• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Van Owen

Banned
iOS apps port over easily. The only reason they have to not support the ATV is pushing their Fire boxes.

Not really since those devices are sold at a loss or cost, and they're on Roku and even put 4K content on Roku 4 when they just came out with a 4K Fire Tv box.

Raistlin

Not really since those devices are sold at a loss or cost, and they're on Roku and even put 4K content on Roku 4 when they just came out with a 4K Fire Tv box.
I came to post this, though since you already have I'll play some devil's advocate.

1) Roku is #1. So putting their content there doesn't mean they won't play favorites versus the smaller marketshare competitors.

2) Roku doesn't own services that are directly competing

3) Roku doesn't charge as much as Apple to my knowledge

giga

Yes, and it's available as an app for Windows, Android, Fire OS, etc.

No reason to assume it won't be released a la Plex.
Yet not on the App Store. Those platforms are far more open than the App Store. I don't see it coming unless they want to change what XBMC traditionally stands for.

Raistlin

Yet not on the App Store. Those platforms are far more open than the App Store. I don't see it coming unless they want to change what XBMC traditionally stands for.
Read my edit

They have changed what XMBC stands for. That was the point of rebranding it to Kodi.

Raistlin

If it's not a full distro, then sure, I could see it on the store. But I haven't seen any indication they would want to move in that direction.
They already have lol. That's why they rebranded.

Kodi is available as apps on Android, Fire TV, Windows, etc

giga

They already have lol. That's why they rebranded.

Kodi is available as apps on Android, Fire TV, Windows, etc
Those first two platforms are far more open than the App Store, so it's not the same. I don't see it on the Windows Store.

Raistlin

Those first two platforms are far more open than the App Store, so it's not the same. I don't see it on the Windows Store.
The point of the app store is to be open. As long as an app follows the guidelines, Apple is expected to approve them. That's the whole point.

Will the Kodi team invest the time and money to develop for it? I don't know, but they have been heading in the direction of Plex. It's all coming full circle.

giga

The point of the app store is to be open. As long as an app follows the guidelines, Apple is expected to approve them.

Will the Kodi team invest the time and money to develop for it? I don't know, but they have been heading in the direction of Plex. It's all coming full circle.
Are we talking about the same Apple App Store here? Kodi as we know it won't be the same if they follow the rules. No file system access, no plugins, limited hardware codec support, etc.

Raistlin

Are we talking about the same Apple App Store here? Kodi as we know it won't be the same if they follow the rules. No file system access, no plugins, limited hardware codec support, etc.
Well of course, whatever the rules are.

As for hardware codec support though, that has nothing to do with the app store ... that's hardware based.

There are iOS apps with software decoding of containers and codecs that aren't part of the standard SDK, so afaik that isn't against the rules.

giga

Well of course, whatever the rules are.

As for hardware codec support though, that has nothing to do with the app store ... that's hardware based.

There are iOS apps with software decoding of containers and codecs that aren't part of the standard SDK, so afaik that isn't against the rules.
Right, what I'm saying it's a big departure from what Kodi traditionally is known for. AFAIK, they haven't gone down that route yet.

chadskin

1. Will Kodi run on the AppleTV?
- not until it is ported. The normal iOS version of Kodi will not run on it.

2. Will It need to be jailbroken?
- For "easy" deployment there will be the need for a jailbreak again.

3. will the porting work be considered worth?
- Looks like someone is willing to do that work.

4. Will Kodi be in the AppStore for the new AppleTV
- No it won't for the same reasons that the normal iOS version is not in the AppStore

5. Is there any timeline or can you maybe do it faster and also please deliver a jailbreak the second this device can be bought.
- No no no no no no - now shut up and do something else for a couple of months.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238524

64 GB
Delivers: Nov 2 - Nov 4

MLFQ2

$12.99 ???

timmy plz

Tobor

No store pick up option? I think I'm going to take my chances and try to snag one as soon as possible in store.

Finally going to get rid of that clunky silver remote from the old Apple TV. That thing is such a pain to use with the interface. That alone is worth the price.

ordered 64GB even though i still basically do not understand why i need it given the download limits — i just assume that since they're selling it at all, there must be a use case. less fridge cleaning i guess?

anyway, pretty excited. my regular apple TV has been a great servant for over three years, even though it is kind of not a great product. will be happy to say goodbye to the remote alone.

Finally going to get rid of that clunky silver remote from the old Apple TV. That thing is such a pain to use with the interface. That alone is worth the price.

Text entry is still gonna suck for username/password fields, but hopefully it'll be eliminated for basic searching.

jayvo

Ordered a 64 GB version. This revision needed to happen more than anything. Have no idea why I would need the space. Anyone know if you can download movies or TV shows onto it for offline viewing? I ask because my current Apple TV is the worst when it comes to streaming content. Really hoping this new one is better at streaming overall or at least lets you download some movies or shows to it.

:(

I'm going great with the 32gb one, I'm mostly going to use it for streaming and apps are limited to 200mb initial downloads. I see no reason to get the 64gb version.

I also tried to convince myself I wouldn't need 64GB, but considering I lasted 5 years with the 2nd gen and just sold it for 160$+ on eBay, thought I'd future proof myself just in case.

Yup. And 3D/Force Touch and a speaker in the remote.

A microphone/speaker in the base unit so you can interact with it Amazon Echo style would be nice too.

I guess a cool thing about the price is that I wouldn't mind upgrading every year, unlike a phone or a tablet.

ngower

Pretty jazzed for the larger remote. I lose the silver one about three or four times a week. That thing will find the tiniest of cracks and disappear (she said). It's infuriating.

Gascoigne

Banned
I almost ordered one and then noticed it had no optical out port. Looks like I'll be using my third gen model until I can get a Roku.

mcfrank

Ordered a 64 for the living room and a 32 for the bedroom. With what I have saved not having cable the last 3 years, it seems like a bargain for the upgrades.

Top Bottom