• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan |OT| - Like a Braus

Okay, got the game on PC, and this lack of Vsync is killing me. Are the only options using window mode or forcing it with Nvidia? If so, how do I do that second one?

Corpekata

Banned
Okay, got the game on PC, and this lack of Vsync is killing me. Are the only options using window mode or forcing it with Nvidia? If so, how do I do that second one?

Create a profile for it under Manage 3D settings in the Control Panel. If it doesn't populate automatically in the programs list you may need to hit Add, and it should show all your recent launched programs. Add it. Vsync option will be at the bottom.

Can also try Rivatuner if the NVCP doesn't work.

Never seen the show, what the fuck just happened at the end of mission 3!?? Jesus. I bought this on a total whim after seeing some gameplay footage yesterday, the movement and combat looked really fluid and unique, the introduction was pretty bad but it's really growing on me after a few more missions.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think intrusive is being far too kind.

It's tied with Team Ninja's FF Dissidia as one of the worst HUDs I've ever seen.

Outside of that how you enjoying the game as a fan of the series? Ive been waiting a while to hear what your thoughts are on the game lol

SilentRob

Meh, with a game like this I don't see many people who didn't follow the story buying the game in the first place.

It should absolutely be hidden behind a spoiler tag since it wasn't actually shown in the first season of Attack on Titan, which most people know the series from over here.

Parakeetman

I'm getting it tomorrow (I'm in NA).

Man thats weird its the other way around. Will be looking forward to hearing your impressions then after you get some good hands on flying through the air cutting up naked people lol

cireza

I have reached Chapter 3 and find that there is a pretty big bump in difficulty there.

So I am playing in Expedition mode for now. I have 100%ed the first region.

I understand the stats of the equipment (it is pretty well explained, and not overly complicated). But I still don't really know what is the most useful.

I have been trying various weapons and all. Will have to experiment some more.

Parakeetman

I have reached Chapter 3 and find that there is a pretty big bump in difficulty there.

So I am playing in Expedition mode for now. I have 100%ed the first region.

I understand the stats of the equipment (it is pretty well explained, and not overly complicated). But I still don't really know what is the most useful.

I have been trying various weapons and all. Will have to experiment some more.

With the wires, basically speed is what you want since that has a direct effect on damage when compounded with the weapons output.

Though what you will need to consider is how good are you at getting a good angle of attack from the get go. As usually the faster 3DMGs have a poor anchor rate I think it was. The weaker the anchor rate or whatever they called the stat is, dictates how well you are able to stick to a titan basically. Weaker ones will the wire will break free from and stronger ones will allow you to hold on longer or something like that. There is a fairly noticeable difference between good vs poor. So feel free to experiment and see what you prefer.

Higher damage blades have lower durability so finding replacements at times depending on where you are on the map might cause issues. Early on I used those weird looking little knives for quite some time as they had a fairly good balance and damage output. Though might be different for you as am not sure what your playstyle is like. Later on you will be pretty much using those massive katanas as you can see levi holding in a screenshot in the OP. Though getting resources to upgrade those is a pain in the ass. D:

Forgot what the other direct stats are, but consider those.

The gas tanks thats more your play style with how fast you want to go around the map and such which is a huge help when trying to take out some of the titans that can be placed on the outskirts of a map then getting back to where you need to go. Though faster tanks lose gas quite quickly so that is the downside to them. For the most part its better to go with something a bit more balanced as you really lose a ton of speed if you totally run out of gas and have to hoof it somewhere that can cause you to fail a mission due to too many casualties. Through the cities its easier to use the more powerful tanks as lots of stuff to attach yourself too but out in the large open fields you most def want something a bit more balanced as getting stuck on the ground is not fun at all when there are titans all over lol. Also the gas can help with your attacks by boosting when going in to strike. Though you can lose a lot of gas that way if you constantly do it every time you attack. Was a bad habit of mine D:

AH! Remembered what the other blade stat was, think its length of the blade. Which is for how close you need to be to the target point in order to successfully hit it. While the daggers for example had higher damage the range was quite short in comparison to the other types adding that extra layer of risk with having to get in closer than normal / effecting timing of the attack.

antitrop

Man thats weird its the other way around. Will be looking forward to hearing your impressions then after you get some good hands on flying through the air cutting up naked people lol
It will be tough to put down Overwatch, but the reviews were positive enough and the traversal looks straight up awesome.

Also my boy Levi got the best stats, so I'll probably just play him and cut up lots of giant naked men that prance around like idiots. It will be fun, I'm sure.

cireza

Good post.

Maybe I should stop boosting every time I attack lol.

Otherwise, I have the same understanding as you. If I sum this up :

Blade :
1) Damage
2) Length (makes it easier to strike if value is higher)
3) Durability

Gear :
1) Gas (size of the tank)
2) Movement speed (speed when you "fly" around)
3) Number of blades you can take with you

Wire :
1) Boost speed (makes you boost stronger, more damage when boosting)
2) Lock-on distance (will allow to lock-on from further away)
3) Strength (allows staying attached to titan longer)

I think that I will switch to the "knife" type weapon, should help a lot. I find that my blade is depleted too fast. I also don't recommend making "chain attacks" because it depletes the blade a lot.

I will also try a slower gear with more gas, and a wire not aimed towards boost speed but allowing to stay attached for a longer time instead. Will try it this evening.

Is there any chance well see a resolution unlocker for this? The aliasing is fucking killing me on PC. And its a shame because it would be utterly fucking beautiful with some downsampling.

shiyrley

Banned
Game audio is fine, no real AOT or anime fan would EVER want an english dub and they respected that fact.
xEzpWzY.jpg

You stop having any kind of chance of wining any kind of argument or even just being taken seriously from the very same moment you combine the words "real" and "fan".

I guess the dozens of english dub fans are gonna miss out. Lmao.

Nnnnnn the site I usually buy games from is out of stock of the ps4 version. Damn.

Flunkie

Banned
Game audio is fine, no real AOT or anime fan would EVER want an english dub and they respected that fact.
No real fan? There are plenty of people out there who prefer dubs, which is why they happen in the first place - so more fucking people can experience it. No real fan would ever actively wish for a certain audience to be excluded. Having options is never a bad thing.

Parakeetman

It will be tough to put down Overwatch, but the reviews were positive enough and the traversal looks straight up awesome.

Also my boy Levi got the best stats, so I'll probably just play him and cut up lots of giant naked men that prance around like idiots. It will be fun, I'm sure.

Levi destroys shit so bad its hilarious just like the anime. Really well done stuff. As once you get the groove going its just like watching the anime with how fast titans can drop and you can pick up some serious speed with the 3d maneuver gear if you hit things right after grasping how it works in game.

For a single player experience and yourself being a fan am sure you will have a good enough time as a nice distraction from Overwatch lol

My only main disappointment was they were unable to get the actual music from the anime itself. As if they had the epic soundtrack in there it would have been INSANE. But the music they got is still fairly good.

bunkitz

Genuine question, and I'm not trying to dis the game or anything, but is it actually fun? I watched some gameplay videos and trailers and it just looked really repetitive to me. Moving around with the 3D Maneuver Gear's cool, but fighting the Titans themselves looked pretty boring. I like AoT enough, so I was pretty excited when I first saw this, but quickly lost interest when I saw gameplay. It looks fantastic, though. Coincidentally, I also lost interest in the series now because the wait for season 2 has been too long.

cireza

I also lost interest in the series now because the wait for season 2 has been too long.
Good things take time, and they made the best choice by waiting some more before starting the anime. I read the manga, and the anime's next season's content will be fantastic.

Otherwise, the game is a lot of fun, and it is also repetitive. That's your standard Omega Force game.

Parakeetman

Genuine question, and I'm not trying to dis the game or anything, but is it actually fun? I watched some gameplay videos and trailers and it just looked really repetitive to me. Moving around with the 3D Maneuver Gear's cool, but fighting the Titans themselves looked pretty boring. I like AoT enough, so I was pretty excited when I first saw this, but quickly lost interest when I saw gameplay. It looks fantastic, though. Coincidentally, I also lost interest in the series now because the wait for season 2 has been too long.

The fighting can get repetitive, though if you ever wanted to "experience" the anime first hand in gameplay form there is no better title.

While the titans do look a bit stupid on the harder stages of the recon missions things can get more challenging. Most of the story stuff is fairly easy and for those who want more do the other mode.

So its really up to you with what you want out of the title. As Ive stated in the past the games system is not deep in particular, but more about giving fans the experience of fighting titans using the 3d maneuver gear.

Good post.

Maybe I should stop boosting every time I attack lol.

Otherwise, I have the same understanding as you. If I sum this up :

Heh yeah you should, boosting only "stops" time and is useful for getting multiple hits on a titan before it can move around, it also makes your approach safe.

Also aside from gear stats, you need to consider character stats as well, Hange has the best dexterity, so her boost consumes far less gas than Eren, because his dexterity is garbage.

It's a lot of fun imo, especially when you get in fights that have 5+ titans swarming. Also the "super mode" basically has you boosting and zipping around faster than the armored core games.
Once you get a real feel for the target switching and when to anchor again after a hit, it's a joy.
But it does boil down to killing the same enemies over and over again like in every musou game, if those aren't for you, you won't like this either.

Namikaze

My only main disappointment was they were unable to get the actual music from the anime itself. As if they had the epic soundtrack in there it would have been INSANE. But the music they got is still fairly good.

That would've been amazing. Even the 3DS game had the anime soundtrack and it enhanced everything about that horrible game. The original soundtrack in this game is decent but I find that it ruins some of the anime cutscenes for me; it's a bit bland in certain areas.

Welp, just had to request a refund on Steam because the game constantly crashed on the second mission.

Now I had to re-preorder the PS4 version on amazon, but it is now too late for release date shipping, so I had to pay 4 bucks for 1 day shipping in order to get it tomorrow :(

Parakeetman

Aw man no anime ost? I was so close to pulling that trigger . . . That shit made the show

mods pls help me

Am guessing its due to they not wanting to shell out for the licensing fees. Damned shame as it most def would have added a lot to the overall atmosphere as the original music used was fantastic and fit perfectly.

This Levi guy is OP. Barely need to use any gas. Also found out that you can kill titans by doing the mid-air blade swap move while focused on the nape. I didn't think the old blades that you throw away would actually hurt anything.

Should I watch this show? I kind of like what I am seeing in the game. Is there much fanservicey bullshit?

This Levi guy is OP. Barely need to use any gas. Also found out that you can kill titans by doing the mid-air blade swap move while focused on the nape. I didn't think the old blades that you throw away would actually hurt anything.

Should I watch this show? I kind of like what I am seeing in the game. Is there much fanservicey bullshit?

Levi is the "lu bu" of this game, he's monstrous.
There is no fanservice in the anime.

Parakeetman

The show is more filled with "stalling" bullshit due to at the time the production was unable to keep up with the pace of the show leading to hilarious results such as rough artwork making its way into the actual aired episodes.

But regardless of that still is worth watching if you like what you see in the game.

Manga of course has the most details with the story and all that but folks seem to hate the artstyle due to it looking "odd" so to speak. Which is why more people seem to like the anime.

bunkitz

Good things take time, and they made the best choice by waiting some more before starting the anime. I read the manga, and the anime's next season's content will be fantastic.

Otherwise, the game is a lot of fun, and it is also repetitive. That's your standard Omega Force game.

Yeah, I know that, and I'm sure the second season will be great, but I just don't have any interest in it until it comes, I guess. I've heard some people say that the manga's been kind of a mess, though.

Ah, never played anything from Omega Force, so I wouldn't know, but that sounds kind of like Dynasty Warriors and the like. I can only enjoy games like that for a short while.

The fighting can get repetitive, though if you ever wanted to "experience" the anime first hand in gameplay form there is no better title.

While the titans do look a bit stupid on the harder stages of the recon missions things can get more challenging. Most of the story stuff is fairly easy and for those who want more do the other mode.

So its really up to you with what you want out of the title. As Ive stated in the past the games system is not deep in particular, but more about giving fans the experience of fighting titans using the 3d maneuver gear.

Yeah, I think this is actually pretty close to being a perfect representation of the series in the form of a game. Graphically, it looks spot on, and the 3D Maneuver Gear gameplay looks really good. I just don't think that Attack on Titan can have the type of game that wouldn't be repetitive and is a lot of fun for me, sadly.

It's a lot of fun imo, especially when you get in fights that have 5+ titans swarming. Also the "super mode" basically has you boosting and zipping around faster than the armored core games.
Once you get a real feel for the target switching and when to anchor again after a hit, it's a joy.
But it does boil down to killing the same enemies over and over again like in every musou game, if those aren't for you, you won't like this either.
Even as thrilling as fighting 5+ Titans sound, it's just the same for each one at the end of the day, right? Yeah, doesn't really sound like my type of game. Still, it's cool that this game exists because the show has a lot of fans and this looks like a very accurate representation of the game. Fans seem to be enjoying it, so that's great.

Even as thrilling as fighting 5+ Titans sound, it's just the same for each one at the end of the day, right? Yeah, doesn't really sound like my type of game. Still, it's cool that this game exists because the show has a lot of fans and this looks like a very accurate representation of the game. Fans seem to be enjoying it, so that's great.

I think the most thrilling parts of the game is when all the movement in the game comes together perfectly.
Like if you are boosting around in super mode heading towards an objective, but on your way you spot a solider that's grabbed by a titan and is about to get killed, yet you manage to lock on the nape, one shot the titan, while hearing the soldier in the background thanking you as you boost away without missing a beat.

The movement seriously makes the game for me.

Glix

Any vita impressions?

I was watching a side by side youtube vid with the Vita and PS4 versions and the vita version didn't seem to be as bad as everyone is saying.

I am a HUGE fan of the source material.

Parakeetman

Any vita impressions?

I was watching a side by side youtube vid with the Vita and PS4 versions and the vita version didn't seem to be as bad as everyone is saying.

I am a HUGE fan of the source material.

If you have a PS4 dont buy the Vita version as it does not do the game justice and you are only hamstringing yourself by doing so.

I have both btw.

Glix

If you have a PS4 dont buy the Vita version as it does not do the game justice and you are only hamstringing yourself by doing so.

I have both btw.

What a bummer, I so prefer portable.

Is it like the difference between JStars PS3 and Vita, or worse?

Parakeetman

What a bummer, I so prefer portable.

Is it like the difference between JStars PS3 and Vita, or worse?

Game uses pretty open long distances and requires stuff to be processed quickly due to the speed of the game itself when traversing around with the 3d maneuver gear so things like pop in and whatnots happen more often than the PS4 version, which it still does occur depending on the stage / location / situation.

Though since you are a more portable player you might as well get it on the Vita otherwise you are going to have a constant nagging feeling why cant you play on the go.

Due to how this game is designed and to get the most out of the experience the graphical and performance push you can get from either the PC or PS4 outweighs the Vita. Its similar to how Toukiden 2 is like night & day when compared to how the PS4 and PSV versions look. Granted performance is not as big of an issue on that game as its not having to process the enviro / objects at a high speed like AOT.

dwix

I believe the game comes out on August 30 for the US.

It does! I think we are just so used to being able to pre-order/pre-load games now that it not being up there is weird. I was about to make a post asking the same thing, especially since there are pre-order bonuses.

So any favourites yet?
I guess a lot of people will gravitate towards levi and mikasa, I personally like christa the best.
She's a bit more advanced than the other characters, but once you figure her out, she feels just as unstoppable as levi, or at least mikasa.
It also helps that her skills help with grinding, considering how much grinding needs to be done for high level gear.

Also why isn't miche playable? He's an S-ranking teammate and even has different costumes.

Top Bottom