• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

jambo

shanshan310 said:
but its all sticky down there, and there's that end bit you aren't supposed to eat...

qyXCa.jpg

legend166

BanShunsaku said:
Further to my post earlier this morning regarding my PC, I've decided it is time for a new build.

I'll probably being doing so early next year or next month, I don't really follow PC build stuff so I have a couple of questions:

- how much do I need to spend these days for something pretty decent?

- where is the best place to order stuff from (I'm in Sydney)

I might request some suggested builds from AusPCGAf closer to when I'm going to order but I wouldn't mind just getting an idea of how much I need to spend.

If you want a physical store, you can try arc.com.au

That's where I got my stuff from. Really good.

Danoss

shanshan310 said:
but its all sticky down there, and there's that end bit you aren't supposed to eat...
Who says you can't eat that bit? I think it's just the bit most people don't eat. Can't you just break it off anyway?

shanshan310 said:
I ordered one too. Is this the uncharted 3 bundle? I was due to arrive yesterday. I wasn't worried before but I am a bit now :s
Don't worry, I think he's overreacting. Expedited shipping can take around 2 weeks using the carrier it's with from Amazon, it has barely been 11 days. I've had that carrier leave one of my parcels on a dock for 6 days before moving it on. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Shaneus

Choc said:
one of the funniest things in Saints Row 3 is when tehy
start singing songs in the car
lol :D
I wish they could've licensed the Benny Hill theme for when you ran around naked in SR2. I hope you can do that in 3 as well.

Had a quick go of it last night, up to the bit where your first hideout is Shaundi's ex-boyfriend's place. Shame I can't run it at all-ultra settings at full res, but I still had a blast anyway. Hopefully the latest Catalyst drivers and maybe a patch or two down the track from Volition will help me get there. Still looks REALLY fucking good, too.

Deeku

shanshan310 said:
I was worried about that too. But then I tried it yesterday, and either the sticky bit wasn't there, or it got taken off with the skin.

jambo

commanderdeek said:
I was worried about that too. But then I tried it yesterday, and either the sticky bit wasn't there, or it got taken off with the skin.

Wait, so what are we talking about?

markot

Banned
Choc said:
The dumbest fucking piece of journalism i have read recently. Basically the article is about how Bethesda put a homage to notch in Skyrim.

Located on the very top of the Throat of the World, you’ll find a very special artifact — the Notched Pickaxe in The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim. The Pickaxe is the signature tool from Minecraft, but what really seals this deal is the “Notched” in Notched Pickaxe. The creator of Minecraft, Markus Persson, goes by the name “Notch” online. Get the idea now? Check out the stats on this very special pickaxe below.

and then

Whatever the case, a Notched Pickaxe can also be found in The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, which predates Minecraft.

thus making our entire point it being a homage to minecraft, moot and dumb
lolololol

Shaneus

vaelic said:
Saints Row The Third Crashes, Freezes, Stuttering, Sound, and Performance Fixes

Read more: http://segmentnext.com/2011/11/15/s...ng-sound-and-performance-fixes/#ixzz1dpBNVFLF
Damn. Looks like the following issues apply to me:

5# Saints Row: The Third Freezes
If you have a Quad Core processor – Open up task manager and click the Saints Row The Third executable. Now set the affinity to use only cores 0 and 1 or simply run the game in two cores to resolve the random freezes and crashes.

8# Saints Row: The Third Low Frame Rates (FPS Fix)
You can tweak the graphics variables in the ini configuration file below to squeeze all performance from your machine.

Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\saints row the third\display.ini

14# Slow Loading – Or Stuck At Loading Bug Fix

Open up Steam.
Go to Library and right-click on Saints Row The Third and click on Properties.
Click on the tab “Local Files”.
Click “Verify Integrity of Game Cache”.
Go! play the game.

But, I think new Catalyst drivers are due today (15th in the US) so maybe that will bring some Crossfire/AMD-specific improvements as well. Shit about 4-core PCs though, you'd think they'd accommodate for that given that pretty much no-one with a semi-decent rig runs dual-core.

giri

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So two things: A Dance with Dragons never ends and
the addition of new characters that just get pulled out of GRRM's arse is just ridiculous. Worst offender is Prince Aegon who basically came out of nowhere. Also, Dany's story is pissing me off. This Daario guy is barely a character and she wastes all this time in Meereen with him when she should be marching on Westeros? Ugh.

GRRM could have condensed this and AFfC into one book and been all the better for it.

Also, I have this dull feeling of hype in the pit of my stomach when I think about Skyward Sword. Not nearly as strong as it might have been when I was a kid, but I haven't been quite this hyped for a game in years.
Seriously, ASOIF is grossly over rated.

Need to buy a new car. This one is taking a piss out of my savings.

In the last 6 months, I've spent more than 2000 bucks getting it fixed. Parts replaced: alternator, brake pads, brake booster, drive belt, fuel pump, water pump, and some more that I can't even recall.

Now the gearbox is fucked.

FML. I was going to get a new one in February after coming back from vacation but I guess it has to be done now.

Looking at a toyota trade-in deal. They are giving minimum 2k on any old car. Don't think I can get more than 2.5k on my car anyhow.

Any recommendations? Budget 12k-15k max.

Rezbit

FallbackPants said:
I stop paying attention to GAF for a week or so (OK, its been longer than that) and I miss the birth of the much the much anticipated 5/5? Son of a bitch.

So whats the verdict on Skyrim? Considering I didn't really like Oblivion but loved Fallout 3. I know I'm weird like that.

What platform?

I liked Oblivion but was disappointed following Morrowind, thought F3 was pretty decent but only played through it once, and I absolutely love Skyrim. On PC the UI is sloppy and the performance strangely poor in weird places, but everything is improved from Oblivion, save for some cities being smaller and some of the questlines (seemingly) smaller. But the world as a whole and the plethora of quests are just a lot more interesting.

Rezbit

giri said:
Seriously, ASOIF is grossly over rated.

Just started Dance With Dragons. Loved Game of Thrones, didn't like Clash of Kings until the last 200 or so pages, Storm of Swords was AMAZING, but then Feast for Crows was nothing short of shit. Honestly at this point I just think there are too many characters. Feels like he might have bitten off more than he could chew?

Really struggled to get through Feast for Crows. At times I just had to put it down half way through a chapter.
So many shit chapters from Cersei's point of view. And Brienne is just the worst character. "I'm so ugly! But I can fight people! But I'm so ugly!"

giri

Rezbit said:
Just started Dance With Dragons. Loved Game of Thrones, didn't like Clash of Kings until the last 200 or so pages, Storm of Swords was AMAZING, but then Feast for Crows was nothing short of shit. Honestly at this point I just think there are too many characters. Feels like he might have bitten off more than he could chew?

Really struggled to get through Feast for Crows. At times I just had to put it down half way through a chapter.
So many shit chapters from Cersei's point of view. And Brienne is just the worst character. "I'm so ugly! But I can fight people! But I'm so ugly!"
Probably a combo of things. Not sure he thought he was going to get this many books, so a
lot of the people he kills off, i'm not sure he means too.

He has as many plot lines going when i stopped reading, as Wheel of Time, and thats in it's 15,000 page range now or something.

He drifts for long periods of time, then just SNAPS conclusions. I think he thinks it's a great story telling mechanism, keeping the reader guessing! but.... to some degree its just frustrating.

I could go on, i think it has a whole bunch of massive flaws. But others don't, or can over look them. And it's all personal. I personally think Wheel of Time is the ultimate in epic story telling, and would have read the series 20 odd times. Others would call me insane for that point.

Kritz

Banned
Also, footage for my first ever Kritz.net internet video review is "shot". I just need to put some voice over it.

giri said:
Probably a combo of things. Not sure he thought he was going to get this many books, so a
lot of the people he kills off, i'm not sure he means too.

He has as many plot lines going when i stopped reading, as Wheel of Time, and thats in it's 15,000 page range now or something.

He drifts for long periods of time, then just SNAPS conclusions. I think he thinks it's a great story telling mechanism, keeping the reader guessing! but.... to some degree its just frustrating.

I could go on, i think it has a whole bunch of massive flaws. But others don't, or can over look them. And it's all personal. I personally think Wheel of Time is the ultimate in epic story telling, and would have read the series 20 odd times. Others would call me insane for that point.
One of the worst parts is that
winter is only just coming now.

Maybe he never meant for the series to get this successful and now feels like he has to stretch it out or something. Thing is, having his main GoT characters fudge around while he tells these inconsequential side stories (seriously, what have Brienne, Davos or the Dornish actually added to the story that couldn't have been done off-screen?) is frustrating, like trying to watch a series where whole episodes are nothing but filler.

Also, Aegon, Daario, Jon Connington, Doran, Arianne, the Sand Snakes, Davos, Theon and every last one of the ironborn (even the children) all need to die in a fire for bogging down the story with their stupid bullshit. Preferably at the hands of Melisandre. Especially Aegon.

commanderdeek said:
So uhhh, anyone want to give me their pokewalker? I think I lost mine:(
Aren't they tied to your save, though?

Yagharek

Choc said:
TIL

channel 9 is doing big brother next year

I hate to ask this, but out of interest, who gives a damn?
I thought that show and channel had faded out of relevance a decade ago?

What next, news about mash reruns??

Sorry choc, not aimed at you just the content your post was about.

commissar

giri said:
I personally think Wheel of Time is the ultimate in epic story telling, and would have read the series 20 odd times. Others would call me insane for that point.
I love the Wheel of Time but personally at least Martin's political machinations are still interesting (if you can put aside wanting to know what happens next in the interesting bits). Jordan's politicking was awful, I would skip multiple chapters on a second read they were so damn boring.

They're bringing back Big Brother? Oh God, why? Why can't they let that corpse just stay dead? It's utterly worthless without the uncut stuff anyway and even then, it's 98% just bogans sitting around scratching their arses. If I wanted to see that, I'd just go down to the Gold Coast >:-(

Deeku

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Aren't they tied to your save, though?
Oh man it apparently is;_; It's somewhere in the house, just don't know where...

Also, quoting your post almost spoiled stuff again lol.

giri

commissar said:
I love the Wheel of Time but personally at least Martin's political machinations are still interesting (if you can put aside wanting to know what happens next in the interesting bits). Jordan's politicking was awful, I would skip multiple chapters on a second read they were so damn boring.
Won't disagree, but if you haven't read the WoT FAQ, you probably don't realise how much you probably over looked. There is so much ridiculous detail in WoT. Jordon was long winded, but i think most people would feel like they could re-create most of his cities and be fairly historically accurate.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Box of Bunnies said:
Isn't she still on Saturday Disney? Wouldn't her mind being on something I'd actually watch, though.

She was, I woke up Saturday morning early enough to watch it to and was surprised.

Clipper

shanshan310 said:

woahwoahwoahwoahwoah.

I ordered one too. Is this the uncharted 3 bundle? I was due to arrive yesterday. I wasn't worried before but I am a bit now :s
Yes. Uncharted 3 bundle. Was yours shipped by i-parcel as well? Check their tracking service and perhaps send them an e-mail to get the local Aus. Post tracking number. It'd be very strange if both our packages have gone missing, though...

Gazunta said:
Bring back Wombat.

Bring back Boris' Breakfast Club.

Just bring back anything with Agro in it actually.

Bring back Anne-Maree!!!

Also, I may or may not have owned this at some stage in my life:

250x251_NGBoy_AgroSoar.jpg

Shaneus

Choc said:
i dont get why skyrim etc is in that thread lol

i am guessing its an unauthorised OT

:)
Yeah. You can also probably tell by the fact that it's been locked and the OP has been banned ;)

Gazunta

Agro Soar was by Melbourne House / Beam Software
And was just one of their other 2D platform games with the main sprite changed for the Australian market

My favourite Boris' Breakfast Club memory was them spending ten minutes devoted to watchiing some guy play Defender of the Crown on the Amiga. That was amaaaaaaazing.

Clipper

Man, I used to love Boris. Good to see some other guys reminiscing. I was also in the audience for the Saturday morning Agro show thing one week which was pretty awesome. One of the few times I've been on TV (in one of the screaming kid back-from-ads shots).

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:
Bring back Anne-Maree!!!

Also, I may or may not have owned this at some stage in my life:

250x251_NGBoy_AgroSoar.jpg
You think that's bad? I had this, albeit on cassette:
AGROSCA1.jpg

Gaz, what was the game? Was Agro the first one or the one the sprites were swapped to

I once had a drawing I did of Agro shown on cartoon connection. From memory I think I won a prize pack of some sort. I was king of the quadrangle that week.

Top Bottom