more metrics than just Google searches to quantify and project how popular somebody's STAND UP SPECIAL will be. Netflix has actual numbers from Amy Schumer's last special and both of Dave Chappelles so they could tell us. They will also be able to know the numbers for Chris Rock's.

For comparison, Chappelle toured in Tampa, did three shows to a total of around 6500 people. Made bank. Schumer toured Tampa six months later, sold around 9000 tickets. Also made bank. Explain to me again how Chappelle is "much more popular" and how they're not pretty much around the same level right now?

A. First you're using only one example in one city and it could vary in other cities and locations. B. Chappelle's tickets could've cost more. C. Amy Schumer was touring with Aziz Ansari who could've been taking a bigger cut, than the comedians Chappelle tours with.

No, people are using the total earnings of a comedian over the course of a year (from films, TV, etc.) to back up their claim about stand-up earnings. It's not a direct comparison....and people are defensive about it because Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock are legends in the stand-up game and Amy Schumer is not (yet). It's a shame that it's so difficult to express this without the insinuation that you're sexist.

It's not going to make anyone sexist. It's just has and currently is the status quo to pay women less. The conversation of equal pay is happening more and more so traditional methods of determining worth are being brought under question so are the nebulous "negotiations" workers have. It all depends on how much you want to cleave to old way of thinking.

I can use Youtube views to believe a Movie trailer is vastly more popular than another Movie trailer therefore it should make vastly more money, and be disappointed as the Movie with the much lower Youtube views made vastly more money at the Box Office, than the Movie trailer with vastly more views.

You need more metrics than just Google searches to quantify and project how popular somebody's STAND UP SPECIAL will be. Netflix has actual numbers from Amy Schumer's last special and both of Dave Chappelles so they could tell us. They will also be able to know the numbers for Chris Rock's.
YouTube views as a metric have been used before. Still are with popularity contests. Used to determine social percolation after release. Your point doesn't ring well.

You then say about another: "A. First you're using only one example in one city and it could vary in other cities and locations. B. Chappelle's tickets could've cost more. C. Amy Schumer was touring with Aziz Ansari who could've been taking a bigger cut, than the comedians Chappelle tours with."

Like, I get it, they have prestige but almost 50% more prestige? You're quite defensive over the idea that she's being paid less because she's a woman working in a world that undoubtedly pays women less.

A. First you're using only one example in one city and it could vary in other cities and locations. B. Chappelle's tickets could've cost more. C. Amy Schumer was touring with Aziz Ansari who could've been taking a bigger cut, than the comedians Chappelle tours with.

A) It doesn't.

B) They didn't

C) Aziz didn't play Tampa with her

Anything else?

Schumer is also a top film star. The last thing Rock starred in as a lead was something called Top Five in 2014 I've never heard of. Didn't make much money. Chapelle has never really been a lead, unless you count Half Baked.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
She's every bit as popular as Chris Rock right now... Chappelle is on a different level.

Chris at his peak was huge.. but he hasn't done shit lately.

gatling

To be honest, the age and prolificity of her career being thrown around as reasons does sound like old boys club mentality that is more than likely very much still a thing in hollywood. I can't imagine a netflix meeting where they decline trying a different audience based on the fact that she should marinate for 8 more years or something...

I'm all for people doing some hard negotiating for better pay but the fact is that she's simply not in as much demand as Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock so it would make sense for her to get paid less. I'm not going to knock her for negotiating though, everybody should try.

Top Bottom