• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baltimore removes Confederate Monuments overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Map added by AFP:
mYI85kk.jpg

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/897793820821118977

Just look how fucking dirty this is.

Look at the sudden and specific need to put a ton of these statues in front of schools, then realize that Brown v. Board of Education was decided in 1954.

FUCK this makes me heated. Shit!

Socreges

Banned
Had no idea there were so many Confederate monuments across the US. All I knew about were selected southern ctities with Confederate flags on occasion.

What do you all think about Confederate cemeteries that honour the dead? Personally I'd be ok with that, but I guess it's a bit tricky.

Mahonay

Banned
Just look how fucking dirty this is.

Look at the sudden and specific need to put a ton of these statues in front of schools, then realize that Brown v. Board of Education was decided in 1954.

FUCK this makes me heated. Shit!
BUT MUH HISTORY. HOW WILL I KNOW?

Fuchsdh

I'd be tremendously happy to be a part of taking them town (and being paid well to do it,) but I'd also be scared that some crazy neo-Nazis may become violent while trying to "protect their heritage."

Most of the protestors are coming in from out-of-town for a lot of these places. I highly doubt Baltimore, a liberal city in a liberal state with a 63% black population was going to have a spontaneous fight about it. They took them down quickly because they had the opportunity and it prevents the sites from being possible future Charlottesvilles.*

*Even then, it was never going to happen in Baltimore. Picking Richmond and Charlottesville and Florida is most definitely a defensive plan by the white supremacists. They're trying to have the fight on what they think is friendlier ground.

From a historical standpoint, considering Baltimore was certainly the most hostile city towards the Union during the War, it's an interesting change.

13 statues in Oklahoma.

We weren't even a fucking state.
I've lost track, but the only one I know for sure is a statue is in Durant. But there are schools named after Stand Watie and Lee (and I'm sure others). Watie in particular annoys me because it's one of the worst possible choices to honor a tribal leader and I just can see them using the "but he was a Cherokee" defense against changing it.

AFAIK they aren't protected, despite a state rep. from Durant trying to hijack a senate bill to protect monuments from conflicts when Oklahoma was a state.

Edit: There's a cemetery in OKC, too, now that I'm thinking about it.

Slayven

Had no idea there were so many Confederate monuments across the US. All I knew about were selected southern ctities with Confederate flags on occasion.

What do you all think about Confederate cemeteries that honour the dead? Personally I'd be ok with that, but I guess it's a bit tricky.

A lot can get done if the underlying message is "Fuck Black people"

Sunster

Someone I know (which is odd considering we're not american) has been calling this 'PC Justice' and that its racist on facebook because they never took the pyramids down and there's still stuff the nazis built in germany.

a) pyramids are ancient history and have 0 negative effects being up while numerous positives. nazi shit is still in living memory and inspires violence.

b) Germany took down everything glorifying nazis I'm pretty sure. Buildings and things created by nazis but in no other way relate to them are fine where they are. They don't inspire or glorify hate.

Socreges

Banned
Why the fuck are there 6 confederate things in California lol?
I think a monument was removed yesterday. And two schools were renamed from Robert E Lee elementary last year. So it's changing.

Apparently there's a town called 'Confederate Corners' that was settled by southerners. Wonder when that'll be renamed.

/Wikipedia

Nista

All you goofballs making the preserving history argument need to take a trip over to Gettysburg and Antietam. That's where any statues deserve to live, in proper context with the thousands of lives lost on the battlefield. Not glorified in the middle of a city.

I'm glad to see them gone. They weren't inspiring any Baltimoreans to support white supremacy, so those long dead jerks wasted their money.

Khoryos

To be clear, here, aren't most of the people in this topic making the "preserve history" argument calling for them to be taken down and put in museums, not left in place?

I sure as hell am, and I apologise if that wasn't clear enough.
I can see great potential in using them to make a striking display based on that graph of their erection dates.

Caelus

To be clear, here, aren't most of the people in this topic making the "preserve history" argument calling for them to be taken down and put in museums, not left in place?

I sure as hell am, and I apologise if that wasn't clear enough.
I can see great potential in using them to make a striking display based on that graph of their erection dates.

They're a waste of space either way.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The argument of needing to keep these statues around so we "remember" is seriously the most remedial argument a person can make. Like no seriously, it's an absolutely fucking terrible argument.

Did you know there were statues of King George in the 13 colonies? They were all torn down and melted to be used for weapons and other things. Yet somehow magically you still know about the American Revolutionary War.

Almost as if...the removal of pointless statues doesn't impede learning about history or something.

Also the argument of memorializing Confederate soldiers is equally remedial. They didn't want to be part of the US, and they lost so it seems pretty dumb to keep up statues of people who didn't even want to be part of the US. The argument of memorializing them because they're human and blah blah, is also stupid because by that notion none of you who are making this equally remedial argument can argue against having statues of Japanese fighter pilots who bombed Pearl Harbor. I mean after all, they were simply following orders and were humans too.

Well having these statues around clearly didn't make people learn how to be less racist or remember more about American history.

Geez, that's a lot of statues.

I say move the ones from the 1800s to museums (I like old shit, sue me), the rest can be demolished, blown up, tossed into the sea, etc.

Amon37

There are monuments in states like Idaho, which didn't even exist during the Civil War. The Confederacy has been weirdly glorified by this whole country until recently.

Ya there is one here in Arizona lol. It's not a statue of a person but it is confedera monument.

Almighty

To reinforce just how recent most of these monuments are (and, for some years, what the spikes correspond to) here's a little graphic. As someone said, these monuments are NOT part of this nation's history, they were primarily used as a message to minorities to sit down and shut up. That massive spike after Plessy v Fergusen is no coincidence, especially with most being in front of courthouses. Then you have the huge flood of school-based ones during the Civil Rights movement.

This argument makes no sense to me. You and others argue that they have no historical value then go on to say why these statues were put up which to me sounds like something that might give them historical value.

As always I am for taking them down, putting them in a warehouse, and letting experts decide if they are worth keeping. Based on what I have read most of them wouldn't make the cut, but a handful might be worth keeping around in a museum.

The 1 in Massachusetts is a memorial for prisoners who died at Fort Warren during the war.

As of this morning it's been boarded up: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2017/08/16/massachusetts-confederate-monument-boarded-up/

Governor Baker is trying to get it removed, but since it's on a National Landmark site the state can't just up and remove it without going through the National Park Service

Edit: it was actually boxed up/covered a few days ago; here's a tweet detailing the process to get it removed more: https://twitter.com/stannenb/status/897267446045913089

BasicMath

I think getting rid of all this stuff is really, really good in the long run. But in the short term, it's going to divide the country even more.

It has to be done by any means necessary though.

Garlador

13 statues in Oklahoma.

We weren't even a fucking state.

I saw that. From Oklahoma too. We didn't even participate in the Civil War and weren't a state at all until nearly 50 years later.

And yet I see so many confederate flags and people talking about their "southern pride"...

MIMIC

Banned
I think a monument was removed yesterday. And two schools were renamed from Robert E Lee elementary last year. So it's changing.

Apparently there's a town called 'Confederate Corners' that was settled by southerners. Wonder when that'll be renamed.

/Wikipedia

As of 2016, CALIFORNIA had schools named after Robert E. Lee????????????

At first when I saw there were four of these in Pennsylvania I was incensed. Upon researching it seems that most of them are historical markers and museum pieces at the Gettysburg museum and historic area. While I'm not a supporter of memorializing anything confederate I think having them in so specific a historical context as a battlefield historic park and museum is a bit different.

Armaros

As of 2016, CALIFORNIA had schools named after Robert E. Lee????????????

You know that CA has sections of hardcore GoP support in places like the valley.

It's just the coastal cities that completely drown out their votes.

Hence why CA has GOP members in the house.

For all the people saying “erasing history” y’all need to realize this shit is in countless books and you can read about it all over the internet and libraries everywhere. I’ve never seen these statues provide any education towards our countries dark past, but rather they stand to glorify these people.

The Kree

Banned
For all the people saying “erasing history” y’all need to realize this shit is in countless books and you can read about it all over the internet and libraries everywhere. I’ve never seen these statues provide any education towards our countries dark past, but rather they stand to glorify these people.

The people arguing on behalf of the confederacy aren't big on knowledge and education to begin with, so this is a moot point.

Not only that, but the confederacy weren't heroes, we can remember the civil war with a monument to the lives lost on the correct side of history instead of a tribute to monsters.

Azuran

Banned
All the "moderates" in this thread saying that this pieces of trash need to be stored in a museum to preserve "history" are fucking delusional. Maybe you guys should open a book and find out why people are against these monuments existing in the first place.

Burn them all down including the ones made during the 1800s. There's no need to glorify traitorous slave owners in 2017.

Septic360

Banned
To reinforce just how recent most of these monuments are (and, for some years, what the spikes correspond to) here's a little graphic. As someone said, these monuments are NOT part of this nation's history, they were primarily used as a message to minorities to sit down and shut up. That massive spike after Plessy v Fergusen is no coincidence, especially with most being in front of courthouses. Then you have the huge flood of school-based ones during the Civil Rights movement.
Nnuo6Wl.jpg

source:
https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/whoseheritage_splc.pdf

deezayum

Reeks

What history? This is Baltimore, part of the Union. Go look up what years these monuments were erected.
They should go in a museum of tolerance with a plaque stating they were raised in the civil rights movement and why they were removed.

Edit: or shitcan them

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
To which I'm just going "do you even know when the statues were built?"

Or, my personal favorite...
Hah, that quote is amazing.

I saw that. From Oklahoma too. We didn't even participate in the Civil War and weren't a state at all until nearly 50 years later.

And yet I see so many confederate flags and people talking about their "southern pride"...
Yeah, it's transparent bullshit.

And wow @ California having schools named after Robert E. Lee... just.... how

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom