• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Eren's "blue screen of death" moment as they are riding away, and him reminiscing about Hannes, all the while Sawano's god tier OST playing in the background....

This show is incredible, and this season was a brilliant follow up to the first; so much more character development for everybody this time around.

What a great season, so many revelations and mysteries have come to light and I'm excited to see how they handle Season 3.

Ymir's character arc is one of the most compelling I've seen in any show thus far, it's been handled exceptionally well.

JdlZj9E6TtGcDoVitaqcWg.png

They better keep that opening for next season and expand on what happens, otherwise I've been tricked

You've been tricked; that opening scene was pure nonsense and meant to mislead the audience, lol

88random

So there's something bothering me about the ending credits. Most of it seemed to be meant to be taken more-or-less literally as a prologue to AoT, but I'm not sure what to make of the crossed out woman at the very end. Am I missing some obvious parallel with the show or real world artwork that might give some insight on what it means?

There is some stuff there but it would be very difficult to piece it together if you haven't already read the manga. The ending is more like a nod to those who read it.

dickroach

You've been tricked; that opening scene was pure nonsense and meant to mislead the audience, lol

well fuck this show then.
i was certain Eren was going to wipe out the Colossal, Armored, and Beast titans by turning into a t-rex, possibly by throwing his hat at it

FluxWaveZ

I never saw it being misleading, being an anime watcher. I just saw that segment as an analogue for apex predators. Not that a T-Rex would literally appear in this show.

Yeah its supposed to be Apex predators, implying humanitys time at the top of the food chain is long gone.

But it would be hype if it was a long con reveal of titan dinosaurs

orochi91

well fuck this show then.
i was certain Eren was going to wipe out the Colossal, Armored, and Beast titans by turning into a t-rex, possibly by throwing his hat at it
I look forward to the Mario x Titan fan-fiction, lol

I never saw it being misleading, being an anime watcher. I just saw that segment as an analogue for apex predators. Not that a T-Rex would literally appear in this show.
It was a rather shrewd move by the studio since they would effectively misdirect the audience once the Beast Ape Titan shows up by the end of episode 1. Many people would naturally assume that other types of beasts would show up.

My friend didn't bother watching this season at first because she thought an actual T-rex would show up later on, lmao

It took a while to convince her that it wasn't actually going to happen.

BizzyBum

That inevitable cliffhanger was more tolerable to bear knowing next season is only a year away and with 25 episodes.

I was more relieved then anything by the end knowing no one substantial was killed. At points I was expecting Jean, Armin, Erwin, and even Mikasa to kick the bucket during that scene with Eren. I thought she was going to die or sacrifice herself to save Eren which in turn would awaken his Titan form or something. A lot of people didn't like that speech she gave but you also have to imagine she thought they were all going to die so might as well let it all out. My boy Hannes totally makes up for abandoning Eren's mom in the first episode, too. He didn't kill the smiling titan but he effectively bought Eren and Mikasa enough time and awoke Eren's coordinator ability so he's like officially the most important death on this show so far. I love how it came full circle and that payback on the smiling titan was so satisfying to watch.

I was pissed that Ymir decided to help Reiner and Bert. I get where she's coming from, though. A little weirded out by Erwin's smile at the end. I'm not sure if there's a deeper meaning to that or if it was just him simply being pleased on finally gaining some more knowledge on the titans. All I know is Levi better be back to kicking some ass in S3 again.

As for that dude at the end, I think it's too easy to peg him as Eren's dad, but it's possible. He didn't have blond hair but hair dying should be a thing, no? And it's possible he wasn't the ape titan himself, what if he was just catching a ride on him? I still think Eren's dad sacrificed himself and was eaten by Eren so he could control his titan form.

So there's something bothering me about the ending credits. Most of it seemed to be meant to be taken more-or-less literally as a prologue to AoT, but I'm not sure what to make of the crossed out woman at the very end. Am I missing some obvious parallel with the show or real world artwork that might give some insight on what it means?
Explaining it would required to get into present Manga territory and bit of fan theory since it hasn't been completely revealed. All you have to know is that the ending Its just more lore building in the background. It might not even make an appearance in the manga and might just be something Isayama told the anime team, just to mess with the manga readers.

Gaardus

There is some stuff there but it would be very difficult to piece it together if you haven't already read the manga. The ending is more like a nod to those who read it.
Explaining it would required to get into present Manga territory and bit of fan theory since it hasn't been completely revealed. All you have to know is that the ending Its just more lore building in the background. It might not even make an appearance in the manga and might just be something Isayama told the anime team, just to mess with the manga readers.
Cool, thanks.

orochi91

Kaji Yuki is incredibly talented; his performance brings so much life to Eren's character.

That emotional breakdown after Hannes got eviscerated gave me chills.

Give that man all the Japanese equivalent of the Oscars and Emmys, lol

BizzyBum

He is the Beast Titan, there is steam coming from the nape of the neck behind him, which indicates that he just popped out.

Okay, I should have just gone back and rewatched that scene but thanks for the clarification.

Kaji Yuki is incredibly talented; his performance brings so much life to Eren's character.

For real. The dub is not terrible but nowhere near him, plus the dub just mangles the titan voices.

Yeah there's a reason why I don't watch AOT dubbed. I caught some of the dub and it just seemed overly hammy and over acted in spots. The sub is great though. You can really get more character out of Armin and Mikasa with the sub as well. I love Koichi as Armin.

Agreed, that part was very powerful. Hit my emotions like a brick, even teared up a bit.

kirblar

Yeah there's a reason why I don't watch AOT dubbed. I caught some of the dub and it just seemed overly hammy and over acted in spots. The sub is great though. You can really get more character out of Armin and Mikasa with the sub as well. I love Koichi as Armin.
The only voice that sticks out as miscast in the Japanese version is Annie. Way too low energy.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Eren sucks

but he can control titans now got damn

yo it was a wild ride boyz

best thing to come out of this thread was titan juice

Soriku

I didn't really think Mikasa was going for a kiss, just leaning in to show affection. Anime thing.

giphy.gif

Replace guitar with titans

So cool episode but for FUCKS SAKE

Why must Eren only NOW realize that a small detail of his powers is commanding a horde of fucking titans? After two seasons and a trillion deaths? I'm guessing next season he finds out he can also manifest titans out of thin air

Also where the hell was Levi all season? He was the main reason I kept watching this show and all they had him do was talk. Severely disappointed

Heck scratch that, where was that opening bit showing the ape titan and a bunch of huge animals plowing through countless helpless people?

JdlZj9E6TtGcDoVitaqcWg.png

They better keep that opening for next season and expand on what happens, otherwise I've been tricked

It's just showing predators. You know how before that running scene you see still images of predators attacking their prey? Yeah.

FluxWaveZ

It was a rather shrewd move by the studio since they would effectively misdirect the audience once the Beast Ape Titan shows up by the end of episode 1. Many people would naturally assume that other types of beasts would show up.

Eh, I guess it'd be people who take everything literally and don't interpret symbolism very well. I'm not usually keen to metaphors, but the opening hits the viewer on top of the head with what it's going for.

I didn't really think Mikasa was going for a kiss, just leaning in to show affection. Anime thing.

I thought so too. Thought the faces were just being shown close for effect. But in the scene where Eren gets up, it definitely looks like Mikasa was leaning in for a kiss and needs to hold herself back from falling when Eren is no longer there.

Kyuur

Pretty good finale. Relieved to hear that the next season is only a year-ish away because I still have so many questions.

Also I can't believe people actually thought the animals in the OP meant anything. Its clearly symbolic or I will eat my hat :lol:

Maybe a previous coordinate user? Someone who can control other titans would certainly be worshiped by titan and human alike. Unsure what the cross is meant to signify though.

I am very glad I ate crow. S3 is going to reveal everything by the end. So those wanting answers guess you're getting your wish very soon. Needless to say get HYPED.

Kyuur

I just had a wild thought. What if Reiner doesn't want Eren to have the coordinate.. because whoever has it gets to marry Christa!?!? He doesn't want his bae to get with the worthless piece of crap that is Eren!

Ymir's theme song, ugh the feelings.

Is $@wAn0 behind it? I love it.

Was that her theme that played with the awesome Christa cut? If so, I agree, so awesome.

Kyuur

X marks the spot? As in coordinate?

Oh shit, you might be on to something. It did strike me as a weird name for whatever power Eren seems to have but if it was passed down in an obtuse form (like the shown tablet) I could see why they would use it.

I just had a wild thought. What if Reiner doesn't want Eren to have the coordinate.. because whoever has it gets to marry Christa!?!? He doesn't want his bae to get with the worthless piece of crap that is Eren!

Was that her theme that played with the awesome Christa cut? If so, I agree, so awesome.
I think that song is called Barricades. Was wondering when it'd show up. :]

Jigolo

Well shit for a second there I thought Mikasa was gonna bite the dust.

So anyway what chapters does these 12 episodes encompass? Where is it safe to start and finish without any spoilers for next years stuff?

Kickz

So when Ymir was talking about how there was no hope, but when Eren controlled the titans she changed her mind what was that about? is it because that ape titan is going to wake the titans within the walls and destroy everyone within but now since Eren can do the same there is hope to fight him?

I think its more that, humanity can't continue to lose territory/walls as they have been to Titans. But with Eren's new power he can stop the minor Titans so that the Walls can get fixed.

sdjkfhsdkjg

Just watched EP37.

I didn't know that was the finale, what the fuck.

I'm triggered.

I have legit shed tears during half of the season. This anime is everything and I hate anime. Explain.

I need to go buy an Attack on Titan tee.

ShadyK54

Ooh baby, this season. So glad Attack on Titan is back.

Shoutout to Eren's VA, they killed it during the scene with Hannes.

Going to have to go refresh myself on the manga because I barely remember the stuff about the Coordinate(?) power. Great season, & I'm glad the wait for a new season won't be as long as it was for this season.

So anyway what chapters does these 12 episodes encompass? Where is it safe to start and finish without any spoilers for next years stuff?

You can read up to chapter 50 called Cry or Scream. It's the same as this episode. Any further and you'll be going into deep territory.

LotusHD

Banned
Eren is at his best when he's completely batshit about killing titans.

I love his personality because it's absolutely the best at hyping you up, but I also love that the author doesn't make it this thing where he gets to magically come out on top and save the day just because he's really angry.

I'm not sure I get why people think that monkey titan is Eren's dad. Is it because Eren's father disappeared and monkey titan is really the only revealed character that we don't really know anything about?

From what we've seen I get the impression that monkey titan is an enemy of humanity (one that doesn't know what maneuver gear is but was intrigued enough by it to take it with him). I get the impression that Eren's father is not an enemy of humanity. Eren did say that his father had been acting weird since his mother died but if he really didn't want humanity to have a chance then why facilitate Eren getting titan power? But of course you never know.

We don't know either of Eren's parents names.

Does monkey titan or whoever is inside of it have telescope vision? Man is sitting all the way out on wall maria talking about "not yet" like he can see inside Eren's room or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom