• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamhack 2011 SC2 Tournament

darkpaladinmfc said:
Day9 hating should be bannable.
Agreed. Day9 has done so much for the community, his Dailies are invaluable for many, many players (like me). And I don't think any human can hate him after watching his Daily #100.

Coolwhip

Banned
Totalbiscuit has improved a lot too. He is a great SC2 caster now imo. It was a bit sad he was tucked away somewhere casting his games :]

Day9 is an entertainer with his own show on youtube and a very enthusiastic guy when it comes to Starcraft. But that doesn't automatically make you a good commentator. Not hating on him, I usually don't mind him but during this event he was a little too enthusiastic to a point where it was unpleasant to listen to.

Of all the casters only Day[9] and Artosis have a good understanding of the game, and some casting skills to back it up. Artosis often says it like it is, even if Tasteless spew a lot of nonsense, where I just shake my head at. He's like: you know what Tasteless: I don't think so. Love that.

Day[9] has great analytical skill aswell, although it is a nodge below Artosis's but I believe he and dj Wheat are great together, unlike his Dreamhack performance with Apollo.

farnham

Banned
Omotesando said:
Of all the casters only Day[9] and Artosis have a good understanding of the game, and some casting skills to back it up. Artosis often says it like it is, even if Tasteless spew a lot of nonsense, where I just shake my head at. He's like: you know what Tasteless: I don't think so. Love that.

Day[9] has great analytical skill aswell, although it is a nodge below Artosis's but I believe he and dj Wheat are great together, unlike his Dreamhack performance with Apollo.
Tasteless knows the game too. He is just in a role where he has to play the layman. Cant stand the Tasteless hate.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
farnham said:
Tasteless knows the game too. He is just in a role where he has to play the layman. Cant stand the Tasteless hate.
He was better before he lost his passion.

farnham said:

I never believed he was bad or anything, he was a decent knowledgable brood war caster. But his performance lately in SC2 GSL and the last MLG, he is purely the 'funny guy', Artosis is the wise man. Tasteless can't cope with the everchanging and complex nature of SC2.

farnham

Banned
Omotesando said:
I never believed he was bad or anything, he was a decent knowledgable brood war caster. But his performance lately in SC2 GSL and the last MLG, he is purely the 'funny guy', Artosis is the wise man. Tasteless can't cope with the everchanging and complex nature of SC2.
Eh.. thats the role they are in. tasteless is supposed to be funny and artosis is supposed to be the wiseguy thats how the roles developed and they are the best casting duo out there by far.

farnham said:
Eh.. thats the role they are in. tasteless is supposed to be funny and artosis is supposed to be the wiseguy thats how the roles developed and they are the best casting duo out there by far.

True, but that doesn't mean Tasteless can cast a false prediction where player A is doomed and 2 secs lately he would be like: ooh wait a minute, player A actually comes out on top. Happens too often lately.

BlackDove

Banned
Well of course this thread was going to devolve into this.

Well, it was going to be this, or how one race is overpowered, and another is underpowered, and then it was gonna be armchair game development balancing comments.

But yeah, let's do the constructive Day9 sucks, Day9 rules, Day9 sucks, Day9 rules, X caster is better, Y caster is shit, nobody's ever done that before.

Jokab

BlackDove said:
Well of course this thread was going to devolve into this.

Well, it was going to be this, or how one race is overpowered, and another is underpowered, and then it was gonna be armchair game development balancing comments.

But yeah, let's do the constructive Day9 sucks, Day9 rules, Day9 sucks, Day9 rules, X caster is better, Y caster is shit, nobody's ever done that before.
Feel free to stop refreshing the thread.

Haunted

I think Day9 was really good, I didn't like his casting at MLG so much and tuned in to Tastosis more often than not.

Could also be because I like apollo more than djwheat.

Tenks

I like Apollo more than Wheat as well. Wheat suffers from the same problem as TB where it is painfully obvious that he has no clue what the hell he's talking about. Great voice for radio, though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Caster -- Voice (clear, pleasant, good rhythm) -- Analysis (general game knowledge, prediction, build spotting) -- Entertainment (comedic skills, ability to fill time enjoyably during slow sections)

Tastosis the Casting Archon -- 10/10 -- 10/10 -- 10/10

Wolf -- 5/10 -- 9/10 -- 5/10

Day9 -- 2/10 -- 8/10 -- 5/10

TotalBiscuit -- 5/10 -- 0/10 -- 1/10

Husky -- 1/10 -- 5/10 -- 0/10

Chill -- 7/10 -- 6/10 -- 5/10

DJWheat -- 6/10 -- 3/10 -- 5/10

Moletrap -- 4/10 -- 5/10 -- 4/10

Doa -- 5/10 -- 3/10 -- 4/10

Incontrol -- 4/10 -- 5/10 -- 0/10

Gretorp -- 0/10 -- 0/10 -- 0/10

Kelly -- N/A (unintelligible)

zlatko

Banned
EviLore said:
Caster -- Voice (clear, pleasant, good rhythm) -- Analysis (general game knowledge, prediction, build spotting) -- Entertainment (comedic skills, ability to fill time enjoyably during slow sections)

Tastosis the Casting Archon -- 10/10 -- 10/10 -- 10/10

Wolf -- 5/10 -- 9/10 -- 5/10

TotalBiscuit -- 5/10 -- 0/10 -- 1/10

Husky -- 1/10 -- 5/10 -- 0/10

Chill -- 7/10 -- 6/10 -- 5/10

DJWheat -- 6/10 -- 3/10 -- 5/10

Moletrap -- 4/10 -- 5/10 -- 4/10

Doa -- 5/10 -- 3/10 -- 4/10

Incontrol -- 4/10 -- 5/10 -- 0/10

Gretorp -- 0/10 -- 0/10 -- 0/10

Kelly -- N/A (unintelligible
)

v8Y1VvbEma2efk3vWvg3NmQm_400.gif

Coolwhip

Banned
Harsh list. I would rate Wolf higher for his voice and Totalbiscuit higher overall. Have you tuned in to his casting recently? He started off in SC2 as someone commentating a horserace, but the last few weeks he calmed down a lot. Combined with someone that knows the game well (like TLO during Dreamhack) I really like him as a caster now.

farnham said:
Wolf has better game knowledge than Tasteless, although Tasteless would be much better if he tried.

zlatko

Banned
Haunted said:
ah, here it is

YhOSt.png

edit: that was during GSL Season 1 or something, before Tasteless improved and Gretorp started casting.

That image is so wrong, because DJWheat NEVER says anything funny... not even close to.

Haunted

zlatko said:
That image is so wrong, because DJWheat NEVER says anything funny... not even close to.
In retrospect, I don't know what the fuck I was thinking either. just look at incontrol's values.

smh

HD deserves less game knowledge, I listened to him cast about 2-3 months ago, and it was a Scrap Station PvP and he said 'Stalkers have the same speed as Zealots in my opinion'. Also, Artosis is funnier than Tasteless!

Tenks

darkpaladinmfc said:
HD deserves less game knowledge, I listened to him cast about 2-3 months ago, and it was a Scrap Station PvP and he said 'Stalkers have the same speed as Zealots in my opinion'. Also, Artosis is funnier than Tasteless!

HD has increased his knowledge. I think he's mid-high Masters now iirc.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Coolwhip said:
Harsh list. I would rate Wolf higher for his voice and Totalbiscuit higher overall. Have you tuned in to his casting recently? He started off in SC2 as someone commentating a horserace, but the last few weeks he calmed down a lot. Combined with someone that knows the game well (like TLO during Dreamhack) I really like him as a caster now.

thought i've never really liked totalbiscuit's style, and being english, his novelty doesn't exactly grab me, i've never really harboured any real opinion on him until i started to unearth what a petulant hypocritical douchebag he is outside of his casting.

posts like this are a keeper:

Totalbiscuit said:
I'm sorry, but you don't matter and pretending otherwise is your biggest mistake. You can take this "we" shit and shove it up your ass too, oh no, pretentious eSports "fan" doesn't like my casting, as if that is going to affect the hiring decisions of the people who are actually important in keeping the scene going. Plenty of you need to get this into your heads, the people in charge do not give a shit about your dumb opinions and so they shouldn't. They have their metrics, they have actual information, they know who is good for them and who isn't and they will make decisions based on that, not on people whose method of arguing seems to boil down to "u mad?" more often than not.

And just to make sure you know how the industry actually works. We don't "apply" to events, they come to us. If that doesn't speak volumes to you then that sounds like a personal problem.

Bring on the "you're arrogant" comments that seem to come along every time I tell people how things actually work. If that's the price of being right then so be it. You and people like you are cunts, you are poison within the community and it's a good job that you don't have any influence, otherwise you might do some actual damage to it.

Please, slobber all over IdrA's cock because he's so awesome for being honest and speaking the truth and then flame anyone else who does the same you self-righteous, worthless hypocrite.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
BlackDove said:
Are you....... are you sure on that one?

I don't know.

Wheat is an experienced caster who flows pretty well and is a reasonable neutral choice for pairing up with another caster, so I went with above average for his speaking ability.

Harsh list. I would rate Wolf higher for his voice and Totalbiscuit higher overall.

I like Wolf and I think he did an admirable job with that week of solo GSL casting. That 5/10 speaking is based partially on his inability to be assertive with his commentary when paired with Moletrap, which I wouldn't normally hold against him (Moletrap is really overbearing) but Diggity has done a better job creating a balanced casting environment with Moletrap than Wolf did. I do think that Wolf is easily the best Code A caster thus far and I feel he deserves to get a permanent spot.

TotalBiscuit is like a 1920s radio sports caster, extremely exaggerated, no breathing room, and no analysis or humor, just pure play-by-play. His casting is valuable if you have to go to the bathroom and are able to turn the volume up; you'll be able to follow the match perfectly! Otherwise he brings nothing to the table.

EviLore said:
TotalBiscuit is like a 1920s radio sports caster, extremely exaggerated, no breathing room, and no analysis or humor, just pure play-by-play. His casting is valuable if you have to go to the bathroom and are able to turn the volume up; you'll be able to follow the match perfectly! Otherwise he brings nothing to the table.

Listening to Totalbiscuit's casting just makes me tired because he never stops talking. Ever. That's not even getting into his personality either...

BlackDove

Banned
EviLore said:
Wheat is an experienced caster who flows pretty well and is a reasonable neutral choice for pairing up with another caster, so I went with above average for his speaking ability.

Oh sure, I was more referring to the uhh.... nasal... qualities he possesses.

Not that it's a bad thing, just....

... how soothing is it exactly.

cdyhybrid

I enjoyed TotalBiscuit/TLO during July/Sen. They weren't Tastosis but I wouldn't mind having them be the main casters for a big tournament. Totalbiscuit/Idra would likely be terrible but entertaining for their interactions alone.

cdyhybrid said:
I enjoyed TotalBiscuit/TLO during July/Sen. They weren't Tastosis but I wouldn't mind having them be the main casters for a big tournament. Totalbiscuit/Idra would likely be terrible but entertaining for their interactions alone.

If someone who knows nothing about Starcraft is going to be casting, I'd rather 2GD.

saichi

EviLore said:

I don't think anyone is better with small talks to make the slow section enjoyable than Day9 and he is only getting a 5 which is same as Wolf and DJWheat?

Coolwhip

Banned
EviLore said:

Yes that was what he was doing before. But he changed in that regard. I couldn't stand listening to him either when he was rambling like crazy.

ghst said:
thought i've never really liked totalbiscuit's style, and being english, his novelty doesn't exactly grab me, i've never really harboured any real opinion on him until i started to unearth what a petulant hypocritical douchebag he is outside of his casting.

posts like this are a keeper:

Now I'm curious where that was a reply to. I agree he is a huge troll though, that's why I couldn't stand him, but his casting has grown on me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
saichi said:
I don't think anyone is better with small talks to make the slow section enjoyable than Day9 and he is only getting a 5 which is same as Wolf and DJWheat?

I'd rate Day9 considerably higher in his dailies than in his pro game commentary. In his pro game commentary he's often far too concerned with inserting as much play-by-play and generic information as possible in order to keep things moving, which doesn't leave much room for being entertained by what he's saying.

The more laid back the atmosphere of the cast, the better Day9 performs. So something like Day9 Dailies >>> netcasting like TSL >>> live events where he tries too hard to hype things up and screams into the mic constantly.

slingsarrows

Neo Member
Congrats to Huk, big win! Poor Idra, losing 0-2 to MC and then this. :(

To those saying he got lucky, he sure did, if he had scouted that expansion things would probably have gone the other way, but you need luck to win any tournament, whether it's Dreamhack or the World Cup of soccer.

We just saw an amazing upset, en epic tourney, an excellent production... and all people can do is caster bashing. Pfffffft, pearl before swine indeed.

CONGRATS HUK!

I wonder what the people who are starting Western pro-houses now think. Whether that is really preferable over moving to Korea a few months out of the year, and do your training there.

syllogism

What, because huk finally managed to win a tournament, by having it basically gifted to him in the finals, on his fifth attempt? (assembly -> out early, tsl -> out early, mlg -> out early, dh invitational -> out early)

Top Bottom