• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
heard this place was extremely bad at spoil tagging, so I can't participate here.

yah need to get it together here please. fuck that guy on page 13.

heard this place was extremely bad at spoil tagging, so I can't participate here.

Basically telling an innocent person to fuck off for discussing AoT? Am I right? It's no wonder why this thread has so few people discussing anything.

TheFlow

Banned
Basically telling an innocent person to fuck off for discussing AoT? Am I right? It's no wonder why this thread has so few people discussing anything.

I assume it was you?

Straight from the OT:

"No manga talk beyond what has been covered up to the current episode please. Also don't be that guy who thinks they are clever by constantly hint-hinting at stuff, or the person who constantly asks questions that would obviously be a spoiler if answered. "

I assume it was you?

Straight from the OT:

"No manga talk beyond what has been covered up to the current episode please. Also don't be that guy who thinks they are clever by constantly hint-hinting at stuff, or the person who constantly asks questions that would obviously be a spoiler if answered. "

The guy you told to fuck off didn't even spoil anyhting, they didn't read the manga and they made a speculation based on the anime, I think that barging into the thread and just saying fuck off to someone is really rude.

I was expecting (hoping) that we'd get some background on Ymir and how she discovered she was a Titan. I get it, they can't reveal too much, but this slow pace is killing me. Start revealing some secrets already. Goddamn.

Saying that, next weeks preview looks interesting.

I assume it was you?

Straight from the OT:

Stop your stupid hunt I'm obviously not. People like you are why nobody wants to discuss anything here for fear of being accused of being a "spoiler".

I was expecting (hoping) that we'd get some background on Ymir and how she discovered she was a Titan. I get it, they can't reveal too much, but this slow pace is killing me. Start revealing some secrets already. Goddamn.

Saying that, next weeks preview looks interesting.

Attack on titan does have a lot of slow moments that is usually followed with a fairly lengthy action scene. There's good content to follow, just hope they pace the episodes well enough. This episode was fine but the long gap between seasons meant some people I knew totally forgot about Ymir in season 1.

Spoilers: thanos is in this
Well...
IMG_4099.jpg

Brakke

Banned
I hope next week Mikasa gets to do something. Im pretty over her just being silent and excellent.

Lol what is this. Y'all on some secret misinformation gossip thread or something?

jett

D-Member
I thought I had missed an episode at first, heh.

Isn't Eren supposed to be the main character? :p I think this is about where I stopped reading the manga. This season is okay so far, but it sure looks good.

Isn't Eren supposed to be the main character? :P I think this is about where I stopped reading the manga. This season is okay so far, but it sure looks good.

You joke, but the series truly leave being Eren-centric, the plot turns to be bigger than that.

LordOfChaos

Isn't Eren supposed to be the main character? :p I think this is about where I stopped reading the manga. This season is okay so far, but it sure looks good.

I'm so glad it didn't go the direction of The Eren Show/Manga

Honestly everyone else is so much more interesting, lol.

Yoda

I'm so glad it didn't go the direction of The Eren Show/Manga

Honestly everyone else is so much more interesting, lol.

Eren is still very much the main protagonist of the series, having a few episodes where he isn't the focus doesn't mean it's going Game of Thrones style where it's a collections of different narratives.

Wilsongt

Holy shit I was just rewatching old scenes from season 1 and I remembered this scene, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRumNYoCllo

Did Ymir train this titan in her titan form?
Also, if this is a manga spoiler, I swear I have never touched the manga, this is pure speculation.

this is actually explained in the manga. So they might actually get to it in season 3 or 4 given at what point in the mang it was talked about.

Welcome to mod voice:

Speculation and guessing are not spoilers.

I repeat, speculation and guessing are not spoilers. It doesn't matter if you're right. You do not and should not have to spoiler tag your guesses as to future directions of a show. Multiple other show threads get this, but somehow we've ended up in hellish territory here.

If you're a manga reader, don't post spoilers. If you're a manga reader, don't flip out over speculation, because that makes people think it's a spoiler.

Get it together, or the bans will begin in earnest. If you can't keep your thread in line, I will.

The rest of you, thank you for keeping the discussion moving. Enjoy the show.

Holden

MAN FUCK

i was wondering a bit more about something that didn't seem directly related to the show and I GOT SPOILERED KILL ME

don't look up the marvel crossover

DarkKyo

MAN FUCK

i was wondering a bit more about something that didn't seem directly related to the show and I GOT SPOILERED KILL ME

don't look up the marvel crossover

AoT is one of those things where you can't risk googling ANYTHING from the show because everything is a spoiler. Between character deaths and titan mysteries most google search results about pretty much anything or anyone related to the story will contain spoilers.

LordOfChaos

Eren is still very much the main protagonist of the series, having a few episodes where he isn't the focus doesn't mean it's going Game of Thrones style where it's a collections of different narratives.

It's also not The Goku Show like DBZ, it's a middle ground.

Glad the manga took the time to explore everyone else more. Going all Eren saves the world episode of the week would weaken the show.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean, from S1 it already gave me the impression that Eren ain't that big of a deal, what if Levi and Mikasa being the standouts in regards to fighting Titans "normally", and him ranking like #5 out of the Top 10 or whatever.

Like obviously him being able to transform into a Titan gives him an obvious advantage, but I found it interesting that the anime never showcased him as having the potential to be perfect at everything. He's just a guy with a lot of passion that happened to get some very useful powers.

turmoil

Banned
I don't have a problem with Eren not being the most competent character, but I have a problem with him being boring as hell when not in combat.

I would take even Connie as MC instead of him.

Well, not Connie but anyone else I would do it.

About AoT and central characters, it's kind of funny how I thought at first Jean would be important, after Eren/Mikasa/Armin, maybe as a rival, maybe as best friend.
But time passed, and he is basically a random background character. Some characters like Mikasa and Levi are important because their are the elite fighters. Armin or Erwin are the tacticians. Others are important because they are antagonists, like Annie or the Beast titan. Hange is the scientist and backup leader. Others because they have plot relevance, like we have seen with Ymir. Sasha is at least humor relief.

But Jean? He is just... there.

Brakke

Banned
I have no interest in Eren and I basically don't even want to see him show up unless he's putting a key into the door of the basement. Show's done a weird thing where he was the clear protagonist and then they moved away from him into a more ensemble show. But... there's so much significant mystery shit still hanging off him that they clearly have to return to him in a big way or else the coitus interruptus is real.

So I'm stuck in this dumb middle spot where I both never want to see him again but am also annoyed every time they put off his return.

It might be a good idea to specify that manga spoilers are not allowed in the thread's title, yeah... Ideally, the OP should be enough, but...

Problem isn't just "manga spoilers" so much as participation by manga-readers *at all* just makes the thing messy. They end up making innuendo or allusion and as we've seen several times end up confirming speculation even without meaning to.

Game of Thrones book readers were strongly discouraged from posting at all in Game of Thrones show thread. That's the way it should be here.

frontovik

Banned
Can you guys follow MHWilliams' disclaimer before one of you gets banned? This whole talk about the fine line between speculation and spoiler is getting really tiresome.

With regards to the discussion, I find the anime entertaining thus far .. but it'll never get me into the manga.

kirblar

Problem isn't just "manga spoilers" so much as participation by manga-readers *at all* just makes the thing messy. They end up making innuendo or allusion and as we've seen several times end up confirming speculation even without meaning to.

Game of Thrones book readers were strongly discouraged from posting at all in Game of Thrones show thread. That's the way it should be here.
It also helps when people use non-declarative language when speculating instead of treating their speculations as fact.

Is there a specific rule with date/spoiler tagging fresh stuff w/ some other shows, or is it just going by the "if its aired, its fair game" rule we use for US TV shows since it's airing on a Saturday Morning? (I feel like this is leading to confusion on when to use them)

Brakke

Banned
It also helps when people use non-declarative language when speculating instead of treating their speculations as fact.

I don't know why you think I of all people need to be told that right now...

Anyway I'm all the way done talking about spoiler policies.

BIGWORM

I didn't even know this show came back on! Missed it a lot. Just got done with the Southwestward episode. Eren is about to get crazy, me thinks. How far outward is the manga from here? I might look into it and spoil myself rotten.

kirblar

I didn't even know this show came back on! Missed it a lot. Just got done with the Southwestward episode. Eren is about to get crazy, me thinks. How far outward is the manga from here? I might look into it and spoil myself rotten.
Very very far out. They had to delay the Anime so long because it's a monthly and it's not very fast, and they seem to have wanted to avoid needing such long delays going forward.

I would strongly recommend holding off on Manga catchup till the end of the season, the Anime is generally better. (the artist isn't bad at all, but the motion/combat gets a lot of added value from animation.)

BIGWORM

Very very far out. They had to delay the Anime so long because it's a monthly and it's not very fast, and they seem to have wanted to avoid needing such long delays going forward.

I would strongly recommend holding off on Manga catchup till the end of the season, the Anime is generally better. (the artist isn't bad at all, but the motion/combat gets a lot of added value from animation.)

Oh yeah, that's the plan. Once this season is over, I'll start on the manga from where the anime took off. They couldn't do a shiitake ton of filler like Naruto? Maybe there just isn't a lot of lore like the Naruto to flesh out the AOT world?

turmoil

Banned

last episode ended in ch41 of 93 available.

Erigu

They couldn't do a shiitake ton of filler like Naruto? Maybe there just isn't a lot of lore like the Naruto to flesh out the AOT world?
I'm sure they could (just look at all those spin-offs), but that really, really doesn't mean they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom