• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

airjoca

She may be popular but Chappelle and Rock are popular and GREAT at their craft.

So no, she doesn't deserve it at all.

She shouldn't be criticized for demanding more. Good on her for that.

Her special was fucking garbage though. Lucky for her, her pay isn't based on the quality of her work.

I would imagine she's not anywhere near as big a draw as Chapelle, let alone Chapelle's first recorded standup show in a long while.

Though as someone who's trying to get more money at their job I commend her efforts.

Enzom21

Good for but nothing she does is even remotely entertaining to me, but I am obviously not in her target demographic.

ironmang

It's more about the people who are angry she got paid. That's the sexist part. Nobody is worked up over whether you personally think she's funny.

It really isn't sexist. People think she doesn't deserve the money which happens to men all the time as well. For example, Adam Sandler, as was mentioned in the thread.

Sounds like she, like Sandler, have some pretty amazing negotiating skills to make up for their relative lack of talent.

Rock and Chappelle are legit top 5/top 10 of all time.

They're both great, but top 5 is kind of crazy. Who would you kick out of Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, Williams, Rickles?

Just an aside, they're not getting paid from Netflix for being at x position on a Neogaffers list. They get paid based on draw and only Netflix really has the data there.

This is not how entertainment salaries are determined.

True. I honestly don't really know much about either comedian here (I'm more of a Dylan Moran kinda guy), but is Amy Schumer potentially as big a magnet as Rock/Chapelle? If so, this is fine. Because this is what should matter.

HotHamBoy

It really isn't sexist. People think she doesn't deserve the money which happens to men all the time as well. For example, Adam Sandler, as was mentioned in the thread.

Sounds like she, like Sandler, have some pretty amazing negotiating skills to make up for their relative lack of talent.

Negotiating skills i.e. what they pull in viewers.

I mean, some of the biggest stand up specials on Netflix are fucking garbage.

I am curious to see the statistics for the Netflix comedy specials. Not merely for this specific instance, but like Hasan Minhaj or Ali Wong.

They're both great, but top 5 is kind of crazy. Who would you kick out of Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, Williams, Rickles?

Just an aside, they're not getting paid from Netflix for being at x position on a Neogaffers list. They get paid based on draw and only Netflix really has the data there.

No offense but for most people under 30, Chapelle is better than all of those dudes.

I mean, sure, I wouldn't put Schumer even close to the same tier as Chappelle in particular if we're talking some sort of stand-up canon or whatever, but in terms of the money she brings in, I imagine it's about the same if not more so this seems like a totally fair demand. Nobody gives a shit about how people rank stuff on the Internet if it doesn't translate into dollars.

Mr.Mike

All that matters is how much Netflix is willing to pay and what Amy is willing to work for. It doesn't really matter how much you think someone deserves, certainly not in our economic system.

Shooting for equal pay seems a pretty limiting way of looking at this though. Why set an upper bound for yourself when negotiating?

It's more about the people who are angry she got paid. That's the sexist part. Nobody is worked up over whether you personally think she's funny.
First of all nobody is "angry".

Second people dont like it because they think she isnt on the same level like Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock or think she is just a shitty comedian.

But hey gotta be sexist because its about a woman.

I'd like to think that if gender discrimination didn't exist, she would still rightly have been paid much less than those two individuals.

Folks can pull any hypothetical parallel-universe scenarios out of their ass to justify pay scales based on their personal preference for one entertainer over another, and it still isn't relevant.

So like alot of people posting in this thread, I had no idea who Amy Schumer was. Then I went and looked up who she was and saw she starred in Trainwreck and Snatched, which I thought were pretty funny. So yeah good on her for asking for more money, I think she deserves more if she can pull in viewers. Even if you don't think she is as good as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle, negotiating is an important skill too that should be rewarded if you can pull it off.

Ryce

I don't know any hardcore comedy nerds who would put Robin Williams or Don Rickles anywhere near their top five. Eddie Murphy's a stretch, too.

I mean good for her. Get your money. But I hate when we talk about the wage gap only in context of men making more money than women and ignore the race gap that goes right along with it.

Not really in context of professional comedians. But just in general. My wife and I can speak of personal experience with that one and it's infuriating.

Fury451

Banned
For the leather special? I would've demanded a refund if I was Netflix.

I'm all for pay equality and what not, but that was some of the worst professional comedy I've seen in years, amplified by the fact that Ali Wong did similar material but infinitely better around the same time.

SaviorX

To be fair to Rock and Chapelle, they've been involved with comedy about a decade longer than Schumer at least, so I'd imagine they built a catalog and fanbase that justifies the $20m.

But if ticket sales and numbers show her audience is just as large, she should get that money.

border

How does Netflix gauge whether or not a given movie or special is successful? How do they judge whether or not it's worth the money they spent on it?

What else has Chappelle done lately? (Honest question). I thought he purposefully left Hollywood/Comedy?

He's doing a Radio City Hall residency that's sold out for the month of August with an all star list of special guests that are listed in the link for each day.

http://chappelleradiocity.com/#/

Promoting it on platforms where he get's millions of view such as Stephen Colbert show, Jimmy Fallon, The Breakfast Club, Hot 97, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjtKMcvqwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPoOd8oAbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UobUHDzFn9o

Wonder how much Seinfeld is getting for his netflix special.

Seinfeld got a package deal reportedly worth 100 million which includes 2 comedy specials, and the streaming rights to the first 9 seasons of produced Celebrities in Cars drinking Coffee series but also a new 10th season.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You don't get paid based on how funny you are. That's not how this works at all.
Well, actually it is. Sandler gets paid because people find him hilarious and keep paying for and watching his films. He's apparently VERY funny. Just not to you, me, or seemingly anyone who's opinion is important.

Jakoo

Good for her, but The Leather Special was absolute dogshit compared to her earlier material.

Maybe she deserved it for past performance, but Netflix absolutely did not get their moneys worth on that one.

Vice

She may be popular but Chappelle and Rock are popular and GREAT at their craft.

So no, she doesn't deserve it at all.
Schumer is/was one of the biggest comedians on the planet with an incredibly popular TV series. She draws huge audiences and is well liked. She's also contemporary and while Rock and Chappelle have some timeless acts when they signed their deals their biggest days were behind them.
I'd also expect someone like Kevin Hart to pull in a similar paycheck and I think he's pretty average as a comedian lately, but his fanbase is huge.

commedieu

Banned
How so any hard workig person would dream to get paid like that complaining about money when you earn millions is a bit entitled imo.

That's not how life works. You get paid based on how much you make people. She makes people millions of dollars. Like most things in entertainment.. minus vfx, I'm learning..

Women are paid less than men in all fields. People dream, they put in work to make millions. It's not entitled. It's a job, for a work. And when you work the job. The jobs the mark. Job.

ZehDon

Gold Member
This is not how entertainment salaries are determined.
Entertainment pay packets are based on ability to earn, partly influenced by popularity and reputation. Tom Cruise puts butts in seats, but you also know who he is, and that his track record is pretty terrific. Hence the pay packets he demands. Chris Rock has decades of proven success. Dave Chappelle is just shy of comedy royalty. Adam Sandler has been making financial successes since most of us were kids. Amy Schumer has only just broken into the mainstream, and was the "it" girl for a few years. She's popular, hence the 11 million initial deal. But you don't make record bucks by only being popular. Give her a few more years of relevancy first. But hey, if she got paid big bucks, good on her. Get what you can when you can in that industry.

male entertainers are routinely paid much more than this, and most of them aren't even remotely talented enough to last 5 minutes on a real stand-up stage

Schumer obviously has that talent, otherwise she'd still be jobbing at clubs

once you're at that level of name recognition, you can command that kind of money

Russell Peters makes fucking bank, and that dude is a straight up comedy void, just awful

not really even a fan of Schumer's, but i mean, look at Netflix's spending habits, fuck it, why not ask?

Mathieran

Banned
She probably has a bigger mainstream draw than those two so it seems fine to me. I don't know how that translates to numbers for views though.

Seesaw15

While Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are both comedic icons, they're not nearly as active as Schumer. Amy Schumer is a popular comedian and a popular writer, popular movie star and popular television star. She's more mainstream in the sense that she has fans beyond the comedy domain. People will watch her special who otherwise don't watch stand up, because they like her movies and show.

chapelle disappeared for like 10 years

Depends on who you ask but I know more people( 20 something college age students) who are more familiar with Chapelle's stuff than Schumer. A group of my friends could name a few viral sketches off hand( 12 angry men,One direction parody,milk lemonade) versus all the iconic Chapelle Show stuff that's been baked into the culture.

This isn't to say that Inside Amy Schumer/Trainwreck aren't good/popular just that Chappelle exploded when we still had a mono-culture and everyone talked about the same thing. Nowadays Amy Schumer is splitting her popularity with things like Broad City/Key and Peele/Youtubers and Viners while Chappelle is cemented as a legend.

Sethista

I think she should demand more, for sure.

But if netflix counters with ratings numbers for rock and chappele specials and hers to justify, I tjink thats valid as well.

But she does need to demand more. Ratings is one piece of that puzzle only.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good comedy specials have a long shelf life. I regularly watch 10-30 year old stand-up specials multiple times.

The classics do. Who is watching a Dane Cook comedy special in 2017? And especially with Netflix letting comics make these specials with untested material, like Schumer's special. Dave's stuff was solid. But they've let a lot of comics grab that check and leave steaming piles behind.

I mean HBO let slip that less than 1% of their streaming viewership was for comedy specials. And HBO has a deep catalog of specials, with tons of all time greats.

Permanently A

I respect the hustle but I don't think she's anywhere near Chappelle or Rock's talent. But like someone pointed out Adam Sandler got paid $50 million so its not like the payout is equivalent to talent

Top Bottom