• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Fredescu

Choc said:
news.com.au has a story from an alleged roebuck victim
"Alleged" is incorrect Choc, Henk is one of the three involved in the case against Roebuck ten years ago.

Agyar said:
It's only a 6-bit IPS panel, so barely better than a TN (if at all). 8-bit or bust.
It has better viewing angles than a TN, which is the main benefit of an IPS for a general use monitor.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
It has better viewing angles than a TN, which is the main benefit of an IPS for a general use monitor.

Image quality and accurate colour reproduction aren't a desirable benefit for "general use monitors"? Spend $500+ on the latest video card, display massive resolution textures on a shitty 6-bit panel that dithers away all the fun. Makes no sense.

Fredescu

Agyar said:
Image quality and accurate colour reproduction aren't a desirable benefit for "general use monitors"?
Sure, if they're not double the price. I have a 6bit and an 8bit monitor side by side and I've never noticed any extra dithering on the former. I've never gone looking for it, but that's the point, right? The viewing angles on the other hand are plain as day.

Choc

Banned
using alleged is a carry over from my media days people sheesh

;)

also if you are convicted of a crime of this nature, then you are on the sexual offenders (predators) list

so, perhaps its harsh but the law would see it that way

Fredescu

Choc said:
using alleged is a carry over from my media days people sheesh
Come on, you know the difference. There was a conviction based the quotes in that article. There is nothing "alleged" about it.

Choc said:
also if you are convicted of a crime of this nature, then you are on the sexual offenders (predators) list
From memory, Roebuck was convicted of common assault, not sexual assult, so he wouldn't.

giri

Salazar said:
We already knew all of that, though. I don't think "sexual predator" is a warranted description.
If he went after the poor by giving out money, then demanding/taking sexual favors, thats fairly predatory.

Though, i'm the first to say, i haven't been following this that closely, so my facts may be out of date.

jambo

Halo HD is pretty damn good, so easy to switch between the old graphics and the new. And your jaw always drops because they've really done great work. It looks like a whole new game, but with the same maps and areas that you know and love.

Can't wait for the Flood...

kRxRK.gif

jambo

Also the Grunt Funeral Skull you get with the pre-order or first run copies of the game is ridiculously hilarious.

Every grunt that you kill explodes like a plasma grenade, and any caught in the blast radius die and then explode as well. You pretty much just need to kill one and then it's just this beautiful chain reaction.

It's hilarious indoors, I've died so many times from dead grunts flying in to my face and exploding :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfNBCHYHFE

I stop paying attention to GAF for a week or so (OK, its been longer than that) and I miss the birth of the much the much anticipated 5/5? Son of a bitch.

So whats the verdict on Skyrim? Considering I didn't really like Oblivion but loved Fallout 3. I know I'm weird like that.

Clipper

Oh man... The replacement PS3 I bought from Amazon appears to be missing in the post. Tracking numbers didn't really show where it was, so I contacted both the US carrier (i-parcel) and Aus. Post for info. Both seem to agree that Australia Post received the package, but Aus. Post says that only the sender can initiate an investigation as to where it is now.

Now I have to act as middleman between Amazon, i-parcel and Aus. Post to try to figure out what's going to happen. I'm regretting not paying the extra $11 for courier shipping, but at the time I thought Expedited was just as safe an option, just taking a longer time, and I wasn't in all that much of a rush. I've also sent tons of stuff that way before, always arriving in about a week on the dot.

Never again... I'm always picking courier from now on even when I'm not ordering enough to make it the cheaper option (which still makes no sense to me).

Further to my post earlier this morning regarding my PC, I've decided it is time for a new build.

I'll probably being doing so early next year or next month, I don't really follow PC build stuff so I have a couple of questions:

- how much do I need to spend these days for something pretty decent?

- where is the best place to order stuff from (I'm in Sydney)

I might request some suggested builds from AusPCGAf closer to when I'm going to order but I wouldn't mind just getting an idea of how much I need to spend.

So two things: A Dance with Dragons never ends and
the addition of new characters that just get pulled out of GRRM's arse is just ridiculous. Worst offender is Prince Aegon who basically came out of nowhere. Also, Dany's story is pissing me off. This Daario guy is barely a character and she wastes all this time in Meereen with him when she should be marching on Westeros? Ugh.

GRRM could have condensed this and AFfC into one book and been all the better for it.

Also, I have this dull feeling of hype in the pit of my stomach when I think about Skyward Sword. Not nearly as strong as it might have been when I was a kid, but I haven't been quite this hyped for a game in years.

jambo

You should be able to get a decent system for around $1500, probably less if you already have a few things like KB+M, monitor, etc

Only thing that might be an issue is hard drive prices, what with the floods in Thailand.

And I've found PC Case Gear to be great.

jambo said:
You should be able to get a decent system for around $1500, probably less if you already have a few things like KB+M, monitor, etc

Only thing that might be an issue is hard drive prices, what with the floods in Thailand.

And I've found PC Case Gear to be great.

I don't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

I have set the expectation of about $1200 with the other half, based on some builds earlier in this thread. Would $1200 get me something pretty decent?

Edit: Also thanks by the way!

jambo

BanShunsaku said:
I don't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

I have set the expectation of about $1200 with the other half, based on some builds earlier in this thread. Would $1200 get me something pretty decent?

$1200 should get you a 2TB hard drive in a month or two =P

jambo said:
$1200 should get you a 2TB hard drive in a month or two =P

I have a 750 gig hard drive I could use, so hard drive wont be an issue thankfully! Should have mentioned that...

Fredescu said:
$1200 is a good amount, yeah. The last two builds I did I used a combination of parts from http://www.arc.com.au and http://www.itestate.com.au

Awesome. I might get some assistance from AusGAF when it comes time to order if thats OK. Now I just need to convince the GF that I need to do the upgrade!

jambo

BanShunsaku said:
I have a 750 gig hard drive I could use, so hard drive wont be an issue thankfully! Should have mentioned that...

Dammit I was joking, again!

$1200 will be fine. I have no idea what CPUs are out at the moment, I stop caring about hardware until a few weeks before I upgrade.

All I can say is get an NVIDIA card.

jambo said:
Dammit I was joking, again!

$1200 will be fine. I have no idea what CPUs are out at the moment, I stop caring about hardware until a few weeks before I upgrade.

All I can say is get an NVIDIA card.

Yeah this is me, pretty much. If I followed this stuff I would be continually wanting to upgrade!

And I'll definitely be sticking with Nvidia :)

giri

BanShunsaku said:
Further to my post earlier this morning regarding my PC, I've decided it is time for a new build.

I'll probably being doing so early next year or next month, I don't really follow PC build stuff so I have a couple of questions:

- how much do I need to spend these days for something pretty decent?

- where is the best place to order stuff from (I'm in Sydney)

I might request some suggested builds from AusPCGAf closer to when I'm going to order but I wouldn't mind just getting an idea of how much I need to spend.
keeping in mind i kept my video card (289GTX) and already have a good lian li case, and corsair modular 800w PSU.

I just recently dropped ~ $600 and got

an I5-2500k CPU
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 mobo
8gig of ram
OCZ Agility 3 sata 3 120gig SSD

and i know roughly 5 other people in the last month who have upgraded to almost the exact same spec (differing mainly on video card and mobo brand).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just have a budget in mind and when you really want to upgrade ask the question again.

In the future though there probably won't be much change in what people would recommend right now. You're probably not going to want sandy bridge-E since it offers little in performance when it comes to gaming and it's $$$.

Ivy bridge isn't out until march next year at the earliest and AMDs offerings aren't really worth looking at.

Rimfya

Banned
Not sure anyone else got on the MW3 eBay $55 deal of the day, but isn't it weird it's the American release of the game? I was under the impression the only region-free releases were typically the Asian ones.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have a copy of Child of Eden PS3 to trade, if anyone is interested.

Card Boy

Banned
Its pretty dumb when overseas servers are faster than Aussie ones.

Being trying to download Lord of the Rings: War in the North for 4 days now on Steam. The thing was going 1byte to 20kb/sec on every Aussie server. Everything else downloads at 1.4meg/sec at least.

Found a US server going at 300kb/sec.

Gez said:
Its pretty dumb when overseas servers are faster than Aussie ones.

Being trying to download Lord of the Rings: War in the North for 4 days now on Steam. The thing was going 1byte to 20kb/sec on every Aussie server. Everything else downloads at 1.4meg/sec at least.

Found a US server going at 300kb/sec.

i had the same trouble when i downloaded it like a week ago. was maxxing at 300kb/s

ps. anyone who is getting WITN, add me on steam as a friend. i'm in the ausgaf list. i really want 2 more people to play this with when i get home tonight!

Omi said:
Opening a banana from the other end has been a revelation.

Never.Go.Back.

but its all sticky down there, and there's that end bit you aren't supposed to eat...

Clipper said:
Oh man... The replacement PS3 I bought from Amazon appears to be missing in the post. Tracking numbers didn't really show where it was, so I contacted both the US carrier (i-parcel) and Aus. Post for info. Both seem to agree that Australia Post received the package, but Aus. Post says that only the sender can initiate an investigation as to where it is now.

Now I have to act as middleman between Amazon, i-parcel and Aus. Post to try to figure out what's going to happen. I'm regretting not paying the extra $11 for courier shipping, but at the time I thought Expedited was just as safe an option, just taking a longer time, and I wasn't in all that much of a rush. I've also sent tons of stuff that way before, always arriving in about a week on the dot.

Never again... I'm always picking courier from now on even when I'm not ordering enough to make it the cheaper option (which still makes no sense to me).

woahwoahwoahwoahwoah.

I ordered one too. Is this the uncharted 3 bundle? I was due to arrive yesterday. I wasn't worried before but I am a bit now :s

Choc

Banned
shanshan310 said:
but its all sticky down there, and there's that end bit you aren't supposed to eat...

woahwoahwoahwoahwoah.

I ordered one too. Is this the uncharted 3 bundle? I was due to arrive yesterday. I wasn't worried before but I am a bit now :s

congratulations, what will the babies name be

shanshan310 said:
hahhahahah! Oh dear.

But seriously, how else can I describe it?

Haha, i know, only kidding.

I am in agreement with you. I usually use a knife to take the top off or just peel it down from the REAL END *glares at omi*

Choc

Banned
The dumbest fucking piece of journalism i have read recently. Basically the article is about how Bethesda put a homage to notch in Skyrim.

Located on the very top of the Throat of the World, you’ll find a very special artifact — the Notched Pickaxe in The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim. The Pickaxe is the signature tool from Minecraft, but what really seals this deal is the “Notched” in Notched Pickaxe. The creator of Minecraft, Markus Persson, goes by the name “Notch” online. Get the idea now? Check out the stats on this very special pickaxe below.

and then

Whatever the case, a Notched Pickaxe can also be found in The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, which predates Minecraft.

thus making our entire point it being a homage to minecraft, moot and dumb

Top Bottom