• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ashamed of being a gamer/nerd in public?

.Anema

This is actually pretty disgusting.

It is basically mocking a child over a mistake because she disagrees with an adults' conscious life choices.

And correlating the same negative image of teen pregnancy to 'nerdy' hobbies. Which, coming from a guy who made some horrendous correlations earlier in the thread, is really, really shitty.

Pregnant teen girls get infinitely more shit throw at them than gamers ever have and ever will. That's a terrible meme.

lol white knights.
The meme its pretty obvious to overthink about it...

420bits

35 years old, been gaming since I was old enough to have something to game on (spectrum, c64, amiga, nes, sega, 486 sx 25mhz, playstation, playstation 2, playstation 3, xbox 360, playstation 4, "monster-pc") and I don't have any plans on stopping doing what I enjoy nor will I ever be ashamed of it.

I don't refer myself as a gamer to the general public and I don't talk endlessly about videogames to people who don't have any interest in it. But to my friends who do play games there is a lot of talk about new games, old games, upcoming games and so on.

Ones life is a whole lot easier once you realize that you shouldn't care what others think about you and your life, if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, then game on!

35 years old, been gaming since I was old enough to have something to game on (spectrum, c64, amiga, nes, sega, 486 sx 25mhz, playstation, playstation 2, playstation 3, xbox 360, playstation 4, "monster-pc") and I don't have any plans on stopping doing what I enjoy nor will I ever be ashamed of it.

I don't refer myself as a gamer to the general public and I don't talk endlessly about videogames to people who don't have any interest in it. But to my friends who do play games there is a lot of talk about new games, old games, upcoming games and so on.

Ones life is a whole lot easier once you realize that you shouldn't care what others think about you and your life, if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, then game on!

This. People also resonate with confidence in something you like. If you are awkward about it and act embarrassed people will feel awkward. If you are proud of it and don't act like a anti-social dweeb there is no reason for people to not accept that part of you.

krang

Yeah I am, and I tend to keep that part of me hidden in public. My wife is probably one of the few people who understands my level of nerdiness, but she's happy with it.

I even generally keep my conversations about gaming low-key with people I meet who are also into it. Only because, from experience, I can take that conversation up to 11 and all of a sudden I'm not just a cool person to chat about games with, anymore! There's only a couple of people I have become comfortable enough with to open up with conversations on lore etc.

I do have the odd subtle shirt which gives it away (I have a pretty discreet ODST shirt and Slusho shirt I wear out, for example), but that's about it.

I saw at least a dozen people wearing digimon shirts today for the first day of classes. I want one.

I'm always weird about my gaming shirts it has to be at least a little subtle(?). Like for instance I wouldn't wear a shirt that says "Resident Evil" in giant lettering on the front BUT I would absolutely wear a shirt that said something like "Raccoon City Police" or something of that sort. Or just logos, that works as well.

jax

Banned
Why would I? If someone can't respect who I am, why would I respect what they think of me? Who cares if some asshole thinks I'm weird for playing a handheld in public, it's likely the only gaming experience he knows is angry birds. I feel bad for that guy, honestly. They go out of their way to never experience a specific type of media. When the first films released there were probably people who thought "movies? Who the fuck would watch those when there's music to listen to, pass."

People who hate gamers have likely never played a video game in their life. They're missing out on some of the best entertainment experiences to ever exist. They're fools. Feel bad for them. The opinion of a fool doesn't effect me.

Vitten

I think gamers or anything game related has outgrown the 'nerd-status' quite some time ago. Whenever I'm at game store there's a very diverse public and I see all sorts of people around me playing mobile games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What's to be ashamed of? I love video games, and I work in the video game industry because of that love.

It's not like I'm less of a person.

It does help that I live in Japan, a country that has never had a stigma around video games as a hobby.

To answer op, maybe? I dislike a lot of "gamer" apparel, so I don't wear any. I don't get into long, heated debates about videogames when I'm out in public.

I'm not bothered when I'm waiting in line to buy videogame related items though. and fyi I'm in my 30s too.

I'm not ashamed of it. In fact, I'm very open about it.

If I can respect the guy in front of me for who he is, he sure as hell can be respectful about the kind of person I am.

Rurunaki

No reason to. When everyone you encounter has a smartphone and in some way or another plays a mobile game, there's no point in being insecure or paranoid about it. Unless you go to the extreme lengths of classifying yourself a "gamer" and them as "casulz."

Jolkien

Not ashamed at all. My co-worker and bosses know I often take vacations that coincide with video game release (last I took was Witcher 3).

All my co-worker are my close friends and we are all gamer/nerd.

I'm turning 30 next month.

This is not to you OP....just to anyone in general who is embarrassed about their hobbies, personalities etc....I don't see why hobbies need to be publicized? I would have to wear a dog hat, with spaceship shorts, dinosaur boxers, aquarium shoes and a gamer t-shirt (amongst other things) if I wanted everyone to know what my hobbies were. Why is any of this stuff other people business and what is there to be gained from wearing gamer t-shirts? It's like cars with pictures of stick figure families on the back, seriously who gives a shit what you're doing with your life? I think if you're getting negative reactions then you either need to dial back what you are putting out there or learn to deal with whatever reactions come your way.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Im a 43yr old with a 23yr old daughter it took me a while to tell my new girlfriend that im a gamer as i was embarrassed but she took it well lol as luckily her best friend is a female gamer.

Harlequin

Not at all. If anything, I'll be the first to strike up the topic of video games in a conversation and if the other person isn't a gamer, I'll try to explain to them why I think it's such a unique and wonderful medium. I might even go a little overboard with it sometimes LOL (but then I tend to do that with most topics I'm passionate about - not just video games). So no, definitely not ashamed of being a gamer. Although I don't really wear T-shirts with game logos and stuff (because I tend to find most of them rather ugly), so it's not necessarily apparent for random people on the street that I love video games.

TAFK

Sometimes yes.

I feel like just being a gamer in general isn't bad but when I start to show my "power level" and literally know every game that people are talking about and when it was released and who made it etc. then I start to feel the judging coming on and start to reel back a bit.

Sorry I'm invested in my hobby like you're invested in Golf.

I don't ever refer to myself as "a gamer". People that watch movies don't call themselves movie-ers, or people that read regularly etc. Seems like an odd choice to have to label it. I play and enjoy video games, it's a hobby like any other.
Not really true at all. They don't use those exact words, sure. But people very often describe themselves as "movie buffs" or "bookworms" to describe their passion and enthusiasm for those hobbies.

Sometimes yes.

I feel like just being a gamer in general isn't bad but when I start to show my "power level" and literally know every game that people are talking about and when it was released and who made it etc. then I start to feel the judging coming on and start to reel back a bit.

Nothing wrong with that, you just gotta check it sometimes when not dealing with huge-fans as they may not always relate. Not saying to hide it, but it's like when folks try to talk football to me, I don't mind general casual chat, but I can't stand getting into stats, etc.

krang

Sometimes yes.

Golf is pretty great, though.

Sanctuary

LOL. Is this seriously a thing to care about? Today is nothing like the 80s and 90s at all, and I look at it now just like I looked at it then; well, I could be in a bar drinking my money away and "socializing" with other people who have nowhere else to be, I could be shooting up, smoking or snorting up the money. Which of these are more "adult" than buying games? What's the difference between gaming and watching TV?

Gaming is actually one of the more interactive home passtimes, and also a lot less harmful to your health (unless you absolutely never do any kind of exercise, but that's not gaming specific).

Im a 43yr old with a 23yr old daughter it took me a while to tell my new girlfriend that im a gamer as i was embarrassed but she took it well lol as luckily her best friend is a female gamer.

Switch?

Inidet

It's a stigma i've never quite understood. You're (metaphorically speaking) allowed to tell me about how sick your base is in clash of clans, but I get a sideways glance if i'm getting lunch and am playing my ds?

I'm not the type to go around screaming "GAMUR PRIDE!!" but it'd be nice to just be able to play a game I actually care about in public and not get looked at like a man-child, rather than socially acceptable mobile nonsense.

I'm not ashamed of it and do it anyway, but its stuff I could deal without

I'm not a gamer/nerd in public. I don't have any gaming-clothing, I'm not running around proclaiming I am a gamer.

And to be honest, I would feel ashamed if I did because I'm personally not a fan of being visibly identifiable with a certain group of people, no matter what group. I even try to avoid buying shoes with visible branding on it.

That said, when I see someone wearing a Zelda Triforce t-shirt in public, I think to myself "Right on, cool!".

No, but I dislike gamer apparel that scream "gamer" and roboto peripherals like PC cases with lots of led or those mice that look like spaceships.

I like gaming shirts if theyre classy/subtle. I dont want Master Chief's head embalzoned on my torso.

I have no shame being a nerd/gamer. I also played football in high school and was considered a jock. There's nothing wrong with being a nerd with interests toys, cartoons, anime, games, and what not.

But there's something to be said about nerds who can't act normal in public. I've gone to a bunch of midnight launches at GameStop and it's just full of mouth breathing nerds that can't carry on a normal conversation with a majority of normal people they can only interact really weirdly with their usual group of friends. More power too them if they are happy but some of the stuff I would hear would just make me cringe. The kind that cackle weird at jokes that are not funny, make random noises, make random weird nerdy comments/remarks that kinda stuff just wants to bring out the high school bully in me and give someone a swirly...

Nope, not at all! I feel no shame in being a gamer/geek/nerd. I proudly wore that 'Over 9000!' shirt at Wrestlemania earlier this year. I've put in more time than I care to admit in World of Warcraft. And of course, I'm a huge Pokénerd and proud of it! :)

We did get a weird look from some people passing by. I could tell they did not like what we were doing, maybe thinking we are "losers".

I really don't care what people think of me, and I still wear game/comic book gear on my days off.

Congrats on you member status.
For someone who does not care about what other people think, you put a lot of thought into this one. At least you seem quite sensitive of the "issue".

I do care about how people percieve me / think about me. There are places in my proffessional and social life where gaming has no place and where i would feel out of place if my gaming hobbie would be known. In other aspects of my life i happily can be the childidh nerd i know i am.

Sanctuary

No, but I dislike gamer apparel that scream "gamer" and roboto peripherals like PC cases with lots of led or those mice that look like spaceships.

I like gaming shirts if theyre classy/subtle. I dont want Master Chief's head embalzoned on my torso.

I get the dislike for case "bling", but do you also dislike band shirts?

Congrats on you member status.
For someone who does not care about what other people think, you put a lot of thought into this one. At least you seem quite sensitive of the "issue".
Yeah, I didn't really understand the point of this thread if he doesn't care what other people think about his hobbies. Maybe it's just "It doesn't bother me, but I want to know if it bothers you!".
Although he does write two contradictory statements...

Nope, not at all! I feel no shame in being a gamer/geek/nerd. I proudly wore that 'Over 9000!' shirt at Wrestlemania earlier this year. I've put in more time than I care to admit in World of Warcraft. And of course, I'm a huge Pokénerd and proud of it! :)

No one attending that has a right to criticize anyone for doing anything deemed "childish".

Rektash

Way past that point. I don't try to rub my personal hobbies into peoples faces though so it usually takes a while for them to figure out I am spending a good chunk of my free time gaming. In my worklife this isn't much of an issue anyways since I work in IT. I just like to keep most things private until I feel like I know how people tick.

120v

i'm so old i don't really care... though i do try and downplay my fanaticism. i don't want to be like the uncle who's just super into HAM radio and assumes everybody finds it insanely interesting as he does

People give me those looks at work too. Don't really care. When asked about hobbies at a job interview though I do say "collecting" vintage game, comics and merchandise from the past.... which isn't untrue.

Ayumi

Not really ashamed, but *surprise* gaming stuff isn't mainstream in Japan and otaku (gaming, anime, collectors, etc) are often looked down on here as well, so it's not something I shout out. I just don't mention it in most instances unless it's relevant, since most of my real life friends don't play games.

Iced Arcade

Paranoia. People probably just walked by wondering what the lineup was for.

Gaming, superhero fan, nerd has been an "in thing" socially now.

I'm not particularly ashamed but damn is it ever an awkward topic to discuss this with people who have never played a video game in their life and people I'm not too familiar with.

That's why I avoid sharing this unless I know the other person is into it too.

Not a big problem for me, as I don't really dress in gaming clothes, so anybody who doesn't know me has no idea what I like anyway but the people who do know me, know I'm a big gamer and Sci-Fi nerd so I don't hide the fact I like this kind of thing.

But who cares, if you don't know them, their opinion of you shouldn't matter, never be ashamed of something you like.

hell im damn proud of it,

not because being a nerd makes me better than others, but because i love being a nerd, and when someone is ashamed of their love for something then that's just sad.
and if people have a problem with it then that's really only their problem.

Raldoh

Always had a great interest in gaming in general, I visit gaming sites and forums daily. have. Never labeled myself as a gamer as I do have other interests, never liked having one thing constrain me as a person. Music has been the same. I listened to a lot of metal before, but I never identified myself as a "metal head" as I liked other genres as well.

I don't typically talk a lot about games with people unless I know they enjoy them, not because I fear being labeled as nerd or whatever but simply that they don't have any interests at all.

gelf

I'm not one to broadcast any of my interests and gaming rarely comes up as a topic so I don't ever talk about it. I'd find it hard to put it down as a hobby for a job application though.

I rarely let people know the full extent of my music taste either for that matter.

Very often.
As a student I wasn't embarassed at all, but working made me feel like I have to hide my nerd self.
I'm an attorney working in a very conservative region of a very conservative Country (Italy). This affect my profession a lot, since I have to gain clients trust in order to get a job.
Also doens't help that I'm always younger than clients. It's hard to shake off the stigma of being too young to get the job done.
If somebody finds out I spend my free time playing "kid's games", I'm screwed.

Maximus.

Yes, I feel I am being judged if I were to play a handheld in public. Barely see anyone doing it and if you do, it is typically someone who is a child or someone that looks like they are trying to stand out. I guess it is silly to worry what others think of me, but it has stopped me from using my handhelds on transit or while waiting for a bus or something. Also, I don't want my handheld or game to get stolen or damaged also stops me. I do wear the occasional nerdy shirt, but where it fits an acceptable style and doesn't overtly stand out.

Top Bottom