• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime recommendations for someone who feels like they have watched all the good ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryke

Rurouni Kenshin, but more importantly the OVA Tsuiokuhen.
Clannad + After Story
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Great Teacher Onizuka
Full Metal Panic
Non Non Biyori
Gintama
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
D-frag (so underrated)
Shokugeki no Souma
Love Lab
Lucky Star
Kino's Journey

Umibozu

lol, at the people saying ''now and then, here and there''. It's a good anime but it gets really dark and depressing. (I own it btw)

Def Perfect Blue if you haven't seen it yet.

As far as series go, how about Shigirui (Death Frenzy)? I found it while looking for things similar to Berserk.. suffice to say it gets similarly pretty fucked up at times. It's certainly alot more "adult" than alot of anime, and not in a manime tits blood and cursing kind of way. Just gonna cop the synopsis from wiki:
The story begins in 1629 Shizuoka during Tokugawa Tadanaga's rule. The daimyo staged a tournament where the participants fought with real steel Japanese swords rather than bokken ("wooden sword"), against his vassals' strong objection. The story revolves around the first match between the one-armed swordsman Fujiki Gennosuke and the blind samurai Irako Seigen and deals with the circumstances that led the two to participate in Tokugawa's tournament.

Going by the list you're posted, it looks like you've barely scratched the surface. It's basically a compilation of the most popular and widely exposed anime in the West. You have to go a whole lot deeper than that before you can begin to entertain the thought that you've watched everything worth watching.

I highly encourage you to visit the link MetroidPrimeRib posted:

There are a wealth of links in this post containing a boatload of information to guide you into finding anime to watch. It'll be a lot more productive to go through that than have your eyes glaze over a list of context-less names.

I'll give you a few points of attack to start digging into what anime has to offer though.

1. Osamu Dezaki. The master who pioneered many of the tricks used to squeeze emotional power out of limited animation. He is an unparalleled director of entertaining melodrama. His most important works are Aim for the Ace, Oniisama e, Space Adventure Cobra, and the Black Jack OVAs. After you've seen those, you can check out Tomorrow's Joe, Nobody's Child, Rose of Versailles, and Golgo 13: The Professional.

2. World Masterpiece Theater. A classic programming block adapting classic works of children's literature from around the world. Isao Takahata's shows in this slot are its pinnacle, marrying his skilled eye for grounded human interaction with strong material. Start with Anne of Green Gables, then go to Heidi, Girl of the Alps and Marco, 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother.

3. Mamoru Oshii. One of the most distinctive voices in anime. Directed contemplative, atmospheric films with a focus on ideas over characters. He got his breakthrough in Urusei Yatsura - watching his run of the TV show is recommended, though not necessary to watch the amazingly surreal Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer. Patlabor is another major franchise he worked on, personally handling the first OVA series and the first two movies. Patlabor Movie 2 is my personal favorite of his works, with really strong atmosphere and a good examination of how easy it can be for a country under the fear of terror to slip into military rule. Angel's Egg, Gosenzosama Banbanzai, and Ghost in the Shell are other works of his which are mandatory viewing.

I could go on and on, but hopefully that's enough for starters to convince you that there are large gaps in your viewing that have to be handled before you can really say you're knowledgeable about the field of anime, let alone have exhausted everything good that's ever been made.

User 406

Banned
Yeah, you're not even close to done.

3x3 Eyes
Aim for the Ace
Air Master
Akagi
Ashita no Joe
Azumanga Daioh
Bastard
Detroit Metal City
Future Boy Conan
Genshiken
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Gokusen
H2
Hajime no Ippo
Hikaru no Go
His and Her Circumstances
Hyper Police
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Kaiji
Kodomo no Omocha
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Mahoujin Guru Guru
Maison Ikkoku
Miyuki
Moyashimon
Nadia
One Outs
Parasyte
Patlabor
Ping Pong Club
Princess Nine
Ranma 1/2
Rose of Versailles
Ruroni Kenshin
Saishuuheiki Kanojo
Sergeant Keroro
Shigurui
Slam Dunk
Slayers
Stellvia of the Universe
Touch
Urusei Yatsura
Yakitate Japan
Yawara

haikira

Planetes OP
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. While I doubt it's considered a classic, I remember Planetes being quite a charming and fun little show. It's been a while since I've seen it though.

Cromartie Highschool Op
Noticed this on the front page. This is one I'd forgotten about. Been a while since I've seen it, but I remember digging it's peculiar sense of humour.

EDIT:

Seirei no Moribito Op
Oh. One other I remember enjoying, which I don't see listed. Seirei no Moribito. Like my other recommendations, it's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being pretty good.

tumblr_n8dbuge9601r2khjovq.gif

Necrovex

One Piece. Catch up on that and then I will tell you about other good shows.

He should wait for the One Pace team to edit out the filler in some of the earlier arcs. One Piece without fillers is sublime.

Also Hajime no Ippo remains one of my favorite shows. Watch it, OP!

I also found LotGH to be extremely dry. One of the few Gaf's recommendations that didn't click with me.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned already but haven't seen anyone mention Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. Same director of Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica.

SalvaPot

My personal favorites not on your list are:

Gintama
One Piec
Ranma 1/2
Space Brothers
Silver Spoon
Cromatie High school.

Platy

Go for the classics

Yu Yu, Ranma, Rayearth, Rurouni Kenshin, Saint Seiya ....

Also Gintama because you will get all the references =P

KeRaSh

One Piece for sure.
I also really enjoyed D. Gray Man. Unfortunately it aprubtly ends at some point but everything until that point is worth it in my books.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Track down Macross Plus and Giant Robo, still two of the best OAV series ever made.

Yes. How these two aren't one's second or third stop in the sci-fi genre of anime is beyond me. You should also watch the original Superdimensional Fortress Macross for completion's sake.

And yes, all the Satoshi Kon. All of it.

Tenck

lol, at the people saying ''now and then, here and there''. It's a good anime but it gets really dark and depressing. (I own it btw)

Just because it gets dark and depressing doesn't mean it shouldn't be recommended. He watched Monster and Berserk. Both of them are fucked up too.

Walpurgis

Banned
I wasn't going to recommend some super great stuff but then you called Attack on Titan bad. Now I am boycotting this thread.

Tenck

I'm seeing that you've skipped out on Birdy the mighty Decode. And you believe you've watched all the good ones? Pfffft.

Also no Patlabor or Ranma? You've got a lot of work to do bro.

Raxephon.
Hajime no Ippo
Kids on the Slope
Mushi Shi
Gintama
Great Teacher Onizuka
Welcome the the NHK

SoldatJ

Neo Member
Based on your list you seem to mainly like things with action or things that are geared toward a more mature audience. These are the anime that I think would fit your taste:

Shiki
Full Metal Panic!
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
Ping Pong
Top wo Nerae 2! Diebuster (Aim for the top 2!)

If you can't find something you like from everyone's comments, I recommend using anidb.net. It's an anime database, and is fairly reliable as far as ratings go. As a final note, I would really recommend trying other genres of anime, namely comedy. It feels like you're missing out on some good ones by only honing in on one or two genres.

That list looks very normie and pretentious, lots of those series are just trash but it is your lucky day, i'm going to fix that for ya!

Must Watch:

All Gundams (except Turn A)
K-ON
NHK Ni Youkoso
Oreimo
Saekano
White Album 2
All Kyoani Anime (really)
Valvrave S1
Cross Ange
Non non Biyori
Accel World
Amagami
Yosuga no sora
Carnival Phantasm (after watched all fate series and played Tsukihime VN)
ef
Mikakunin
Eve no Jikan
Gunbuster/Diebuster
Kill la Kill
Love Live
Wake Up Girls
All im@s series
Sakura Trick
The Monogatari series

Your life will be way better with all this.

Prototype

-Flcl
-Gurren Lagen
-Kill la kill (fuck the haters, it's simple fun)
-Parasyte
-When supernatural battles became common place
-Little Witch Academia
-Queen Emeraldas (an older OVA, but so damn good)
- Wolf's Rain

Thats all I can think of now that you didn't list.

Edit. As other have mentioned,
- Mushishi

Edit2.
How could I forget!
- Knights of Sidonia (again, fuck the haters)

squidyj

You should try these directors.

Mamoru Hosoda
- Wolf Children
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- Summer Wars
Makoto Shinkai
- The Place Promised in Our Early Days
- 5 CM Per Second
- The Garden of Words
- Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Satoshi Kon
- Tokyo Godfathers
- Paprika
- Millennium Actress
- Perfect Blue
Mamoru Oshii
- some stuff, brah

And these series

Ergo Proxy
Paranoia Agent (Satoshi Kon again)
Ping Pong
Tatami Galaxy
Gundam 8th MS Team
FLCL
Michiko to Hatchin
Planetes
Haibane Renmei
Revolutionary Girl Utena

And these films

Sword of the Stranger
Wings of Honneamise
Jin-Roh Wolf Brigade
Colorful
Grave of the Fireflies
Lupin The Third: The Castle of Cagliostro
Metropolis

I've also personally enjoyed

Ranma 1/2
Love Hina
Golden Boy
Kino's Journey
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu

I keep adding to the list as I think of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom