• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin Thread of Hard Summer Justice Slam !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outcast2004 said:
I gotta ask, how long have you been watching wrestling if you're not annnoyed by how BAD this show has become?

Especially considering that their Friday show is so damn good right now. It's night and day.
Since 1997. Raw has always hovered around the same quality level. It's not supposed to be fantastic, as you then have no reason to buy the PPVs if they've given away all the good stuff. Smackdown tends to give away a lot of the good stuff - it's fun to watch but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Penguin said:
That would be an awesome finisher if they ever paired up. :lol
What FU? All Cena did was pick him up :lol Orton supplied the awesome.

... someone really needs to check Jericho, the angle his neck hit the mat was not pretty.

Kusagari

This Raw was easily the best guest host show besides the Shaq one. Heel Slaughter, Jericho being awesome, them actually building the MVP-Swagger feud, MIZ, HBK-HHH segments were actually funny, Cena-Orton teaming up.

JdFoX187

Banned
Thought Raw was pretty decent compared to recent weeks. Could have been better, but I guess standards have been lowered lately to the point where a solid night is entertaining.

Kusagari said:
This Raw was easily the best guest host show besides the Shaq one. Heel Slaughter, Jericho being awesome, them actually building the MVP-Swagger feud, MIZ, HBK-HHH segments were actually funny, Cena-Orton teaming up.

It's the same with Raw every week. Best parts have nothing at all to do with matches.

BigKaboom2 said:
Since 1997. Raw has always hovered around the same quality level. It's not supposed to be fantastic, as you then have no reason to buy the PPVs if they've given away all the good stuff. Smackdown tends to give away a lot of the good stuff - it's fun to watch but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

See, the bolded is where you're wrong (IMO) and also why their PPV buyrates have been slipping. There's nothign compelling or outstanding on their weekly TV to push you to actually ORDER the shows.

This isn't the 80's anymore. Squash matches against nobodies don't work anymore, you HAVE to give the crowd some steak with the sizzle to bait them into ordering the full course. BUT, with the quality of their flagship show in the absolute shitter their buyrates have been slipping.

There was a time when RAW was "can't miss TV" and that's sadly no longer the case. It's to the point it's almost painful to watch and you know it's because Vince has lost touch with the audience.

Smackdown gives away a lot because they can... they have a much smaller audience due to the network they are on. They can try some things out without it affecting their bottom line much.

Outcast2004 said:
There was a time when RAW was "can't miss TV" and that's sadly no longer the case.
I'd say it's just about the same as it was 10 years ago, but everyone who loved it then has grown up by now and no longer finds it particularly compelling.

BigKaboom2 said:
I'd say it's just about the same as it was 10 years ago, but everyone who loved it then has grown up by now and no longer finds it particularly compelling.

That may be part of it, but you tell me who now is as entertaining as Stone Cold or the Rock. I'll wait.

Keyser Soze said:
A few okay to great promos

Great promos? The HBK shit was unfunny, cringe-worthy even until he started throwing out super-kicks. Which lets face it; was pretty predictable given that's the only entertaining thing he's been doing over the past 5 years or so. The rest were awful to bad moments including flogging the bullshit horse of nationalism in wrestling dead for Vince lols and Cody Rhodes awe-inspiring display of charisma.

RAW as always was terrible, thank God Smackdown's amazing right now.

worldrunover said:
That may be part of it, but you tell me who now is as entertaining as Stone Cold or the Rock. I'll wait.
Cena, HHH, Undertaker, Jericho, Edge, Punk. But there's more to it than just the main event. I bet the "Attitude Era" midcard stuff would get widely panned if there were weekly GAF threads for it at the time, but it sure was entertaining when I was 12.

RBH

Poll from WWE.com:

Where Does Shawn Michaels Truly Belong?

Slinging sirloin steak burgers behind a grill in a corporate cafeteria in Texas. 59.61%

Distributing Sweet Chin Music to The Legacy at SummerSlam. 40.39%

THE WWE UNIVERSE HAS SPOKEN!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
jmdajr said:
I've been watching since it was called prime time wrestling....

wrestling has highs and lows.... I just roll with it

every decade wrestling fans have always had something to complain about

Yeah my gateway shows were the Muthaship and Legends of WCCW. I never got into WWF that much in the 80's. I also had access to Memphis at times.

JavyOO7

RAW has been really bad lately. Thankfully ECW and SD are great. I just really don't care for the guest host thing, though.

Barrage

Spirit of Jazz said:
Great promos? The HBK shit was unfunny, cringe-worthy even until he started throwing out super-kicks. Which lets face it; was pretty predictable given that's the only entertaining thing he's been doing over the past 5 years or so. \

Error. Hickenbottom.

RAW as always was terrible, thank God Smackdown's amazing right now.

:lol Wasn't the IWC crying about how the same old people got pushed? How there was no new faces?

The main event picture aside ....Swagger, MVP, Miz, Bourne, Legacy...I don't remember the last time so much of RAW was filled with young guys.

It wasn't a great (or even good) show, but to say it wasn't interesting is pushing it. WWEmore interesting now than it was for most the last two years.

JavyOO7

Scott D'Amore is lead agent for TNA's Knockout Division again, so Outcast should be happy. Its a good move on TNA's part.

RBH

JavyOO7 said:
Scott D'Amore is lead agent for TNA's Knockout Division again, so Outcast should be happy. Its a good move on TNA's part.
Good news.

D'Amore was the main man behind the summer of 2005 in TNA, so I welcome him back in any capacity with open arms.

Gritesh

I'm going to Smackdown! tonight here in Edmonton.

Apparently in the local paper they have been touting a CM Punk - Jeff Hardy Cage match for the main event....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom