• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ariana Grande (hugely famous musician) joins the battle in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius

Kusagari

It was?

D:

Disclaimer: I'm not American so I'm not aware of the musical trends in your country. But if I were I'd probably don't know about them either since I don't understand what is popular in my own country either.

Black Beatles hit the top 10 in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Slovakia, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland and the UK.

opoth

Banned
you know how I know like 3/4 of the people on gaming side are ignorant middle aged guys who takes pride in not knowing basic pop culture past 1990

I legit don't know her maybe beyond my wife mentioning her in passing. I am sure I have heard something by her at some point but I'd need to be told what it was.

I listen to Phish religiously and the last new musical artist I got into was Boards of Canada in 1998. I stopped being interested in new music and pop culture sometime in my early 20s during the Bush presidency.

I am sure some people ITT are being obstinate for whatever reason, but believe it or not, it's pretty easy to isolate oneself from pop culture if you choose to do so. Most of what trickles in is from GAF or my Netflix sub.

Majmun

Her brother looks more like a FF character tbh

tWgHNpO.jpg

0n4luLo.png

Iconic

you know how I know like 3/4 of the people on gaming side are ignorant middle aged guys who takes pride in not knowing basic pop culture past 1990

We're in the future now, it's not like the entire country is still gathering 'round the old television set every week to see who's guest starring on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Black Beatles hit the top 10 in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Slovakia, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland and the UK.

Well that's quite some countries, there's just the rest of the world left that in general don't know about them.

I can get people getting weirded out at Americans from not knowing certain artists that are famous there, but it's just baffling and US-centric to expect the rest of the world to know everything about what's going on there.

I have no problem that the majority of Neogaf doesn't know who Anitta or Elba Ramalho is, but I'd be weirded out if a fellow Brazilian didn't know about them.

Zaventem

People who say it's impossible to NOT hear about these stars and their music are hilarious. In fact it's not to long ago after the countless redesigns youtube added the trending tab back to the layout after removing it for some odd reason. I recognized her face just like I did bibers but it doesnt mean i go out my way to listen to their music. I work in the retail so their is always an outdated playlist on repeat for the past 2 years with some Celine Dion and Cher thrown in. With that said, the sprites looks cool and it's not too far off from the cute rabbit design in bravely default etc.

Kusagari

Well that's quite some countries, there's just the rest of the world left that in general don't know about them.

I can get people getting weirded out at Americans from not knowing certain artists that are famous there, but it's just baffling and US-centric to expect the rest of the world to know everything about what's going on there.

I have no problem that the majority of Neogaf doesn't know who Anitta or Elba Ramalho is, but I'd be weirded out if a fellow Brazilian didn't know about them.

My point in posting that was so often we see people from European countries on GAF acting like their countries don't like the same exact pop music America does. By and large they do.

Good thing I don't live there. But as I said

It was?

D:

Disclaimer: I'm not American so I'm not aware of the musical trends in your country. But if I were I'd probably don't know about them either since I don't understand what is popular in my own country either.

LionPride

Banned
Timeout

HOW THE HELL IS SOLANGE POP? SHE IS AN R&B/NEO-SOUL ARTIST. SHE AIN'T POP. GET THEM GENRES STRAIGHT FOR THE WOMAN WHO HAD A TOP 3 ALBUM THIS YEAR

Put some respeck on her name

Servbot24

Banned
Timeout

HOW THE HELL IS SOLANGE POP? SHE IS AN R&B/NEO-SOUL ARTIST. SHE AIN'T POP. GET THEM GENRES STRAIGHT FOR THE WOMAN WHO HAD A TOP 3 ALBUM THIS YEAR

Put some respeck on her name

A. Pop is a fundamental ingredient of neo-soul
B. Pop music is extremely storied. Don't act like anyone should be ashamed to make pop music

LionPride

Banned
A. Pop is a fundamental ingredient of neo-soul
B. Pop music is extremely storied. Don't act like anyone should be ashamed to make pop music
Awww it's so funny to see someone act as if I don't enjoy pop music. What I don't enjoy is putting someone under the giant umbrella of pop when their is a specific genre to describe that person's music. Solange for example is Neo-Soul. Straight up. With an album that was more R&B and Hip-Hop than what your average consumer would call pop.

I lost faith in gaming side after seeing a dude literally say "why are they playing rap music at the game awards this isn't BET" like the song wasn't actually the number one hit song of the year

Dusty ass

That whole thread was pathetic.

Between the diet racism and passive-aggressive posts about "real music" (especially when comparing RtJ & Rae Shremmurd to the Doom Metal guys), the borderline sociopathic posts making fun of the Dragon Cancer dad, and shitting on Boogie because of his weight, I was reminded how shitty gaming-side is sometimes.

reKon

Banned

Between the diet racism and passive-aggressive posts about "real music" (especially when comparing RtJ & Rae Shremmurd to the Doom Metal guys), the borderline sociopathic posts making fun of the Dragon Cancer dad, and shitting on Boogie because of his weight, I was reminded how shitty gaming-side is sometimes.

Link me to this thread

LionPride

Banned

That shit wasn't diet. Was straight up. And I understand crapping on Rae Sremmurd. They ain't the best rappers but they are really fun, but Run the Jewels? That's when I know someone just doesn't wanna try to listen to something outside of their metal music that they claim is the only "Real Music"

Galang

Banned
Nah. Her second and third albums though....

I'm not sure what numbers the albums are, but Dangerous Woman and Yours Truly are great! Just well-rounded and perfect pop. I'm surprised at how consistent she's managed to be so far. Truly underrated

Those threads always bring out the worst in gaming-side. There are a lot of straight-up ignorant children on here, or men who haven't grown up.

Shit was unreal if you were watching the thread in real time.

Great voice but she's a bit of a tit really.

Objectifies other women and men, then complains about being objectified. Okay then.

Still unsure how people couldn't have heard of her.

Manbig

Can only speak for myself. I addressed what I thought of the news, my lack of knowledge of her was incidental and I was surprised people couldn't believe others hadn't heard of a celeb.

I hadnt done a drive-bye 'who' post and honestly Google/wiki didn't illuminate her any further for me other than oh she was on a Disney show I remember GAF going crazy for years ago :p

Nick show, not Disney.

Like I said before, it's fine to not know who she is, but the only things that you need to know for why this is newsworthy are:

"Ariana Grande-Butera, known professionally as Ariana Grande, is an American singer and actress. She began her career in the Broadway musical 13, before landing the role of Cat Valentine on the Nickelodeon television series Victorious in 2009."

Which is automatically supplied by google on the right of the screen after searching her name.

And if you need more context, clicking on her twitter or instagram to see how many followers she has will give you a good idea of her general popularity.

It's not stupid to not know who she is going in, but it does look pretty stupid to act like this is not a big deal in regards to getting a lot of eyes on this game just because some people didn't know who she was before the news and felt the need to share their blissful ignorance to pop culture with the forum. (Not saying this is you specifically, just saying in regards to the general obnoxiousness of the early posts in the thread)

I personally don't care much for her music, but I very much enjoy Brave Exvius, and I like that these kinds of moves will ensure that the game will be supported for a long time to come.

Majmun

Even my brother who listens to modern music (Drake, Rihanna etc) doesn't know who Ariana Grande is.

I guess Grande is more popular with the twitter and instagram crowd. Her music is pretty forgettable and as an artist she's really boring.

LionPride

Banned
Even my brother who listens to modern music (Drake, Rihanna etc) doesn't know who Ariana Grande is.

I guess Grande is more popular with the twitter and instagram crowd. Her music is pretty forgettable and as an artist she's really boring.

So normal people since a lot of people use or view instagram and Twitter?

She also had a good album come out this year that had critical and commercial acclaim so...

I'm not sure what numbers the albums are, but Dangerous Woman and Yours Truly are great! Just well-rounded and perfect pop. I'm surprised at how consistent she's managed to be so far. Truly underrated
the title always weirded me out like ariana grande is the exact opposite of a dangerous woman

Yeah I like Pop music but never been much of a fan. She has a great voice and all but I just find her music really boring for the most part

Extremely amused at the posters expressing frustration at others not knowing this or other pop artists. Plenty of people just watch/listen to what they like and don't care what's "popular," guys. It's not that crucial.

Roo

I know who she is because of that "Into You" song she released last year I think.
Quite catchy I must say lol

Top Bottom