• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparent JURASSIC WORLD (JP4) pitch/concept/proof footage leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Ok. I think a lot of people don't realize what a concept/pitch trailer is. I put a disclaimer at the top of the page to hopefully clarify a bit.

Well in that case why don't you tell us what the pitch is supposed to be because it's not clear to me. What's the narrative? Who's the protagonist? What fresh take on the material is this?

Because if someone came to me with that glorified VFX reel and told me that was a pitch for a film I'd attack said person with a length of rubber hose.

Well in that case why don't you tell us what the pitch is supposed to be because it's not clear to me. What's the narrative? Who's the protagonist? What fresh take on the material is this?

Because if someone came to me with that glorified VFX reel and told me that was a pitch for a film I'd attack said person with a length of rubber hose.

Its not meant for our eyes. Its very likely that the old version of the JP4 script opened with surfers being attacked by the Pteranodons (just like the Sayles version opened with a little league game attacked). This was done by an outside VFX studio to add a little flair to the pitch, show how a scene could play out. Its not by ILM nor is it meant to sell the story or VFX quality. It was simply to try to get execs excited at a new Jurassic Park film.

Busty

Banned
Its not meant for our eyes. Its very likely that the old version of the JP4 script opened with surfers being attacked by the Pteranodons (just like the Sayles version opened with a little league game attacked). This was done by an outside VFX studio to add a little flair to the pitch, show how a scene could play out. Its not by ILM nor is it meant to sell the story or VFX quality. It was simply to try to get execs excited at a new Jurassic Park film.

I've never heard of that. Visual pitches don't just take individual scenes from a draft of a script and recreate them using low end VFX (understandably for a pitch) with almost no visual flair. Especially for a sequel. Unless of course said sequel was taking a different route visually or was taking a radically different approach like the human-dino hybrids.

A visual pitch is usually a specific presentation to demonstrate the looks and feel of a film. What was shown displays none of that. It's just flying dinosaurs..., ahh but the twist here is that they are gobbling up surfers.

LIke I said it just doesn't ring true to me at all. Something about this feels off.

I've never heard of that. Visual pitches don't just take individual scenes from a draft of a script and recreate them using low end VFX (understandably for a pitch) with almost no visual flair. Especially for a sequel. Unless of course said sequel was taking a different route visually or was taking a radically different approach like the human-dino hybrids.

A visual pitch is usually a specific presentation to demonstrate the looks and feel of a film. What was shown displays none of that. It's just flying dinosaurs..., ahh but the twist here is that they are gobbling up surfers.

LIke I said it just doesn't ring true to me at all. Something about this feels off.

I suppose this questioned could only be answered by @_RyanTurek (who apparently saw it early and knows info) and Iain Mcaig, who showed off the reel.

Also:

SdfeIO5.png

Visual pitches are usually a collage of artwork and scenes from other movies and shit to evoke a certain look. Find the daredevil pitch on youtube to see what I mean. I mean the only thing to take away from this alleged pitch is that Colin trevorrow was telling the studio that he really wants to make a campy sharktopus like film.

Turek is being countered by Pablo Hidalgo of Lucasfilm, who says it was a teaser for a videogame project that never came to fruition. The game had the name Jurassic World before the movie's recent namechange.

Turek is being countered by Pablo Hidalgo of Lucasfilm, who says it was a teaser for a videogame project that never came to fruition. The game had the name Jurassic World before the movie's recent namechange.

Why would a video game use live footage? I've never heard of that. It would be a cg render or tech demo if it was for a game

^ Yup. Or rather, why would a game use live footage in such a complicated way? There is no way this is for a game, especially since most game sources are saying it isn't.

Pablo also admitted to having no involvement with the project and was uncertain about details. Its very possible he got that one wrong, especially since Iain said it was pitched to Spielberg/Kennedy.

Here's the pertinent exchange from Pablo.

O1HC70N.png

What's interesting is that this discussion happened almost 12 hours before this Ryan guy started popping off on twitter just now.

Busty

Banned
I suppose this questioned could only be answered by @_RyanTurek (who apparently saw it early and knows info) and Iain Mcaig, who showed off the reel.

Also:

SdfeIO5.png

Like I said I'm assuming that nothing about this is or was ever officially sanctioned by Universal instead this was some outside team or VFX vendor that was looking for work and submitted a VFX reel that just happens to have the same title that the studio chose for the fourth film in the series.

Either that or it's for an unrelated project that uses the property but isn't associated with the actual producers of the film.

Visual pitches are usually a collage of artwork and scenes from other movies and shit to evoke a certain look. Find the daredevil pitch on youtube to see what I mean. I mean the only thing to take away from this alleged pitch is that Colin trevorrow was telling the studio that he really wants to make a campy sharktopus like film.

This. And given that Universal honestly thought that they could produce a JP film (from pre to post production) in a little over a year just shows that the film is (or certainly was) likely neither epic or ambitious.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I know it isn't, but I'd at least expect it to be somewhat indicative of the quality they're aiming for.

Pitch videos are pretty much never indicative of the quality they're aiming for. Thinking this is a reflection of what will end up on the screen in the final film is like watching those previz animatics of Star Wars and thinking that's what the effects will be. This is purely to give the potential funding people a moving image to latch onto. It's the equivalent of a Powerpoint presentation.

It's good to know that this pitch had nothing todo with trevorrow. However I'm various curious if the current script is still related to the Jaffa/Silver script. I was impressed by planet of the Apes and was initially excited for there take however if it was going to be identical to apes in that dinosaurs running amok in cities then I'm glad If its being redone into an actual park. Spielberg's involvement does kind of give me the willies though since it was his idea at the last minute to change the whole final act of TLW to be about trex rampaging through San Diego and I def don't want more of that.

xam3l

That logo at the end looks awesome.
I like it more than the recent announced one.
jurassicworldsnsti.gif

Jurassic World doesn't sound that bad IMO. I just hope that they keep everything around the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom