• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime recommendations for someone who feels like they have watched all the good ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shokugeki (food wars) is so awesome. Honestly probably my AOTY. Its just so much fun, the soundtrack is also great and the animation is top notch and very consistent. Honestly going to be so sad when it ends.

Battle Time!

Give Gundam Build Fighters a shot. The first one with Sei. Im not a huge gundam fan but it was very enjoyable and it pushed me more into gundam. Soundtrack is also dope.
Six times the Passion of an Ordinary Flamenco

You can watch all of Build fighters on Gundams official youtube channel GundamInfo

I dont see sword of the stranger there. I can recommend that just for the action scenes.

Watch mamoru hosoda films aswell. Ame and Yuki wold children + summer wars for the feel good one.

Oniai

It's a really hilarious and genuinely fun anime, I would suggest to anyone who's feeling down as it would be sure to lift you up.

Now attempted incest is a plot point but I implore anyone who starts to keep watching to the end, it's worth it.

Also another warning an 8 year old girl character is introduced and some of the plot with her is kinda creepy, but nothing outright.

Umibozu

Just because it gets dark and depressing doesn't mean it shouldn't be recommended. He watched Monster and Berserk. Both of them are fucked up too.
I agree with you that my comment was shortsighted, my comment wasn't meant to deter anyone. I just felt that if one isn't prepared for what's to come in the anime it can leave a bad taste for them and scare them off. That was why I had some hesitancy in people recommending the anime.
Also the berserk anime is very watered down and sometimes even missing the truly disturbed plot points found in the manga, but that's a different matter.

Parasyte
Elfen Lied
Gantz
Goldenboy
Bastard
Cyber City Oedo 808
Wicked City
Goku: Midnight Eye
Full Metal Panic & Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Perfect Blue
Kino's Journey

Gravidee

Read or Die OVA.

It's 3 episodes long, so it's not a massive investment. It's also pretty damn good.

It's a nice 3 episodes, and I wish whatever came after had followed up on the same tone and quality. But ROD the TV was trash that tried to emulate the OVAs, yet failed miserably in the process.

Lol don't listen to many of them.

Tiger and Bunny for instance is just pure shite from start to finish.

What's wrong with you?

phaze

Loads of stuff already mentioned but all the heathens in this thread forgot Kyousougiga
tumblr_nk57x9CzcE1s8eeeeo1_500.gif

Other than that, backing up:
FLCL
Gunbuster+Diebuster
Lain
Tatami Galaxy
Shigurui
Mononoke

Kansoku

These + their sequels (put some comedies in there too):

Mushishi
Kino no Tabi
Mononoke
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Casshern Sins
Monogatari Series
Durarara!!
Eve No Jikan
The Tatami Galaxy
Nichijou
Mawaru Penguindrum
Hyouka
Aku no Hana
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Shirobako
Texhnolyze
Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Ergo Proxy
Seirei no Moribito
Dennou Coil
Baccano!
Higashi no Eden
Kuchuu Buranko
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Hanasaku Iroha
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199
Spice & Wolf
Gatchaman Crowds
Kyousougiga
Noragami
Death Parade
NHK ni Youkoso!
ef: A tale of Memories

Movies:

Paprika
Sakasama no Patema
Millenium Actress
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Byoukoso 5cm
Tenshi no Tamago

You havent watched a lot of good stuff(hokuto.....)

Recently Ping Pong is the best thing made for tv this decade (not just anime).Watch it. its as perfect as tv gets

Firemind

Mate. You haven't even watched the top ten best anime. Deemed by yours truly of course. Maybe Cowboy Bebop belongs there if it wasn't for a few weak episodes like Boogie Woogie Feng Shui and Brain Scratch. Great anime should have ambition, but the greatest should also be succinct with an excellent screenplay on top of the animation, score, designs etc. Anime where I believe start strong and stay strong throughout:

Akira
Azumanga Daioh
FLCL
Kamichu
Macross Plus
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Nodame Cantabile
Summer Wars
The Tatami Galaxy

It's a nice 3 episodes, and I wish whatever came after had followed up on the same tone and quality. But ROD the TV was trash that tried to emulate the OVAs, yet failed miserably in the process.

Owning both, I rather enjoyed the R.O.D the TV. It's more character action then action-action, though it has some nice fights in it.

Spends much more time dealing with the plot, the characters, etc, and looks pretty good for it's day.

Gravidee

Owning both, I rather enjoyed the R.O.D the TV. It's more character action then action-action, though it has some nice fights in it.

Spends much more time dealing with the plot, the characters, etc, and looks pretty good for it's day.

I think it had good intentions, and there were a few genuinely good moments like the reunion with
Yomiko and Nancy

However...

That still doesn't excuse Joker and his assistant becoming villains out of nowhere, not to mention that whole nonsensical plot with the Mr. Gentleman stuff. The OVAs were pretty zany, but I find a revived Jean Henri Fabre riding a giant grasshopper somehow more believable and entertaining than pterosaurs and giant UFOs appearing with little reason than as references to some old books. The TV also took the overthetopness to a whole new level. The sinking of the entirety of Hong Kong was just plain stupid, and with little consequence for the Paper Sisters, who were pretty much responsible for possibly a couple million deaths from that incident alone. What else? Getting rid of and burning every book in the world is one the stupidest plots in an anime I've ever seen. Somehow Joker has Death Star sized facilities beneath the city of London. And Anita's frequent emotional outcries were pretty grating on the ears, and could be pretty annoying.

Personally, I'd like a reboot of this series if possible. There's a lot of potential here and I'm sure the majority of the characters can be reused or repurposed in some instances. Yomiko is a very quirky yet strong female lead and I'd like to see a new story maximize her potential.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
You seem to have pretty similar taste in anime to me, OP (at least you put Berserk and Monster at the top of your list, which I mighta done too). I know people have probably recommended some of these, but others maybe not:

- Welcome to the NHK
- Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey)
- Hajime no Ippo
- Paranoia Agent
- Mouryou no Hako
- Mahjong Legend Akagi
- Great Teacher Onizuka
- FLCL
- Gantz

Sounds like there's still a good amount of awesome shows out there for you to watch, but most of what I'd recommend is pre-2006, as I have found that things got not so great after moe started taking over everything.

Madidas

Neo Member
Just ongoing anime....

Comedy with some ecchi thrown in.
Nothing to heavy stuff, more like turn brains off and watch for laughs.

Kangoku Gakuen (Prison School) <- First includes most ecchi.
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou (Monster girls)
Jitsu wa Watashi wa (Vampire and a guy who cant keep secrets)
Working!!! (Now running third season)

Toxi

Banned
Gonna give Turn A Gundam a recommendation. It's rather relaxed and slow-paced for a Gundam show, but the characterization is excellent and virtually every character is likable in some fashion. The animation is pleasant to look at with distinct character designs and the early 20th century-style setting sets up an interesting contrast with the more futuristic technology. The music is done by Yoko Kanno (who worked on Cowboy Beebop) and is fantastic.

Mexen

Anime GAF really came through. Great recommendations.

Goodbye Mr. Despair, Daily Lives of High School Boys and; Idiots, Tests and Summoned Beings are my recommendations.

The World God Only Knows has one helluva opening theme. Check it out!

AfroDust

Haikyu: The fucking best volleyball anime you've ever seen.

Terror in Resonance
Birdy the Mighty
High School Rumble
Angel Beats
Durarara
Soul Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom