• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori Plus (Vita) |OT| Stealthily Adventuring onto PSN

B.K.

I haven't gotten around to playing Rorona yet. Is it okay to skip straight to Totori? Are there any arcing plots from Rorona that continue in Totori?

Dunno much anything about the series. But a good looking Vita game so I might get it!

For the plot of course! :p

Atelier games don't have much plot. You play them for the alchemy.

Vaco6121

So Meruru+ NA next week guis?

As long as it gets released during the spend $50 get $10 back promo that is going on, that would be awesome.

I wonder if this is a Sony screw up because it is just crazy that Tecmo Koei, or any publisher, would just release a game like this.

Durante

I haven't gotten around to playing Rorona yet. Is it okay to skip straight to Totori? Are there any arcing plots from Rorona that continue in Totori?
No, it's really minimal. There's more continuity between Meruru and the previous games though.

Atelier games don't have much plot. You play them for the alchemy.
They don't have a complex plot, but they do usually have a lot of nice (mostly optional) sub-plots.

CHusson91

Banned
I've only played Rorona a bit so my opinion my not matter. I was introduced to this series by people who liked Persona a couple years back and gave it a shot. The music, crafting, and the character interactions are great. However, I can't comment on the story since I never made it that far. However, if you're looking for something similiar to Persona 4 like social links or its gameplay(gameplay is really simple in Rorona), it's probably best to stay away. Character interactions and playing with the craft system? Then get it.

they are very different games, personally I play the atelier series when I want something JRPG like but that doesn't feel like a jrpg.

totori focuses mostly on character interactions instead of a big overall story (there sorta is one but there isn't a ton to it until the very end of the game)

If you enjoy item creation stuff in RPGs though this game would likely be quite interesting as a lot of the game is gathering materials to make items with the very in depth item creation system.

Thanks guys. This game is definitely not for me.

Varion

New Dungeon: Orthogalaxen, one of the final dungeons from Atelier Rorona makes an appearance in Atelier Totori Plus! Not sure what exactly it adds yet, but it's there!
New bosses (top two boxes here) designed to crush you horribly, new recipes, new materials. About what you'd expect I suppose.

That's basically everything that matters there in the OP, there's a few minor bits like some rebalancing, you can use the touchscreen in some of the menus and you can zoom in and out with the right analog stick, but that's all the significant additions.

Rarutos

New bosses (top two boxes here) designed to crush you horribly, new recipes, new materials. About what you'd expect I suppose.

That's basically everything that matters there in the OP, there's a few minor bits like some rebalancing, you can use the touchscreen in some of the menus and you can zoom in and out with the right analog stick, but that's all the significant additions.

Thank you very much! I figured there would be new bosses. :)

kerrak

Can somebody please explain in what aspects the crafting/alchemy system stands out in this series compared to other rpgs?

zulux21

Can somebody please explain in what aspects the crafting/alchemy system stands out in this series compared to other rpgs?

main things
there is a level up system for the crafting (in some games but not many)
every single one of your ingredients have a quality (and level) that effect the final item
there are special stats on most of the ingredients that add bonuses which is random on your items, so what your ingredients have on them is important.
your alchemy doesn't cost you money just ingredients and time.
you can craft armor but you do it by making materials with alchemy and bringing it to a blacksmith, which can make really unique equipment because of all the unique stuff the base material can have.
Since the alchemy is important every area has gathering points to get materials, you can get some from killing enemies too but most are picked up off the ground.

I am sure there is more but that is what I have off the top of my head.

Durante

I'll try. In the Atelier games, you gather resources for crafting by either searching at gathering spots or from monsters. You then use these to craft more sophisticated ingredients or the final items. So far, so ordinary.

What makes the whole system unique is that each individual item has its own quality metric and a number of traits. There are hundreds of traits out there, from simple ones like "heavy" over ones like "+5 strength" to complex ones such as "Rainbow Power" which adds multiple types of elemental damage. When crafting an item, different traits from the base item can be selected and sometimes combined, and new traits are generated based on the target item type and the type, level and suitability (which depends on the recipe) of your ingredients. It's really a very nifty and rather intricate system.

Another point which drives home how alchemy is really a central gameplay mechanic as important as battles in other JRPGs is how you have special equipment slots for non-battle equipment, which e.g. allows you to carry more items or traverse the map more quickly. Of course, the items for these slots are also crafted using alchemy. As is battle equipment and tons of usable items.

Shoyz

XzdYeqz.jpg

Digital Only = No buy. :/

And just like that? Why isn't NIS doing atelier anymore? :(

Koei-Tecmo bought Gust, the company that makes the Atelier games and since K-T 'has' an American branch, they are probably doing the releases from now on.

Though, NISA still did the localization for Ayesha and they are probably using NISA's localization for this port as well.

zychi

Banned
When are we getting our ps money back for spending $50+? I'd love to get this for "$20" from the two promotions being added up

Coxy

man, what the hell tecmo-koei, if you cant be arsed to say ONE WORD about this then at least stop gagging nisa and let them handle it, this suits EVERYONE better

Stuart444

I just sent two tweets to TK Europe twitter asking 1. If we'll be getting this and 2. why the hell didn't TK US announce it.

I hope they are not expecting anything from it :/

Animekatt

Hmm. Still haven't bought it yet. I'm holding out hope that there will be a physical version of this somewhere. Does this have a separate trophy list than the OG version?

Rarutos

I just sent two tweets to TK Europe twitter asking 1. If we'll be getting this and 2. why the hell didn't TK US announce it.

Tecmo-Koei NA has almost literally no PR/Community/Whatever presence, sadly. Atelier Ayesha isn't even on their site yet. :/

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I'm gonna wait until the 16th to see if there is any word of a physical version or not. I wouldn't mind buying it digital at all, but them memory card prices. I only have about 2 gigs left on my 16 gig OTL.

Stuart444

Tecmo-Koei NA has almost literally no PR/Community/Whatever presence, sadly. Atelier Ayesha isn't even on their site yet. :/

Yeah, I heard :/ just had my fiancee look up their site and nothing Atelier was seen. Their last thing on FB was December 2012, their last tweet was 17th of May and 2 years ago was their last video on youtube.

Just... what the hell kind of company is this? Creepy.

Eusis

If they REALLY want to keep this stuff under their umbrella but not put any effort in they may as well just make an arrangement with NISA that everything's the same as before, but TK's logo is on the front with NISA next to it/on the back and TK gets publishing credit, because TK clearly doesn't care to do marketing or anything here, and they were involved in at least distribution beforehand anyway so it's probably not TOO big of a change anyway.

Rarutos

I'm gonna wait until the 16th to see if there is any word of a physical version or not. I wouldn't mind buying it digital at all, but them memory card prices. I only have about 2 gigs left on my 16 gig OTL.

Someone on PS3Trophies said they talked to someone on some NISA IRC that GS might have physical versions, but I call bs. Lol, Gamestop has a page up for Totori Plus that only says Download already anyway. :/

Eusis

Yeah, I wouldn't count on it, but since it's DD it doesn't hurt to wait at least until the end of the month.

Rarutos

I probably should have waited to buy it, but I insta-bought it the moment it went up. I'm so bad.

At least I was able to take that dual-audio screenshot! Though I could have easily had someone else do it, I suppose.

damn outta nowhere, I have been wanting to get into this series. I was gonna start with Meruru since it sounded more interesting then move to Ayesha. What say you Atelier fans?

Eusis

Totori's one of the best regarded entries as of late, there's a reason they skipped Rorona to put this up first. But I would at least wait to see what people say about the performance, in the off chance it's REALLY bad. I think it may've been patched, but perhaps not.

Though that may not matter if PS3's not an option for you anyway.

Rarutos

damn outta nowhere, I have been wanting to get into this series. I was gonna start with Meruru since it sounded more interesting then move to Ayesha. What say you Atelier fans?

I'd say it's better to start with Totori before getting into Meruru anyway. Since Meruru is a lot more dependant on continuity than Totori is. Or you could just skip straight to Ayesha since it's a whole new continuity.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
If they REALLY want to keep this stuff under their umbrella but not put any effort in they may as well just make an arrangement with NISA that everything's the same as before, but TK's logo is on the front with NISA next to it/on the back and TK gets publishing credit, because TK clearly doesn't care to do marketing or anything here, and they were involved in at least distribution beforehand anyway so it's probably not TOO big of a change anyway.

Yeah, I wish that's how thing would go too. I really don't trust TK since they don't do any marketing or go digital only over here. TK America is a mess.

Someone on PS3Trophies said they talked to someone on some NISA IRC that GS might have physical versions, but I call bs. Lol, Gamestop has a page up for Totori Plus that only says Download already anyway. :/

Well, that gives me some hope ^_^
I probably should have waited to buy it, but I insta-bought it the moment it went up. I'm so bad.

At least I was able to take that dual-audio screenshot! Though I could have easily had someone else do it, I suppose.

I personally thank you for that =3

I'd say it's better to start with Totori before getting into Meruru anyway. Since Meruru is a lot more dependant on continuity than Totori is. Or you could just skip straight to Ayesha since it's a whole new continuity.

I liked the fact that Meruru was like building your kingdom or something, I like stuff like that. So I shouldn't worry about Rorona?

Top Bottom