• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

Well, actually it is. Sandler gets paid because people find him hilarious and keep paying for and watching his films. He's apparently VERY funny. Just not to you, me, or seemingly anyone who's opinion is important.

Some people find Schumer entertaining and hilarious as well. If she pulls the numbers, Netflix can afford to pay her what she wants. It's not her fault that people have bad taste

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Good for her. The ugly and sexist hate train the internet has run on her is shameful.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It really isn't sexist. People think she doesn't deserve the money which happens to men all the time as well. For example, Adam Sandler, as was mentioned in the thread.

Sounds like she, like Sandler, have some pretty amazing negotiating skills to make up for their relative lack of talent.
Oh, so it's really about how businesses should spend their money based on your personal opinion rather than actual metrics. That sounds like a really solid argument.

Schumer is/was one of the biggest comedians on the planet with an incredibly popular TV series. She draws huge audiences and is well liked. She's also contemporary and while Rock and Chappelle have some timeless acts when they signed their deals their biggest days were behind them.
I'd also expect someone like Kevin Hart to pull in a similar paycheck and I think he's pretty average as a comedian lately, but his fanbase is huge.

As a stand up comedian, Amy Schumer is not more popular than Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle.

Kevin Hart is definitely bigger than all 3 right now.

SpecX

if she's making them chappelle money, they should pay her chappelle money.

This right here. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to be paid equally, but she honestly isn't on that level yet. When she hits that level, then damn straight pay her the same.

That's like me walking into a new job and demanding I be paid the same as the vet who has been doing the same job I'm coming into for 20 years. I might be able to do many of the same tasks, but I haven't earned that pay level yet.

Never hurts to ask.My personal opinion is she isn't at their quality/legacy yet, but she might one day. And if Netflix thought at the time she was deserving, then it would have been good for her.

Aselith

You can't be serious with this comparison.

Whats a good comparison? What do you think the businessmen that determine negotiations are looking at? Word-on-the-street-ometers?

Of course they're looking at her big movie success and her successful TV show, etc.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
If she pulled it off, good for her!

Is she as good as Chris rock or dave? nope

You get as much as you can negotiate. She's no different than anyone else working.

another thing is -- stand-up is enjoying good numbers right now, but lots of these comedians understand that stand-up has historically been popular in waves

make that money while you can, or end up playing cruise ships or showing up on Sandler's doorstep hat in hand

Can't knock her hustle. Try to get more.

Dave and Chris can walk in, ask for a pay cheque, and do whatever bit they want. They're at that point in their careers where they can trickle drip the content and folks will pay. Schumer not so much, but can't hurt to demand.

This too.

You're worth whatever somebody's willing to pay you.

Naw, women do get paid less. Your worth is determined by a system that pays women less.

iammeiam

I mean good for her. Get your money. But I hate when we talk about the wage gap only in context of men making more money than women and ignore the race gap that goes right along with it.

Not really in context of professional comedians. But just in general. My wife and I can speak of personal experience with that one and it's infuriating.

FWIW, the information the article in the OP has comes from this Variety article that's been linked a few times, and it does touch on the race gap as well as the gender gap and the overall systemic problems and how lack of opportunity is also a massive issue.

Servbot24

Banned
Good for her. She has every right to try and get a good payout.

That doesn't mean I think she deserves it, because I don't think she's as funny as Chapelle. In turn, there are plenty of men who I don't think are as funny as her and I wouldn't pay as much as her.

What I think doesn't really matter though, since only Netflix knows how much her gig is worth.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Whats a good comparison? What do you think the businessmen that determine negotiations are looking at? Word-on-the-street-ometers?

They're definitely not looking at a documentary about a music festival from 2005 that opened in 1,200 theaters.

I'm not even insulting Amy here, I've no reason to dislike her, but Dave Chappelle coming back to do hIs special were a massive draw for people. It was like TFA for comedy or something, shit was a huge event. So while Amy is definitely popular, she's not Dave Chappelle's comeback popular, so of course Dave would get more than her.

I'm not really sure how popular Chris Rock is anymore, though, so I can't form in an opinion there.

Does she deserve $20 mil?

Nope.

Does Sandler deserve whatever his paycut is?

Fuck no.

But Netflix thought they were looking at the data, so my opinion means zilch. Suprise! The world isn't 100% based on merit. (Or it is because she's pulling in numbers I guess)

The most 'eye-roll' worthy part might be the leaning on feminism and the current political during negotiations, but y'all are lying if you think you wouldn't do the same. I'd go all in on that! It's just business.

Lothars

Women get paid less than men -> "well maybe they should learn to negotiate like men do!"

Woman negotiates for higher pay, is successful -> "fuck that she doesn't deserve it!"
Exactly, I really don't get why people in this thread is shitting on her for this

Umm I pay for Netflix. It is my money and if they want to waste it on this garbage fine, I can cancel.
Which you should if your whining like this. Not everything they make is going to be for everyone.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
This right here. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to be paid equally, but she honestly isn't on that level yet. When she hits that level, then damn straight pay her the same.

That's like me walking into a new job and demanding I be paid the same as the vet who has been doing the same job I'm coming into for 20 years. I might be able to do many of the same tasks, but I haven't earned that pay level yet.

This is an entertainment delivery company you're talking about here.
If two different people are both providing content that's getting roughly the same number of people to watch their content and be satisfied with their entertainment delivery product, paying them the same amount is the right thing to do. To pay someone less because they don't meet some arbitrary level as the other person is nonsensical.

For your analogy - if you walk into a job and you can do the same job to the same level of quality as the 20-year vet, and can deliver the same outcomes for the company and generate the same income, why should you get paid less? Let go of the concept of having to be loyal to be rewarded, unless you never want a raise again.

Vice

As a stand up comedian, Amy Schumer is not more popular than Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle.

Kevin Hart is definitely bigger than all 3 right now.

Right now, or more accurately a year ago, I'd say she was. She was doing the whole arena tour thing and her movie had just made bank. She is one of the biggest comedians of her generation and the most popular female comedian by far.

What a whiney lady, really dislike her as an entertainer. Does she not realise that she is barely worth half of those two mentioned?

How do these knuckle draggers bring this back to gender?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Good on her for negotiating a better deal. Netflix wouldn't pay her if she didn't have the numbers to back it up. Talented or not that's all that really matters. Jeff Dunham and Adam Sandler have made massive careers despite being complete hacks and at her worst she is still better than those two.

I want to like Amy but her material is too inconsistent for me. Her standup has never really done much for me, but her CC show had some seriously fantastic bits and sketches, but were then surrounded by a ton of really mediocre to bad ones.

That said I didn't find Chappelle's latest standup on Netflix to be all that great. Far cry from his Killin' Them Softly and For What It's Worth specials.

What do you think the businessmen that determine negotiations are looking at?

many metrics
ratings/box office, of course, but also:

the performer in question's quote is a good starting point, but also how that quote is trending is useful as well, can't let the competition outbid you after all

social media mentions

live ticket sale trends/venues

demographic data - if your stand-up content is primarily being watched by males, having more female representation could attract a different, more female demo to the content, more subs, more $, it's elementary

their own internal lineup -- if they have users that love to watch stand-up, and there's no new stand-up scheduled, they might lose users, just having that extra line on a list of upcoming projects adds huge perceived value to the subscription, even if the users aren't interested in that particular project, it instills confidence that the service is heavily investing in original content, validating your $10 even further, and making you feel smart for getting so much for it

subscriber data is also a huge resource for Netflix, each show has its own internal data that Netflix programs algorithms with

many of those algorithms can be used to predict what sort of content large portions of users/potential users might be interested in viewing/subbing for

basic cost/benefit analysis

Aselith

They're definitely not looking at a documentary about a music festival from 2005 that opened in 1,200 theaters.

Things get put in small numbers of theaters because they won't do better in more. If Chapelle headlining would have put more asses in seats they would have released it in more theaters.

Chappelle's comeback was a big deal but he only really did well in stand up and his TV show and didn't parlay that into much else. So yeah his comedy comeback was a big deal... in comedy. But Schumer has been successful many times beyond what Chappelle was.

That's why Schumer can command Dave Chappelle numbers without the prestiege, she's proven she's an earner.

Good for her. More people from all walks of life should demand greater compensation for their work.
When this gender pay inequity discussion gets to the the levels of 11 and 20 million dollars for people who work five days a year, I really lose interest.
Five days a year. okay.gif
I dont care for her, but if she is as popular (i dont think she is) then she has every right. If she's not, she shouldnt get paid just because shes a women.

Pay all based on their ticket sales and talent. Gender shouldnt have any influence on that.
Why do you think she's getting paid that because she's a woman? She got a raise because she demanded it. Now, I'd bet that the initial pay she got was lower, because she's a woman.
Ehhh she already earns like millions c'mon this can't be serious...
How so any hard workig person would dream to get paid like that complaining about money when you earn millions is a bit entitled imo.
I think you probably make enough money at your job. No raise for you.

You'd be surprised to learn the new hires at your job level probably make equal to your pay right off the bat (or certainly not 20 years of raises less).

Merc_

yeah, we're seeing some of the results of that here too

No POC should be caping for her, man.

a2li3cW.jpg

many metrics
ratings/box office, of course, but also:

the performer in question's quote is a good starting point, but also how that quote is trending is useful as well, can't let the competition outbid you after all

social media mentions

live ticket sale trends/venues

their own internal lineup -- if they have users that love to watch stand-up, and there's no new stand-up scheduled, they might lose users, just having that extra line on a list of upcoming projects adds huge perceived value to the subscription, even if the users aren't interested in that particular project

subscriber data is also a huge resource for Netflix, each show has its own internal data that Netflix programs algorithms with

many of those algorithms can be used to predict what sort of content large portions of users might be interested in viewing/keeping their subscription for

cost/benefit analysis

Google trends has Amy Schumer being more popular overall online than Chris Rock.

Out of the history of Hollywood, you don't believe there's a slant against women making money? It's quite obvious that it has nothing to do with talent or sales.

Top Bottom