• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASSEMBLY Winter: SteelSeries Challenge (SCII tournament)

Haunted

2OvYd.png

ASSEMBLY Winter: SteelSeries Challenge

Starcraft II is going to hit the northern wonderland of Finland in the beginning of the year 2011 as Assembly Winter and Steelseries organize one of the biggest SC2-tournaments in Europe.

Date: 11th - 13th February 2011
Place: Helsinki Cable Factory, Helsinki, Finland
Player limit: 64

Map pool:
Standard Blizzard map pool.
- Lost Temple
- Scrap Station
- Delta Quadrant
- Metalopolis
- Shakuras Plateau
- Xel'Naga Caverns
- Steppes of War
- Blistering Sands
- Jungle Basin

Prize pool:
1. 3000 €
2. 1350 €
3. 500 €
4. 150 € + Complete Steelseries Gaming Gear
5-8. Complete Steelseries Gaming Gear

Although its prizepool is "only" mid-sized (what a brave new world the SCII scene in 2011 is in terms of money!), the player pool alone is enough to warrant following this tournament.

[Selection of] Players:

Liquid`TLO
Empire.Kas
aTn.DarKFoRcE
mouz.Naama
SK.jimpo
M.Tarson
Liquid`HuK
RoX.KIS.Abver
MYM.SaSe
ROOT.qxc
dignitas.merz
aTn.Socke
RoX.KIS.Pomi
RAGE.ActionJesuz
mouz.Strelok
M.LaLuSh
dignitas.SjoW
mouz.MorroW
M.Adelscott
RoX.KIS.BRAT_OK
M.DieStar
Virus.Satiini
PwR.elfi
Liquid`Ret
srs.iNSoLeNCE
GG.Naugrim
dignitas.Naniwa
mouz.HasuObs
EG.DeMusliM
dignitas.Bischu
Liquid`Tyler
aAa.SarenS
EG.Grubby

I mean, seriously. What a lineup.

Official site:
http://www.assembly.org/winter11/compos/pro/starcraft2

Brackets:
Group Stage - alternatives here and here
Elimination Brackets

Schedule: (local time: CET +1)
Group stage: 11:00 - 23:00

Ro32: 11:00 & 13:00
Ro16: 15:00
Ro8: 17:00
Ro4: 19:00
Bronze match: 21:00
Grand Finals: 23:00

All matches are Bo3, Bronze Match and Finals Bo5.

Streams:
GLHF.tv (English) - on location at Assembly, mouzMaven and Martijn casting
GLHF.tv #2 (English) - GLHF's regular casters, TheGunrun and Eleine
Totalbiscuit (English) - That british guy with the interesting voice
Khaldor (German) - Khaldor and his pasty partner

Additional stream information (French, Polish, Finnish and a couple other languages) can be found on the Assembly site.

glhf!

edit: added map pool
edit²: updated player list, DeMuslim and Brat_OK are not playing
edit³: updated stream list, Totalbiscuit is casting this event after all

Haunted

twofold said:
Jesus. This tournament is stacked.

Are they running with the Blizzard map pool?
Indeed they are. Including Delta and Steppes. (boo!)

Thanks for reminding me, added the info to the OP.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
farnham said:
why no jinro?
he's like idra, committed primarily to gsl.
so he'll only come out for big tourneys during off weeks.

im curious to see huk, apparently he's a monster now.

Haunted

Pandaman said:
im curious to see huk, apparently he's a monster now.
huk destroyed his no-name opponent a couple minutes ago (you just missed it!), also crushed Sase and Abver 2-0 each.

To be fair, the group stage should have some fun one-sided games, as there are basically two pros and two scrubs in each group. But the Ro32 will already be serious business and have some amazing elimination matches.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Huk was destroying people on the EU ladder and customs the other day, at one point he beat White-Ra like 5 games in a row.

Haunted

Raelson said:
Will watch when TB starts streaming. GLHF's casters are so terrible.
I like TheGunrun. :(

But he's not there today. It's a bunch of people I haven't heard before, actually.

Break is on right now, games will return at 16:00 CET (which is 2 hours, 13 minutes from this post).

Lineup for the next batch of groups:

Code:
Group G:           Group H:

Socke              Strelok
Pomi               Lalush
ActionJesuz        cast
Tuomio             Protesser

Group I:           Group J:

Sjow               Morrow
Seinis             Adelscott
Runa               Seala
Which              TrueRandom

No real games until the elimination round

Too bad the only good caster is TotalBiscuit. The glhf guys are one of the worst out there.

Haunted

Group G would be worth watching just to see if ActionJesuz 6pools everyone again. Groups M and P have three good players each instead of two.

Aside from those, it should be relatively one-sided with few upsets. The only surprise from groups A-F was Darkforce not making it through.

edit: Lalush vs Strelok now live, casters are mouzMaven and martijn.

Never heard of the other guys with Ret and with all the oGs training I expect a complete walk over, as for the last group Grubby have been playing the game even less than Moon so taken one game of Tyler would be an accomplishment.

Haunted

TheThunder said:
Never heard of the other guys with Ret and with all the oGs training I expect a complete walk over, as for the last group Grubby have been playing the game even less than Moon so taken one game of Tyler would be an accomplishment.
insolence and Naugrim are good. ret is on a completely different level, yeah, but it's not the same 2 pro/2 scrub split from the other groups, so there should be closer games.

Grubby is a total wildcard, true.

Haunted

Goddamn ActionJesuz.

He just cheesed Socke twice in a row - failed drone rush in the first game, then a successful inside-the-enemy's-base proxy hatch in the second.

:lol

Now cross positions on Shakura's - he can't possibly cheese that, right? >_>

edit: well, he tries to plays standard... and loses. To be fair, Socke is a top tier player so that was to be expected.

Haunted

Huge upset - Sjow actually loses a second TvP series and is out in the group stage. :O

Next batch of groups (featuring ret, Diestar, Naniwa and elfi) are up in 2 hours, 10 minutes.

Haunted said:
Huge upset - Sjow actually loses a second TvP series and is out in the group stage. :O

Next batch of groups (featuring ret, Diestar, Naniwa and elfi) are up in 2 hours, 10 minutes.
What in the FLYING FUCK !!!!

Sjow got bored with winning too much euros ?

syllogism

His other series wasn't streamed but he lost the first series due not scouting. Also he lifted off all his buildings and flew all over the map when it was clear he had already lost, classy.

Haunted

TheThunder said:
What in the FLYING FUCK !!!!

Sjow got bored with winning too much euros ?
I don't know what happened, I've never even heard of this runa guy he lost 0-2 in the deciding series to.

I've only seen his series against Sein, where he lost 1-2 after getting way behind very quickly due to early harass (playing his usual "blind Terran" style) twice. He even had one of the easier groups, pretty much everyone agreed on that beforehand. Huge upset, really. He was one of the favourites to take it all. And our great new hope for next season's GSL, too. :( Hope he can bounce back from this quickly.

Also, until the next groups are starting, here's some interviews after their respective groups from SK Gaming:

TLO - "no problem at all to switch race"
Huk - "pretty sure I'm the best player here"
jimpo - "I can play better if I want to"

syllogism said:
His other series wasn't streamed but he lost the first series due not scouting. Also he lifted off all his buildings and flew all over the map when it was clear he had already lost, classy.
He didn't leave early in his first loss against Sein, either. Maybe a sign that he had already tilted at that point.

syllogism

Sjow has no hope whatsoever in GSL and in fact has pretty much said he isn't going. Also unless he changes his style and works on his apm, he isn't going to be winning any big tournaments elsewhere either.

Vaporak

Haunted said:
I don't know what happened, I've never even heard of this runa guy he lost 0-2 in the deciding series to.

I've only seen his series against Sein, where he lost 1-2 after getting way behind very quickly due to early harass (playing his usual "blind Terran" style) twice. He even had one of the easier groups, pretty much everyone agreed on that beforehand. Huge upset, really. He was one of the favourites to take it all. And our great new hope for next season's GSL, too. :( Hope he can bounce back from this quickly.

Also, until the next groups are starting, here's some interviews after their respective groups from SK Gaming:

TLO - "no problem at all to switch race"
Huk - "pretty sure I'm the best player here"
jimpo - "I can play better if I want to"

He didn't leave early in his first loss against Sein, either. Maybe a sign that he had already tilted at that point.

links not working for me. :(

Haunted

syllogism said:
Sjow has no hope whatsoever in GSL and in fact has pretty much said he isn't going. Also unless he changes his style and works on his apm, he isn't going to be winning any big tournaments elsewhere either.
so harsh :lol

Last I heard is that Gom received his application for the foreigner house favourably, but that he wasn't sure if he would go with all that's going on at home (that was a couple days ago).

ret vs Naugrim on right NOW

markao

Thanks for the info Haunted!

Missing out on most of the good GSL stuff, so happy to catch some live SC2 again.

syllogism

These casters are pretty bad; ret wasn't even really ahead after dealing with the initial aggression. He was even behind a drone or two. Should always have unit tab visible in ZvZ, considering how important drone count is.

Vaporak

"I know you viewers aren't quite into the music I was playing before, so here's a sell out band."

syllogism said:
These casters are pretty bad; ret wasn't even really ahead after dealing with the initial aggression. He was even behind a drone or two. Should always have unit tab visible in ZvZ, considering how important drone count is.

Huh? Ret was up 16 drones to 10 and ended up with his expansion up faster...

Haunted

Why so good ret? He made that look easy.

markao said:
Thanks for the info Haunted!

Missing out on most of the good GSL stuff, so happy to catch some live SC2 again.
No problem! The player pool should make this a really interesting tournament, and it gives SCII spectator-GAF something to do in the GSL downtime. :D

markao said:
ah ignore :)

Just found out myself that the Brits and Germans are broadcasting different matches ;)
Ha, I'm switching over to Khaldor's stream when nothing's going on on GLHF.tv, but I can't bear listening too long. Don't like German casting, really.

syllogism

Vaporak said:
"I know you viewers aren't quite into the music I was playing before, so here's a sell out band."

Huh? Ret was up 16 drones to 10 and ended up with his expansion up faster...
There's a small chance I saw the count wrong, but, as far as I could tell from the poor observing, the other guy started power droning sooner after the aggression than ret. Just the fact ret had to cancel hathery evened things out a bit. Obviously once Ret managed to remake his hatchery so quite a bit earlier, he re-established his lead.

Haunted

I want to say that I appreciate this tournament setup so much more than Dreamhack's for example.

64 players in 16 round robin groups, that's a shitton of matches, and they're all Bo3. 6 or 7 scheduled casts simultaneously in multiple languages, and everything is done in 2 days. Excellent organisation.

edit: ooh, Grubby vs Tyler up next on GLHF #1. GLHF #2 has some guy called Drafter getting crushed by Naniwa.

Haunted said:
edit: ooh, Grubby vs Tyler up next on GLHF #1. GLHF #2 has some guy called Drafter getting crushed by Naniwa.

I can never watch gunrun stream, too much lag/skipping, at first I thought it was ustream but even with JustinTV it's still bad.

It's not a problem though since he is a horrible caster and should really look in getting a radio show at the 3 am slot.

raphier

Banned
Haunted said:
I want to say that I appreciate this tournament setup so much more than Dreamhack's for example.
Yeah really. I am at assembly, and I really like how they have monitors on main stage of every player focused on the viewer.

Haunted

markao said:
Is Grubby that Dutch Warcraft guy?
Yes.

Tyler has to punish that expansion soon.

edit: what a weird game this has become. :lol It's all due to Grubby's weird build and Tyler being passive for so long.

markao

Haunted said:
Yes.

edit: what a weird game this has become. :lol It's all due to Grubby's weird build and Tyler being passive for so long.
Thanks, saw him on a Dutch tv show with Kasparov, that's why I remembered.

really weird game :p

twofold

Haunted said:
Yes.

Grubby's macro was awful, too. Massive trust fund with too few production buildings.

Had he managed to keep his minerals/gas low, he might have actually won that.

Edit - Wanted to add; these guys are the worst SC2 commentators I've seen yet. What the fuck?

Haunted

twofold said:
Grubby's macro was awful, too. Massive trust fund with too few production buildings.

Had he managed to keep his minerals/gas low, he might have actually won that.
He should've remade some gateways much earlier than he did as well. Trying to keep Tyler busy with DTs was a good stalling tactic but he took way too long rebuilding production buildings.

Insolence vs Naugrim on Khaldor's stream is a pretty damn tight game as well, but Khaldor totally favouring the German player is pretty annoying. >_>

edit: y'all are just pampered by Tastosis' awesomeness.

markao

Haunted said:
He should've remade some gateways much earlier than he did as well. Trying to keep Tyler busy with DTs was a good stalling tactic but he took way too long rebuilding production buildings.

Insolence vs Naugrim on Khaldor's stream is a pretty damn tight game as well, but Khaldor totally favouring the German player is pretty annoying. >_>
But he gets really in to it, that makes up for it.....just a little :p

Top Bottom